ADVERTISEMENT

Whos fault is it??

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
50%I think it's the Students/alumni fault UTEP is in this mess. They dont go to the games.

40% EL Paso High School football . They dont produce better players. If El Paso was hot recruiting spot MWC or AAC would want us.

10% The losing

50%I think it's the Students/alumni fault UTEP is in this mess. They dont go to the games.

40% EL Paso High School football . They dont produce better players. If El Paso was hot recruiting spot MWC or AAC would want us.

10% The losing
NOPE, it is Bob Stull's and Great Great Great Grandma Natalicio's fault for not accepting the invites to join the MWC(twice) because they wanted to be with the Texas schools who didn't wanted to be with us, and for allowing a jerk like Tim Floyd be stay 7 years as basketball coach.

UTEP has been one of the most well supported Basketball and Football teams over the years for a non power conference. Heck when the Miners Women Basketball team wins EO supports! This is despite losing most years in football and under achieving year after year in what we fancy ourselves as a Basketball School. Though no recent result have showed that. The attendance issue is recent and has many variables. We actually have supported more than the teams departing for the most part. It's like has been said here many times. UTEP never moved with the winds of change in college football, never took a chance with a young hungry head coach, didn't build a better practice field, improve the Sun Bowl, etc... This may also fall on donors and alumni, but mostly on our dearly departed President and Stull. El Paso is unfortunately a product of where it is located on the map. Many of us think the blend of cultures is what makes our home town beautiful some elsewhere do not and they can eat crap. I defend El Paso at least once a week over here, sheesh! El Paso has it's issues to be sure, but I hate when people talk about it and have never even been there or just drove through 😠. El Paso is like a drunk Tío, only family can talk crap about him! Lol, Anyway... the fact that we have about 350,000 TV'S vs 600,000+ TVs which would put us in a top 50 TV market, because El Paso is a border city that a good amount prefer Spanish television is the real issue. This can't be helped. The other things could've been helped and have to change now!

Everyone’s to blame. Bob Stull for playing “Buddy Ball” and making a series of bad hires and refusing to show his boys the door when it was time. Nataclio enabled it and seemed to care more about presiding over a school that catered to the community. The Alumni and city have failed to support this program. Imagine where the program would be if a small percentage of alumni base/community donated just $100.00. I would assume that many of us on this board support UTEP Athletics with our money, if more people did it we could probably start heading in the right direction.

Everyone’s to blame. Bob Stull for playing “Buddy Ball” and making a series of bad hires and refusing to show his boys the door when it was time. Nataclio enabled it and seemed to care more about presiding over a school that catered to the community. The Alumni and city have failed to support this program. Imagine where the program would be if a small percentage of alumni base/community donated just $100.00. I would assume that many of us on this board support UTEP Athletics with our money, if more people did it we could probably start heading in the right direction.

The alumni did contribute to UTEP. It’s called TUITION!

Around 2006-2007 was Stull's chance to really catapult the football program with donations, coaching, amenities and more upgrades. Maybe he wanted too/tried, but it didn't work or Natalicio didn't agree? Who knows. Maybe she thought the Durham center and keeping Price was enough.

Senter may have another opportunity now, but its imperative that he and Wilson make the right moves with Dimel, donations, facility upgrades and total investment in the football program.

Reactions: utep-piggy
NOPE, it is Bob Stull's and Great Great Great Grandma Natalicio's fault for not accepting the invites to join the MWC(twice) because they wanted to be with the Texas schools who didn't wanted to be with us, and for allowing a jerk like Tim Floyd be stay 7 years as basketball coach.
What was she thinking ?

10% The losing
Did you do a survey?

Reactions: Cube Jack
How about one of the poorest places in the country with not a whole lot of top tier corporate sponsorship possibilities and a large percentage of the population who couldn't care less about college football?
Idk if you're young or a new Miner fan, but you're wrong. I was there for almost sold out games and consistent 35,000 plus seasons. Rice, Fresno, Texas, Texas Tech, Middle Tennessee in 2014 just to name a few. If they win consistently the city supports. You must be one of those new gen Miner fans if you don't know this already. Double that statement for basketball! However if this is what younger El Pasoans feel now, then that sucks!

Reactions: FarWestTexas
2014 was an outlier. It was their only winning season since 2004 (this year will change that). Proportionately NMSU draws better than UTEP.

Good read on where El Paso is as a football city:
Best and Worst Cities for Football Over the Last 3 Years
Lol you just showed your age right there, I wasn't just talking about 2014 guy! Any year that I recall from 87 up until 2017 if UTEP was .500 or better the avg was definitely over 30,000 or close to it. Basketball has traditionally had the top attendance in CUSA and was always top 5 in the WAC. It's not El Paso, it's the product! If UTEP wins in both sports, people used to come at least. If that's the case now with the apathy that your implying I don't have the answer to that until they win consistently.

Reactions: jdubb66
Lol you just showed your age right there, I wasn't just talking about 2014 guy! Any year that I recall from 87 up until 2017 if UTEP was .500 or better the avg was definitely over 30,000 or close to it. Basketball has traditionally had the top attendance in CUSA and was always top 5 in the WAC. It's not El Paso, it's the product! If UTEP wins in both sports, people used to come at least. If that's the case now with the apathy that your implying I don't have the answer to that until they win consistently.
So what you’re saying is the fans of El Paso are the ultimate fair weather fans ?

Idk if you're young or a new Miner fan, but you're wrong. I was there for almost sold out games and consistent 35,000 plus seasons. Rice, Fresno, Texas, Texas Tech, Middle Tennessee in 2014 just to name a few. If they win consistently the city supports. You must be one of those new gen Miner fans if you don't know this already. Double that statement for basketball! However if this is what younger El Pasoans feel now, then that sucks!

Please list the years the Miners averaged “35,000 plus”

Reactions: MinerFan79
Well then polish up that ol memory of yours. You of all people should know then that El Paso will get behind a winner!
What folks like you don’t understand is that it goes hand in hand. The fans can elevate bad utep teams. The sun bowl is a weapon when it’s full. If the fans would support utep in the down times, it would likely elevate them. You seem fine with the fact that fans only come out when the teams are good. That’s the El Paso mindset.

What folks like you don’t understand is that it goes hand in hand. The fans can elevate bad utep teams. The sun bowl is a weapon when it’s full. If the fans would support utep in the down times, it would likely elevate them. You seem fine with the fact that fans only come out when the teams are good. That’s the El Paso mindset.
If the Miners had sold out every game in 2017, they’re going bowling and not 0-12?

If the Miners had sold out every game in 2017, they’re going bowling and not 0-12?
Maybe we beat one or two teams.

That's not the point.

The candidates for the coaching vacancy would have drawn more interest. The revenue from ticket sales would also have given us the opportunity to pay better and attract a better quality coach.

Maybe we beat one or two teams.

That's not the point.

The candidates for the coaching vacancy would have drawn more interest. The revenue from ticket sales would also have given us the opportunity to pay better and attract a better quality coach.
Ohio St hasn’t had a 2 win season since 1947. The Miners won 2 games in 3 years. If Ohio St won 2 games in 3 years, their crowds would be “piss poor” too. Especially if they didn’t win bowl games and conference championships for 50 years.

Reactions: homeskillet75
Ohio St hasn’t had a 2 win season since 1947. The Miners won 2 games in 3 years. If Ohio St won 2 games in 3 years, their crowds would be “piss poor” too. Especially if they didn’t win bowl games and conference championships for 50 years.
I don't know why you always like to compare us with some of the best programs in the nation. You're literally comparing us to the second richest school in the country backed by hundreds of millions of dollars.

If UTEP averaged 35-40k we would attract better coaches, better recruits, and maybe we're not winning only 2 games in 3 years.

I don't know why you always like to compare us with some of the best programs in the nation. You're literally comparing us to the second richest school in the country backed by hundreds of millions of dollars.

If UTEP averaged 35-40k we would attract better coaches, better recruits, and maybe we're not winning only 2 games in 3 years.
It doesn’t matter when you’re talking about wins and losses. Again, if OSU didn’t win anything for 50 years and won 2 games in 3 years, they wouldn’t be getting 100,000 for their games.

It’s not an El Paso thing. Nobody supports a consistent loser. Name me 1 school that has worse results than UTEP football has, that gets better attendance. You won’t find one. Mainly because there hasn’t been a school that has had a worse 50 years than UTEP. Maybe NMSU, but their attendance is consistently worse.

It doesn’t matter when you’re talking about wins and losses. Again, if OSU didn’t win anything for 50 years and won 2 games in 3 years, they wouldn’t be getting 100,000 for their games.

It’s not an El Paso thing. Nobody supports a consistent loser. Name me 1 school that has worse results than UTEP football has, that gets better attendance. You won’t find one. Mainly because there hasn’t been a school that has had a worse 50 years than UTEP. Maybe NMSU, but their attendance is consistently worse.
Ohio St donors and fans would never allow that to happen. They donate more money to their program than our entire athletic budget. That's not counting ticket sales. Their ticket sales are more double than our entire athletic budget.

Ohio St donors and fans would never allow that to happen. They donate more money to their program than our entire athletic budget. That's not counting ticket sales. Their ticket sales are more double than our entire athletic budget.
Whatever excuse you want to make. Go find a worse program with better attendance, you won’t! Nobody vehemently supports consistent losing programs.

Whatever excuse you want to make. Go find a worse program with better attendance, you won’t! Nobody vehemently supports consistent losing programs.
Chicken or the egg argument. Programs with strong fan support or wealthy donors don't usually lose or lose for very long.

Please list the years the Miners averaged “35,000 plus”
From 1967 when the sun bowl was expanded and then again in 1982 until 2014 it was sold out 7 times, averaged right around 25,000 and during that 47 year stretch had 30 seasons avg 30,000 or above. This was from a detailed report from a UTEP Professor. Obviously since 2014 this number has dropped significantly, due to the team averaging less than 2 wins per year the last 6 years after 2014 up until this season. So the average is probably closer to 20,000 now and hasn't reached over 30,000 since. So again, El Paso will support a decent team even around .500 and really supports a winner and to another extent even supports a loser better than some other CUSA teams support their winning programs!!!! This year's attendance is not matching up to the success, because it's been so bad the last 6 years! It's yet to see if EP will come around, but if history dictates, it just might!

From 1967 when the sun bowl was expanded and then again in 1982 until 2014 it was sold out 7 times, averaged right around 25,000 and during that 47 year stretch had 30 seasons avg 30,000 or above. This was from a detailed report from a UTEP Professor. Obviously since 2014 this number has dropped significantly, due to the team averaging less than 2 wins per year the last 6 years after 2014 up until this season. So the average is probably closer to 20,000 now and hasn't reached over 30,000 since. So again, El Paso will support a decent team even around .500 and really supports a winner and to another extent even supports a loser better than some other CUSA teams support their winning programs!!!! This year's attendance is not matching up to the success, because it's been so bad the last 6 years! It's yet to see if EP will come around, but if history dictates, it just might!
Do you have any evidence to back that up? 30 seasons average 30k or more? Bull*%#

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
That’s a bad example but there certainly have been games that were close where a loud full stadium could’ve been enough to encourage and fire up the team to pull through. To suggest otherwise is foolish.
I haven’t suggested otherwise. The 2017 was shitty, and they still would have been shitty if 50,000 people were there. Shitty teams have losing records and lose home games. Makes no difference if you win 0 or 2 games. The team was going to suck regardless.

Do you have any evidence to back that up? 30 seasons average 30k or more? Bull*%#
Just have to look in the media guide. They have averaged more than 35k in 1987, 88, 99, 00, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08. So 8 times since 1963. You can find this information on page 59

No need to be a UTEP professor. Even Fili can look at the attendance numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT