ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you want as UTEP OC and DC

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
The deed is done whether we agree with it or not. Both coordinators are gone.

Assume that no OC is going to agree to come to UTEP without a lot of control and especially the play calling duties.

If this had happened a week ago I would have wanted the OC from HBU but WKU already got him.

So who would you like to see take the reigns of UTEP's offense and defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I don’t know how UTEP approaches this. I feel like they’re going to have to either promote from within or pick a coach who’s desperate if Dimel is on a short leash and not allowing them to call plays.

As highly unlikely as it is, could Senter push for a certain candidate at either OC or DC knowing in a year or two he could take over the program? Sort of like an unofficial coach in waiting?

I don’t know how UTEP approaches this. I feel like they’re going to have to either promote from within or pick a coach who’s desperate if Dimel is on a short leash and not allowing them to call plays.

As highly unlikely as it is, could Senter push for a certain candidate at either OC or DC knowing in a year or two he could take over the program? Sort of like an unofficial coach in waiting?

So Art Briles then.

So Art Briles then.
Artie lookin’ rough lately.
EpN3wGlUYAAsajH.jpg

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If promoting from within I could see Matt Wallerstedt as the DC but I don't see any OC candidates on the current staff.

I’d like to see Robert Rodriguez hired as our DC. Although he doesn’t have experience as a coordinator, he is an upcoming coach who has both NFL and P5 experience. He would bring energy and excitement, which has been lacking. He’s the type of guy that players want to play for. As a former Miner he knows what it takes to win here and would be able to bring in good recruits.

Rodriguez has solid experience and better than former UTEP players who were on the sideline or press box coaching for UTEP over the past 40 years.

Senter is an absolute joke of an AD. It doesn't matter who the OC is. Most of the offense comes back and they were recruited for Dimel's offense. I doubt Dimel will relinquish play calling. The OC will literally be a figurehead. No coach with any talent or ambition will want these jobs. Taking one of these jobs is like buying a ticket on the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. Dana Dimel is 12-53 in his last six years a head coach. There is only one incompetent brain dead person who would have hired Dimel and unfortunately he's our AD.

I don't what Wilson is waiting for. Senter has to fired now. Everyday he remains on the job is another day UTEP will lose revenue and deepen the hole the athletic department is in.

After three years there are two indisputable disturbing facts:

Stull>Senter, Kugler>Dimel

And it's not close. As improbable as it seemed at the time we somehow managed to downgrade both positions. We were in desperate need of upgrades at both positions and instead we got massive downgrades.

How much more of this shit does Wilson need to see. We have the most incompatently run athletic department in entire country. We have the worst FBS coach of the 21st century. Wilson comes from the military where accountability is everything. It's time to hold Senter and Dimel accountable for this absolute shit show and can their ass.

Somewhere out in the world there is a youngblood coach with something to prove...the search committee needs to find him and take a chance.

Maybe embrace coaches with new and different training philosophies. Look into yoga, martial arts striking, Tai Chi, fast twitch training, etc. Maybe hire a MMA guy as a special assistant position coach to work with the D-Linemen....something exotic. We can’t train like a Big10 school with the athletes we get.

I’d like to see Robert Rodriguez hired as our DC. Although he doesn’t have experience as a coordinator, he is an upcoming coach who has both NFL and P5 experience. He would bring energy and excitement, which has been lacking. He’s the type of guy that players want to play for. As a former Miner he knows what it takes to win here and would be able to bring in good recruits.

That would be intriguing. In a perfect world you go “Look, be DC learn the trade and then you’re the man once Dimel is gone.” In a perfect world that would be my pick. Plus I’m sure he’s got one or two recruits who will follow him.

I’d hire someone like this guy Peter Hopkins. Early 30s, has had success, he’s been in different places. Has some connections in places where we need to recruit.

He’s currently the OC at the 8th ranked JUCO in the nation.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Senter is an absolute joke of an AD. It doesn't matter who the OC is. Most of the offense comes back and W I doubt Dimel will relinquish play calling. The OC will literally be a figurehead. No coach with any talent or ambition will want these jobs. Taking one of these jobs is like buying a ticket on the Titanic after it hit the iceberg. Dana Dimel is 12-53 in his last six years a head coach. There is only one incompetent brain dead person who would have hired Dimel and unfortunately he's our AD.

I don't what Wilson is waiting for. Senter has to fired now. Everyday he remains on the job is another day UTEP will lose revenue and deepen the hole the athletic department is in.

After three years there are two indisputable disturbing facts:

Stull>Senter, Kugler>Dimel

And it's not close. As improbable as it seemed at the time we somehow managed to downgrade both positions. We were in desperate need of upgrades at both positions and instead we got massive downgrades.

How much more of this shit does Wilson need to see. We have the most incompatently run athletic department in entire country. We have the worst FBS coach of the 21st century. Wilson comes from the military where accountability is everything. It's time to hold Senter and Dimel accountable for this absolute shit show and can their ass.

What IS Dimel’s offense? Because this year’s offense bore very little resemblance to the previous two years.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I’d hire someone like this guy Peter Hopkins. Early 30s, has had success, he’s been in different places. Has some connections in places where we need to recruit.

He’s currently the OC at the 8th ranked JUCO in the nation.

Yes, someone like that or someone like David Yost who was let go at TT recently. He has had some of the top offensive teams at both Utah St and TT. Not his fault the TT defense was so bad.

What sane offensive coordinator would want to shack up with UTEP and coach Dimel under the current circumstances? Dimel calls all of the plays in his inept offense and yet Dimel Seems to be immune from criticism and accountability. Sounds like a losing proposition to me. I hope Senter has the better judgement to force Dismel to give up control of the offense. It is a disaster.

Last edited:
Isn’t this what UTEP always does? Give the job to an alumni ever mmmm if they may not be ready for it?

Would Jordan take the job though? I’m sure he’d get more money getting scrubs like Blake Bortles ready for the draft than coaching. Should’ve hired him on as QB coach long ago.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Would Jordan take the job though? I’m sure he’d get more money getting scrubs like Blake Bortles ready for the draft than coaching. Should’ve hired him on as QB coach long ago.

He’s got a good gig right now. He’s in Cali, doing interviews and throwing passes on the beach as the QB guru. I love El Paso, but I would not take an OC position here, or any coaching job for that matter unless it was for a ton of cash. He seems content and successful in his career.

Steve Spurrier Jr

At the very least he would get our passing game figured out.

Taiwo Onatolu

He's young and super energetic! Could help improve our front 7 dramatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Steve Spurrier Jr

At the very least he would get our passing game figured out.

Taiwo Onatolu

He's young and super energetic! Could help improve our front 7 dramatically.

Spurrier would be a good choice unfortunately I don’t think UTEP can afford him. He makes 390k as a position coach and UTEP was paying Canales around 190k. Plus, no disrespect to UTEP it has to be seen as a step down to take a gig here. To get someone of his quality UTEP would absolutely have to break the bank.

Spurrier would be a good choice unfortunately I don’t think UTEP can afford him. He makes 390k as a position coach and UTEP was paying Canales around 190k. Plus, no disrespect to UTEP it has to be seen as a step down to take a gig here. To get someone of his quality UTEP would absolutely have to break the bank.

Damn! I didn't know he was getting that kinda pay. Winning ain't cheap though.

Maybe 350k and a promise that he can run his offense would get it done. Got to get a coordinator job at some point so that he can move up to being a head coach soon. He ain't getting any younger.

You're right though, it's probably not a realistic option for UTEP!

Unfortunately it’s cyclical. We don’t win, we don’t make money. We don’t make money, we don’t get good coaches. We don’t get good coaches, we get bad players. We get bad players we don’t win. Unfortunately I’m calling it now, we’re digging a coach out of the dumpster.

tenor.gif

It doesn’t have to be like that. We pay Dimel 711k and Terry 750k.

McCasland started at 500k at UNT. We can get a similar coach for that price. Take away 250k and add it to football and now we can afford 961k. Fundraise a little bit and that can easily turn into 1 million per year.

Which would be 175k more than what Arkansas St will pay Butch Jones. Can we really not get a coach like that to take the job here at that rate?

It doesn’t have to be like that. We pay Dimel 711k and Terry 750k.

McCasland started at 500k at UNT. We can get a similar coach for that price. Take away 250k and add it to football and now we can afford 961k. Fundraise a little bit and that can easily turn into 1 million per year.

Which would be 175k more than what Arkansas St will pay Butch Jones. Can we really not get a coach like that to take the job here at that rate?

I didn't check but if you're talking about moving basketball coach money to football that would be an awful idea. There is no reason we cannot bring in a quality coach right now with current budgets and win.

I've outlined in a separate post how we need to set the base much lower but add lots of incentives for wins. It can be done if we really want to do it. No reason UTEP cannot accept that it is a stepping stone program and enjoy success as one.

I didn't check but if you're talking about moving basketball coach money to football that would be an awful idea. There is no reason we cannot bring in a quality coach right now with current budgets and win.

I've outlined in a separate post how we need to set the base much lower but add lots of incentives for wins. It can be done if we really want to do it. No reason UTEP cannot accept that it is a stepping stone program and enjoy success as one.
I think an awful idea is to pay Terry 750k while a school like WKU can a hire a coach with 375 wins and that had made 10 of 12 NCAAT/NIT appearances for 500k.

There no reason why we can’t also.

Reactions: kickballpro

We can't pay a basketball coach more than the football coach. That's just stupid and it's the main reason we've struggled in football. We've never fully funded football. The football coach needs to make 1-1.2 million at a minimum.

We play in a one bid league in hoops. We can get the same results we've gotten paying 400 k to the head coach and significantly cutting assistant salaries and a coaching position.

Reactions: kickballpro
We can't pay a basketball coach more than the football coach. That's just stupid and it's the main reason we've struggled in football. We've never fully funded football. The football coach needs to make 1-1.2 million at a minimum.

We play in a one bid league in hoops. We can get the same results we've gotten paying 400 k to the head coach and significantly cutting assistant salaries and a coaching position.

If you’re cold blooded a sold out Sun Bowl makes more money than a sold out Don any day of the week. Now, there were people on this board saying that there were wealthy boosters who pretty much made sure Floyd was not fired. If that was true would they accept budget cuts to basketball?

I never said we should pay the basketball coach more than the football coach. Go back and read my original post on coaching salaries. BOTH are overpaid.

We need to accept that we are a stepping-stone. In both sports. Base salaries should be lower but have attractive incentives for wins. We win, the coach gets paid and moves on. It is what it is.

Came across this interview of Dimel from mid 2019 and one paragraph popped out.

"Dimel helped lay the groundwork for a turnaround at Houston a decade later. Unfortunately for him, his predecessor, Art Briles, reaped the benefits, winning back-to-back conference titles in 2006 and 2007 with Dimel’s fingerprints all over those rosters."

I'll let the Briles lovers chime in. Now Mike Price did give Nord props for leaving him good quality players to work with (Nord recruits under Price went to bowls in year 1 and 2 under MP). No record of Briles reciprocating to Dimel that I can find.

Dimel on Wyoming & Houston tenure

I never said we should pay the basketball coach more than the football coach. Go back and read my original post on coaching salaries. BOTH are overpaid.

We need to accept that we are a stepping-stone. In both sports. Base salaries should be lower but have attractive incentives for wins. We win, the coach gets paid and moves on. It is what it is.
If I’m looking at the info correctly Dimel is currently the second worst paid coach in the conference. Only above Holtz who made 704k. Cheap is not the way to go. We already saw what a 500k coach can do at UTEP. We need to make the pay at least 1 million dollar so that coaches like Holtz and Jones would rather coach at UTEP than take a 250-300k paycut to coach at LT, Arkansas St, Etc.

Came across this interview of Dimel from mid 2019 and one paragraph popped out.

"Dimel helped lay the groundwork for a turnaround at Houston a decade later. Unfortunately for him, his predecessor, Art Briles, reaped the benefits, winning back-to-back conference titles in 2006 and 2007 with Dimel’s fingerprints all over those rosters."

I'll let the Briles lovers chime in. Now Mike Price did give Nord props for leaving him good quality players to work with (Nord recruits under Price went to bowls in year 1 and 2 under MP). No record of Briles reciprocating to Dimel that I can find.

Dimel on Wyoming & Houston tenure

I think we should see if it's true and bring Art in now. Once could be a fluke, twice is proof. Let's get to the truth of it all. 😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT