• Yes

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 68.2%

• Total voters

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
This conversation deserves its own thread and shouldn’t be under the UTSA attendance one.

The current attendance problems started after the embarrassing beat down vs Army. Other than the gimmick vs HBU, that was the last sizeable crowd UTEP has seen. The cracks were showing before that, but that day the dam broke. Many people left and decided never to come back. Yes, we're 4-1 but it will not be that easy to erase the 47 losses we have suffered since then to only 7 FBS wins in the five years that followed.

Since then, other sporting events have stolen UTEP’S fan base. The baseball and soccer team have provided a winning product at a lower price with better amenities during the game. UTEP used to be the only show in town and would play teams that either fans remembered as young kids or had an interest in developing rivalries with. This recent version of CUSA doesn't have the same spice from the WAC or the CUSA we joined.

I feel for the players that have worked their ass off loss after loss and can’t enjoy at least a half full stadium to support them. This issue is deeper than prices or current record.

In order for Senter to fix this problem immediately, he has to do whatever he did vs HBU. Show the fans the joy of winning and maybe they’ll stick around.

I feel for the players that have worked their ass off loss after loss and can’t enjoy at least a half full stadium to support them. This issue is deeper than prices or current record.

All football players at every school are working their ass off. Winless UConn and UMass players are working their asses off too. So are the kids at Norfolk St, UC Davis, Western New Mexico, Sul Ross St, and Johnson & Wales. Many don’t play in front of half filled stadiums or they play in front of full stadiums of 3,000 people.

The players practicing hard is not something UTEP is doing differently.

All football players at every school are working their ass off. Winless UConn and UMass players are working their asses off too. So are the kids at Norfolk St, UC Davis, Western New Mexico, Sul Ross St, and Johnson & Wales. Many don’t play in front of half filled stadiums or they play in front of full stadiums of 3,000 people.

The players practicing hard is not something UTEP is doing differently.
Are any of those FBS teams currently 4-1 and still drawing 11k? Do any of those teams have a reputation of being able to bring in big crowds when winning?

I appreciate the effort you went through to nitpick my post.

Reactions: colominer
Not winning games over several years and Jim Senter raising ticket prices have done the damage. Also, hiring Dana Dimel and his boring offense have not helped either.

We play schools that nobody gives a crap about and until this year, we lost to them. Why schedule BCU? They’re not going to bring many fans anyway. If you bring in a Texas or western schools, your chances of visiting fans increase. You can’t do anything about ODU, but it’s clear nobody gives a **** about them and other CUSA schools.

I would imagine 99% of UTEP fans are not dumb enough to think we should be playing Texas, BYU, and Colorado every game, but they don’t want to see ODU, WKU, and Florida whatevers.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Are any of those FBS teams currently 4-1 and still drawing 11k? Do any of those teams have a reputation of being able to bring in big crowds when winning?

I appreciate the effort you went through to nitpick my post.
Doesn’t matter. All the kids are trying and practicing hard. Football players practicing isn’t unique to UTEP.

I agree with you on the Army game. It was my first time back in EP after moving. I had around 30 people go with me… It was so embarrassing. I was so turned off. Like most Miner fans, I came back, but I choose my attendance wisely. I think there are many others who are doing the same. They want to spend their hard earned money on things that make them and their families happy. UTEP for a long time, has not been doing that for the casual fan. While I have gone back to other games since the Army one, I try to not really ask others to go any longer. UTEP has a big problem on their hands, it’s not a easy fix. Winning will help. People are not stupid, they see who UTEP has beat, a win at USM might just move the needle in the right direction. Do something about the ticket price. Those ex Miners that can donate tickets, step up. Why not create a marketing gimmick, to pay it forward? Ask people to purchase one extra GA ticket to donate locally.

I agree with you on the Army game. It was my first time back in EP after moving. I had around 30 people go with me… It was so embarrassing. I was so turned off. Like most Miner fans, I came back, but I choose my attendance wisely. I think there are many others who are doing the same. They want to spend their hard earned money on things that make them and their families happy. UTEP for a long time, has not been doing that for the casual fan. While I have gone back to other games since the Army one, I try to not really ask others to go any longer. UTEP has a big problem on their hands, it’s not a easy fix. Winning will help. People are not stupid, they see who UTEP has beat, a win at USM might just move the needle in the right direction. Do something about the ticket price. Those ex Miners that can donate tickets, step up. Why not create a marketing gimmick, to pay it forward? Ask people to purchase one extra GA ticket to donate locally.

There are no GA seats anymore. All assigned seating. Not that it really matters when there’s 11k there

This conversation deserves its own thread and shouldn’t be under the UTSA attendance one.

The current attendance problems started after the embarrassing beat down vs Army. Other than the gimmick vs HBU, that was the last sizeable crowd UTEP has seen. The cracks were showing before that, but that day the dam broke. Many people left and decided never to come back. Yes, we're 4-1 but it will not be that easy to erase the 47 losses we have suffered since then to only 7 FBS wins in the five years that followed.

Since then, other sporting events have stolen UTEP’S fan base. The baseball and soccer team have provided a winning product at a lower price with better amenities during the game. UTEP used to be the only show in town and would play teams that either fans remembered as young kids or had an interest in developing rivalries with. This recent version of CUSA doesn't have the same spice from the WAC or the CUSA we joined.

In order for Senter to fix this problem immediately, he has to do whatever he did vs HBU. Show the fans the joy of winning and maybe they’ll stick around.
The slide started way before The Army game. It started when we kept Price for seven straight losing seasons. Alot of fans jumped off the wagon because of lack of commitment to a winning program shown by the adminisration. This was highlighted by the Oklahoma game in 2012 not selling out. It only drew 40,000. Oklahoma was number 3 in the country and brought about 8,000- 10,000 fans. They are the biggest name to ever play UTEP in the Sun Bowl and will in all likelihood always be yet we only drew 40,000.

There is two ways that I look at the current football schedule. Kudos to Senter for scheduling Bethune Cookman, NMSU and UNM. When you are trying to teach kids how to win, you have to win and you can’t do that with an out of conference schedule, like Rice. But then again, you can’t expect fans to be excited and show up and watch bad football. So, what’s the answer? I don’t know. I have to believe crazy promotions is the way to go. Obviously, I don’t know the financials but I would believe heavily discounted tickets will put butts in the seats and the university should do well with concession sales…but then again??? But I really do believe that if they beat USM, they will get 25,000 in the stands. I think most people are waiting to see if this team is legit.

The slide started way before The Army game. It started when we kept Price for seven straight losing seasons. Alot of fans jumped off the wagon because of lack of commitment to a winning program shown by the adminisration. This was highlighted by the Oklahoma game in 2012 not selling out. It only drew 40,000. Oklahoma was number 3 in the country and brought about 8,000- 10,000 fans. They are the biggest name to ever play UTEP in the Sun Bowl and will in all likelihood always be yet we only drew 40,000.

That has a lot to do with the “problem” now, but who do you think “caused” it? Season ticket holders. They kept buying tickets to see Price and didn’t demand change. Same with Floyd, but we will stick to football here. Fans like 2Step would say “we’re not going to get anyone better” “Winning 4 games is better than 2” etc. Then Kugler came along and those same fans said “See!” Then they did the same thing, kept buying season tickets and didn’t demand change. That’s why we’re here.

Those were the cracks I mentioned. Prior to that game we could still count on at least 30k for a game or two. I'm not talking about P5 teams. Since the Army game we've had one crowd over 20k for an FBS team. USM the following week. Prior to Army, crowds of 20k were the new norm. Now we can't even sniff that.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
There are no GA seats anymore. All assigned seating. Not that it really matters when there’s 11k there

Its all GA when there is 11,000.

I was in Dallas Saturday and one cool thing that I saw that could be implemented for free.....SMU sign was flashing 'SMU Wins' over and over again in various colors.

So as you drive down I-10, it would say UTEP wins the rest of the night. Thats one way to get attention.

The 2nd way is like No wins said, you're gonna have to take a few steps back before making a giant leap. You have to have a discount night to give the fans an experience that they want to return for.

The Baltimore Orioles had a kids under age x are Free with any adult purchase. If I remember right, I adult could bring in multiple children for free with the purchase of the adult. The idea is to make kids want to go the game and hopefully one day they are adult fans.

Prior to that Texas came to town. In El Paso the Longhorns are a bigger name

Reactions: shyminer81
Prior to that Texas came to town. In El Paso the Longhorns are a bigger name
Four years before. People still thought Price could turn it around.

I'm not trying to start a passing match by the numbers Oklahoma is the biggest program to ever come to the Sun Bowl. They have more National Championships, conference championships, All Americans and Heisman winners than Texas does.

The bigger question, is will Senter and his “marketing” dept listen? Do they have a marketing dept anymore? I know some folks got let go, during the pandemic. Maybe we can come up with a list of 10 or so ways, to help UTEP with this. Then email it to Senter and Wilson…. Just a thought.

I like that idea. I believe that was where the El Paso construction industry gave UTEP about $45,000 to purchase 9,000 tickets to be given to schools/teachers, etc.

I could be a bit off on the particulars but that's the gist of it.

Reactions: JCorona
I like that idea. I believe that was where the El Paso construction industry gave UTEP about $45,000 to purchase 9,000 tickets to be given to schools/teachers, etc.

I could be a bit off on the particulars but that's the gist of it.
And if he can't secure the donations then eat the cost. Donate 10k tickets to schools and teachers. Those sits seat empty anyways and don't make any money. He might actually make money from giving the tickets away.

As far as season tickets holders that might be upset. Really? I'm sure they bought the tickets to support UTEP and want a full Sun Bowl and not cuz they're afraid they won't be able to find a good seat on game day.

I remember when I was in college, my school was struggling in student attendance at their games. So to entice students, they offered a $500 prize to the student organization that made the most consistent presence at the games for the season. That instantly brought more students to the games. To tell what organization they belonged to, they just wore their organization’s shirt. Not only did it increase the student presence but brought such a diverse group of students to the games. It included student government, Greek life, international groups, clubs, etc. I remember it really working and making an impact. Something so easy to do.

Give tickets to school age kids, and award the school with the highest attendance.
An old Diablo’s favorite, cheap beer. ( NOT ON THE SAME NIGHT. That’s something UTEP would do. JK)

Give tickets to school age kids, and award the school with the highest attendance.
An old Diablo’s favorite, cheap beer. ( NOT ON THE SAME NIGHT. That’s something UTEP would do. JK)

Oh, those 10 cent beer nights at the Dudley Field. Those and 10 cent hot dogs. Maybe the beer was 25 cents; I don't remember. Either way, those were the days.

I remember walking thru Concordia Cemetary late at night to get back home after the games. We were just kids back then...

Last edited:
As stated earlier, a win at USM will help tremendously but I just see 20k or slightly above. UTEP has one of the most productive wr's in FBS right now so you go with what help sells. We on here knew Cowing was special but does the rest of the city? I say no. Sell him.

Hardison has NFL written all over and he still has 2 years left. That kid has a bazooka of an arm that needs trained for the short game and he's learning nicely how and when to tuck it and run, but he still needs refinement. I see some Brent Stockstill in him but way better deep ball who can lay it in there. Sell him too. Stockstill could pick you apart on the short game, Hardison is not there yet.

Dimel is just not a face in front of the camera guy like Price was. If Price was 4-1 he'd be kissing babies and shaking hands like a congress politician during a major election.

UTEP has to win at USM, simply put and sell the La Tech game like a 4th of July mattress sale.

Isn't attendance down across all sports, in all venues? If that is the case, COVID is just making our low attendance problem look worse.

Isn't attendance down across all sports, in all venues? If that is the case, COVID is just making our low attendance problem look worse.
A bit. In EP, Locomotive continues with good attendance. They're 4th in the entire league.

Who cares what Kaplowitz thinks. Kaplowitz is no longer an objective voice when covering UTEP athletics. He has become Senter’s and Dimel’s on-air puppet as he usually tows the UTEP party line on most issues.
I would have liked to see his suggestions to improve attendance in his article. Anyone can bash the attendance but how do we increase it?

I wonder how much it would costs to build a closed in pavilion like structure on the east side. Use that space from where the tv cameras can shoot the game.

While there may be ways to manage it, I think the setting evening sun could present challenges with cameras on the east side of the Sun Bowl.

Imagine if you will.

You go to a favorite cheap restaurant for a dinner. A place where you remember going with your parents when you were a kid. The food was never that good and it had been getting worse over the years, but you have fond memories there. Finally your dinner is served and you find a hair in you food and a dead fly in your drink. You are pissed but you are willing to let it slide because the place is cheap and it has sentimental value to you. You will give it a break for a year knowing you will come back later on.

Then you hear that the restaurant raised prices to Ruth Chris's Steakhouse prices, but the food and the service is still mediocre to bad. Now you are really pissed because now you feel like they are trying to take advantage of you. Relying on those memories of a simpler, perhaps a happier time to make an extra buck off you. Meanwhile other restaurants have opened providing the experience you used to have at your old favorite restaurant but at friendlier prices. So you stop going to your old favorite.

One day you see a review of your old favorite restaurant on TV. The review says the food and service is much improved and that families should come back and check it out. You check out the menu online and the prices are still first class restaurant prices. Then you remember that hair and fly incident and you think what an idiot you would be if you went back and it happened again, but this time you paid more money for it.

I think that's what a lot of the UTEP fans feel.

I get it.

That being said, I'm a glutton for punishment and will still go to UTEP games because I can't turn down a good ole fashioned mule kick to the nuts.

Who cares what Kaplowitz thinks. Kaplowitz is no longer an objective voice when covering UTEP athletics. He has become Senter’s and Dimel’s on-air puppet as he usually tows the UTEP party line on most issues.
You're not going to find any media personality who will go in front of UTEP brass and tell them "this is what UTEP fans are saying....". No. One. Yes, there are contractual obligations but that doesn't mean he will not say something. He's been ambushed (Floyd), smeared by top UTEP athletic brass (Stull, in his backhanded condescending tone during live interviews over his tenure), and verbally ridiculed by big boosters (Floyd acolytes) live on the air. He's been accused of casting a bad light on head coaches (Floyd again), siding with undesirable media personalities whom UTEP felt told only one side of the story (D. Hunt) and It goes on and on.

But his loyalty to UTEP is never in doubt. UTEP needs Kap and Kap needs UTEP. Symbiosis is a helluva drug.

First, I'll dispense with the obvious. Winning will bring back the fans. Although UTEP has won 4 out of 5 games thus far this season, consistency is what the program will need to ultimately achieve. Simply winning 4 to 6, or even more games, in just one season isn't going to do it.

Next, people here whine about the ticket prices. There's this little thing called inflation that has existed ever since man began bartering. Deny it all you want, but costs do go up year after year, and thus those increases are passed on to the consumer. Don't think that's fair? Too bad, it's always been like that, and it will always be like that - period. People who think ticket prices should be held like they were 20, 30 or 40 years ago are living in their own little bubble.

Those who also whine about $15 tickets don't seem too concerned about $4 hot dogs, $6 slices of pizza and $9 beers. Case in point, at last Saturday's game, I saw a group of 20ish guys downing Dos Equis beers like it was their last day on Earth. I'm sure they spent well over a $100 collectively. But they seemed able to afford it, so more power to them. Those who have entertainment money to spend are going to spend it somewhere. For those who have limited income, they'll find alternate forms of entertainment elsewhere. Those who whine that a family of four can't afford to attend a UTEP game aren't taking into consideration what it costs compared to attending a Chihuahuas or Locomotive game, going to a movie theater, Western Playland, etc. You'd spend about the same amount of money at either one of those events, if just on concessions alone. All you whiners focus on is "Chihuahuas offer $5 tickets" and so on. Can't afford to go out? Stay home and watch Netflix.

I don't attend UTEP games for the promotions, or lack thereof. I attend for the GAME! Imagine that! I even forgot about that Speaking Rock promotion that was held last Saturday. I guess I would have been happy winning some cash after a score. Some people were last Saturday night, good for them. So arguing that UTEP needs to come up with innovative promotions to attract fans is ludicrous.

Now here's my biggest issue with UTEP. The Sun Bowl is an antiquated piece of shit stadium. Blasphemous for some I'm sure, but the truth sometimes hurts. I rather watch UTEP play at Aggie Memorial Stadium instead. Oh so blasphemous to say! It may had been the crown jewel of a stadium at one time, but the Sun Bowl is a relic today, and is in need of serious renovations or a complete reconstruction, whichever is more cost effective. Metal benches with no back rests. No leg room between the metal benches in the original sections built back in the 60s. This isn't a problem with the east side expansion sections and north end zone built in the 80s. Run down restrooms that always stink like piss and shit. Basic concessions only offered at the concourse areas. You have to go to the north end zone or east side of the stadium to get more specialty items.

Know why I enjoy attending Chihuahuas games and am a season ticket holder? Yes, winning helps, but I enjoy Southwest University Park and what it has to offer. There are actual chairs to sit on. Plenty of food and drink options spread out throughout the stadium. A view of the field from anywhere on the concourse. Patio areas available for rent to host gatherings and parties. Adequate restrooms also spread out throughout the stadium, clean and maintained throughout the game. Access to club areas for season ticket holders. Attending a Chihuahuas game isn't just watching a baseball game, it's a night out with family and friends. We had our first losing season this year, but I didn’t seem to mind it. Just being out at the Ballpark night after night, hanging and chatting with friends, and watching a ballgame was good enough for me.

A reimagined Sun Bowl Stadium would consist of chairs and sufficient leg room to stretch out. We no longer need a 50,000 seat stadium. Capacity can be reduced to 40,000, or even as low as 35,000. Tear down the north end zone and convert it into a wide open plaza and patio area that fans can congregate, complete with table, benches and chairs. Create a center concourse area in the open where fans can walk around, complete with concession stands and carts much like the Chihuahuas have at Southwest University Park. Fans can get their concessions while still viewing the on-field action, not buried underneath the Sun Bowl. Upgrade the restroom facilities so that they don't look and smell like you're in prison. And do something with the south end zone. That closed area of the Sun Bowl just looks so plain and boring. Rebuild it to support additional weight, and maybe that's where you can build bench seating, with back supports and adequate leg room, and offer the cheap priced tickets.

Bring the Sun Bowl Stadium into the 21st century. I don’t know where the funding for a complete renovation or reconstruction will come from. It will cost millions of dollars. But it would be a worthwhile investment for UTEP that would serve them for decades to come. And for those who would say a reduced capacity Sun Bowl Stadium would affect the annual Sun Bowl game, quite the opposite. It would help make the game more attractive with a much more modernized stadium. Far less tickets to sell? That would only make it a more hotter ticket to offer.

Now having said all this, I’m sure NoMames and every other naysayer will continue to blame Dimel, Senter, conference affiliation, ticket prices, scheduling bad teams, and everything else under the sun. To quote Kuiil from The Mandalorian, “I have spoken.”

First, I'll dispense with the obvious. Winning will bring back the fans. Although UTEP has won 4 out of 5 games thus far this season, consistency is what the program will need to ultimately achieve. Simply winning 4 to 6, or even more games, in just one season isn't going to do it.

Next, people here whine about the ticket prices. There's this little thing called inflation that has existed ever since man began bartering. Deny it all you want, but costs do go up year after year, and thus those increases are passed on to the consumer. Don't think that's fair? Too bad, it's always been like that, and it will always be like that - period. People who think ticket prices should be held like they were 20, 30 or 40 years ago are living in their own little bubble.

Those who also whine about $15 tickets don't seem too concerned about $4 hot dogs, $6 slices of pizza and $9 beers. Case in point, at last Saturday's game, I saw a group of 20ish guys downing Dos Equis beers like it was their last day on Earth. I'm sure they spent well over a $100 collectively. But they seemed able to afford it, so more power to them. Those who have entertainment money to spend are going to spend it somewhere. For those who have limited income, they'll find alternate forms of entertainment elsewhere. Those who whine that a family of four can't afford to attend a UTEP game aren't taking into consideration what it costs compared to attending a Chihuahuas or Locomotive game, going to a movie theater, Western Playland, etc. You'd spend about the same amount of money at either one of those events, if just on concessions alone. All you whiners focus on is "Chihuahuas offer $5 tickets" and so on. Can't afford to go out? Stay home and watch Netflix.

I don't attend UTEP games for the promotions, or lack thereof. I attend for the GAME! Imagine that! I even forgot about that Speaking Rock promotion that was held last Saturday. I guess I would have been happy winning some cash after a score. Some people were last Saturday night, good for them. So arguing that UTEP needs to come up with innovative promotions to attract fans is ludicrous.

Now here's my biggest issue with UTEP. The Sun Bowl is an antiquated piece of shit stadium. Blasphemous for some I'm sure, but the truth sometimes hurts. I rather watch UTEP play at Aggie Memorial Stadium instead. Oh so blasphemous to say! It may had been the crown jewel of a stadium at one time, but the Sun Bowl is a relic today, and is in need of serious renovations or a complete reconstruction, whichever is more cost effective. Metal benches with no back rests. No leg room between the metal benches in the original sections built back in the 60s. This isn't a problem with the east side expansion sections and north end zone built in the 80s. Run down restrooms that always stink like piss and shit. Basic concessions only offered at the concourse areas. You have to go to the north end zone or east side of the stadium to get more specialty items.

Know why I enjoy attending Chihuahuas games and am a season ticket holder? Yes, winning helps, but I enjoy Southwest University Park and what it has to offer. There are actual chairs to sit on. Plenty of food and drink options spread out throughout the stadium. A view of the field from anywhere on the concourse. Patio areas available for rent to host gatherings and parties. Adequate restrooms also spread out throughout the stadium, clean and maintained throughout the game. Access to club areas for season ticket holders. Attending a Chihuahuas game isn't just watching a baseball game, it's a night out with family and friends. We had our first losing season this year, but I didn’t seem to mind it. Just being out at the Ballpark night after night, hanging and chatting with friends, and watching a ballgame was good enough for me.

A reimagined Sun Bowl Stadium would consist of chairs and sufficient leg room to stretch out. We no longer need a 50,000 seat stadium. Capacity can be reduced to 40,000, or even as low as 35,000. Tear down the north end zone and convert it into a wide open plaza and patio area that fans can congregate, complete with table, benches and chairs. Create a center concourse area in the open where fans can walk around, complete with concession stands and carts much like the Chihuahuas have at Southwest University Park. Fans can get their concessions while still viewing the on-field action, not buried underneath the Sun Bowl. Upgrade the restroom facilities so that they don't look and smell like you're in prison. And do something with the south end zone. That closed area of the Sun Bowl just looks so plain and boring. Rebuild it to support additional weight, and maybe that's where you can build bench seating, with back supports and adequate leg room, and offer the cheap priced tickets.

Bring the Sun Bowl Stadium into the 21st century. I don’t know where the funding for a complete renovation or reconstruction will come from. It will cost millions of dollars. But it would be a worthwhile investment for UTEP that would serve them for decades to come. And for those who would say a reduced capacity Sun Bowl Stadium would affect the annual Sun Bowl game, quite the opposite. It would help make the game more attractive with a much more modernized stadium. Far less tickets to sell? That would only make it a more hotter ticket to offer.

Now having said all this, I’m sure NoMames and every other naysayer will continue to blame Dimel, Senter, conference affiliation, ticket prices, scheduling bad teams, and everything else under the sun. To quote Kuiil from The Mandalorian, “I have spoken.”
Perfectly said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT