ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you want as UTEP OC and DC

I know this is wishful thinking and we don’t have an opening yet, but a guy I’d like to see as our next HC is Andy Avalos. Avalos is the DC at Oregon and is an up an coming young coach. He played college ball at Boise St and is originally from Cali. Avalos would be able to bring energy and new blood to a program that’s been stagnant for several years. Avalos’ California and west coast connections would also benefit UTEP In recruiting. I think UTEP would be able to afford him since he made $815,000 last year and will make $865,000 in 2021. I’m sure Avalos is ready to be a head coach soon and be the architect of his own program. I hope he’s still available by the time UTEP’s head coaching job becomes available.

That would be nice if he probably wasn't headed to Boise already.

I know this is wishful thinking and we don’t have an opening yet, but a guy I’d like to see as our next HC is Andy Avalos. Avalos is the DC at Oregon and is an up an coming young coach. He played college ball at Boise St and is originally from Cali. Avalos would be able to bring energy and new blood to a program that’s been stagnant for several years. Avalos’ California and west coast connections would also benefit UTEP In recruiting. I think UTEP would be able to afford him since he made $815,000 last year and will make $865,000 in 2021. I’m sure Avalos is ready to be a head coach soon and be the architect of his own program. I hope he’s still available by the time UTEP’s head coaching job becomes available.

There is absolutely no way in Hell we could get Avalos at UTEP. Why would he take a job making the same amount of money at UTEP whenhe’s probably in line to get a P5 job with more than double what he’s making now? If UTEP wants a coach of that caliber they’d better be ready to make it worth their while.

Looks like he's headed to Boise State as new HC

Ryan Pugh is back on the market. He had a good run with Troy. Would be an interesting hire.

What is taking so long?

Well I guess it really doesn't matter since we have so little scholarships available and Dimel will run the offense anyway. Maybe we should just keep Dimel as OC and promote from within for DC to save money for a 5th year buyout.

Ryan Pugh is back on the market. He had a good run with Troy. Would be an interesting hire.
A traveling Willbury, not a bad resume, started in 01/2019 ay Troy.

Appears he is not affraid to move and restart, move and restart [repeat]. He maybe the right guy for now because I don't see Dimel going past two years just based on his history and tenure here.

A traveling Willbury, not a bad resume, started in 01/2019 ay Troy.

Appears he is not affraid to move and restart, move and restart [repeat]. He maybe the right guy for now because I don't see Dimel going past two years just based on his history and tenure here.
Now I keep picturing Roy Orbison as offensive coordinator.

We may lose "but it's alllllllllllright..."

Reactions: utep2step
With a coach with as bad a track record as Dimel, this has to be the least attractive job for a coordinators this year. I wish I could put a positive spin on it I just can't. Very tough to hire coordinators when you are likely to be unemployed in a year. I hope I'm wrong buy 9m not expecting much.

Reactions: picks up
I was told by a source that the OC from SFA is applying for the position at UTEP.

I hope that's true. Hes been with Carthel since 2012 as OC going back to his days at A&M Commerce. He was the d2 coordinator of the year in 2017. He's a good recruiter. Big part of the reason SFA pulled in the number on class in FCS last year. As long as Dimel gives up play calling I think that would be as good a hire as we could hope for.

He could have been our OC three years ago. Carthel wanted this job bad and had several big name Texas high school coaches call Senter and lobby for him to get the job.

Seems very underwhelming compared to the offensive staff ULM is putting together.

I don’t understand why Dimel didn’t get Rodriguez and his son. Don’t we need an OC and QB?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Seems very underwhelming compared to the offensive staff ULM is putting together.

I don’t understand why Dimel didn’t get Rodriguez and his son. Don’t we need an OC and QB?

Dimel has an atrocious record as a head coach and could be out this time next year. Very few coordinators will take the risk of joining the Titanic after its already hit the iceberg. ULM is stable Bowden is getting at least three years. Rodriguez's son has two years of eligibility which he will most most certainly exhaust at ULM. Rodriguez has name value. However, his offense really hasn't flourished since he was in Morgantown. I don't view it as a can't miss hire. It's more of last chance for Rodriguez.

Not buying the ULM Good Ship Bowden. UTEP and other mid majors have done the AARP hiring with eh success.

For the life of me I can not understand why mid major schools will not allow young talent a chance? Senter stated that UTEP did interview some asst studs from good programs but wanted way too much.

UTEP needs a Gary Nord type recruiter with a Steve Kragthorpe(Tulsa)/Bobby Wilder(ODU) head coach DNA. Nord could find uncut gems under remote rocks and Kragthorpe and Wilder can chew gum and walk at the same time and they took their mid major programs to winning ways. (ODU is full of themselves but he is a nice man from what I have read).

And the coach on top of my list is Skip Holtz. La Tech grumbling is that they are frustrated because he can't win the conference crown (despite a good bowl record) and may look elsewhere. I hope Senter is ready.

UTEP needs a Gary Nord type recruiter with a Steve Kragthorpe(Tulsa)/Bobby Wilder(ODU) head coach DNA. Nord could find uncut gems under remote rocks and Kragthorpe and Wilder can chew gum and walk at the same time and they took their mid major programs to winning ways. (ODU is full of themselves but he is a nice man from what I have read).

And the coach on top of my list is Skip Holtz. La Tech grumbling is that they are frustrated because he can't win the conference crown (despite a good bowl record) and may look elsewhere. I hope Senter is ready.
I don’t think so. He just signed a five year contract that locks him in until 2025. LT has one of the lowest athletic budgets in the conference. I don’t think they have 3+ million laying around to fire a coach that has made 7 straight bowl games.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Dimel has an atrocious record as a head coach and could be out this time next year. Very few coordinators will take the risk of joining the Titanic after its already hit the iceberg. ULM is stable Bowden is getting at least three years. Rodriguez's son has two years of eligibility which he will most most certainly exhaust at ULM. Rodriguez has name value. However, his offense really hasn't flourished since he was in Morgantown. I don't view it as a can't miss hire. It's more of last chance for Rodriguez.

I really feel like Dimel is “dead man walking”. With that being said is it wrong that I an almost resigned to let him see out this year and maybe Senter should get a head start on looking for a new HC.

I really feel like Dimel is “dead man walking”. With that being said is it wrong that I an almost resigned to let him see out this year and maybe Senter should get a head start on looking for a new HC.
Same. Rich Rodriguez seems like a natural fit as OC. Two years then take over the program. The Hispanic community will love his last name.

Same. Rich Rodriguez seems like a natural fit as OC. Two years then take over the program. The Hispanic community will love his last name.
UTEP should only hire Hispanics from now on and not just any Hispanic. They should only hire Hispanics specifically of Mexican heritage. That will ensure full athletic venues and athletic success.

UTEP should also only recruit athletes of Mexican heritage because El Paso will then love the UTEP athletic teams.

Last edited:
I hope that's true. Hes been with Carthel since 2012 as OC going back to his days at A&M Commerce. He was the d2 coordinator of the year in 2017. He's a good recruiter. Big part of the reason SFA pulled in the number on class in FCS last year. As long as Dimel gives up play calling I think that would be as good a hire as we could hope for.

He could have been our OC three years ago. Carthel wanted this job bad and had several big name Texas high school coaches call Senter and lobby for him to get the job.
The SFA OC would be a good hire. He was division 2 OC of the year in 2017 on the div 2 national champs Texas A&M Commerce and has done a good job with the offense at SFA.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
UTEP should only hire Hispanics from now on and not just any Hispanic. They should only hire Hispanics specifically of Mexican heritage. That will ensure full athletic venues and athletic success.

UTEP should also only recruit athletes of Mexican heritage because El Paso will then love the UTEP athletic teams.

Are you joking with this? Please say you are. If you think it's bad now, you just found a way for it to get a lot worse.

Reactions: kickballpro

Really that’s what you got out of my post? Nice.

btw how has hiring only white gone for UTEP football???

Last edited:
The SFA OC would be a good hire. He was division 2 OC of the year in 2017 on the div 2 national champs Texas A&M Commerce and has done a good job with the offense at SFA.
Success at lower levels rarely translates to success at FBS.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Hispanic or white or whatever doesn't matter. People won't come unless we win.
He has won 117 games at 3 different P5 schools. You honestly think if he was hired as the next hc he wouldn’t increase ticket sales on name alone before even playing a down of football?

He’s not of Mexican decent or Puerto Rican. His grandfather is from Spain. Rich doesn’t even consider himself a minority. I’m telling you the last name alone would help sell season tickets that first year.

Reactions: kickballpro
Success at lower levels rarely translates to success at FBS.

as bad as the offense has been under dismel, any changes would be welcomed, i bet there are high school coaches in EP who could implement a more effective offense than the one currently run by dismel

Really that’s what you got out of my post? Nice.

btw how has hiring only white gone for UTEP football???
I was serious so why are you pissed?

Look, EP is over 80% Hispanic and that is reflected in UTEP's enrollment. The hiring of Hispanics might have been a bit overstated by me but it should be at least a very prominent part of hiring and recruiting. The majority of EP and UTEP students would identify closer with UTEP athletics.

You can't tell me that Hispanic coaches and players are not available to get the job done and done well.

So be pissed all you want but I believe it would work and should be tried.

I was serious so why are you pissed?

Look, EP is over 80% Hispanic and that is reflected in UTEP's enrollment. The hiring of Hispanics might have been a bit overstated by me but it should be at least a very prominent part of hiring and recruiting. The majority of EP and UTEP students would identify closer with UTEP athletics.

You can't tell me that Hispanic coaches and players are not available to get the job done and done well.

So be pissed all you want but I believe it would work and should be tried.
You can’t spin it. Your true intentions were evident in the original post. But I’ll play along. Which Hispanics coaches, specifically of Mexican heritage, should we pursue? How many FBS recruits of Mexican decent are currently available that we have an opportunity to recruit?

He has won 117 games at 3 different P5 schools. You honestly think if he was hired as the next hc he wouldn’t increase ticket sales on name alone before even playing a down of football?

He’s not of Mexican decent or Puerto Rican. His grandfather is from Spain. Rich doesn’t even consider himself a minority. I’m telling you the last name alone would help sell season tickets that first year.
I guess there could be some that might buy season tickets because his name is Rodriguez and we are in El Paso. I really don't care about the race of the coach either way. I just want to win. Again, I thought Wisconsin's response to you was sarcastic.

I think we need a splash hire. Do you think Rich Rod fits the bill?

Reactions: JCorona
You can’t spin it. Your true intentions were evident in the original post. But I’ll play along. Which Hispanics coaches, specifically of Mexican heritage, should we pursue? How many FBS recruits of Mexican decent are currently available that we have an opportunity to recruit?
No spin necessary. Apparently you have decided to be offended. Fine with me.

Danny Garcia was just promoted by Senter as Senior Associate AD. Thats a title normally seen when someone later gets an AD job and thats the kind of hire needed at UTEP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT