ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs APP St

Didn't we finish third place last year? You make it sound like we have finished in last place for two seasons
Yes, last year we ended the season 15-17 and our RPI was 222. Come on guys stop exaggerating. Things are going great. I met Floyd and we ate Mexican Food while talking about the 80s, this guy is gonna get it done. You guys are gonna feel awfully silly when he finally does it. You'll see.

Didn't we finish third place last year? You make it sound like we have finished in last place for two seasons
I hear what you are saying but what does it matter? We got drilled by 30 to end the season when it was most important (to a team we beat during the season). If we got off to slow starts and then consistantly won our conference tourny say 4 of the past 8 past years then it wouldn't matter cause it would be expected. Instead the norm is to start slow, peak mid-season and then flail at the end. In 7 years we have ZERO conference championships, conference tourny championships, post season wins and NCAA appearances. When Floyd was hired we all thought it would be exactly the opposite. Why do we have to come from behind every game? Add in this player turnover, his temper and his attitude towards the media....Its time to go. I still hope the miners win this year but not so Floyd can stay.

Who cares if we finished in 3rd place. Tim has done nothing in the 7-1/4 years he has been here. He has been given the most resources than any other basketball coach here and he can't do jack in a weak ass conference. Tim is done as a coach. Its time to except reality.

FIrst off this conference is a lot better than you make it... the perception of this conference is awful and because you all don't know the teams doesn't make it awful... the top half is strong and could compete anywhere and utep finished in the top 3 in that which is not awful.... not the best... not where we should be....this season is early and the three that were expected to lead have been awful.... once they pick it up we will be fine... Floyd has three very promising freshman in gilyard Wade and smith.... and we are just starting this season... how about we judge the season when it's over and stop whining

... once they pick it up we will be fine... Floyd has three very promising freshman in gilyard Wade and smith.... and we are just starting this season... how about we judge the season when it's over and stop whining
We hear these comments at the beginning of every season and we have been waiting for them to “pick it up “ for years now. If you were AD, you would give Floyd 30 years to finallly do something here.

You need to stop watching Iowa State and USC games all day when Floyd was coaching at those schools and come back to reality.

Reactions: El Paso 777
I don't know what to say except what's obvious. Paul Thomas is lost for some reason. Omega is inconsistent and not taking the lead as a SR. Frazier is the best player, but has been out of basketball for awhile and will be even better and hopefully knock down key free throws. It's early and there's both hope and disappointment so far. Hope they can pull out these close wins and at least go into conference 7-5 and then be a top 4 seed and make a run in the tournament. I really don't know what to say that hasn't been said, we'll just see how it all turns out.

Just walked in the door after being on the road, driving home from New Orleans where my son's Coogs lost to Tulane yesterday. Tu-fukking-lane! Now I get on here and am reading that we lost to App State? What a shitty way to cap off a weekend.

Sounds like nearly everybody, the exceptions being PURPLE, MinerJo and I'm assuming Vegas, want Floyd gone. It can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned. GTFOOH Floyd!

FIrst off this conference is a lot better than you make it... the perception of this conference is awful and because you all don't know the teams doesn't make it awful... the top half is strong and could compete anywhere and utep finished in the top 3 in that which is not awful.... not the best... not where we should be....this season is early and the three that were expected to lead have been awful.... once they pick it up we will be fine... Floyd has three very promising freshman in gilyard Wade and smith.... and we are just starting this season... how about we judge the season when it's over and stop whining

I just want to know Purple, when does Floyd stop being the man? When is enough, enough? I was ecstatic when they hired him and I was all in for the first four years. I stopped believing in the fifth year and the last two years I've wanted him fired. Why do you still think that Floyd should have the privilege to coach this team? Why shouldn't we hire someone else?

Nope just not judging this WHOLE season on 4 games

Obviously you're not judging based on the WHOLE body of work (last 7 years) either.

PURPLE, you're a nice guy so I'll keep it civil, but I so badly want to hurl an insult or two your way when you defend Floyd or rationalize why we haven't won the conference championship or conference tourney under CTF. You and I have had similar discussions for about 4 years now and each year you say you're nearing the end of your rope with Floyd. I know you will never reach the end of that rope. That you're ok with a 3rd place finish in CUSA, despite how underrated it may be, says it all. I'm surprised you even get on the forum with all of us "whiners". Its probably only gonna get worse as long as Tim is captain of the ship.

Wow third place in a crappy conference that has only one bid. And your happy about it. That about sums it up.
Do you really think the Mountain West wants us now? We could finish 8th there and you would be jumping up and down saying Floyd didn't finish in last.

The fact that UTEP only beat Louisiana College and Western Michigan last season OOC and finished in the Top 3 of CUSA tells you something and it's not good for CUSA. UTEP lost twice to WAC champ NMSU and the WAC had a higher RPI than CUSA. CUSA is a horrible basketball league.

Can you please post what significant victories CUSA has had over the last 3 seasons in out of conference.

Wow, this crap again. It is so predictable. This sounds like a quote every single year just change some of the names of the players to protect the innocent. If the conference was any good, it wouldn't be a one bid league.
Seriously, we cannot improve until you admit Floyd is not the answer and move on. But maybe you are really a NMSU fan and are truly happy about our state of affairs and this is simply a way to keep our team down. I am thinking this has to be the case.

Enough with the RPI argument shovel guy. Go shovel your Bull somewhere else. Keep harping on the one year the RPI favord that garbage conference. Why dont you tell us how the wac has fared in the last 5-10 years RPI-wise since you hold those ratingd in high-regard?

There are other metrics and rankings that clearly show CUSA is better than the WACk. You speak of OOC wins, well how about NCAA tourney wins by MTSU and UAB? When was the last time ANY team from the WAC won a tournament game, not the NIT, dum dum, the real thing!

The fact that UTEP only beat Louisiana College and Western Michigan last season OOC and finished in the Top 3 of CUSA tells you something and it's not good for CUSA. UTEP lost twice to WAC champ NMSU and the WAC had a higher RPI than CUSA. CUSA is a horrible basketball league.

Can you please post what significant victories CUSA has had over the last 3 seasons in out of conference.

Do you not watch the NCAA tournament??

Mid tenn state beat Michigan state who had at one point in the season been ranked number one
Uab beat 9th ranked Iowa state in the NCAA tourney
Mid tenn state beat Minnesota last year as a 12 seed

There is your 3

Do you not watch the NCAA tournament??

Mid tenn state beat Michigan state who had at one point in the season been ranked number one
Uab beat 9th ranked Iowa state in the NCAA tourney
Mid tenn state beat Minnesota last year as a 12 seed

There is your 3

Those are not out of conference wins, those are NCAA Tournament wins. Winning or losing tournament games does not justify how good/bad a conference is. Again, out of conference games. Name same wins CUSA has had the last 3 seasons.

Who cares about what other CUSA teams did in the tourney. The important thing here is Floyd has not come close meeting expectations at UTEP. He has underachieved here and has been a disappointment. Do you feel he has met expectations here?

It's just how Floyd lovers defend UTEP crapping the bed. By justifying how 2 teams did recently in the NCAA Tournament, they want to claim that CUSA is some solid conference filled with bracket busting teams.

Remember, MTSU and LaT3ch came from "lower" conferences and have been able to win regular season or conference tournaments. While, UTEP is stuck holding their want blaming others and transfers for their shortcomings.

I want Floyd gone, but I also want the team to win. Personally I enjoy the games and breaking down the players and the team. Right now, its hard not to be frustrated because of the losses, but I'm still trying to be positive and look at what could be different from a game/player perspective. After all, the players play the game. If anybody has any more basketball insight other than 'Fire Floyd' or boring sarcasm then that would be cool.

Last edited:
Those are not out of conference wins, those are NCAA Tournament wins. Winning or losing tournament games does not justify how good/bad a conference is. Again, out of conference games. Name same wins CUSA has had the last 3 seasons.

That's the funniest thing I have ever heard! The NCAA tournament defines all... don't give me that load of crap... funny thing is I knew you would spin that

And with the way you are thinking since winning or losing NCAA tournament games doesn't justify anything then we are doing just fine

Here is a tournament stat for you, UTEP is a combined 1-7 in the last 3 Tournaments that it has played in:

2017: 0-3 at the Puerto Rico Tournament.
2016: 0-2 at the Don Haskins Sun Bowl Tournament.
2016: 1-2 at the Charleston Tournament.

If you go back and add the last 4 tournaments that UTEP has played in, then you would add the 2015 Don Haskins Sun Bowl Tournament where UTEP went 1-1. So UTEP is currently 2-8 in it’s last 4 Tournaments that it has played in.

We also currently have 6 losses in a row in tournament games(counting non-conference Tournaments only, although adding in the CUSA Tournament does not improve numbers much, as we are only 2-2 in the CUSA Tourney over the last 2 years).

Last edited:
That's the funniest thing I have ever heard! The NCAA tournament defines all... don't give me that load of crap... funny thing is I knew you would spin that

And with the way you are thinking since winning or losing NCAA tournament games doesn't justify anything then we are doing just fine

You're right, NCAA wins are important, but you need to win games to get there. It's not just a lottery system where they pick 68 teams at random. You need win OOC games to get at-large bids. UTEP is already eliminated from an at-large berth because they play in a horrible conference and just went 0-3 in a tournament and don't play anybody else.

So because CUSA teams don't beat good teams during OOC, they don't get at-large bids and are considered a bad league. Don't you get that? Did you ride the short bus in school???

Again, what are the biggest OOC wins CUSA has had the last 3 years? Easy question, probably take you 20 minutes to look it up.

I don't care what everyone thinks... this conference over the past three years has beaten teams when it matters most and that's the NCAA tourney ... top 6 teams can play in any conference

Reactions: MinerJo
I want Floyd gone, but I also want the team to win. Personally I enjoy the games and breaking down the players and the team Right now, its hard not to he frustrated because of the losses, but I'm still trying to be positive and look at what could be different from a game/player perspective. After all, the players play the game. If anybody has any more basketball insight other than 'Fire Floyd' or boring sarcasm then that would be cool.
I think Frazier is a more dynamic player than anyone expected. Unfortunately, he failed to come through in the clutch these last couple of games at the free throw line. Paul Thomas also has to become more involved. He struggles against physical lineups, but was a complete no show this weekend. In reality, I think he is playing out of position at PF out of necessity. He is never going to be a dominant rebounder in my opinion, but he has produced more in the past.

Like you mentioned, there is some talent on the team this year. Hopefully, the team can turn it around, and grow from playing some solid teams. With regard to the staff, at the very least, they need to have the team ready to play from the start. It is tough overcoming big leads against solid teams. In the end, even if we had won this tournament, we still would have to win the conference tourney in order to go dancing. So, all we can do is move forward, and play better at home.

I don't care what everyone thinks... this conference over the past three years has beaten teams when it matters most and that's the NCAA tourney ... top 6 teams can play in any conference

So UTEP can play in any conference? LOLLLLLL!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

If the top 6 teams could play in any conference then why is CUSA only a 1 bid league? Surely if that that was the case, at least 2 CUSA teams would be playing in the tourney.

The run the Miners made to start the second half was very encouraging. Omega can really put pressure on the ball. I have concerns about depth behind Wilms. The Miners will be tough this year. The Miners will be capable of a run when the cusa tourney comes around. The chemistry and consistency should get better.

The Miners will be tough this year. The Miners will be capable of a run when the cusa tourney comes around. The chemistry and consistency should get better.

I hear the same thing all the time.

"will be capable"
"should get better"

I don't care what everyone thinks.......LOL. Not one of our top 6 teams would finish in the top 6 in any 2 bid league. Notice that they never answer the question when is Floyd done? They keep shoveling crap onto our feet and deflect. Not knowing how ridiculous they sound. They actually believe their delusions. This is why UTEP has digressed into the state it has (football and basketball). Sadly, I think we have found out who works in our athletic department. It has to be them.

I'm sorry but I totally disagree... yes our top 6 would finish top 6 in a two bid league...

Oh no please don't call me an idiot.... your opinion means soooo much to me! And I already have them to you unless Michigan state Minnesota and Iowa state have joined our conference and I didn't get the memo

CUSA is a one bid league because the teams of this conference arent winning enough OOC games against quality teams. UTEP just lost games against teams from the MWC and the Sun Belt, thus it's fair, more than fair, to conclude that CUSA is no better than either of those conferences. Every year recently NMSU from the WAC has owned us. We can't make the claim that the conference is underrated, every year, we have the chance to make a name for ourselves and our conference, every year we fail.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT