ADVERTISEMENT

You think Mack Brown is possible ?

but he hasnt got any offers. Like the poster above said he is passed his prime. No big program is going to want him.

He hasn't got any offers because he hasn't applied for any jobs. I promise you he will get a much better offer from another school if he chose to coach again. Mack makes a lot more at ESPN than he would at UTEP and he doesn't have to coach.

I think Mack Brown would probably be the same as Mike Price, probably have a couple of good seasons then fizzle out.

$
$
He hasn't got any offers because he hasn't applied for any jobs. I promise you he will get a much better offer from another school if he chose to coach again. Mack makes a lot more at ESPN than he would at UTEP and he doesn't have to coach.

you dont have to apply to get offers. UTEP would just have pay to get him.

Mack Brown would laugh if offered. If he wanted to coach again he would be coaching this year. He has a sweet gig with ESPN and I doubt he wants to leave.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I don't think any of those coaches would do better than Mack Brown.

Mark Mangino would be an awful hire because of all the trouble he has been in. He was 50-48 at Kansas.

Mack Brown would be like Price was here or Coker at UTSA. He didnt leave the whorns in good shape. Time for a young high energy guy with recruiting ties in Texas.

Mangino didnt get in ncaa trouble. He was removed for being to harsh to his players. He went 12-1 and won the orange bowl there. Kansas is not an easy job just look at the record of the three coaches who have followed Mangino at Kansas.

Mack Brown would be like Price was here or Coker at UTSA. He didnt leave the whorns in good shape. Time for a young high energy guy with recruiting ties in Texas.

Mangino didnt get in ncaa trouble. He was removed for being to harsh to his players. He went 12-1 and won the orange bowl there. Kansas is not an easy job just look at the record of the three coaches who have followed Mangino at Kansas.

"In 2005, the university self-reported to the NCAA that five major rules violations—including academic fraud—had been committed by some of the football team's student-athletes. In 2006, these major violations, along with four others that has allegedly occurred in other KU sports programs, contributed to the NCAA charging the athletics department displaying a "lack of institutional control". A graduate assistant was found to have supplied answers for some of the correspondence courses taken by some prospective recruits from junior colleges. As a result, the football program's ability to recruit players transferring in from junior college was reduced for two years; and, the program lost two scholarships for each of the 2007 and 2008 seasons."

And pay him with what? First of all, you would have to buy out Kugler's contract. Secondly, he gets paid the second lowest in CUSA. Mack Brown made Kugler's salary after the first week of the season when he was at Texas.
Lastly, why would he want to come to UTEP? What does UTEP offer him? He lives in Austin. What would attract him here? UTEP will have enoiugh trouble attracting anybody that was listed in this thread. UNLV has had success with Sanchez who was one of the best high school coaches out there. Maybe UTEP should go that direction and hire a great high school coach. Or, an assistant coach that would jump at the job, because I don't think they are going to have many beating their doors down to take this position.

Actually Brown can recruit but he's a terrible coach. His plays are very predictable and struggles with teams that have equal talent. If you follow his success it was when he had top 5 recruiting classes, but once his classes levelled out to the rest of the conference he fell on hard times.

We need a new AD who will restructure the athletic department. Its insane to spend as much money as we do on basketball which is irrelevant to the future of UTEP athletics. We need new leadership at the top.

Mack Brown was begged by SMU but didnt want the job. He has been asked to be UT AD but doesn't want the job. I like Mack as a person more than any coach I have met but MACK CANT COACH AND IS A TERRIBLE RECRUITER. Thats why UT is in the position they are in now. Mack recruited straight from the Rivals 100 list without any on hands recruiting.

Damn this sucks. This really, really sucks. But UTEP will survive. They have to much experience for dismal seasons.
Actually Brown can recruit but he's a terrible coach. His plays are very predictable and struggles with teams that have equal talent. If you follow his success it was when he had top 5 recruiting classes, but once his classes levelled out to the rest of the conference he fell on hard times.

One, Brown coming to UTEP is like asking one of the former living presidents to be mayor of El Paso.

Second, like a college degree, you can't take away a National Championship. Briles doesn't have one (but he acts like does), Boone Pickens is trying to buy one for Okie State, and TCU doesn't have one and can't win those important games to get to a national championship.

So what was your point again?

If anyone thinks there's a snowball's chance in hell of Brown coming to UTEP I have some beach front property in Arizona to sell you...

there is beach front homes in Arizona. Well they aint beach front more like lake front homes. But close enough and you never know thay Big quake could hit Cali and make Arizona the new west coast.

Mack has it made in the shade at ESPN, hell I think the dude commentates well.
However we need a magician for a recruiter.
Mack passed on Johnny Football (recruited him as a DB), RG3, and never gave Jameis a shot.

True, but im talking specifically about Mack's final years. In his situation he chose Gilbert / Suckier McCoy / and Ash OVER Heisman winners.
No relevance though cause dude ain't coming EPT.

Damn this sucks. This really, really sucks. But UTEP will survive. They have to much experience for dismal seasons.

One, Brown coming to UTEP is like asking one of the former living presidents to be mayor of El Paso.

Second, like a college degree, you can't take away a National Championship. Briles doesn't have one (but he acts like does), Boone Pickens is trying to buy one for Okie State, and TCU doesn't have one and can't win those important games to get to a national championship.

So what was your point again?

I agree he will never come here. I was just pointing out to the OP that if god talked to Mack in a dream and told him to come to UTEP, he still wouldn't be successful. Yes Mack has a National Title, again with one of the best recruiting classes in the nation, not from his coaching. In fact, if you watch the 2005 Rose Bowl, it wasn't until Vince Young refused to hand off the ball that Texas came back and won that game. I live in Austin and any non-fair weather Texas fan here will tell you the same thing.

Mack runs his team like a CEO and it's the coordinators that make the calls. I have nothing against Mack, I'm sure he's a nice man. He just wouldn't be a good choice to rebuild a program that needs to be gutted.

Mack had one losing season in 16 years at Texas and won bowl games in ten of those seasons.

Precisely. Once recruiting in the Big 12 leveled out. And it wasn't just Texas and Oklahoma with Top 5 recruiting classes and everyone else in the conference have a 20 and below ranked class, he struggled. Mack isn't a Harbaugh, or a Meyer in the sense he is the man that has his hands on everything. Mack get's his top recruits and then hands them off to the coordinators. Mack is very hands off when it comes to the actual coaching of the team. Rod Babers, who played for Mack hosts a local radio show here in Austin with Craig Way. He said the same thing this week. He called it coach by committee.

If by a miracle he came to UTEP, Mack would struggle just as much as Price did. And I don't wish that on any coach.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Since we're passing around names little Skittles, how about Randy Edsell who just got fired from Maryland (cue up the sarcastic music), or maybe Kyle Shanahan from the Falcons. Or grab Art Briles kid. Or one of TCU's co offensive coordinators.

In the end if Kugler steps down (which I don't think he will) UTEP needs a young coach with enough energy and moxie to bring in talent or coach up what we have (i.e. A new scheme).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT