ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs. Texas

Since 1972, UTEP has had 25 (out of 48) seasons with 2 wins or less (52% of the time). In that same time frame, UTEP has had 5 winning seasons.

twelve (12) - 2 win seasons
eleven (11) - 1 win seasons
and two (2) - 0 win seasons

This game and the coaching is a microcosm of what has plagued UTEP football over the years. How can this be changed?

Einstein is credited with saying the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

Based on this, expecting UTEP Football to win must meet this definition.
Half of the time we’ve won 3 or more games. It would be nice to get back to those days of beating 3/4 teams per year.

So, we're essentially about 5 years away from being Kansas at this point.
Heck I remember when Baylor was the bottom feeder of the Big 12 South to Kansas in the North. At this point, a complete overhaul from top to bottom needs to be done, of course that involves $$$ which if we’re not winning we’re not generating

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Since 1972, UTEP has had 25 (out of 48) seasons with 2 wins or less (52% of the time). In that same time frame, UTEP has had 5 winning seasons.

twelve (12) - 2 win seasons
eleven (11) - 1 win seasons
and two (2) - 0 win seasons

This game and the coaching is a microcosm of what has plagued UTEP football over the years. How can this be changed?

Einstein is credited with saying the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

Based on this, expecting UTEP Football to win must meet this definition.

Been sitting here all night thinking, "This is 1970s futility bad."

I had it as 52 -3, guess they are worse than I thought. I lay 95% of this on poor coaching. We will never get the athletes that a power 5 college gets, but the lack of imagination and poor tackling is on them.

Four games vs Texas, two offensive TDs. Good thing we just signed a five game road series with them.

How much is UTSA getting for an ass whooping?
I don’t know the math at the top of my head but they’re going to end up with about an extra 1.2 million after their five game series. It’s almost as if we’re playing an extra game for free.
They’ll make around 1.7 per game.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Flat out embarrassing performance. There have been more than a few embarrassing UTEP defensive performances but tonight tops the list. I dont care which fbs school they played tonight we would have given up 50 plus. Absolutely pathetic. It looks like the Sun Belt is on pace to go 3-0 against the big 12 today and we put up that embarrassment.

The offense isn't much better. The online cant run block. The play calling sucks. Fields and Awatt shouldn't be getting carries.

Just pathetic all the way around. I will be suprised if we beat ACU. That defense is atrocious. The tackling poor angles on defense and no pass rush give us no chance against fbs schools.

Senter and Dimel must go. Year three and we get that. Just embarrassing.

Last edited:
Flat out embarrassing performance. There have been more than a few embarrassing UTEP defensive performances but tonight tops the list. I dont care which fbs school they played tonight we would have given up 50 plus. Absolutely pathetic. It looks like the Sun Belt is on pace to go 3-0 against the big 12 today and we put up that embarrassment.

The offense isn't much better. The online cant run block. The play calling sucks. Fields and Awatt shouldn't be getting carries.

Just pathetic all the way around. I will be suprised if we beat ACU. That defense is atrocious. The tackling poor angles on defense and no pass rush give us no chance against fbs schools.

Senter and Dimel must go. Year three and we get that. Just embarrassing.

Texas held UTEP to 1.3 yards per carry.

I stopped watching in the first. UTEP was in deep sh*t from jump street and it sounded like it didn’t get any better. Let’s just hope they can walk properly after UT shoved a 1.4 million dollar boot up their butt cheeks.

If they don't improve the pass rush and corners immediately, it's going to be a very long season. The corners can't cover basic slant routes and the defensive line doesn't seem to have any moves but a bull rush. Very disappointing at this point. 15 practices are more than enough to have worked on this. Positions must be put up for grabs this week in practice.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Looks like that defense didn't improve after all.
500 yards and 45 points in the 1st freaking half. We got lucky that Herman decided to line up in "victory formation" for most of the 2nd half. Pathetic.
At least we won the time of possession battle on the field. I am sure DImel will see that as a huge positive and see that as improvement on offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Last week at this time, there were posts on Digs talking about how the defense has "improved" ..lol...
500 yards and 45 points in the 1st freaking half. We got lucky that Herman decided to line up in "victory formation" for most of the 2nd half. Pathetic.
At least we won the time of possession battle on the field. I am sure DImel will see that as a huge positive and see that as improvement on offense.
nobody here gives a **** about what you think

Now living in a small town of Myrtle Beach have to watch CCU beat Kansas and then watch UTEP get its butt kicked. CCU just expanded their stadium to 20K to be in Sun Belt and have a tiny budget yet they won National Championship in baseball and beat Big 12 team in football. What is wrong with UTEP?

Now living in a small town of Myrtle Beach have to watch CCU beat Kansas and then watch UTEP get its butt kicked. CCU just expanded their stadium to 20K to be in Sun Belt and have a tiny budget yet they won National Championship in baseball and beat Big 12 team in football. What is wrong with UTEP?

Don't know if UTEP could beat Kansas or not, but comparing what UTEP went through against Texas to someone beating Kansas, is absolutely crazy. Kansas is a terrible football program right now. Les Miles will most likely get them going in a few years, but right now they are basically an FCS team in comparison to Texas. That very well might be better than UTEP still and in no way excuses the terrible defensive progression that UTEP has shown.

Last edited:
32 years of Dr. Natalicio being UTEP’s president and her focus on academics, and not on athletics. She was great for the University not so much for athletics. VA Miner, so you moved from NOVA, I live in Rockville and have a home in El Paso. I go to as many UTEP games as I can.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Don't know if UTEP could beat Kansas or not, but comparing what UTEP went through against Texas to someone beating Kansas, is absolutely crazy. Kansas is a terrible football program right now. Les Miles will most likely get them going in a few years, but right now they are basically an FCS team in comparison to Texas. That very well might be better than UTEP still and in no way excuses the terrible defensive progression that UTEP has shown.

Kansas may not be a fair comparison, but Kansas State and Iowa State who lost to Sun Belt schools are. Texas has been a mediocre program for a decade. A power program in reputation only. They've been equal to Iowa State for about five years and K State has had the better program the last decade. Two Sun Bowl schools in situations like ours went out and got wins. I wasn't expecting a win but I was expecting we would put up a fight. Last night with that defense performance UMASS could've been the opponent and the result would've been the same. The Longhorns were playing offense against air. Worst defensive performance I've seen. On offense it was just like SFA we couldnt open up running lanes. Against SFA the 25 extra scholarship advantage we have were them down in the fourth and we didn't get yds against texas until they inserted their walk on done in the fourth. Our offensive line cant open holes against any fbs line and probably couldnt against the top 70% of FCS schools. This game is an indictment on Dimel. In year three we are regressing which is almost unfathomable.

Kansas won 3 games last year and lost to mighty UT by 2 whole points in Austin. FCS team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT