ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you want as UTEP OC and DC

Came across this interview of Dimel from mid 2019 and one paragraph popped out.

"Dimel helped lay the groundwork for a turnaround at Houston a decade later. Unfortunately for him, his predecessor, Art Briles, reaped the benefits, winning back-to-back conference titles in 2006 and 2007 with Dimel’s fingerprints all over those rosters."

I'll let the Briles lovers chime in. Now Mike Price did give Nord props for leaving him good quality players to work with (Nord recruits under Price went to bowls in year 1 and 2 under MP). No record of Briles reciprocating to Dimel that I can find.

Dimel on Wyoming & Houston tenure

Dimel didn't have anything to do with Briles success. Briles first three years at Houston he had to implement his system and get rid of Dimel's players. In his first three years at UH he didn't finish with an above 500 record in CUSA. He was able in those first three years to get to six wins twice in those first three seasons and go to bowl games. In his last two seasons at UH with his players he went 13-3 in conference play.

He did the same thing at Baylor. He took over for Guy Morris and after two rebuilding years made Baylor the best program in the Big Twelve.

Nord gets credit for what Price did because after Nords players were gone Price never had another winning season. He ended his UTEP tenure with seven straight losing seasons.

Dimel didn't have anything to do with Briles success. Briles first three years at Houston he had to implement his system and get rid of Dimel's players. In his first three years at UH he didn't finish with an above 500 record in CUSA. He was able in those first three years to get to six wins twice in those first three seasons and go to bowl games. In his last two seasons at UH with his players he went 13-3 in conference play.

He did the same thing at Baylor. He took over for Guy Morris and after two rebuilding years made Baylor the best program in the Big Twelve.

Nord gets credit for what Price did because after Nords players were gone Price never had another winning season. He ended his UTEP tenure with seven straight losing seasons.
I believe you despite my dislike of Briles. The interview was clearly a softball interview.

However, the huge difference between a Briles & Dimel is one will turn his head to the rules to win or garner attention and the other is a traditional institutional college coach.

Both struggled in some capacity and left a messy table.

I believe you despite my dislike of Briles. The interview was clearly a softball interview.

However, the huge difference between a Briles & Dimel is one will turn his head to the rules to win or garner attention and the other is a traditional institutional college coach.

Both struggled in some capacity and left a messy table.
1) Are we willing to use Briles to turn the program around? 2) Would our athletic dept be capable of building on whatever success he might bring when he leaves?

Basically UTEP could use Briles and vice versa, but it would be imperative to build on his potential success

1) Are we willing to use Briles to turn the program around? 2) Would our athletic dept be capable of building on whatever success he might bring when he leaves?

Basically UTEP could use Briles and vice versa, but it would be imperative to build on his potential success
No rhanks

Reactions: minermx07
If I’m looking at the info correctly Dimel is currently the second worst paid coach in the conference. Only above Holtz who made 704k. Cheap is not the way to go. We already saw what a 500k coach can do at UTEP. We need to make the pay at least 1 million dollar so that coaches like Holtz and Jones would rather coach at UTEP than take a 250-300k paycut to coach at LT, Arkansas St, Etc.

And yet you ignore the part where I said their contract should have incentives to reward them for wins. Base pay is only *part* of their overall compensation. Win, get paid.

And yet you ignore the part where I said their contract should have incentives to reward them for wins. Base pay is only *part* of their overall compensation. Win, get paid.

No one is coming here under a contract like that. You would have to get a high school coach to sign something like that. I would be surprised if you can find one head coach in college football that has a contract where the majority of the pay is an incentives.

Hell yes and it would depend who the next guy is. If it's someone with a proven record of winning, then I would say yes. If it's another coach that doesn't have a winning record, I would say no.

No one is coming here under a contract like that. You would have to get a high school coach to sign something like that. I would be surprised if you can find one head coach in college football that has a contract where the majority of the pay is an incentives.

Only desperate people take a deal like that. And only an awful institution would offer a deal like that. What agent would say “that’s a good deal. Go to a perennial loser and get paid per win.”

Reactions: Taco1977

I truly am struggling to believe that I have to keep repeating myself. Nowhere have I said that the "majority" of a coaches contract would be as incentives.

What I have said is that surely we can structure a contract that pays a coach handsomely while reserving a fair amount for incentives to win. We MUST acknowledge that we will NEVER be UT or Alabama or Michigan.

It is what it is at UTEP. UTEP is a stepping-stone school. Accept it and structure contacts as such so that if a coach wins he gets paid more as he prepares to move on to the much higher paying gig.

With that said, I'm done with this. I appreciate the discussion and disagreement. It's all healthy and good.

You honestly think Dimel would bring Briles to UTEP with a college president like Wilson? Dimel is not the best college coach but he is not stupid.

I truly am struggling to believe that I have to keep repeating myself. Nowhere have I said that the "majority" of a coaches contract would be as incentives.

What I have said is that surely we can structure a contract that pays a coach handsomely while reserving a fair amount for incentives to win. We MUST acknowledge that we will NEVER be UT or Alabama or Michigan.

It is what it is at UTEP. UTEP is a stepping-stone school. Accept it and structure contacts as such so that if a coach wins he gets paid more as he prepares to move on to the much higher paying gig.

With that said, I'm done with this. I appreciate the discussion and disagreement. It's all healthy and good.
Right now yes, but we SHOULD be able to snowball any short-term success thereafter. Thats how long-term success is achieved at the mid-major level (especially in basketball). Ending up with a good coach that wants to stay and succeed (and is rewarded so) should be the ultimate goal though

I realize most of the talk about Briles is hypothetical, as is mine, but he isn’t ever gonna come to UTEP. Hugh Freeze is a wanted man again, and if not Auburn, somebody is gonna snag him. My guess is Briles will replace him as Liberty’s next head coach.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Art Briles is considered the favorite to take over at Liberty now that Hugh Freeze was fired. His salary at Liberty was 3 million a year, which is unreal. UTEP can’t match that. Move on.

Reactions: minermx07
UTEP used incentives in Price's contract. Season tickets over a certain number meant more money for him. Winning season, division title, conference title, bowl game all meant bonuses. I believe there was even a bonus for winning a national title. Unfortunately for Price and UTEP the opponents used the violence across the border against him in recruiting battles. Stull even referenced that. Add to that the OC hiring of son #2 which did not pan out. Even though Price had a number of losing seasons his last team, with only 3 wins, was better than what we see now.

Art Briles is considered the favorite to take over at Liberty now that Hugh Freeze was fired. His salary at Liberty was 3 million a year, which is unreal. UTEP can’t match that. Move on.
Didn't Liberty just recently up Freeze's pay and extend his contract thru 2026?

Reactions: JCorona
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3945254002

Six wins and above seems to be the standard incentive.

Yeah, and look how small those bonuses are. They're a fraction of the coaches actual salary. Nothing wrong with having incentives in a contract. But if we think we're going to pay someone less than what we're paying now and then fill their contract up with incentives to get them to be the second lowest paid coach and conference USA, we are out of our minds! Honestly, I don't think the administration is really concerned with winning. Football foots the bill for a lot of the athletic department as it is. I'm sure it would be nice for them to find some money to pay coaches more, but as long as football is profitable it's not a necessity.

Yeah, and look how small those bonuses are. They're a fraction of the coaches actual salary. Nothing wrong with having incentives in a contract. But if we think we're going to pay someone less than what we're paying now and then fill their contract up with incentives to get them to be the second lowest paid coach and conference USA, we are out of our minds! Honestly, I don't think the administration is really concerned with winning. Football foots the bill for a lot of the athletic department as it is. I'm sure it would be nice for them to find some money to pay coaches more, but as long as football is profitable it's not a necessity.
I just don't see how it could possibly be profitable over the last several seasons.

Can't find anything for last season, but it looks like UTEP profits about a million after all expenses are paid.

It‘s shocking how many athletic departments operate at little to no profit in good years, I can not imagine the losses they all took this year. We need the AD and the president to come up with a vision of what they want UTEP athletics to be. And they need to get the alumni and the community to buy into that vision so they can help fund this move into a competitive program. If we don’t pay a good coach a good competitive pay we’re going to keep going in circles.

I think we should see if it's true and bring Art in now. Once could be a fluke, twice is proof. Let's get to the truth of it all. 😂
Since you obviously have sources in UTEP athletics we will depend on you for rumors about the coordinator replacements. We get nothing from sports reporters in the area.

Since you obviously have sources in UTEP athletics we will depend on you for rumors about the coordinator replacements. We get nothing from sports reporters in the area.

That is not a rumor, I was just making a joke about firing Dimel and bringing in Briles to see if he can rekindle the magic.

That is not a rumor, I was just making a joke about firing Dimel and bringing in Briles to see if he can rekindle the magic.
Oh I understood that but really you are our inside guy on this board. We don't get BS from you and when others spout some BS you call it out. Just saying if you have some inside info to pass along, we appreciate it.

Have you guys seen the contract UNM was going to give Briles? That’s one way to get rid of Dimel and hire a former P5 coach I desperately want.

Link or maybe tell us more?

This is what I was able to find. If I'm UTEP, I make this call RIGHT NOW!

"Briles’ name was tossed about last year as a potential replacement for Bob Davie, who somehow survived the guillotine and coached the Lobos to a miserable 2-10 record. It’s said Briles was seeking a five-year deal in which he’d coach the first three years at a fraction of the price (about $350,000 per) with the understanding that he’d make $750,000 for the last two."

Reactions: axingfools1
That’s it Taco. I remember reading that one and another blogging article back around that time with the same figures. I can’t find the latter.

The price for Brilea has undoubtedly increased because he's been under serious consideration. Hugh Freeze makes 2 million a year at Liberty. If he leaves for the SEC you can safely assume Briles will make at least that maybe up to 2.5.

Bo Pellini

The name that intrigues me is Chad Morris. El Paso has never been viewed as really part of Texas. We've never had a coach who was really was a superstar with Texas high school coaches. Morris would fit the bill, he could bridge the enormous gap between El Paso and "real Texas".Morris makes me nervous because his head coaching is spotty at best. He definitely increased the talent level at SMU but his teams were mediocre. His year and a half at Arkansas was an absolute trainwreck. I think he would definitely increase our talent level I just don't know if he could win.

The name that intrigues me is Chad Morris. El Paso has never been viewed as really part of Texas. We've never had a coach who was really was a superstar with Texas high school coaches. Morris would fit the bill, he could bridge the enormous gap between El Paso and "real Texas".Morris makes me nervous because his head coaching is spotty at best. He definitely increased the talent level at SMU but his teams were mediocre. His year and a half at Arkansas was an absolute trainwreck. I think he would definitely increase our talent level I just don't know if he could win.

Our disagreement in regard to the UTEP-NMSU rivalry notwithstanding, I have found myself agreeing with you more and more recently, HOWEVER, no ****ing way on Chad Morris. He may be a great offensive mind as an OC, but he is a terrible head coach. Pass.

If Art Briles was asking for that type of cash, you have to seriously look at him as a possible candidate.
He should have been hired by UTEP 3 years ago.. UTEP would easily be a top 5 CUSA team right now if Briles was hired instead of Dimel. UTEP blew a huge opportunity to turn the football program around in a short amount of time.

Last edited:
Empanada order still stands if we can drop the Briles-never-gonna-happen candidacy.;)

Now as for Yost, I hope that goes from pipe dream to possibility because he will have this offense clicking on all cylinders.

Empanada order still stands if we can drop the Briles-never-gonna-happen candidacy.;)

Now as for Yost, I hope that goes from pipe dream to possibility because he will have this offense clicking on all cylinders.

Sadly, they'll probably just promote from within. Or find some K-State retread.

Reactions: FedupMiner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT