ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the winner of the OPT for the UTSA game?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Get off your arse and get it started.

62253197.jpg

Winning the opt is like beating UTSA in football. Nobody really cares and you don't get anything for winning.

Reactions: UTEP05
Winning the opt is like beating UTSA in football. Nobody really cares and you don't get anything for winning.

Booooooo!

Beating UTSA sure as hell trumps losing to UTSA.

When wins are at such a premium, every Miner fan should give a shit when we get one.

Nobody is under the illusion that we're world beaters, but why in the hell would a fan not be happy about that win?

And besides, it's homecoming. You have to find something to drink for....right?

Disagree, most fans were very entertained and happy that this team still had fight in them and at least for now still left the door of Bowl Hopes open. The other real importance of this game will be know at the end of the season, to see if this was the changing point of the season!

What I'd like to see is some momentum from this win and a utilization of the passing game mixed in with the run - permanently.

The only thing dumber than doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is believing that doing the same thing will get a different outcome.

Disagree, most fans were very entertained and happy that this team still had fight in them and at least for now still left the door of Bowl Hopes open. The other real importance of this game will be know at the end of the season, to see if this was the changing point of the season!

Here! Here! Somebody pass this man a beer!

Exactly!!!

UTSA is what in its 3rd season of division 1 football? This is Kuglars 3rd season and he is facing a New coach. It takes Utep 3 overtime s to beat them?? Utep should be beating these teams. If Utep goes into overtime with Houston Baptist will a y'all still be happy?

Reactions: UTEP05
UTSA is what in its 3rd season of division 1 football? This is Kuglars 3rd season and he is facing a New coach. It takes Utep 3 overtime s to beat them?? Utep should be beating these teams. If Utep goes into overtime with Houston Baptist will a y'all still be happy?

Keep the expectations low. ODU is a good team and will be hungry for this win because they will need just one more to be bowl eligible if they come here and steal a win. Second, Kugler has done this before and I really hope he doesn't go back to early 1900's football. The man has weapons to do serious damage in the conference, young good weapons. Sinegal, Dawn and Metz alone can drive the team down the field when the plays are mixed up well. The delayed (wheel) routes they had Jones running was killing UTSA because their linebackers can't keep up with Aaron Jones. Man, what a different team UTEP is with Metz under center!

However, Kugler has gone back to his old ways before.

Reactions: develman and UTEP05
A win is a win. It feels a hell of a lot better to win than lose. I give alot of credit to Kugler and the team. With all the negativity around the program the team could have easily quit. They were down 14 twice and kept fighting. This one game didnt save the season, or magically cure all the programs problems, but its good to win. Im never going to be upset about winning.

Odu is a very winnable game. I like the matchup. You can never underestimate what a little confidence and momentum does for a group of 18 to 22 year old kids. ODU is taking their longest road trip of the season after taking a beating from wku, the final score isnt indicative of how much of a blowout the game was. If the guys can build off last week and win on Saturday the b word will come back into play.

We always get an attendance bump on homecoming. I predict 23,500 in attendance. It will be a small but hopefully vocal crowd.

Reactions: develman

Beating UTSA on the road is a hell of a lot better win than beating Houston Baptist at home.

It doesn't matter how long UTSA has been playing. They have a solid coach and are in fertile recruiting grounds. They won't be an easy win for UTEP going forward.

Reactions: nattybry
Fili its obvious u dont watch Football! They're are not in they're 3rd year 1st of all and they almost beat ASU and they whooped S.Miss, do research before u speak please!

Fili its obvious u dont watch Football! They're are not in they're 3rd year 1st of all and they almost beat ASU and they whooped S.Miss, do research before u speak please!

They are actually in their 3rd year of being a full FBS member.

They are actually in their 3rd year of being a full FBS member.
I thought it was 4th, but I k ow what u mean, by full year, 1st year was transitional. They are recruiting well and getting better and are on a completely different level than Houston Baptist, that was a Dumb comparison by that Fili Character!

I thought it was 4th, but I k ow what u mean, by full year, 1st year was transitional. They are recruiting well and getting better and are on a completely different level than Houston Baptist, that was a Dumb comparison by that Fili Character!

They became a full FBS member in 2014.

Beating UTSA on the road is a hell of a lot better win than beating Houston Baptist at home.

It doesn't matter how long UTSA has been playing. They have a solid coach and are in fertile recruiting grounds. They won't be an easy win for UTEP going forward.

Under Kugler, no team will be an easy win going forward. Last Saturday was the first time a Kugler led UTEP squad came back from two touchdowns. Saturday was a great win, but Kugler is prone to go back inside his shell when the passing game shows signs of life and success. He showed ODU that UTEP can pass the ball well and that they really do have a good qb. So what's he going to do? Run on 1st, run on 2nd and throw a screen on 3rd, punt. If I was the ODU defensive coordinator I would keep eight in the box the entire game and when Kavika is in there, stack the line. He likes to keep the ball and favors running to his left. He doesn't know how to hit the gaps for the Pistol offense when UTEP runs it.

ODU is a good team. This one has the potential to get ugly. Kugler can't stay vanilla in this one (which is what he does for the following game after a big win). He has to open it up; even more than the UTSA game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT