ADVERTISEMENT

Why is it taking so long to get a coach.

DAYDEV

Starter
Feb 10, 2004
Everyone and their mama has hired a coach. We have NSD in less than 2 months without a coach to recruit. Class is going to be terrible again.

Everyone and their mama has hired a coach. We have NSD in less than 2 months without a coach to recruit. Class is going to be terrible again.
Reference the other posts about the coaching search, this has already been discussed.

Kappy said on his show today that UTEP won’t be able to get Houston because “he will be going to a bigger school”. His exact quote was “Forget about it”. My question is what big schools are left? I know of Tennessee, Oregon, SMU? Obviously, some bigger schools could still open up later(if Oregon was to hire another big school head coach, then of course that school will now need a coach). But right now, how many big schools still have openings AND are also willing to wait for Houston’s season to end?

Sumlin is still out there and Todd Graham is also available for the big schools as well.

Last edited:
Kappy also said that there's no info out there right now. I think Houston is a very slight possibility, but not likely. You're right, the Big jobs are filling up and Houston is not getting any of them anyway.

Not sure if Mike Yurcich is a candidate. If you see the trend with mid major programs like Rice they are hiring top Coordinators from winning P5 schools. UTEP needs to go after Yurcich before he’s picked up by someone else.

Maybe Tenn. Has him locked up already... Pending his playoff run. I doubt Oregon goes after him. I am hoping for Briles, but it seems more like KC is our guy. Which I don't mind at all.

Not sure if Mike Yurcich is a candidate. If you see the trend with mid major programs like Rice they are hiring top Coordinators from winning P5 schools. UTEP needs to go after Yurcich before he’s picked up by someone else.
Back in early Oct, long before Senter was hired, espn writers were reporting that Yurcich was at the top of the list for UTEP. Have not heard any more about it since.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/report-mike-yurcich-top-list-utep-head-coaching-vacancy/

I'm convinced the coach has already been selected with the announcement pending the completion of the FCS playoffs. I'm beginning to think all of the talk about Houston not being a candidate because of his salary demands is a giant head fake by the athletic department who doesn't want to compromise the coaches identity and playoff run. I think Houston is our man and Keeler is being used as a diversion.

Last edited:

A freaking men

How does Houston go to being a candidate at Ga.Southern, to withdrawing his name when Senter gets hired, to he's to rich for our blood?

Where there is smoke, there is fire--dynamite dynamite, fire in the hole!!!

Reactions: utep-piggy
I like Houston for the job as well as Mike Yurcich. In the case of Yurcich I hope Senter and UTEP can compete with OC salary at OKState. I googled an article that showed $500k. May be outdated buy thats pretty darn good.

Tomorrow is the day.
chris-pratt-is-excited.jpg

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I'm convinced the coach has already been selected with the announcement pending the completion of the FCS playoffs. I'm beginning to think all of the talk about Houston not being a candidate because of his salary demands is a giant head fake by the athletic department who doesn't want to compromise the coaches identity and playoff run. I think Houston is our man and Keeler is being used as a diversion.
I see what you did there! Make us think Houston is demanding too much money and then introduce him as our new coach in the same long breath. Puts all the pressure on the coach. Smart theory.

If he is the coach then I really hope he can or he knows some people that can recruit Texas (as well as wherever else). After the debate on here I asked a few people with experience and they all said 100% UTEP needs to be able to recruit Texas.

These are my top three pics and in this order: Yurcich, Houston, and Keeler. As discussed before all three Coaches run exciting offenses and their teams can score points. Yurcich is considered a great recruiter, develops talent and has strong ties in Texas and OK.
Houston is the best head coach in FCS and his team is undefeated and in the playoffs. He’s been successful everywhere he’s coached and worked for Senter. Houston does not have Texas ties and will have to hire coaches with strong recruiting ties in TX. Keeler is the oldest in the group and has been very successful at SHSU. His team is also in the playoffs and gets great talent. Keeler has great Texas ties and will most likely make UTEP his last stop. I don’t think we can go wrong with any of these three guys. I hope Senter offers one of these guys and hope UTEP pays a good salary to our new HC and his assistants. As you all know both Price and Kugler had big programs poach some of our best assistants. If UTEP is really serious about their athletic programs they will have to pony up. Winning football and men’s basketball will generate excitement and big $$$ for UTEP.

I have heard the following are in the running. Question is, who wants the job? Candidates include:

Okla St off coord Mike Yurcich; Tennessee qb coach Mike Canales; Texas Tech o.c. Eric Morris; North Texas o c ( and former Texas Tech QB ) Graham Harrell. Now let’s see if any of those make the cut.

I have heard the following are in the running. Question is, who wants the job? Candidates include:

Okla St off coord Mike Yurcich; Tennessee qb coach Mike Canales; Texas Tech o.c. Eric Morris; North Texas o c ( and former Texas Tech QB ) Graham Harrell. Now let’s see if any of those make the cut.
Canales was in the running at SHSU when Keeler was hired.

Reactions: El Paso 777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT