ADVERTISEMENT

When is a UTEP team going to meet expectations?

STexMiner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2004
Much less exceed them.

The basketball team has pretty much fallen short the last 3 years.

Hopefully this is our La Tech game this year, but it looks like the football team that was touted as being our best team in years is going to fall short.

Are we now a women's basketball school? No offense to Keitha. She's the second best coach we've had at UTEP, but ugh.

This is hard for me to understand. This is starting to feel like Gary Nord's fourth season.

The basketball program has been irrelevant for the 25 years. The football program has at times shown signs of life but has failed to take the steps necessary to be a consistent winner. The easy answer is we need a new ad with vision and a plan, but we're stuck with Stull until 2019.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
This is hard for me to understand. This is starting to feel like Gary Nord's fourth season.

The basketball program has been irrelevant for the 25 years. The football program has at times shown signs of life but has failed to take the steps necessary to be a consistent winner. The easy answer is we need a new ad with vision and a plan, but we're stuck with Stull until 2019.
We will probably be stuck with Stull after 2019. Natalicio doesn't give a crap about athletics, so she will let Stull be here as long as he wants to. Stull does the bare minimum and collects a fat check, so I doubt he wants to retire anytime soon. Then he has no pressure because he has most people fooled that it is as good as it is going get with the mens athletic programs. He should make Keitha the highest paid coach at UTEP because she exceeds expectations mostly every season.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
UTEP Football is eternally horrendous. Makes no sense how a team like North Dakota St, which is an FCS school, can build and maintain a winning program, and UTEP remains shitty year to year. Bob Stull needs to go too. He's nearly 71 years old, set in his ways, and does little to nothing to progress UTEP's athletic endeavors.They want so badly to get out of CUSA and into the MWC, but if I'm the MWC and I see results like this, I'd say "Thanks but no thanks, UTEP. We're good."

Last edited:
Reactions: mikesarabia
I think UTEP has alot of deep rooted problems. We put way too many resources in basketball. Our inflated sense of basketball pedigree and tradition has severely hurt us. As for football we dont have a home state to recruit from. When we recruit in dallas Austin, San Antonio and Houston we are father away than all the schools from border states. As a result of the distance we are like an out of state school when when we recruit in Texas.

NDSU is a bad example. They are only four hours from the twin cities. Thousands of kids from the twin cities attend NDSU. Fargo is the largest city in North Dakota and the economic engine for the state.

Its not all negative. We can build winners at UTEP, but its going to take to take vision and leadership. Stull is happy with the status quo. He is satisfied because his three football hires have made bowl games, and his three bball hires prior to floyd made the ncaa tournament.

Final thought about tonight. Army has been playing football since 1890. They have won multiple national championships and have had heisman winners. Tonight was the most points they have ever scored against a d1 team. This loss as worse than the loss to cal poly in 03 in my books.

We will probably be stuck with Stull after 2019. Natalicio doesn't give a crap about athletics, so she will let Stull be here as long as he wants to. Stull does the bare minimum and collects a fat check, so I doubt he wants to retire anytime soon. Then he has no pressure because he has most people fooled that it is as good as it is going get with the mens athletic programs. He should make Keitha the highest paid coach at UTEP because she exceeds expectations mostly every season.

I'v e said it many many times, Great Great Grandma Natalicio is a Great part of the problem. She has to go first in order for Stull to go. Maybe she's done a decent job at academics and research, but she doesn't give crap about sports.

Last edited:
For the people that went to the game, did it feel that UTEP went overboard with Army love?

For the people that went to the game, did it feel that UTEP went overboard with Army love?
A bit, and it became really overboard as the score got out of hand. It was all about Army not just on the scoreboard. The band never got to play Miners Fight or much of anything else as during breaks we were either honoring a soldier or blasting tunes between every play stoppage. About the only thing I can say about the miner game day experience is the weather was nice.

I did feel like it was an overblown Army love fest which was embarrassing when they were running up the score on us. I have no problem at all paying respect to West Point and all the veterans but at some point UTEP needed to act like they want to beat those guys. If you looked at the game from just a presentation aspect you would have thought Army was the home team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT