ADVERTISEMENT

Why so long to...

shyminer81

MI Hall of Famer
May 22, 2006
Vancouver Washington
Hire the new AD? This athletic Dept. is a disaster... Needs some life. How in the hell can anyone be excited about this football program? I see Parks was doing Stull's role of passing out footballs.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
It's UTEP. Tomorrow is never soon enough. It can wait. Enjoy your awful football team, dumb basketball coach and awful game experiences. You're welcome!

You forgot to add women's soccer 8- 11 (4-6), did not make the conference tournament and women's volleyball 4- 19 (1-9), dead last.

If we get a continuity hire for AD, we are ****ing ****ed. I fear the worst for some
reason.

I had a utep big booster tell me between Chris parks or Lisa Campos.

I hope whoever is hired turns out to be damn good. Lisa or Chris or someone else. The first big job they will have is hiring a new head football coach. That hire will tell us a lot. Will the new AD be able to get Dr. Natalicio to boost the HC salary in order to bring in a good coach? Will the new coach have enough money available to hire good assistants? It has to happen soon and I'm looking forward to the whole process. If we end up with another Kugler type hire at the low end of the pay scale and no experience even as a coordinator somewhere, then I will just have to accept the fact that UTEP will not even try to have a solid FB program. It's all out of my control so I've decided to have fun speculating, etc., but I'm not going to worry about it.

I don’t know a lot about volleyball, but went to a few games and can tell you the coaching sucks.
The new AD has a lot of work to do.

Awesome, we are getting another Bob Stull as AD. The mens BB coach Lisa Campos hired at NAU is 63-101 in 5 seasons and he will be back for season 6. If it is Lisa, she will keep UTEP's "pressure free zone for head coaches" image alive and well for the next 10+ years.

Reactions: ShovelMan66

Just curious, given the current, indisputable, rock-bottom status of UTEP athletics, can anybody make a seriously compelling case for either of these candidates? As in building/rebuilding an athletic program from the ground up, hiring/firing successful/unsuccessful coaches in revenue sports, instilling an attitude of excellence and high expectations throughout an athletic program, administration, and fan base? Anybody?

Reactions: develman
I think the attitude that permeates around UTEP Athletics from the big time boosters to the staff is that its unreasonable to expect winning. All they want from anyone they hire is to keep the lights on and not be Jason Rabbedeux.

They always want someone from here, because they assume anyone not already "used to this", will run away in horror of the border and its people. It's funny that they run UTEP Athletics because they clearly have such a low opinion of the town and university in general.

In my opinion, UTEP will be horrible for the foreseeable future; not because of its demographics, or geography, or conference affiliation, but because of the "bigotry of low expectations" that the Stull Regime has allowed to run rampant for at least the last decade.

The only way UTEP will ever be decent is if a Paul Foster or T. Boones Pickens type takes a interest in UTEP Athletics and becomes the dominant voice in the program.

Just curious, given the current, indisputable, rock-bottom status of UTEP athletics, can anybody make a seriously compelling case for either of these candidates? As in building/rebuilding an athletic program from the ground up, hiring/firing successful/unsuccessful coaches in revenue sports, instilling an attitude of excellence and high expectations throughout an athletic program, administration, and fan base? Anybody?

NAU is in the Top 25 in FCS. Yes, their basketball coach has a losing record, but he did make the CIT finals a few years ago. That is an accomplishment for them. They've made 2 NCAAs and 3 NITs in their history. If that coach has another poor year, I would expect him to be canned after this year. No matter how poorly he has performed, he still beat Tim Floyd last year.

If Campos is the one, I too would be disappointed, but if you're comparing her tenure at NAU to here at UTEP. That is part of the problem. UTEP athletics is superior to NAU in every way.

NAU is in the Top 25 in FCS. Yes, their basketball coach has a losing record, but he did make the CIT finals a few years ago. That is an accomplishment for them. They've made 2 NCAAs and 3 NITs in their history. If that coach has another poor year, I would expect him to be canned after this year. No matter how poorly he has performed, he still beat Tim Floyd last year.

If Campos is the one, I too would be disappointed, but if you're comparing her tenure at NAU to here at UTEP. That is part of the problem. UTEP athletics is superior to NAU in every way.

Not comparing anybody to anybody. Re-read my post, just trying to ask the questions that SHOULD be asked about ALL candidates who you think merit consideration. UTEP CANNOT muck this one up. Not to be melodramatic, but this is arguably one of the most important hires in the history of UTEP athletics.

P.S. If your comparative yardstick is Northern Arizona, you might as well ditch athletics...

Not comparing anybody to anybody. Re-read my post, just trying to ask the questions that SHOULD be asked about ALL candidates who you think merit consideration. UTEP CANNOT muck this one up. Not to be melodramatic, but this is arguably one of the most important hires in the history of UTEP athletics.

P.S. If your comparative yardstick is Northern Arizona, you might as well ditch athletics...

Specifically you weren't, but earlier in the thread NAUs bball record was mentioned. I agree this is their most important hire in the history. Interest is at an all-time low and so is attendance.

We should not be comparing anyone to their work at an FCS school, especially for a traditionally awful basketball program.

I think the attitude that permeates around UTEP Athletics from the big time boosters to the staff is that its unreasonable to expect winning. All they want from anyone they hire is to keep the lights on and not be Jason Rabbedeux.

They always want someone from here, because they assume anyone not already "used to this", will run away in horror of the border and its people. It's funny that they run UTEP Athletics because they clearly have such a low opinion of the town and university in general.

In my opinion, UTEP will be horrible for the foreseeable future; not because of its demographics, or geography, or conference affiliation, but because of the "bigotry of low expectations" that the Stull Regime has allowed to run rampant for at least the last decade.

The only way UTEP will ever be decent is if a Paul Foster or T. Boones Pickens type takes a interest in UTEP Athletics and becomes the dominant voice in the program.
Foster could help bring UTEP up, but like you said, the attitude that permeates UTEP athletics would need a 180 and it would take some time. I hope Foster takes interest when he realizes the dire need for UTEP to win and move forward as a university. It can be done with the right people, politics and the right money.

Also I know some of you don't agree but UTEP should add a new athletic fee (without a vote) to tuition and use it for coaches salaries IMO. For every $100/semester in the fund that's approx 5 million/yr in salaries that can be used. These are desperate times at UTEP and the students need to be involved too. Seeing a return on your money makes you involved!

Reactions: Rot and unihorn
Personally, I don’t think students should pay 800.00 plus over their college time to help offset this sh*t show that is athletics. The tuition has risen drastically at the university over the last 10-15 years and I can’t imagine incurring any more debt as a student because people want a successful athletic program. To me that’s the responsibility of the fans/community/alumni. If they didn’t pass that fee on a vote, I doubt there is any way to pass it on to students with out it.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
No surprise.

Word has to come soon to hire coach because there's going to be a P5 college dump here within the next few weeks and top FBS, FCS assistants and top FCS head coaches have been waiting for a year like this when so many FBS colleges buy out and gear up for changes in leadership and course. There has been a somewhat long log jam so to speak. UTEP has to move fast otherwise they'll be S.O.L..

Personally, I don’t think students should pay 800.00 plus over their college time to help offset this sh*t show that is athletics. The tuition has risen drastically at the university over the last 10-15 years and I can’t imagine incurring any more debt as a student because people want a successful athletic program. To me that’s the responsibility of the fans/community/alumni. If they didn’t pass that fee on a vote, I doubt there is any way to pass it on to students with out it.

Every other school charges an athletics fee. UTEP is a relative bargain. It’s a good idea.

Every other school charges an athletics fee. UTEP is a relative bargain. It’s a good idea.

To each his own. But this really does bring up the bigger issue as to why students should be saddled with debt to help subsidize athletic programs that are losing money. And to top it all off athletes want to be paid. But that’s a discussion for another thread.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
To each his own. But this really does bring up the bigger issue as to why students should be saddled with debt to help subsidize athletic programs that are losing money. And to top it all off athletes want to be paid. But that’s a discussion for another thread.

$100 a semester isn't going to really make a difference.

Only about %15 of D1 athletic programs profit on athletics. Despite this, athletics thrive all over the country because it is a huge part of the university culture and the american culture. A lot of people love sports. The return for the money spent is the preperation, the experience, the comradery, the emotions, the hope, the celebrations, the talking points, etc...

Institutional funding for athletics has to rise with tuition/inflation. Its just part of being at the University. It not intended to be a burden on students, it's part of the experience. Its an investment for the returns as stated above.

UTEP needs a jolt and its gonna cost money. You have to spend money to make money. UTEP has to spend money to win. Everybody gets a better return on their investment and the ball gets rolling.

Whoever is hired as the new AD needs ambition and some good experience. Whether that experience comes as the AD at an FCS school or as an Associate AD at an FBS school, does not matter. What did they accomplish to improve the athletic departments they have been working in. Campos, Park or someone else, may have done some excellent work, I don't pretend to know but why should they be dissed at this point?

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
What did they accomplish to improve the athletic departments they have been working in. Campos, Park or someone else, may have done some excellent work, I don't pretend to know but why should they be dissed at this point?

I think some people are dissing them is because some of us want new blood,.

I dont care if its Peter Pan as long as he/she can raise money, make good hires, hold coaches accountable and to high standards, update facilities, promote, provide a rockin in-game experience and get us bowl/NCAA wins. I don't want too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT