ADVERTISEMENT

WKU @ UTEP

I was so excited at one point about this season. I will be so happy to see it end.
They NEED to make the CUSA tournament. These players NEED to play in an elimination tournament, to get that experience.

They didn't get it last year.

This team is very consistent in finding ways to lose.
You should try being a Northwestern fan and a UTEP fan AT THE SAME TIME for DOUBLE the disappointment! According to the real-time ESPN Win Probability analytics, Northwestern at one point had:
  • 95.3% chance to beat Rutgers
  • 92.8% chance to beat Purdue
  • 87.4% chance to beat Maryland
  • 84.1% chance to beat Indiana
They lost all of them. These percentages are all from the 2nd half, not early in the game.

They also lost to MSU by 5, @ DePaul by 5, and @ Illinois by 4. One heartbreaker after another, JUST LIKE UTEP. So I get to experience four of these a week, JOY.

And I'm a Cowboys fan, and we saw what happened this season.

Am I cursed?

Good part: Kudos to Terry for sitting both Vila and Archie! I liked the minutes from Tydus and Stroud. There is a lot of potential there. Boum had a tough night at the line, but otherwise played great. Lathon seems to be coming back to earth and Tarke had a few nice plays. We were bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic than WKU.

Bad part: At least 20 wasted possessions on shooting 3's. We missed a few wide open 3s so I wont count those.

62% from 2 and 15% from 3. Yet almost half our shots are from 3?

No adjustment planned by Terry. He said after the game that "we will just have to wait until next year when we have shooters". He keeps blaming our defense. Its sad to just watch him waste the year away on stubbornness while we continue to lose close games. He just refuses to adjust to our poor shooting and the players refuse to take it upon themselves to stop shooting them so much.

WKU was more savvy and had better shooters. I guess our coach wants us to keep being the worst 3-point shooting team in the world.

Last edited:
What I found interesting about last night is that the announcer tried 3 or 4 times to get the crowd loud and nobody would get up and cheer. It's almost as if UTEP fans weren't cheering because we knew what was inevitably coming.

I keep mentioning Efe. He played 6 minutes last night. None of you have shared my concern. Are there any ideas out there to explain Terry's decision not to play him? I haven't seen any shortcomings, so I can only suspect that there's discord. Maybe Efe has hinted that he wants out. Whatever the reason, it's a damn shame. Can anyone name one player that was a bigger asset last year?

Reactions: picks up
I keep mentioning Efe. He played 6 minutes last night. None of you have shared my concern. Are there any ideas out there to explain Terry's decision not to play him? I haven't seen any shortcomings, so I can only suspect that there's discord. Maybe Efe has hinted that he wants out. Whatever the reason, it's a damn shame. Can anyone name one player that was a bigger asset last year?
Efe had two quick turnovers and then Terry decided to put him in the doghouse.

I can understand benching him for a bit to get his head right, but not for the whole game. We could have used him.

Efe's offense is good although it seems every time he gets the ball he wants to shoot. It's his defense that is horrible, everybody else has to cover his man when they blow by him and they end up get the foul, that is why Terry benches him alot. It happen early in the game last night and Efe knows it, his facial expressions are telling. I want Efe to get more minutes, he does make a difference on offense.

I’ll add that for his size, Efe is not a good rebounder. I wouldn’t attribute it to lack of skill or ability, but rather lack of “want” to anticipate where the ball might end up and actually move his azz to the spot and snag the board. He’s like a damn statue under the bucket sometimes.

I’ll add that for his size, Efe is not a good rebounder. I wouldn’t attribute it to lack of skill or ability, but rather lack of “want” to anticipate where the ball might end up and actually move his azz to the spot and snag the board. He’s like a damn statue under the bucket sometimes.
Could have fooled me, with all his double-doubles last season.

Agree. I think we can all agree that Efe is a below average athlete at this level. Against most teams, he is a major defensive liability, especially in Terry's man to man switching scheme. The pouting and laziness only add to the problems. Against WKU, because of their smaller lineup, he was even more of a bad matchup. His numbers last year were mostly due to a complete lack of interior options. Right now, he is a guy who will score 6 points and grab 4 rebounds, but he will give up 10 and 8. And yet, this is still better than Vila. The team needs improvement in multiple areas, and their record reflects exactly that.

Efe was 1st off the bench for Tarke, but it was quickly evident that Tydus was the better option last night. Tydus had one of his best games I would say. We saw flashes of offensive rebounding, nice finishing and a huge block off of weak side help.

I've shared your concern. Feels like I'm efe's biggest fan, yet he never gets playing time. It's crazy. I have little faith he'll be here next year. He's shown his talent countless times, yet rides the bench like some afterthought.

We'd probably score a little more, and stop jacking up so many three's if we actually utilized our second best offensive player. Instead, we throw up terrible 3pt shots, especially when Bryson is on the bench, because our backups suck offensively.

Oh well. I'm sure Terry won't have to worry about that once Efe transfers. Then, he'll have an excuse to give his favorite player more minutes (vila), and we'll continue to suck as usual....

Reactions: miner1liner
I wouldn’t fault anyone leaving. Everyone was saying we’re deep, but every coach usually has a set 8 man rotation of who they trust. Blame the game today with the abundance of threes, everyone thinks they’re Steph. We didn’t recruit need, we recruit the highest rated young man we can get...even though that led to over recruiting guards and wings. All the hype we saw from the instagram posts of how tight this team was, was a bunch of fake hustle. Jealousy led to bad chemistry and we’re just not good. Scratch this year, we’re done. Terry has next year to improve or he should get the boot imho.

I don't think it was fake hustle shown early. UTEP did start off strong. I agree with previous post that jealousy created bad chemistry and it obviously popped over the Hawaii Tourney.

Didn’t go to the TT game, but could tell from the d-2 schools we were going to be in trouble. Hoping we were just playing down to the competition, or experimenting with different lineups.
Can’t believe what I saw was the product we were going to see all year

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT