ADVERTISEMENT

Why won't UTEP recruit North Texas

DAYDEV

Starter
Feb 10, 2004
There are some good quality kids right here in Mesquite alone that would be better commits than what we have got in the past. They came and looked at RB from Mesquite High that is one of the best in NT but didn't offer. There are so many defensive players that would fit in with UTEP but for some reason he choses not to recruit this area. I look at the list of recruits we have and most have just the UTEP offer. I wish he would get UTEP back in this area. Offering kids because you know they will come here isn't the recruiting plan he should go for.

I would be open to any recruiting areas, especially in Texas. While I agree that this current class looks a little light at the moment, in regards to the Mesquite/North Texas area, we just signed a kid last season from Mesquite Poteet High School and another kid from Cedar Hill. We have also signed 2 players from Kennedale in each of the past 2 Recruiting Classes. That is 4 players from the last 2 recruiting classes that have come from that area, so I would not say that we are completely ignoring that area.

Edit: I forgot about Allen High School, which is north of Dallas, where we have now gotten 2 more kids. So we have gotten 6 players from that area in the past 3 recruiting classes.

Last edited:
I thought ever since joining c-USA Utep would recruit southeastern states or Florida. But I don't think Utep has ever got a player from the south. Utep keeps recruiting California , Arizona , New Mexico and Texas.

Houston and Dallas should be the areas UTEP should be hitting hard. These two areas produce the best talent in the state. This is where you'll find your best defensive big men. I understand we may not get all these kids, but we should go after those athletes flying under the radar.

Houston and Dallas should be the areas UTEP should be hitting hard. These two areas produce the best talent in the state. This is where you'll find your best defensive big men. I understand we may not get all these kids, but we should go after those athletes flying under the radar.

Houston and East Texas, too.

Why don't we recruit Midland/Odessa? A lot of talent in the area and only a 4hr drive to El Paso.

I thought ever since joining c-USA Utep would recruit southeastern states or Florida. But I don't think Utep has ever got a player from the south. Utep keeps recruiting California , Arizona , New Mexico and Texas.
UTEP has been recruiting JUCO's in the south, Mississippi to be exact FWIW.

Tom Mason has sort of tapped into the DFW, UTEP isn't getting the highest rated one's from there but they have a small presence imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT