ADVERTISEMENT

Where to begin

Fans begging for this at The Don. Yet we still have our ancient relic, which isn't even dusted!

Keep at it with the suites Bobbie!

Fans begging for this at The Don. Yet we still have our ancient relic, which isn't even dusted!

Keep at it with the suites Bobbie!

Love the idea, but the roof cannot sustain it. Yes, it would mean that the DHC would have to be renovated (torn down and rebuilt?) When the new arena gets built downtown, it should have that and the auxiliary boards that circle the arena.
Example: Bud Walton Arena at the University of Arkansas.
http://www.daktronics.com/en-us/photos/details?pn=WP-20391&cid=UNI020

So then it sounds like Stull should be gone!!!

I want Kugler (and Floyd) gone more than Stull. Stull has transformed UTEP athletics for the overall good. Hate him or love him, he did a lot of good things. Yes, he comes off as an arrogant control freak but his college athletics intuition for mid-majors 3101 to try to stay one step ahead is legendary and there are colleges who copy his work. There are major athletic programs who have tried to steal him away. Let him build his luxury boxes in the stadium and he will ride off into the sunset.

Love the idea, but the roof cannot sustain it. Yes, it would mean that the DHC would have to be renovated (torn down and rebuilt?) When the new arena gets built downtown, it should have that and the auxiliary boards that circle the arena.
Example: Bud Walton Arena at the University of Arkansas.
http://www.daktronics.com/en-us/photos/details?pn=WP-20391&cid=UNI020

That can be engineered but at a hefty, hefty price. But then again that goes back to Floyd. Get UTEP to the dance and I bet Bob will throw in the fireworks and courtside flames himself. But as of right now, UTEP is offering 2-for-1 one on men's basketball, ugh!

Having been to many arenas and stadiums I can say that while our venues are far from state of the art, MANY places would love to have venues as large and good as the Sun Bowl and DHC.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
The DHC is fine, built in the what 70's, it's held up pretty good. Now the Sun Bowl, that's another story.

Having been to many arenas and stadiums I can say that while our venues are far from state of the art, MANY places would love to have venues as large and good as the Sun Bowl and DHC.

I totally agree. Sun Bowl needs to some work, but it's still a solid and beautiful stadium. I remember taking one Fort Bliss staff sergeant soldier friend of mine from New Hampshire to the Sun Bowl ten or so years ago and he thought he shit, died and went to heaven because he had never seen such a college stadium, he was so awestruck.

Reactions: Cube Jack
In my student days I saw a few stadiums as good or better than the Sun Bowl. Then I remember the games at UNM, Tulsa and Utah, whose stadiums were so small by comparison to ours. What was then called "Qualcomm" was huge but a total dump. NMSU doesn't compare and they have great enrollment. I was at LA Tech this season. The people were very nice to us, but the stadium was about half of ours. I'll be at Rice so I'll see how that compares.

In my student days I saw a few stadiums as good or better than the Sun Bowl. Then I remember the games at UNM, Tulsa and Utah, whose stadiums were so small by comparison to ours. What was then called "Qualcomm" was huge but a total dump. NMSU doesn't compare and they have great enrollment. I was at LA Tech this season. The people were very nice to us, but the stadium was about half of ours. I'll be at Rice so I'll see how that compares.

Rice stadium is alright...not bad. The Oilers used to play there in the 60s. Probably 60-70 years old. Nothing awe inspiring about it. Holds near 50K but I bet they get 10K tops for most games these days. Certainly can't compare to the Sun Bowl, imo.

Reactions: Cube Jack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT