ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs APP St

There are only two things I disagree about what Floyd is doing

1) is not letting the players open up the offense
2) not scheduling a tougher schedule

I would rather see them play more teams like Boise even if it means going over there .... but with fickle fans maybe not the best idea... but I like playing against the best to see what you got and how far you have to go... always did that with the teams i coached

And this my other point with some of you all.... you guys would want this guy fired that had this record
16-14
17-12
19-12
16-12
15-17
17-15
18-14
19-14
16-16

This is actually worse that floyds record I believe

And I am saying patience

Last edited:
Those records are terrible, especially when you consider many of those losses are to Div2 oponnents, and most of the wins are against conf teams ( who sadly are as equally terrible as us).

Reactions: minermx07
And this my other point with some of you all.... you guys would want this guy fired that had this record
16-14
17-12
19-12
16-12
15-17
17-15
18-14
19-14
16-16

And I am saying patience
7 years is patience. Shoot 5 years is more than enough. How much patience do we need? 10 years? When is enough, enough?

Patience is this.....that coach who had that record was allowed to continue and went

27-7
28-6
24-9
19-17
25-9
31-5

If you had fired that coach you would have never seen any of these records which include 3 NCAA tournaments and 1 nit / 1 cit in 6 years

Patience is this.....that coach who had that record was allowed to continue and went

27-7
28-6
24-9
19-17
25-9
31-5

If you had fired that coach you would have never seen any of these records which include 3 NCAA tournaments and 1 nit / 1 cit in 6 years
MTSU?

27-7
28-6
24-9
19-17
25-9
31-5

So just one more year and then we can cut Floyd off?

The fan base has been more than patient. How many more years do we need to wait for results? Especially when every year there is so much roster turnover. Sadly UTEP has always been overly patient when it comes to failing coaches. Kugler should have gotten the boot well over a year ago, Price overstated his welcome. Three 2 win seasons felt like a lot in hindsight when it came to Nord. If it’s a money issue then so be it, the new AD needs to fundaise well and save up some cash so we can buy out sucky coaches.

I don’t think UTEP fans are unreasonable to demand that our MBB coach consistently make the post season, along with a conference title sprinkled in there. And in football we should see a bowl especially given the fact that 5-7 teams are consistently eligible.

Worst case scenario we should at least see some tangible improvement year to year but we have been stuck in neutral in basketball, constantly turning over the roster and football has somehow managed to become worse. Neither of these breed patience or optimism within the fan base.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I think what would make me want to fire him is if we lost another promising player from this years group of tyrus smith, gilyard, or Wade... that's a very promising class of freshmen

16-14
17-12
19-12
16-12
15-17
17-15
18-14
19-14
16-16

This is actually worse that floyds record I believe

And I am saying patience

That record is god awful!!!! Can you honestly look at those numbers and say they show any type of promise? Wheres the postseason? Wheres the win against top 25 talent?

How people can look at that record and be content. Id rather bring in a younger coach for less money and get the same results. Its crazy to me that people can look at that record and not expect more.

Its ok to expect more......

The fan base has been more than patient. How many more years do we need to wait for results? Especially when every year there is so much roster turnover. Sadly UTEP has always been overly patient when it comes to failing coaches. Kugler should have gotten the boot well over a year ago, Price overstated his welcome. Three 2 win seasons felt like a lot in hindsight. If it’s a money issue then so be it, the new AD needs to fundaise well and save up some cash so we can buy out sucky coaches.

I don’t think UTEP fans are unreasonable to demand that our MBB coach consistently make the post season, along with a conference title sprinkled in there. And in football we should see a bowl especially given the fact that 5-7 teams are consistently eligible.

Worst case scenario we should at least see some tangible improvement year to year but we have been stuck in neutral in basketball, constantly turning over the roster and football has somehow managed to become worse. Neither of these breed patience or optimism within the fan base.

So in other words the coach stated above you would have fired?

That record is god awful!!!! Can you honestly look at those numbers and say they show any type of promise? Wheres the postseason? Wheres the win against top 25 talent?

How people can look at that record and be content. Id rather bring in a younger coach for less money and get the same results. Its crazy to me that people can look at that record and not expect more.

Its ok to expect more......

Yeah and look what became of that coach!? He ended up doing really well once he built up that program

I would rather see them play more teams like Boise even if it means going over there .... but with fickle fans maybe not the best idea... but I like playing against the best to see what you got and how far you have to go... always did that with the teams i coached

Fickle fans? Hahaha

Guess cause it happened at MTSU it’s going to happen here.
We should all be jumping for joy, in five more years we’ll get a 12 or 13 th seed in the tournament.
Hell I might be dead or senile by then.

What PurpleFire is bringing up, is of course not 100% correct.

Davis was hired a few years after leaving the OVC to the Sun Belt. Also, does MTSU have the tradition, facilities, and fan support that UTEP did? No. They are a better program now, but that is because of Floyd.

What worked at MTSU 10 yeara ago, would not work now. Do you think of the success that Davis has had, they would be okay with those 9 mediocre seasons again? Hell no.

What PurpleFire is saying, is that its okay for UTEP to have 9 mediocre seasons in a row because it worked at MTSU 10 plus years ago. That is ridiculous. The days of giving a coach 4 plus years for results are gone or ending.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Instead of all this pointless nonsense.... how does Floyd fix what's going on this year?

I think this team does have the players

Its only pointless because your data/rational is shot down by countless posters. As stated above, its time for Floyd to go. You're his only supporter on here.

no kidding is not our job, but i thought since this was a message board after all i thought we could talk about ways we think would help..... sorry i forgot this board isn't here for that, just complaining

One suggestion is to not start Touchet or Flaggert again. I thought that decision was costly for the start of the App. St. game. On the flip side, I think having one of them in at the end of the game to shoot free throws and make the smart play would have been advisable. I would rather have Touchet coming off cold off of the bench and shooting freethrows than just about any of the other guys on the court, including Osborne, Gilyard and Wade. Not impressed with those guys at the line. They should all be way better.

There is no need to schedule a tougher schedule considering the top 6 CUSA teams can compete in any conference. Its pointless to make our schedule tougher when we playing CUSA teams who can compete with Duke and UNC.

Reactions: ShovelMan66
One suggestion is to not start Touchet or Flaggert again. I thought that decision was costly for the start of the App. St. game. On the flip side, I think having one of them in at the end of the game to shoot free throws and make the smart play would have been advisable. I would rather have Touchet coming off cold off of the bench and shooting freethrows than just about any of the other guys on the court, including Osborne, Gilyard and Wade. Not impressed with those guys at the line. They should all be way better.

How about not ever playing Touchet or Flaggert again.

Reactions: TW3miner
Not so sure on Floyd's days being numbered. Park is backed by both Floyd and Stull.

I totally agree I don't understand at all why they would be starting... but also agree they should be there to shoot those free throws that's a good idea... I will tell you that Frazier has been a surprise and if he hits his free throws at the end we are having different conversations right now....

What do you think of our new freshmen?

Instead of all this pointless nonsense.... how does Floyd fix what's going on this year?

I think this team does have the players

He doesn't. He won't. It's not the players. We've seen regression in so many players under Floyd and we're seeing it again this year. There is one problem and it is Floyd. I am thoroughly convinced of this. It's not an Xs and Os problem either. Although the way Floyd runs his offense might make that last point debatable. It is a chemistry problem. The only way CTF fixes this year is by removing himself from the equation.

Not so bold prediction: We will never win a conference championship, a CUSA tourney championship or receive an at-large bid while Floyd is at the helm.

Reactions: axingfools1
Disagree I think one of those three things will happen under Floyd or I wouldn't be supporting him

Last edited:
Disagree I think one of those three things will happen under Floyd or I wouldn't or I would be calling for his termination

I'm sorry to say, but you said several years ago that it would happen by this time. It appears that you have no TRUE cut-off line. Floyd would be here indefinitely if it was on your watch. I don't buy it. Somehow you're connected to Floyd, I believe. A friend. A family member. Not sure but you have got to have some tie with him. I don't expect that you'd admit it either.

Honestly yes - you learn a lot from history and he has never failed anywhere he has been...therefore inam banking on history repeating itself which it has a habit of doing ....

At which of those schools did he coach 7 years and not make the NCAA tournament? Surely UTEP is in a better situation than what UNO was back then? How can he do things there, but not here?

Floyds whole demeanor and air of arrogance keeps holding his own teams back. Even with the turnover, he still has a lot of talent. IMO he just doesn't know how to let things go and let the players play (Barbee). His offense is old and plodding. He changes defenses too much and thats why the young guys don't understand it 4 games into the season. He gets a good burst and then slows things back down or puts the ball in the wrong persons hands. He's always trying to prove that he is the end all be all somehow. Floyd is the common denominator here. He's like a fighter at the end of his career looking for one last knockout. We are looking for a difference maker. Somebody who captures the attention of the team and the fans. Somebody who can run the fck over CUSA, not get 3rd every other year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT