ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming

The Miners shot right at their season average for 3s, but held Wyoming to over 20% lower than their season average. Defense was on point much of the night.

Officiating sucked tonight…however, free throws were very equal with them taking 32 and we took 35…quite a few of those 35 coming in the last few minutes as desperation fouls.

I remember sitting in packed stands watching the Miners beat the likes of Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, Auburn, Boston College, and Maryland in the Sun Bowl Basketball Tournament during my time at UTEP. We were a great team and this was a great tournament. Now the stands are practically empty, the few fans there watching a crappy Miner team play on a crappy tournament. It's sad.
You beat me to the punch. I was going to post the exact same thing. Sad days at UTEP.

You beat me to the punch. I was going to post the exact same thing. Sad days at UTEP.

It’s just sad in General for College Basketball and College Athletics. They’ve created a caste system that intentionally is in place to squash lower level programs.

Until we can define the purpose of Bowl Games and Non-Exempt Tournaments, they will continue to be looked down upon by the P5 programs.

I think if they got some kind of TV deal they would get better teams.

The problem is that the NCAA and the networks created MTE’s and exempt tournaments with Television rights.

With these types of tournaments, a team can play a few games and it only counts as a single game on the schedule.

Whereas the Sun Bowl invitational is non exempt, and every game counts equally.

Before MTE’s pretty much every bowl game had a tournament on the side.

There was a legendary Basketball Tournament called the Great Alaska Shootout.

Schools valued winning a holiday tournament and were treated to a bowl like experience, so they wanted to be in them.

Now they value the fact they can play top tier opposition at neutral sites and it allows them to play more games.

The problem is that the NCAA and the networks created MTE’s and exempt tournaments with Television rights.

With these types of tournaments, a team can play a few games and it only counts as a single game on the schedule.

Whereas the Sun Bowl invitational is non exempt, and every game counts equally.

Before MTE’s pretty much every bowl game had a tournament on the side.

There was a legendary Basketball Tournament called the Great Alaska Shootout.

Schools valued winning a holiday tournament and were treated to a bowl like experience, so they wanted to be in them.

Now they value the fact they can play top tier opposition at neutral sites and it allows them to play more games.
And if I remember correctly, if the Sun Carnival wanted to change their non exempt status UTEP would not be able to play in the tournament yearly

Reactions: picks up
And if I remember correctly, if the Sun Carnival wanted to change their non exempt status UTEP would not be able to play in the tournament yearly
UTEP could play in it but only once every four years. Maybe it’s time for the tournament to modernize and search for its past glory.

UTEP could play in it but only once every four years. Maybe it’s time for the tournament to modernize and search for its past glory.

Either that or just give it up. I would rather UTEP play some money games on the road.

Either that or just give it up. I would rather UTEP play some money games on the road.
They could do both. The tournament does its own thing and tries to bring in Big East and other P5 teams. UTEP can stop wasting their time with d3 teams and test themselves at an SEC or Big 10 school. Hopefully one day it all aligns. UTEP is good and is part of a good Sun Bowl Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT