ADVERTISEMENT

A TTU Fan's Outlook on the UTEP Game

Apr 28, 2010
Hello UTEP Fans,

As a person who grew up in El Paso for the first 10 years of my life, there is and always will be a special place in my heart for UTEP. I went to Miner games well before I went to my first Tech game. That being said, I wish you all nothing but the best of luck in next Saturday's tilt. Also, safe travels heading over to Lubbock for those of you who will be attending the game.

Now onto some insights. Here are some observations that may not stick out when you look at the numbers but I can promise you are accurate regarding TTU's play last week.

1. The TTU defense was built to get turnovers. When you see how many yards they gave up, you would think that they lost. However, 4 turnovers (5 if you include a turnover on downs) gives the ball back to the offense which I must say looks about as potent as I have ever seen. This team will gladly give up 80 yards in exchange for a goal line interception or fumble recovery. I will also mention that both yards and points were reduced by over 50% in the 2nd half. All of our turnovers were in the 2nd half as well which was probably a primary reason for the other two stats.

2. The scoreboard is deceiving. Last weekend's game was a lot further apart than the score appeared. It was a 28 point lead for TTU going into the 4th. There were at least 2 TDs passes dropped by TTU WRs which should not be expected to happen regularly. When I say dropped I mean just that. The ball hit them in the hands, uncontested and in stride and they couldn't bring it in. Also, by the time the 4th quarter came around, TTU had put in its bench which gave up 2 TDs and the offense ran the remaining clock out. Realistically, the game should have been somewhere in the 70's for points for TTU and a 31-38 point game for SHSU.

3. The rushing success SHSU had was more tied to the TTU LBs misreading their lanes than it was the DL for TTU getting blown off the ball. That being said and in all fairness, UTEP's line is probably 30lbs per man larger on average than SHSU so I expect them to get an even better push.

4. SHSU is currently ranked #1 in FCS polls. Not using that as an excuse but it does suggest that they were no cupcake or punching bag. They have several FBS transfers from large programs playing for them. They will be a playoff team at the end of the season and have a legitimate chance of winning a national championship.

Regarding next week's game, here is what I see each team has to do to come out as a winner:

UTEP Strategy:
- Run the ball every down. Maybe throw in a play action every 10 runs to keep the D honest. Even if the D starts to load the box, run the ball until they show they can keep you under 4 YPC. Even if you are behind by one or two scores, run the ball!

- Use every second of the play clock.

- Take points however you can get them. You don't have to go toe-to-toe with TTU in a shootout. If you control the clock and the ball bounces your way a couple times, a field goal might be the difference.

- Protect the ball. As I mentioned above, the D is built for turnovers. If you protect the ball, you will get yards and you will move down the field efficiently.

- Avoid penalties where possible. This may sound obvious but without an "explosive" passing offense, penalties (holding, personal fouls, false starts, etc.) can really hurt a running team.

TTU Strategy:
- Make UTEP pass. This means sell-out on the run with safeties in the box and go man on man on the outside WRs. TTU has some pretty salty CBs and are used to going one on one with some high caliber WRs in practice. This won't be anything new to them.

- Avoid penalties. TTU has been terrible with penalties over the past several seasons. We have seen some recent improvement but until it becomes consistent, they will be a problem.

- Get ahead early. Considering how good UTEP is at running the ball, it makes the most sense to try and get out to an early lead and try to force UTEP to get away from their comfort zone of running the ball. If TTU can get UTEP into a shootout or a catch-up style of play, that is right where they want them.

- Force some turnovers and capitalize on them. It doesn't matter if its a fumble or INT, TTU should look to get some early turnovers to help them pad a lead and force UTEP to get away from their ground strategy.

Final Prediction - UTEP 24 - TTU 49

I think the game stays close through the first 1.5 quarters with tech going into the half up 17-21. In the 2nd half, I see TTU getting 2 turnovers and converting those to touchdowns which will put them up by 3 scores and force UTEP to pass the ball. This will cause several three and out scenarios which will give TTU the opportunity to further pad their lead and then run out the clock late in the 4th quarter.

I got a lot of family in Lubbock and would love to go to a game up there. Seems like it would be an electric atmosphere on game day. That being said, I still prefer El Paso to Lubbock.

White much?? What's wrong with Mexico - every vacation there?? Oh, and irrelevant point, neither is El Paso.....

I don't know, Jeep. I have noticed (as an Anglo), that some of the worst insults against El Paso from other cities are made by people of Mexican descent. I wouldn't be so sure the poster is white.

Jeez, like who hasn't tried the Mexico angle. Not much original thought from those Raiders.

Sorry, wzi, I haven't experienced the same - bet Dane is white, but he/she won't admit it now or respond to it...

Been to Lubbock and I admit the University is a everything there, but there's nothing to do there and its in the middle of no where. If you Google Vacation Destinations in the US, El Paso is in the top 10, where do u think Lubbock is. The only history y'all have is Buddy Holly! And I'm not Hispanic and not everyone in EP is Hispanic, but my daughter is half Hispanic so I come to the defense when ignorant comics are made. Keep it to Football Tech Trump!

Reactions: JeepJackson22
Been to Lubbock and I admit the University is a everything there, but there's nothing to do there and its in the middle of no where. If you Google Vacation Destinations in the US, El Paso is in the top 10, where do u think Lubbock is. The only history y'all have is Buddy Holly! And I'm not Hispanic and not everyone in EP is Hispanic, but my daughter is half Hispanic so I come to the defense when ignorant comics are made. Keep it to Football Tech Trump!

Haha...there is NO WAY that is correct.

See for yourself

Haha...there is NO WAY that is correct.

See for yourself
http://www.elpasoproud.com/news/loc...lists-of-best-us-quality-tourism-destinations

Do your research bro. That's cool your proud of little ol Lubbock, but besides the University your just a small piece of shit town in the tumble weeds lol. Your 1/3 the size of El Paso, you don't have Beautiful Mountains, Beautiful Women and one of the Major Army Bases in the country! Oh and we're getting a Dave and Busters, So Ha! Lol Good Luck On The Game Bro, I'll be in Lubbock in November, only cause I found a nice little Lubbock Girl, who also says Lubbock Sucks!

Vacation in Lubbock? Lol, maybe if you're from Odessa and on a budget. I've been to Lubbock quite a few times strictly for work only. The only way I would recommend a vacation to Lubbock to anyone would be to play a cruel joke. You could jump on a trampoline and see the whole city.

Reactions: jdubb66
The entire city of Lubbock is just one of our Annual Music Festivals! Lol
scmf.jpg

Reactions: wziminer
Sorry, wzi, I haven't experienced the same - bet Dane is white, but he/she won't admit it now or respond to it...[/QUOT
yeah Im soooooo scared to respond to these chico taco posters. fact of the matter is, im at work and not posting from my mom's house like most on here

How did I know that this thread or any other thread concerning the Tech game would turn into a bashing of El Paso cuz of it's proximity to Mexico and El Paso's demographics. You can always count on Tech and Tulsa to turn a football game topic into a Donald Trump diatribe, what else is new.

Reactions: develman
Someone from Lubbock talking crap about El Paso is like a kid with Down Syndrome calling a kid with Autism a retard! I know that wasn't politically correct, but I'm a comedian, so I don't have to be! Lol Point is Dude Lubbock is a College Town nothing more, don't try and feel better about your shit hole, by putting down a Bigger Better City, just cause you have an issue with the Hispanic culture Tech Dane!

I have a novel idea: how about both sides limit their trash talking over Saturday's football game to, well, football? I have never been to Lubbock, but I do know that neither the city of Lubbock nor any of its residents has ever done me any harm. I bet the same is true of most UTEP fans on this board. Similarly, I doubt that El Paso or El Pasoans have have done the majority of Tech fans harm. Hopefully we can all grow up a bit, stop insulting the cities and their populations, and talk about how UTEP is going to run all over the Tech defense, or how the Tech passing game is going to light up our secondary, etc. Unfortunately few things are more futile than asking for intelligence and maturity on a sports forum.

Lubbock is a cool college party town. I have had a blast the few times I've been there. It's no vacation destination, but seriously folks, neither is El Paso.

II hope we whip that red raider ass. If not, whatever....it's only a football game.

Reactions: TechDane12
Lubbock is a cool college party town. I have had a blast the few times I've been there. It's no vacation destination, but seriously folks, neither is El Paso.

II hope we whip that red raider ass. If not, whatever....it's only a football game.
Tortuga, trust me there's much more to do in El Paso! And to top it off Lubbock is a dry county, I can't promote that type of town lol Enough about the land on the plains, the football game will be close I don't see it as a blowout, that has been my original point from the beginning! If Utep loses by more than 3 TDs I'll move to Lubbock, which is probably the worst thing I could do lol

Hello UTEP Fans,

As a person who grew up in El Paso for the first 10 years of my life, there is and always will be a special place in my heart for UTEP. I went to Miner games well before I went to my first Tech game. That being said, I wish you all nothing but the best of luck in next Saturday's tilt. Also, safe travels heading over to Lubbock for those of you who will be attending the game.

Now onto some insights. Here are some observations that may not stick out when you look at the numbers but I can promise you are accurate regarding TTU's play last week.

1. The TTU defense was built to get turnovers. When you see how many yards they gave up, you would think that they lost. However, 4 turnovers (5 if you include a turnover on downs) gives the ball back to the offense which I must say looks about as potent as I have ever seen. This team will gladly give up 80 yards in exchange for a goal line interception or fumble recovery. I will also mention that both yards and points were reduced by over 50% in the 2nd half. All of our turnovers were in the 2nd half as well which was probably a primary reason for the other two stats.

2. The scoreboard is deceiving. Last weekend's game was a lot further apart than the score appeared. It was a 28 point lead for TTU going into the 4th. There were at least 2 TDs passes dropped by TTU WRs which should not be expected to happen regularly. When I say dropped I mean just that. The ball hit them in the hands, uncontested and in stride and they couldn't bring it in. Also, by the time the 4th quarter came around, TTU had put in its bench which gave up 2 TDs and the offense ran the remaining clock out. Realistically, the game should have been somewhere in the 70's for points for TTU and a 31-38 point game for SHSU.

3. The rushing success SHSU had was more tied to the TTU LBs misreading their lanes than it was the DL for TTU getting blown off the ball. That being said and in all fairness, UTEP's line is probably 30lbs per man larger on average than SHSU so I expect them to get an even better push.

4. SHSU is currently ranked #1 in FCS polls. Not using that as an excuse but it does suggest that they were no cupcake or punching bag. They have several FBS transfers from large programs playing for them. They will be a playoff team at the end of the season and have a legitimate chance of winning a national championship.

Regarding next week's game, here is what I see each team has to do to come out as a winner:

UTEP Strategy:
- Run the ball every down. Maybe throw in a play action every 10 runs to keep the D honest. Even if the D starts to load the box, run the ball until they show they can keep you under 4 YPC. Even if you are behind by one or two scores, run the ball!

- Use every second of the play clock.

- Take points however you can get them. You don't have to go toe-to-toe with TTU in a shootout. If you control the clock and the ball bounces your way a couple times, a field goal might be the difference.

- Protect the ball. As I mentioned above, the D is built for turnovers. If you protect the ball, you will get yards and you will move down the field efficiently.

- Avoid penalties where possible. This may sound obvious but without an "explosive" passing offense, penalties (holding, personal fouls, false starts, etc.) can really hurt a running team.

TTU Strategy:
- Make UTEP pass. This means sell-out on the run with safeties in the box and go man on man on the outside WRs. TTU has some pretty salty CBs and are used to going one on one with some high caliber WRs in practice. This won't be anything new to them.

- Avoid penalties. TTU has been terrible with penalties over the past several seasons. We have seen some recent improvement but until it becomes consistent, they will be a problem.

- Get ahead early. Considering how good UTEP is at running the ball, it makes the most sense to try and get out to an early lead and try to force UTEP to get away from their comfort zone of running the ball. If TTU can get UTEP into a shootout or a catch-up style of play, that is right where they want them.

- Force some turnovers and capitalize on them. It doesn't matter if its a fumble or INT, TTU should look to get some early turnovers to help them pad a lead and force UTEP to get away from their ground strategy.

Final Prediction - UTEP 24 - TTU 49

I think the game stays close through the first 1.5 quarters with tech going into the half up 17-21. In the 2nd half, I see TTU getting 2 turnovers and converting those to touchdowns which will put them up by 3 scores and force UTEP to pass the ball. This will cause several three and out scenarios which will give TTU the opportunity to further pad their lead and then run out the clock late in the 4th quarter.

UTEP has no secondary which means you all will score more than last week. Kugler has no choice but to literally run every play to keep your offense off the field and the clock rolling. He can't go toe like last year, not with freshman in the secondary. The UTEP line will literally need to play penalty and a mistake free game. If UTEP gets into 3rd and 10 plus scenarios, that limits offensive selection and UTEP has virtually no passing game to help in those situations. UTEP had a decent secondary last year, this year it's all young guns and Arkansas torched them....bad. Minerland thinks UTEP should win in Lubbock. No secondary and no passing game to get UTEP out of tight scenarios, it's very unlikely. But hey, that's why they play the game.

Tortuga, trust me there's much more to do in El Paso! And to top it off Lubbock is a dry county, I can't promote that type of town lol Enough about the land on the plains, the football game will be close I don't see it as a blowout, that has been my original point from the beginning! If Utep loses by more than 3 TDs I'll move to Lubbock, which is probably the worst thing I could do lol

Lubbock voted to go "wet" about 8 years ago.

Lubbock voted to go "wet" about 8 years ago.

No trash talk here, but this is just hilarious. You folks have been allowing the drinking of the devils firewater for almost a decade, now, have you! Soon, with that kind of progress, the book burnings will stop, burning witches at the stake will end, and a virgin in Lubbock won't be a third grader who can outrun her dad and brothers. Seriously, I am just joking. But, the whimpered response just cracked me up.

As for the football game. It is really hard to take much from an opening game against a top ranked SEC Razorbacks game. We were able to run a bit and that is not a surprise. We should have been able to run a little. It is WHAT this team does. But, I did see what might be the first signs of a passing game. Maybe. We'll see. My guess is that if Kugler can run, that is exactly what he will do. I am still not convinced that he will pass the damned ball. We'll see.
Defensively, if I were Tech I wouldn't be getting all wet just yet. What the UTEP defensive line will be able to do against the pass happy Red Raiders will be much different from what you saw against the Hogs. OH, and I would like to point out that the UTEP defense is itself designed to force turnovers-especially from a passing team.

It is always just plain silly for a Miners fan to seriously talk about beating a big12 team, so I won't. But, I think both teams will have a much better idea of just what kind of team we have after this game. This is the perfect game for both teams. An easy win for the RR's and a chance to make a step-up statement for the Miners. Should be fun.

No trash talk here, but this is just hilarious. You folks have been allowing the drinking of the devils firewater for almost a decade, now, have you! Soon, with that kind of progress, the book burnings will stop, burning witches at the stake will end, and a virgin in Lubbock won't be a third grader who can outrun her dad and brothers. Seriously, I am just joking. But, the whimpered response just cracked me up.

As for the football game. It is really hard to take much from an opening game against a top ranked SEC Razorbacks game. We were able to run a bit and that is not a surprise. We should have been able to run a little. It is WHAT this team does. But, I did see what might be the first signs of a passing game. Maybe. We'll see. My guess is that if Kugler can run, that is exactly what he will do. I am still not convinced that he will pass the damned ball. We'll see.
Defensively, if I were Tech I wouldn't be getting all wet just yet. What the UTEP defensive line will be able to do against the pass happy Red Raiders will be much different from what you saw against the Hogs. OH, and I would like to point out that the UTEP defense is itself designed to force turnovers-especially from a passing team.

It is always just plain silly for a Miners fan to seriously talk about beating a big12 team, so I won't. But, I think both teams will have a much better idea of just what kind of team we have after this game. This is the perfect game for both teams. An easy win for the RR's and a chance to make a step-up statement for the Miners. Should be fun.

Kyyote you old son of gun! You finally decided to put the bourbon down and leave Terlingua and cross over the shallow Rio Grande for some good Mexican views and women! I'm proud of you. Pull up a seat and stay a while!

No, 2step, this whole town does NOT hate Obama. Only ignorant, Fox News Cultists illogically generate hate for a president simply because he's the wrong color for their worldview.

No, 2step, this whole town does NOT hate Obama. Only ignorant, Fox News Cultists illogically generate hate for a president simply because he's the wrong color for their worldview.

IMHO, it's VERY narrow minded to assume folks don't like Obama because of race. Maybe we don't like him because of what his has/hasnt done? Personally, I don't like him. Never have. Never will. But I do like Dr. Carson. So, your theory is blown. I don't think the whole city is against Obama. Too many party only democrats in this town who would never speak a bad word of any democrat.

Thread getting derailed....sorry folks...

Reactions: Epsilon00
When Obama won the second time, Kyyote shut down the Den for about a week. Then, for a week after that, you could only access a three-page manifesto written by Kyyote. LOL!

No tortuga, Obama's legion of haters is in existence simply because of the color of his skin. Of course, the hate is helped along by the Rightwing hate machine that generates the convenient rationalizations to give them cover. And you like the Doc? How sweet of you. You must of loved Mr. nine, nine, nine as well.

IMHO, it's VERY narrow minded to assume folks don't like Obama because of race. Maybe we don't like him because of what his has/hasnt done? Personally, I don't like him. Never have. Never will. But I do like Dr. Carson. So, your theory is blown. I don't think the whole city is against Obama. Too many party only democrats in this town who would never speak a bad word of any democrat.

Thread getting derailed....sorry folks...

Nothing to do with race. Now let's get this back on the rails!

This will be a lot of Miner fans in El Paso if UTEP pulls the upset....

http://i.imgur.com/BGAV5zc.gifv

:)

No tortuga, Obama's legion of haters is in existence simply because of the color of his skin. Of course, the hate is helped along by the Rightwing hate machine that generates the convenient rationalizations to give them cover. And you like the Doc? How sweet of you. You must of loved Mr. nine, nine, nine as well.

Damn, I HATE when people play the race card for everything. Would you say Obama got elected because of his race or what folks thought he could do? If you say what he can do, then isn't it possible they don't like him because what he hasn't be able to do? If he did get elected because of race, then how could he be hated for the same reason he was elected? If you look at the election results in EP, idiots get elected just by running as a democrat. (i have friends that have) I like carson because of what he stands for. (so far)
Throwing the German reference if very offensive, especially with my family being German. I don't begrudge any race or national origin. We all have our strengths and there are plenty of fools as well.

I'm no political expert. Hell, I could give a rats behind most of the time. I think you are very insulting to everyone saying people don't like our president because of race. You have ZERO to base it on except your PERSONAL biased opinion. What were you saying when folks turned on Jimmy Carter? Clinton? You got nothin....

Folks are tired of just words...we need a new change...Whether it's the idiot Trump, Carson, another Bush, or Sanders, it won't be because of race. It's because we are fed up....again...

don't toss stones my UTEP brotha....you don't have a clue about me unless you come sit n chat....and you havent.

Grabbing the locomotion....I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready to watch the game tomorrow.....I really hope we fair well.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Damn, I HATE when people play the race card for everything. Would you say Obama got elected because of his race or what folks thought he could do? If you say what he can do, then isn't it possible they don't like him because what he hasn't be able to do? If he did get elected because of race, then how could he be hated for the same reason he was elected? If you look at the election results in EP, idiots get elected just by running as a democrat. (i have friends that have) I like carson because of what he stands for. (so far)
Throwing the German reference if very offensive, especially with my family being German. I don't begrudge any race or national origin. We all have our strengths and there are plenty of fools as well.

I'm no political expert. Hell, I could give a rats behind most of the time. I think you are very insulting to everyone saying people don't like our president because of race. You have ZERO to base it on except your PERSONAL biased opinion. What were you saying when folks turned on Jimmy Carter? Clinton? You got nothin....

Folks are tired of just words...we need a new change...Whether it's the idiot Trump, Carson, another Bush, or Sanders, it won't be because of race. It's because we are fed up....again...

don't toss stones my UTEP brotha....you don't have a clue about me unless you come sit n chat....and you havent.

Grabbing the locomotion....I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready to watch the game tomorrow.....I really hope we fair well.

Solid response. Sounds like you think things out for yourself rather than tote the party line. That kind of logical/rational thinking will have to be what ushers in the change you alluded to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT