ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP-UTSA Football Game Moved to ESPN2, 8:15 p.m. Kickoff on Nov. 6

Years ago, under Stull we went into Wyoming with an 8-1 record. They were 9-0 and ranked 10th in the nation. It was televised on CBS, and was UTEP's only National TV appearance ever. We got our clocks cleaned 51-6. The crowd for the next home game was under 30,000. To me, the bigger game is Florida Atlantic. Because if UTEP does not win, they will have a decent crowd, but nothing like it could be regardless of how much you hype the game. The game this weekend is what everyone should be talking about, because the week after amounts to a shell of itself if they do not win.

Years ago, under Stull we went into Wyoming with an 8-1 record. They were 9-0 and ranked 10th in the nation. It was televised on CBS, and was UTEP's only National TV appearance ever.
UTEP opened the 2017 Season at OU on Fox. So, this instance might have been the first, but not the only.

Reactions: Rocketsr

Reactions: MinerFan79
Last time Game Day was at a CUSA school was in 2011 for UH vs SMU. Houston was 10-0 but SMU was 6-4 and had lost 3 of the last 4 games.

With Traylor staying, does this shift even more momentum towards UTSA? This could get ugly if the Miners aren’t careful. Dimel it’s time to open up your offense. The crowd needs to show up. Saturday can’t come soon enough

Yes, thousands is a gross exaggeration. They traveled poorly to the NM Bowl back when also.
I don't normally do this, but I feel the need to correct what some of you are saying about us, starting with this. I was at the bowl game in New Mexico, and we pretty much filled up our side of the stadium. Been looking for pictures, but I found a video and if you look at about the 1:45-2:00 segment, you can see what we had there. Granted, ALL of those fans on that side weren't ours, but as someone who was there, I can assure you that most of that side was ours. Not sure how many it was exactly, but "traveled poorly" is a gross misrepresentation, and I have no clue where you're getting your info from if that's what you believe to be the case.

YouTube Highlights of New Mexico Bowl

Hard to say since they copied our colors.
Here's another one I need to correct. First of all, every school in the UT system must have orange as one of their colors, though the particular shade of orange can vary. Ours is definitely different than yours. Whether another color is added (or even what the other color is) is an option left up to each individual school. It says on your own UTEP Alumni link that even though UTEP was established in 1914, you guys didn't add blue until the early 1980's. UTSA wasn't established until 1969, and opened its doors for the first classes in 1973, but we had already chosen blue to complement the orange in August of 1975.

Link to UTEP History
Link to UTSA History

Here's another one I need to correct. First of all, every school in the UT system must have orange as one of their colors, though the particular shade of orange can vary. Ours is definitely different than yours. Whether another color is added (or even what the other color is) is an option left up to each individual school. It says on your own UTEP Alumni link that even though UTEP was established in 1914, you guys didn't add blue until the early 1980's. UTSA wasn't established until 1969, and opened its doors for the first classes in 1973, but we had already chosen blue to complement the orange in August of 1975.

Link to UTEP History
Link to UTSA History

get-out-leave.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TxRdKiller

Link to UTEP History
Link to UTSA History
A lot of people here are very insecure and believe UTEP is a program to copy. Nobody in their right mind would copy this athletics department, especially the last 10 years.

I don't normally do this, but I feel the need to correct what some of you are saying about us, starting with this. I was at the bowl game in New Mexico, and we pretty much filled up our side of the stadium. Been looking for pictures, but I found a video and if you look at about the 1:45-2:00 segment, you can see what we had there. Granted, ALL of those fans on that side weren't ours, but as someone who was there, I can assure you that most of that side was ours. Not sure how many it was exactly, but "traveled poorly" is a gross misrepresentation, and I have no clue where you're getting your info from if that's what you believe to be the case.

YouTube Highlights of New Mexico Bowl
That video doesn't really prove your point.

Reactions: Rot
A lot of people here are very insecure and believe UTEP is a program to copy. Nobody in their right mind would copy this athletics department, especially the last 10 years.
Exactly. Our recipe is a disaster to copy. No athletic facilities upgrades, poor coaching pay, cheap fans, etc...

That's why UTEP will be with SHSU and Jacksonville St while UTSA moves on to the AAC and bigger things.

Reactions: Lil_Train
That video doesn't really prove your point.
I'm aware of that, but it's the best I could do for a game played several years ago. It's certainly more than what MinerinWisconsin brought to the table though. You guys can go around saying what you want about our attendance, our colors, or anything else you wish to bring up, but it's clear that some of you are making no effort to do your homework before you post. At least I'm making the effort to prove it even though I was actually there to begin with, and have no reason to lie.

That said, no telling how many fans we'll bring to El Paso on Saturday, but I honestly doubt it'll be in the thousands. I can at least agree with a couple of you on that. I'll be one of them though, and it'll be hard to tell who's who anyway since our colors are so much alike. You guys have a good team this year, and I'm looking forward to the game. And btw, you also have a beautiful campus! Been there a couple times before, and it'll be interesting to see how it may have changed since my last visit a couple years ago.

I'm aware of that, but it's the best I could do for a game played several years ago. It's certainly more than what MinerinWisconsin brought to the table though. You guys can go around saying what you want about our attendance, our colors, or anything else you wish to bring up, but it's clear that some of you are making no effort to do your homework before you post. At least I'm making the effort to prove it even though I was actually there to begin with, and have no reason to lie.

That said, no telling how many fans we'll bring to El Paso on Saturday, but I honestly doubt it'll be in the thousands. I can at least agree with a couple of you on that. I'll be one of them though, and it'll be hard to tell who's who anyway since our colors are so much alike. You guys have a good team this year, and I'm looking forward to the game. And btw, you also have a beautiful campus! Been there a couple times before, and it'll be interesting to see how it may have changed since my last visit a couple years ago.

i-regret-nothing-dont-care.gif

Link to UTEP History
Link to UTSA History
And how about the hand gesture ? Will you agree that was copied from Utep ?

I thought the Sun Bowl was just significantly upgraded
No all they did was replace bleachers with some want to be fancy pavilions.

These are the time of athletic facilities upgrades I'm talking about.....

Buildings student athletes will use and not some fancy seats that have gone mainly unused all season.

No all they did was replace bleachers with some want to be fancy pavilions.

These are the time of athletic facilities upgrades I'm talking about.....

Buildings student athletes will use and not some fancy seats that have gone mainly unused all season.
They did more than that.

And how about the hand gesture ? Will you agree that was copied from Utep ?
On UTEP's link below, it says it's "BELIEVED to have originated in the early 1980's at a cheerleading camp attended by UTEP students". It's definitely murky and vague, and there's no definitive timestamp.

UTEP History Link

If you click on our link below, and scroll to the very bottom, there's a story about how a group of pledge brothers came up with the sign at Wurstfest in New Braunfels in 1979 and took it back to campus. It didn't catch on right away because UTSA didn't even have any sports teams until 1981, but you can definitely see in the picture of the cheerleaders from 1982 (second year we had athletics) that it was already being used then.

UTSA History Link

So that one isn't quite as crystal clear as the colors, but you have to admit we have more evidence to support our claim, with the story from 1979 later shared in our school newspaper as well as the cheerleader pic from 1982. It's certainly more than just saying it's believed to have started in the 1980's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT