ADVERTISEMENT

Whens last time....

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Something really good happened in Basketball or Football?

In football im thinking Big Will getting drafted. But thats off the field.

On the field. I would say Aaron Jones last season.

In basketball.

Off the court id have to say when Isaac committed to Utep on Espn. Even though he never played it was still pretty cool.

On the court
I guess when they won Cusa regular season title with Barbee?? I cant think of another. I dont think Floyd had special moment. He did have lots heart break moments.

Reactions: unihorn

In basketball.

Off the court id have to say when Isaac committed to Utep on Espn. Even though he never played it was still pretty cool.

On the court
I guess when they won Cusa regular season title with Barbee?? I cant think of another. I dont think Floyd had special moment. He did have lots heart break moments.

Floyd coached Miners beating the shit out of Memphis.

In basketball I would say two years ago beating Charlotte on a senior night to clinch a bye game and and complete the turnaround from 2-13 to 14-16.

In football back in 2014 beating MTSU to lock a bowl and guarantee the first winning season in a decade.

I know the season was a disaster, but that comeback vs Western Kentucky when we honored the ‘66 team. Hands down one of the greatest games I have ever witnessed in my life. That team went on a nice run from there on and I think everyone left beyond satisfied that day.

Everyone there was so disgusted watching The Miners go down 19 with under 10 minutes to play. How that team pulled that game out was amazing and I think that easily goes down as Floyd’s signature moment. Too bad he didn’t have more of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1

In basketball.

On the court

Good list.

In basketball.

On the court
Footballl: The 80's Paydirt Pete logo was laid to rest. I'm dead serious. I hated that logo.....damn Kugler. Oh yes. Kugler sticking to his word and quit.
Basketball: Floyd left. Left throwing pot shots and border line non truth's, but he left. This year will be tough but I'd rather go through this year with a new coach rather than endure another year with Floyd.

Floyd coached Miners beating the shit out of Memphis.
That was so memorable. The next day then Memphis head coach Josh Pastner removed the players' names from the back of their jerseys, making them re-earn them again, which they did eventually. Unfortunately Memphis got the last laugh the following month, beating UTEP on our home court in the CUSA Championship Game.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
giphy.gif

The sun is always brighter (even though it cloudy today).. The week is always better after a Miner victory. It's been along time and it feels great. Run the the table boys!

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
That was so memorable. The next day then Memphis head coach Josh Pastner removed the players' names from the back of their jerseys, making them re-earn them again, which they did eventually. Unfortunately Memphis got the last laugh the following month, beating UTEP on our home court in the CUSA Championship Game.
Yeah, maybe #1 on the disappointing list.

Yeah, maybe #1 on the disappointing list.

One could argue that was the beginning of the downfall of the Tim Floyd era because up until that time, we hadn’t really witnessed two recurring themes that became all too prevalent.

It set the stage for the first of many embarrassing “scuffles” CTF got into, when we had to go up to UNM to play an NIT first round game and Floyd got into it with Alford about court time or something like that. At the time I’m sure I thought Floyd was sticking up for his team, but a pattern emerged revealing it was probably his tendency to dramatically overreact when frustrated.

It was also the first time, again of many, where we saw the Miners fold like soggy tortillas, not because of lack of talent, but basically due to turning it off and just giving up in the middle of the game. We came to witness that countless times over the next 6 years. I can’t remember either of those things happening prior to that huge let down against Memphis, but after...

One could argue that was the beginning of the downfall of the Tim Floyd era because up until that time, we hadn’t really witnessed two recurring themes that became all too prevalent.

It set the stage for the first of many embarrassing “scuffles” CTF got into, when we had to go up to UNM to play an NIT first round game and Floyd got into it with Alford about court time or something like that. At the time I’m sure I thought Floyd was sticking up for his team, but a pattern emerged revealing it was probably his tendency to dramatically overreact when frustrated.

It was also the first time, again of many, where we saw the Miners fold like soggy tortillas, not because of lack of talent, but basically due to turning it off and just giving up in the middle of the game. We came to witness that countless times over the next 6 years. I can’t remember either of those things happening prior to that huge let down against Memphis, but after...

Honestly the Floyd era was over after he lost his first game against Pacific. After that game it was apparent he was going to put a governor on the V8 he inherited just to prove he was in charge. Floyd's entire plan was to keep turning over the roster until he could have that one magical season that would vault him back to the big time. El Paso was supposed to be his stepping stone instead it became his purgatory. Ironically if he would have let that team he inherited in 11 run and play uptempo they would have got to the tourney and with their veteran guard play won a game in the tourney and got him a big time job. Instead he tried to break them and effectively ended his career.

Honestly the Floyd era was over after he lost his first game against Pacific. After that game it was apparent he was going to put a governor on the V8 he inherited just to prove he was in charge. Floyd's entire plan was to keep turning over the roster until he could have that one magical season that would vault him back to the big time. El Paso was supposed to be his stepping stone instead it became his purgatory. Ironically if he would have let that team he inherited in 11 run and play uptempo they would have got to the tourney and with their veteran guard play won a game in the tourney and got him a big time job. Instead he tried to break them and effectively ended his career.

I’ll buy that

Barbee’s last team was better than Floyd’s first.

Barbee’s last team was better than Floyd’s first.

Agreed. That 2010 squad just got a very unlucky draw. In most scenarios that team goes to the sweet 16. Instead they drew the second best team in the tournament that was an inch away from winning a national championship.

The 2011 team wasnt as good but still very talented. I think the key in tourney is veteran guard play. They were good enough to win a game in the tourney.

Agreed. That 2010 squad just got a very unlucky draw. In most scenarios that team goes to the sweet 16. Instead they drew the second best team in the tournament that was an inch away from winning a national championship.

The 2011 team wasnt as good but still very talented. I think the key in tourney is veteran guard play. They were good enough to win a game in the tourney.

They lacked the depth needed to make a tourney run. I think part of the Memphis loss was tired legs.

They lacked the depth needed to make a tourney run. I think part of the Memphis loss was tired legs.

They went 9 deep, 10 if you count Mike Perez and his 10+ minutes a game. Personally, I remember a mental fold as opposed to a physical one against Memphis. I don’t often agree with minerforlife, but when I do...

Reactions: develman
They went 9 deep, 10 if you count Mike Perez and his 10+ minutes a game. Personally, I remember a mental fold as opposed to a physical one against Memphis. I don’t often agree with minerforlife, but when I do...

I was at the game — they were gassed.

Most disappointing Miner basketball moment was probably the fluke shot by BYU in the 1992 WAC tournament championship game or the forfeit in 1996 against Hawai'i.

While it sucked bad, the thing about that BYU shot was that we knew we were still a lock for the tourney...with a decent seeding as well.

While it sucked bad, the thing about that BYU shot was that we knew we were still a lock for the tourney...with a decent seeding as well.

I remember our boys played Evansville, who featured some 6'3" power forward named Parrish Casebier who was "unguardable" . UTEP won and that guy never made the NBA. Today he's doing 25 years for sex trafficking.

BYU went on to play LSU, who featured some center who wanted to be a movie star. I think he played a genie of some kind and was featured in a really bad martial arts videogame. Obviously, BYU lost

I remember our boys played Evansville, who featured some 6'3" power forward named Parrish Casebier who was "unguardable" . UTEP won and that guy never made the NBA. Today he's doing 25 years for sex trafficking.

BYU went on to play LSU, who featured some center who wanted to be a movie star. I think he played a genie of some kind and was featured in a really bad martial arts videogame. Obviously, BYU lost

You forgot to mention what happened after we beat Evansville. The team went on to play number 1 seed Kansas, for what is probably our proudest moment in basketball since a little game in 1966. Boy's miracle shot felt devastating at the time, but things worked out just fine.

Losing Moultrie didn't help. Floyd tried to make us beleive that Moultrie was being selfish, but he also thought he had Rashanti Harris in his back pocket. Little did we know the trend that was coming. We were warned but most of us were blinded (at least I was).

Personally I still think he was pretty selfish and getting busted for drugs in the NBA didn't do much to improve my opinion of him. He's been out of the league for four years now. Sixers fans considered him a bust.

Personally I still think he was pretty selfish and getting busted for drugs in the NBA didn't do much to improve my opinion of him. He's been out of the league for four years now. Sixers fans considered him a bust.
Yeah but that is all after the fact. Do you think Caracter was selfish too? Moultrie would have helped that team tremendously. Moultrie was an all SEC player.

Yeah but that is all after the fact. Do you think Caracter was selfish too? Moultrie would have helped that team tremendously. Moultrie was an all SEC player.

Without a doubt. Our bigs were Britten, who had that lung issue (I call it being perpetually out of shape). We had Portalatin, who gave effort but lacked any offensive skill whatsoever. And we had Bo, who came in at 6’ 10” and not even 200 pounds soaking wet, who had to average 18+ minutes as a true frosh because of the afore mentioned guys’ lack of court time. We definitely could’ve used Moultrie. All his issues surfaced after he left UTEP anyway.

Reactions: axingfools1
Without a doubt. Our bigs were Britten, who had that lung issue (I call it being perpetually out of shape). We had Portalatin, who gave effort but lacked any offensive skill whatsoever. And we had Bo, who came in at 6’ 10” and not even 200 pounds soaking wet, who had to average 18+ minutes as a true frosh because of the afore mentioned guys’ lack of court time. We definitely could’ve used Moultrie. All his issues surfaced after he left UTEP anyway.
Floyd also chased off Myron Strong

Man I hate rehasing all of the curses that Floyd brought about this team.

Myron strong was dismissed from the team due to a drug policy violation. He wound up firing off on Facebook and then never played college basketball again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT