ADVERTISEMENT

Scotty Walden new UTEP FB Coach

Simple Question/Response to whats been talked about above... I know "I'm the new guy" and I've not witnessed all the dissapointment. Great points have been made about commits etc. -- YES - WE HAVE NOT PLAYED A DOWN OF FOOTBALL YET BUT.... Does it seem different in 3/4 weeks than it has in the past or more of the same? if DIFFERENT is the answer than that sounds positive to me.
Yes, it does seem different. In a good way. I can only hope that there is a positive outcome from the difference. You must be well aware by now, that we Miner fans are not especially optimistic about much concerning UTEP athletics. With good reason.

In response to your last line, I will say, Coach Golding "seemed different". It hasn't amounted to much so far. We are just hesitant. From what I can tell so far, Walden and staff are hustling, working hard. I'll take that for now. I hope your prediction that we will see a change for the better turns out to be right.

Last edited:
Simple Question/Response to whats been talked about above... I know "I'm the new guy" and I've not witnessed all the dissapointment. Great points have been made about commits etc. -- YES - WE HAVE NOT PLAYED A DOWN OF FOOTBALL YET BUT.... Does it seem different in 3/4 weeks than it has in the past or more of the same? if DIFFERENT is the answer than that sounds positive to me.
Yea it does seem different, but I don’t think we’ve had an energetic football coach in a while. Dimel’s initial press conferences were more of a “we’re building from the ground up” and Kugler was Kugler. Price brought some excitement, but that was almost 20 years ago.

I think after Golding’s energetic start we are all a little jaded about excitement with no backing. I know the back story on Collins and why he’s here, but very few UTEP coaches would have even gone after someone like that. It does feel great to fight for recruits and offer a seemingly higher caliber of player.

That said, really can’t do anything besides supporting the lads (and women) and gripe on internet message boards.

I remember when we used to have fast turnarounds. Nord bowl game year 1, Price the same, Kugler by year 2. Maintaining the success has always been our problem. That’s difference I want to see.

Reactions: picks up and EPUTEP
. I know the back story on Collins and why he’s here, but very few UTEP coaches would have even gone after someone like that.
This is very concerning considering one or two bad apples can cripple a program like we witnessed at NMSU.

Reactions: EPUTEP
Debbie, relax and don't be such a downer... lol jk... Do we really think, recruits are going to line up to play at UTEP? No! Not yet, at least... Scotty is doing his thang, let him work, sure judge all you want... Hopefully, you'll eat some crow.

I'm not judging him. He's doing all the things that he needs to do. I have zero expectations and don't have any predictions. All I care about is success on the field and will be happy if he gets us a bowl victory.

He played a few snaps against Southern Miss which is about how much you would expect a true freshman to play on a stacked senior heavy defense like FSU’s. Sure he isn’t good enough for FSU, but at the very minimum we get a depth piece with potential

Thank you. It's "potential", just like any recruit. That's my point. Some of you on here think just because FSU recruited him he will be a star.

I am a bigger fan of UTEP football and I get being unsure about this season. Once fall hits I’m sure, like every year guys will call for 8+ wins and a bowl win but I think that’s unreasonable for year 1. But with that being said I think we can agree that on paper, Walden has taken positive steps to bring this program into the 21s century. Now whether that translates to wins is another thing.

We are all big fans on here. We all want UTEP to win. I'm just not going to drink the kool-aid anymore.

Reactions: shyminer81
There is the same number of "staff" at every FBS school. because they tweet about them all (because they are all new) makes it appear as there is more. Every team has Quality Control guys and the ancillary staff guys -- this isnt unique in any way.

Yes, it is unique. Not every school has the same amount of coaches/staff.

No mention of him being a future star or stud in post 221. Try again.

I was paraphrasing. Remember the posts during spring football where people stated how great UTEP was going to be, etc. The same thing is going to happen this year. Let's just hope that translates to success on the field.

No mention of him being a future star or stud in post 221. Try again.

I did a search of a thread from 5 years ago. It's funny to read because that team went 1-11.

"Also the JUCO QB transfer from NMMI could be a future stud, I am his biggest fan, the kid is a true gem and I applaud Dimel and Canales for finding him"

"This outflow of positivity is good and productive"

"I walked away feeling very encouraged with Brandon Jones"

"very pro-style approach today probably by design which is cool"

"Again Jones looked solid in every drill, very polished, sharp reads, sharp decision making"

I was paraphrasing. Remember the posts during spring football where people stated how great UTEP was going to be, etc. The same thing is going to happen this year. Let's just hope that translates to success on the field.
So no one has said anything you’re claiming yet about the FSU transfer? Got it.

Gotcha. Old posts from years ago but nothing about the fsu transfer. Yeah, keep reaching.

LOL I wasn't just talking about one player. It's the same thing every year. This guy transferred from here, this guy is a "stud", etc.

Like I said, you can drink the kool-aid. I'm not going to this time.

I'm going to enjoy reading about the recruits and will be cheering them in the comfort of my couch on August 31 and will be cheering them on in the Sun Bowl on September 7 and at every home game and @NMSU (win or lose).

How is it "smart"? Colorado went 4-8 using those methods.
Smart in a sense that Walden is using every avenue to get the best out of his squad. He's juking the system to take advantage of it and only time will tell if having more "coaches" will be a benefit. IMHO Deion went 4-8 cause I don't think he is a very good coach...motivator?...yes.

Reactions: EPUTEP
I don’t drink kool aid. I’m very critical of UTEP. Walden is picking up kids other FBS schools want. Imo that’s something we haven’t seen much of this past decade. Does this guarantee us a bowl win. Of course not. It’s a step towards that direction.

Welcome and yes with all that Walden is doing--it has been a change of pace but with all due respect you haven't suffered thru the pop-warner bullsh!t that us lifers have. There is a running joke that UTEP is cursed cause it was built on an old Native American burial ground. At this point doubt is warranted with all the crap we've seen for decades.

Every time I think i'm out, they pull me back in.

Smart in a sense that Walden is using every avenue to get the best out of his squad. He's juking the system to take advantage of it and only time will tell if having more "coaches" will be a benefit. IMHO Deion went 4-8 cause I don't think he is a very good coach...motivator?...yes.

I totally get what you're saying, but I don't think having more people on staff is necessarily better. But yes, only time will tell. This could turn out perfect or it could be a complete disaster.

I 100% agree about Deion.

In my opinion, Colorado went 4-8 because they have been cellar dwellers for years now. The Pac has/had some quality teams making it a tough league to win in. That and DS chose to turn over damn near a whole squad. I think the talent will continue to improve over the next few years and CU as a program will gradually improve along with it. I think Sanders is better than decent as a manager, and as he finds the "right" pieces to the puzzle (staff wise), CU will definitely be competitive in the Big12.

Teams are limited on the amount of Coaches they can have. I think it’s 11. I didn’t know this until Dimel was suspended for like a week. UTEP football had too many coaches giving instructions. Our Softball coach was also given violations.

All these extra positions aren’t coaches. Just support.
If we hired Vittatoe as an assistant to the HC…yeah he can’t run a drill or directly coach a player, but he can watch and give input to any of the actual coaches and/or the head ball coach. That’s what Deion is doing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT