ADVERTISEMENT

Where to begin

Maximus Miner

Rookie
Jul 1, 2005
Tonight's Observations:

The Game:

So much for momentum from last week's win. The game tonight was full of poor tackling, dropped catches, and the offensive line letting ODU's defense sack Metz numerous times. Again play calling was questionable. Its pretty much what we've been seeing all season. No need for further analysis. Just plain and simple.

Other Observations:

Attendance was the lowest for a UTEP Homecoming game with around 19,200 announced. Actually it really looked like it was less than 15k. Ouch!

The video board sound system was all over the place (volume wise), especially during the national anthem. No excuses for those kind of problems.

I don't know how it happened but a couple of people fell while walking down the stairs in almost the same spot. I really hope it is not a stadium issue or someone not picking up there beverage bottles/trash.

The protesters had their 15 minutes but was glad to see everyone else stand for the Anthem and the unity circle between UTEP and ODU players was very nice. The Marching Band had a nice show and the Homecoming Court was also very nice. (Just a few of the positives from tonight)

Of course I can't finish without re-emphasizing what we've all been saying for years. The Sun Bowl needs a renovation of EPIC proportions. (seating, Press box, Locker rooms, restrooms, etc,) Everything!! Just don't know if we'll see it happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
Of course I can't finish without re-emphasizing what we've all been saying for years. The Sun Bowl needs a renovation of EPIC proportions. (seating, Press box, Locker rooms, restrooms, etc,) Everything!! Just don't know if we'll see ithappen anytime soon.

Where is the money coming from to renovate both Kidd Field and the Sun Bowl? I have a hard time believing that it could be done all on private money.

Of course I can't finish without re-emphasizing what we've all been saying for years. The Sun Bowl needs a renovation of EPIC proportions. (seating, Press box, Locker rooms, restrooms, etc,) Everything!! Just don't know if we'll see ithappen anytime soon.

Where is the money coming from to renovate both Kidd Field and the Sun Bowl? I have a hard time believing that it could be done all on private money.

How much money do you kick into the program per year?

Really not a major protest at all. Twelve people (I doubt they were all students) walked in together right before anthem. They unscrolled their homemade banner (since no one would have otherwise noticed them at all) during anthem. More fans near them held counter protest signs and large United States flags. The protesters did nothing else and were all gone by halftime.

Reactions: UTEP05
Does the UTEP Marching Band still do this just before home games? It sure was fun when they were under the direction of T. Andre Feagin. He definitely knew how to get the fans excited at both football and basketball games. I don't even know who the new Band director is.

Reactions: MINER63 and UTEP05
Does the UTEP Marching Band still do this just before home games? It sure was fun when they were under the direction of T. Andre Feagin. He definitely knew how to get the fans excited at both football and basketball games. I don't even know who the new Band director is.

Nope, they used to play after the games exiting the tunnel and they don't even do that anymore.

So is there a consensus that this is probably the end for Kug's, or does he get one more year with his new staff.

If it is, who are realistic coaching staff options?

This is always an uncomfortable subject.

So is there a consensus that this is probably the end for Kug's, or does he get one more year with his new staff.

If it is, who are realistic coaching staff options?

This is always an uncomfortable subject.
His next loss should seal his fate, with a possible exception for a bowl loss depending on the opponent.

Does anyone know how long Pease and the DC area signed on for? If they have spend too much money to buy out the the staff and pay for a new staff the Kugler may get another year. I can't really think of a time where UTEP canned eveyone. Stull seems content with letting contracts run out and goinget from there.

I think Kugler is done. Attendance is plummeting and his style of offense is boring to watch and doesn't help attendance. We need a head coach who is going to run a spread type offense.

My realistic HC choices

Doug Meacham- TCU OC. He will have good recruiting connections in Texas.
Sterline Gilbert- UT OC. Good recruiting connections in Texas and he will more than likely be without a job after this season.

My not so realistic choices
Major Applewhite. UH OC. He will probably be the next UH coach when Herman leaves so he isn't going anywhere.

Kendall Briles. He would probably laugh if Stull contacted him, but you never know.

Rich Rodriguez. He will more than likely be fired after this season, but I see a mountain west school gobbling him up.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
I think Kugler is done. Attendance is plummeting and his style of offense is boring to watch and doesn't help attendance. We need a head coach who is going to run a spread type offense.

My realistic HC choices

Sterline Gilbert- UT OC. Good recruiting connections in Texas and he will more than likely be without a job after this season.

Major Applewhite. UH OC. He will probably be the next UH coach when Herman leaves so he isn't going anywhere.

Kendall Briles. He would probably laugh if Stull contacted him, but you never know.

Rich Rodriguez. He will more than likely be fired after this season, but I see a mountain west school gobbling him up.

Meachum or Gilbert = realistic?

Meachum may be in play this year. Almost took the UNT job last year. A rough year at TCU this year. All coordinators want be head coaches almost all have to start at g5 schools.

Gilbert is certainly in play. He will most likely be unemployed in six weeks. His reune is a little thin but he has high upside.

Dream hire would be Todd Orlando the dc from Houston. Ive never thought alot of applewhite but I think Orlando is the next big thing in coaching. I dont think we have a real chance to get him.

The wild card: Art Briles. Hes going to have to rehab for a year at a g5 school just like petrino did. We have a history of hiring disgraced coaches, price and floyd, so the administration shouldnt be a problem. I think he will probably end up at Houston.

My realistic HC choices

I sure as hell hope not. Talk about vanilla play calling...

Conference USA coaches salaries:
David Bailiff, Rice, $903,556
Frank Wilson, UTSA, $835,000
Seth Littrell, North Texas, $815,000
Jeff Brohm, Western Kentucky, $808,720
Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee, $804,004
Doc Holliday, Marshall, $765,320
Ron Turner, Florida International, $610,731
Brad Lambert, Charlotte, $600,000
Charlie Partridge, Florida Atlantic, $591,250
Bobby Wilder, Old Dominion, $569,590
Sean Kugler, Texas-El Paso, $515,332
Skip Holtz, Louisiana Tech, $515,000
Jay Hopson, Southern Mississippi, $500,000

Kugs is 3rd to last in CUSA and last among TX FBS college coaches. My question is how do UTSA and North TX pay more than UTEP?

Meacham has never been a head coach and he is 51 years old and isn't getting any younger, so the window is slowly closing on him on becoming a head coach. So I say he is realistic. If he has dreams to coach at P5 schools he needs to act pretty soon and coach at a mid major school. He will take a pay cut but has the potential to land a multimillion dollar contract.

Natalicio would never OK hiring Briles.

Conference USA coaches salaries:
David Bailiff, Rice, $903,556
Frank Wilson, UTSA, $835,000
Seth Littrell, North Texas, $815,000
Jeff Brohm, Western Kentucky, $808,720
Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee, $804,004
Doc Holliday, Marshall, $765,320
Ron Turner, Florida International, $610,731
Brad Lambert, Charlotte, $600,000
Charlie Partridge, Florida Atlantic, $591,250
Bobby Wilder, Old Dominion, $569,590
Sean Kugler, Texas-El Paso, $515,332
Skip Holtz, Louisiana Tech, $515,000
Jay Hopson, Southern Mississippi, $500,000

Kugs is 3rd to last in CUSA and last among TX FBS college coaches. My question is how do UTSA and North TX pay more than UTEP?

Stull's philosophy is what holds down coaches salaries not finances.

Meacham would be a great hire, but I don't see him leaving Ft. Worth for El Paso. He and his wife are very plugged into the community and their church. But make him say no...

Meacham would be a great hire, but I don't see him leaving Ft. Worth for El Paso. He and his wife are very plugged into the community and their church. But make him say no...
I will scratch him off the realistic list. I have always wondered why he is not a head coach but this explains it. I agree, I don't see him leaving Ft. Worth for El Paso. Or he can consider the UTEP job as helping someone in need and missionary work.

Reactions: unihorn
I will scratch him off the realistic list. I have always wondered why he is not a head coach but this explains it. I agree, I don't see him leaving Ft. Worth for El Paso. Or he can consider the UTEP job as helping someone in need and missionary work.

Gilbert would be an exciting hire to me (spread, Texas roots/ties, Briles disciple, young up and comer). Do we have the balls to go get him and pay him?

We are going to have to grow some balls and pay someone if we ever expect to get out of CUSA. Rumors still say Strong is gone at the end of the season, so it's the best time to get Gilbert. Guys like Gilbert, Kendall Briles will cost a lot but they have good Texas ties and they our our best hope at turning this program around and leaving CUSA.

just curious...what is Stull's philosophy???

Stull is the ultimate micro manager strongman. He has said he doesn't pay coaches higher salaries because he thinks they will get to big and he wont be able to control them. Stull more than most ads completely controls the narrative around UTEP athletics. He is affraid paying a coach more means he loses control. He has said that.

He also has said if he pays a coach a million dollars a year he would have to be much less patient with coaches. As we all know he doesnt like firing anyone. He likes continuity. He told a group of boosters in 2010 if Mike Price was being paid a million dollars a year he would have to fire him. However, since he wasnt paid much he had much less pressure or need to fire him. The low salary gave him the ability to let coaches right the ship and thats how he likes it.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
If that's true Minerforlife (which I don't doubt) then this is Natalicio's fault as well as the boosters for having a man like Stull in charge who not only accepts mediocrity but rewards it by letting these coaches finish out their contracts.

Stull is the ultimate micro manager strongman. He has said he doesn't pay coaches higher salaries because he thinks they will get to big and he wont be able to control them. Stull more than most ads completely controls the narrative around UTEP athletics. He is affraid paying a coach more means he loses control. He has said that.

He also has said if he pays a coach a million dollars a year he would have to be much less patient with coaches. As we all know he doesnt like firing anyone. He likes continuity. He told a group of boosters in 2010 if Mike Price was being paid a million dollars a year he would have to fire him. However, since he wasnt paid much he had much less pressure or need to fire him. The low salary gave him the ability to let coaches right the ship and thats how he likes it.

What "narrative"?

We are going to have to grow some balls and pay someone if we ever expect to get out of CUSA. Rumors still say Strong is gone at the end of the season, so it's the best time to get Gilbert. Guys like Gilbert, Kendall Briles will cost a lot but they have good Texas ties and they our our best hope at turning this program around and leaving CUSA.

I totally agree! The underlying point is what does Stull want for the program? Grow it or remain, at best, mediocre? I say go big. K. Briles or Gilbert isn't and wouldn't stay long, but I don't need them too. I need them to generate some excitement with the program. UTEP would easily transition to a place to be instead of a place to avoid for athletes. But even more, Briles and Gilbert's names carries weight and could easily convince players to come and I'm not talking about big name, 5 star guys. I'm talking those 3s and 2s and the other ones that get overlooked.

What "narrative"?

Stull's argument is soooooo asinine backwards, it's almost idiotic thinking. I don't want to pay you much because you'll leave and I don't want to put pressure on you or myself if I have to fire you. HELLO! Every coach goes into coaching knowing one day their ticket may get called and they're sent packing. What's he got? Baby balls? I won't go after the girl of my dreams cause she probably won't go out with me. I won't by a Porsche because someone may steal it. What a shallow way to live and an even shallower way to manage an athletic department. Efn ticked me off. I need some coffee!

Stull's argument is soooooo asinine backwards, it's almost idiotic thinking. I don't want to pay you much because you'll leave and I don't want to put pressure on you or myself if I have to fire you. HELLO! Every coach goes into coaching knowing one day their ticket may get called and they're sent packing. What's he got? Baby balls? I won't go after the girl of my dreams cause she probably won't go out with me. I won't by a Porsche because someone may steal it. What a shallow way to live and an even shallower way to manage an athletic department. Efn ticked me off. I need some coffee!

Well, you're probably right about the girl...

Gilbert, btw, runs a derivation of the spread he calls the "power spread." It still features a power run game, combined with deep passes and other spread elements.

Reactions: CubsFan81
Who gives a dang what is paid to the last two coaches? Price's tenure at UTEP, and Kugler right now, don't care about the money at this point in their career; they've made their money. Stull knows that and it totally makes sense. Have any of you ever applied for a law enforcement officer or agent position? They check your financial standing so the potential candidate is above board and will not be influenced by graft or other negative financial corruptive influences, now or in the future.

However, if you get that up and coming, energetic coach from Bubbatown College south of B.F.E., who will take that UTEP job quicker than a hobo on a ham sandwich, you know what? Stull is going to hire a young Stull but the young Stull knows who is in charge and knows how AD Stull wants his ring kissed. That young Stull knows that at least one or two conference championships, a win against a middle of the road P5 school at some mid-tier bowl will get him that lucrative higher profile job someday. IMO, that's what UTEP needs. Kind of like what UTEP had in Tony Barbee in basketball. A (post) modern day "Tom Sawyer".

"A modern day warrior
Mean, mean stride
Today's Tom Sawyer
Mean, mean pride
Though his mind is not for rent
Don't put him down as arrogant
His reserve a quiet defense
Riding out the day's events...the river" [Rush; "Tom Sawyer"; Moving Pictures 1981].

UTEP hasn't found that yet. Stull did in basketball with Barbee, but Barbee wanted a bigger name. Stull could have offered more, but Barbee wanted more. And that's ok! That's part of mid major sports. But then again, based on what minerforlife stated earlier, maybe Stull doesn't want a person like that?

Perhaps his 259K salary makes him feel puny by comparison.!?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT