ADVERTISEMENT

A day later and I'm still upset...

Ronstr300

MI Hall of Famer
Jan 13, 2004
I can't believe we lost to that team. Then again, watching this team all year, I guess I can believe it. With as many guys I have seen on our team that can score, how is it that we can go 6 minutes in each half without a point?
So many questions I don't have answers for, and now never will....

Like....

Why did Cooper continually stop our offense when we were running? Why did Cooper disappear again yesterday?
Why did Washburn stop playing the way he did to start the game? He looked like he wanted to take control, but then...poof...
Why didn't Morris play aggressively like he has in the past and take over the scoring? Where was he all day? Certain plays he would be outstanding, then I didn't see him again forever.
Omega is a little fireball, but why doesn't he drive more?
Wilms makes so many stupid fouls and always has the "WTF did I do look" . Why hasn't this kid developed a "move" yet?
Hunter has talent, but he gets frustrated and does too much stupid crap to hurt us. Why isn't he ever pulled from the game and chewed out for that? Maybe he could learn? NBA ready my BIG butt!

The way the kids played yesterday, they don't "deserve" any post season. I'm sorry, but being here 4 years doesn't "earn the right" to play an extra game. Playing good basketball and WINNING GAMES earns the right. The team did neither yesterday. I know these 3 guys are good kids. I think 2 will play overseas. But they shouldn't play in ANY postseason.

I've been on the "fire Floyd" train the past couple weeks. Honestly, I still think he needs to go. Under his direction, we just aren't where we should/need to be. I understand a LOT of the reasons. Barbee leaving us with zero recruits and a team full of seniors screwed him the first year. Trying to fill that many spots with good kids has got to be rough. Then if some fall off, you are behind again. I think he has to take chances on some great players that have qualifying issues hoping to hit homeruns on occasion. When one or 2 make it, your team turns the corner and then you have a better chance at better easier recruits. Unfortunately, we haven't had the homeruns. Losing Hamilton really did hurt. I get that. But getting 2 decent players could ease that pain. I think we still have plenty of talent to win games. Also, we have had stupid kids either quit or get kicked off the team.(thats not really the coaches fault) So, with 3 head coaches on our sideline, playing in a weak conference, having talent, and we still can't seem to get to the dance at all we should be ok with it because our win total each year has improved?....I just don't get it.

I love my Miners. I still bleed orange. I think it's time for a change.(none will be made)....I will still get my season tickets again next year thinking "It's this year"

Sucks in Minerland....

I don't think there are any excuses. He took over an NCAA tournament program with 4 available scholarships. What more do you want? People act like he took over a 3-27 program with 13 seniors. Someone mentioned in another thread that he has the largest recruiting budget, top flight assistants, highest assistant pay, then any coach prior to him. I don't think he can coach or recruit. You have to question recruiting when we've signed guys like Josh Brown and Dustin Watts. You have to question coaching when you lose to USM and Marshall.

If the expectation is the post season, Floyd has not been successful and their are no excuses despite what purplefire says.

I think instead of dwelling on how awful this feeling is, let's discuss what's happening going forward. Last year after the season everyone said we were loaded going into this season. So much that we could redshirt a few. Who is coming back? Who is coming in? Which recruits won't make it? Which current players are gone? It's always a fluid situation in the Floyd era. Floyd isn't going anywhere, so instead of disussing what a failure he has been, let's discuss next season.

Attrition reared its ugly head. But, I think Harris grew up the last two days.

We want this program at a higher level but Floyd is going after recruits who can play with anyone but lack character and leave when a local sports reporter tweets their name or lack maturity to make a decision, on or off the court. For every iron willed stong player like a Cedric Lang, there are three or four who just don't have it inside.

Originally posted by kickballpro:

I think instead of dwelling on how awful this feeling is, let's discuss what's happening going forward. Last year after the season everyone said we were loaded going into this season. So much that we could redshirt a few. Who is coming back? Who is coming in? Which recruits won't make it? Which current players are gone? It's always a fluid situation in the Floyd era. Floyd isn't going anywhere, so instead of disussing what a failure he has been, let's discuss next season.
Those are always the same questions. What's the point of talking about it, when we don't know which players are coming back? Hard to imagine next years team will do better than this years. How many more seasons to we give Floyd?

Personally, I am of the opinion that we give him no more seasons. But I realize that my opinion will not affect a damn thing. TF is like EP's prodigal son, and it would take a 30-40% reduction in fan support for the discussion to even begin in the big office. I don't see that happening. I think Floyd will have to leave on his own for a change to happen. Maybe if there is a big enough shift in TF's perception, that he is not as supported by EP as he would like to be, he might step down on his own. He's already started feeling it to some extent is my belief.

It's not EP's decision - it's the UTEP administration's. So, he's not leaving.

Floyd was a pupil of the "Don" the most beloved coach in El Paso history. There is no way the boosters show Floyd the door or make the seat hot. He will be given the time to lead UTEP to the NCAA tournament. Is five years more then enough time to turn a program around? Yea of course, but at the same time I wouldn't say that UTEP is in a dire state. Once the right pieces come together UTEP will become what we all envisioned. As good as Washburn and Lang were as student athletes they weren't the leaders on the court that this team needed.

Does anyone recall how long it took Calipri to turn Memphis in a power? Fans were asking for him to get fired too, then he turned it all around.

Thanks for the much needed reminders, Artistarts. I consider you one of the most knowledgeable and level-headed of posters. Hopefully, cooler (such as yours) heads will prevail.

"""Does anyone recall how long it took Calipri to turn
Memphis in a power? Fans were asking for him to get fired too, then he
turned it all around."""

Interesting fact mentioned on the airwaves yesterday:
John Calipari - in his short tenure at Memphis and UK - has made 28 of his former players millionaires.

Originally posted by UTEPy79:
"""Does anyone recall how long it took Calipri to turn
Memphis in a power? Fans were asking for him to get fired too, then he
turned it all around."""

Interesting fact mentioned on the airwaves yesterday:
John Calipari - in his short tenure at Memphis and UK - has made 28 of his former players millionaires.
Well I didn't know how long it took him to turn around Memphis until I went on Wiki. His very first year the went to the NIT semi-finals, his second year they won the NIT title. Then he went to the big dance 6 out of the next 7 years. Oh the struggle!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT