ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP vs UNM

Reactions: mikesarabia
Still can't get over a loss to BY-who and Colorado St. in the '80's on a last-second shot.

Yeah, there were a few. BYWho also beat us in the WAC Tourney final on a last second heave in 92. From about the same distance as the one Lyle just hit. That one haunts me. Although the Cougs had a quicker exit from the big Tourney than we did that year.

I don’t feel like a lucky win for the miners. There usually the ones on the losing end so I don’t feel bad stealing this one. A win is a win.Go mmmmmmminers!

Reactions: miner1liner
UNM’s length gave us some trouble. Altered a lot of our shots. Forced us to hesitate on some shots. We even passed up on some shots that were open looks because they closed in the ball so quickly and got hands in our faces. That was a gritty win, especially since we shot so poorly from deep. Doubt we’ll play anyone soon with that kind of length across the board.

I had to attend a meeting. It was hard to stay quiet all thru the meeting.

UNM’s length gave us some trouble. Altered a lot of our shots. Forced us to hesitate on some shots. We even passed up on some shots that were open looks because they closed in the ball so quickly and got hands in our faces. That was a gritty win, especially since we shot so poorly from deep. Doubt we’ll play anyone soon with that kind of length across the board.
Agree. Also, Williams wasn't much of a factor. I thought the Lobos had a good defensive game plan, which did surprise me a bit based on previous scores. I like the moxie that Lathon and Edwards bring to the table. We haven't seen that in quite a while. Like Bigwood mentioned, the defense will travel, so that is a great sign so far.

These are the wins that the selection committee look at when teams are on the bubble. I think these wins are more important than wins from crappy cusa games. You will see this win will help them get in either into the big dance or nit

Yeah, there were a few. BYWho also beat us in the WAC Tourney final on a last second heave in 92. From about the same distance as the one Lyle just hit. That one haunts me. Although the Cougs had a quicker exit from the big Tourney than we did that year.

Yeah, BYU had a first round game against LSU, who had this O'Neal kid put on a block clinic that game.

Agree. Also, Williams wasn't much of a factor. I thought the Lobos had a good defensive game plan, which did surprise me a bit based on previous scores. I like the moxie that Lathon and Edwards bring to the table. We haven't seen that in quite a while. Like Bigwood mentioned, the defense will travel, so that is a great sign so far.

we lose without Bryson

This was a big and important win, because they showed amazing grit to pull it out when the shots weren't falling, Williams on the bench again, only shot 13 freebies compared to 31for The Lobos, two T's, Souly was 3 for 13 and Vila 1 for 7.
This isn't the first game Lathon's won for us.
Remember Rice?
To win like this when we are only getting help from a few is really encouraging because as the season progresses, I expect big time improvement from those that aren't there yet. In other words, it's gonna get a lot better when all the pieces come together.

These are the wins that the selection committee look at when teams are on the bubble. I think these wins are more important than wins from crappy cusa games. You will see this win will help them get in either into the big dance or nit

Only if both teams end up being good at the end. Doesn’t really mean squat right now.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Gawd, that one douchebag ref was something else. I think Efe should be starting instead of Vila. I don't understand the love for Vila over Efe. Vila always gets beat to the loose ball and gets out jumped by smaller guys even when he has position.

I like efe off the bench. A good 6th man is important and sometimes rare in college ball.

Efe is able to come in and provide an immediate impact in scoring and rebounding, and that's great to have when a team is struggling to find its rhythm

The Miners are 4-0 against New Mexico schools this young season. I hope we beat the aggies at their place and take ownership of NM.

I like efe off the bench. A good 6th man is important and sometimes rare in college ball.

Efe is able to come in and provide an immediate impact in scoring and rebounding, and that's great to have when a team is struggling to find its rhythm
Efe is playing very well off the bench.

I agree Vila should start because he poses a matchup problem offensively, but I'm gonna be hard on him here. He us WAY too soft on defense and has shown no rim protection whatsoever. His help side defense is weak at best. With his height and agility this needs to improve dramatically for us to battle with good teams. Bryson and Efe need to trust that he has their back on defense. He also missed a layup after a steal because he went weak to the rim. He later missed a dunk. Throw them down young man!

Another thing to consider is Williams' penchant for getting in foul trouble. When he inevitably does each game, we bring in Efe to get those points in the post.

I listened to the game on the radio and that was a great win for The Miners, especially this early in the season. With so many new players it was great to see them find a way to win and not blow the game in the closing seconds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT