ADVERTISEMENT

Why has the defense regressed?

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Utep made so many positive strides last year defensively, now its swiss cheese! I don't understand with what we had returning, how it went from top 50 to the worst in college football?

The secondary is suspect. The thing that stood out the last half of last season is that we got consistent pressure on the QB which helped the secondary. That hasn't been the case this year.

Besides game balls to Metz and Lang obviously, hope Musgrave got one for that open field tackle to force that last punt. Held aggies to 3 in overtime when it counted. (Yes, looking for some positives)

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Erving and Gathrite are severely missed. While they werent lockdown corners they knew the defense and were better tacklers then the youngbloods back there now.

I think it starts with the d line. They arent getting penetration. They arent taking up double teams, they are being dominated by one olineman which allows the oline to getcto the second level on the backers. They dont keep contain. They dont hold their gaps in the run game. The secondary isnt the problem. In this scheme the defense counts on pressure on the qb and keeps the corners on islands. They must get pressure on the qb. I dont care how good the corners are if the qb has all day someone will get open. A corner should only have to cover their man for three seconds. The defenses problems stem from terrible dline play.

Reactions: LaserCoog
I think it starts with the d line. They arent getting penetration. They arent taking up double teams, they are being dominated by one olineman which allows the oline to getcto the second level on the backers. They dont keep contain. They dont hold their gaps in the run game. The secondary isnt the problem. In this scheme the defense counts on pressure on the qb and keeps the corners on islands. They must get pressure on the qb. I dont care how good the corners are if the qb has all day someone will get open. A corner should only have to cover their man for three seconds. The defenses problems stem from terrible dline play.

A lot of the big plays against the defense this year were because of poor tackling especially by the secondary. How many times last year did we see our corners, especially Gathrite, come up and make great open field tackles. While I agree w/ you bout the D-line this year on technique, they were covered up last year because our second and third lvl defenders were better tacklers last year.

If anything I would argue that our D-Line is playing at the same lvl as last year, we just were/are expecting more because of one more year in the system and an offseason for them to get bigger/stronger. We rarely got pressure from the front four, Stoker relies heavily on corner blitzes and safety blitzes and Alvin Jones coming in like a missile.

Last edited:
Last night the MVPS where the defensive line at the end of the game. Their Qb torched us all night long. At the end of the game our D pinned their ears back and put enough pressure to put him on his toes. Their stud running back had a ton of yards on long runs. But we were able to contain him when it was needed. Alvin Jones had 5 tacles for a loss and played his best game as a Miner. He was the player who pressured the Qb for the safety. The secondary is the problem. Inexperience and technique makes them look like they are one step behind. There was flashes of improvement last night. Our receivers stepped it up and Metz played like a stud. I wish we would have opened up the playbook like we did when we had Jones. NMSU was caught off guard when we went airborne on them. It was a sight to see. In my opinion the secondary will improve. Its all about game day repetition. They are learning the hard way and unfortunately their first three games where against excellent Qbs.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
And the D line was supposed to be the strength of the the defense this year, that's what's confusing!?

Yes I said that. Miners have the heart and desire to be the best defense in the country. I have not seen a defense so hungry since the 1972 Sul Ross team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT