ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Jones

AJ needs to be the next Mr. 4.24 so he can come up with his own hideous brand of cleats. C'mon Coach Kug, make this part of the uniform! Lol

I haven't seen this year's numbers, but 4.5 is not bad. Ezekiel had a 4.47 last year. 4.4 or better are not too common I think.

Thats ok I guess and that's good if he did good in the other areas
He did have the 14th fastest 40 which is not bad. He isn't a speed back anyways. But he did have the 2nd best vertical and 3rd best broad jump.[/QUOTE
That's good, the link just showed 40 times not the other.

I just watched a replay of the RBs running the 40 on NFL network. AJ ran a 4.52 and bettered it with a 4.5 flat. Not sure why he is listed at 4.56. He beat that both runs. Anyone else see that?

I am having second thoughts about Jones. I just don't see a 4-6 round draft pick. The wagon is just way to full this year with backs who don't have his baggage (injury prone, DUI arrest) and are just as capable. I think he will drop much lower beause he just got injured too much at UTEP and it will really diminish his draft stock and he took a beating at UTEP. His carries per year were not heavy but they were not light and opponents just stacked the box and tee'd off on him during his career here. NFL teams take this into account and I think Kugler's offensive style probably hurt Jones more than helped because his offense provided no relief for Jones. All Jones got was a puff here or there but was right back in so his shelf life was reduced.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
From what they were saying yesterday, they said there was so much depth this year at RB. But that's not a knock on Jones per se, it just means that in the mid to late rounds teams are going to get a great back who can be a starter or a solid backup. Where he is drafted is not really indicative of his talent. It just says what needs teams have to fill first. It's why QBs, LTs, and D-Linemen will always go first. I am not a scout by any means but his measurables matched up well when compared to other backs as I posted earlier. Plus as much as it horrified us when the season started it helps that teams have a little bit of footage of him playing specials teams. Worst case scenario he will make a team as a 3rd back and play special teams.

I can't imagine the DUI would scare off teams. From everything I've read he seems like a high character kid and I'm sure teams that interview him will see that. Any questions about injury were silenced given how well he bounced back from injury.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The funny thing about the medal count is that UTEP only has 2 players in the combine. That is phenomenal.

I can't imagine the DUI would scare off teams. From everything I've read he seems like a high character kid and I'm sure teams that interview him will see that. Any questions about injury were silenced given how well he bounced back from injury.
I agree with you, but it's deep this year for the draft for rb's. You've got big backs, slot, you name it. Look, he's not like a Warren Sapp from Miami who was projected a potential #1 pick but who decided to smoke weed before going into draft time and dropped some slot and lost up front millions. I was listening to a sports talk show yesterday and NFL teams were upset that Mixon from OU didn't show up but basically said they want to work with him and very eager to test him....Huh?! That's reality.

He's had a phenomenal combine. 3 top performances among all participants in 7 events apart from, second fastest 3-cone among backs and 3rd fastest 20-yard shuffle. He also was a top performer in the 60 shuffle. Those 5 medals all came from him. Plinke is not having a good combine.

His sparq rating, measure of athleticism based on his combine results, was second overall. I think he'll be drafted in 3rd or 4th round by someone like the Patriots that drafts well.

He's had a phenomenal combine. 3 top performances among all participants in 7 events apart from, second fastest 3-cone among backs and 3rd fastest 20-yard shuffle. He also was a top performer in the 60 shuffle.

It's obvious the measurables match up to his production in college. That only works in his favor.

Thanks I just noticed after I posted. Local affiliate says he's doing better than some of the better known backs.

Aaron had a very good day. Do some of yall realize how hard it is to run 4.4? How many RB in the league run that fast? Aaron has better than average hands coming out the backfield also. You never saw Aaron get caught from behind during games until he got injured or was on his 30th carry. I don't know ow why some on here don't see how good of a player Aaron is. You pray he stays because he's a star but when he leaves all of a sudden he isn't that good. Kid is better than 95% of the backs in this draft.

Aaron had a very good day. Do some of yall realize how hard it is to run 4.4? How many RB in the league run that fast? Aaron has better than average hands coming out the backfield also. You never saw Aaron get caught from behind during games until he got injured or was on his 30th carry. I don't know ow why some on here don't see how good of a player Aaron is. You pray he stays because he's a star but when he leaves all of a sudden he isn't that good. Kid is better than 95% of the backs in this draft.

Speaking for myself was my basis was the plethora of talent this year, but the cream rises to the top and he is part of that cream of the crop of rb's after a solid, solid combine. They have him anywhere from first to fourth round now. Good for him.

Speaking for myself was my basis was the plethora of talent this year, but the cream rises to the top and he is part of that cream of the crop of rb's after a solid, solid combine. They have him anywhere from first to fourth round now. Good for him.

I would be VERY VERY surprised if Aaron is picked in the 1st round, much less the second or third round. My guess is 4th round or lower, but I hope I'm wrong.

AJ looked very uncomforatble in the track stance. I know he ran the 4x400 but not sure if he's ever been a sprinter. He rocked out of the stance which may have added on a few hunreths on to his time. I know one thing, he out ran texas tech and UT defensive backs to the endzone. You're talking about some of the fastest bros in the country.

That's not good lol that's a slow 40 time

I'd disagree that's a "slow" 40 time. He's in the mid 4.5 range. That's fast enough. Sure you'd like your RB to have a John Ross 40 time, but realistically, his 40 time is still competitive. If he ran a 4.7, then you'd be on to something. However we need to keep in mind we're talking tenths of seconds. lol

Reactions: develman
I'd disagree that's a "slow" 40 time. He's in the mid 4.5 range. That's fast enough. Sure you'd like your RB to have a John Ross 40 time, but realistically, his 40 time is still competitive. If he ran a 4.7, then you'd be on to something. However we need to keep in mind we're talking tenths of seconds. lol

Agree. Not slow at all. It's more important for a back like him to have a quick 10 and 20 yard burst because as quick as het hits that level, he's not gonna get chased down by too many guys.

Also, scouts will recognize the explosiveness as AJ took 2nd and 3rd in the vert and broad jumps, if I remember correctly. Also took 2 and 3 in the 3 cone drill and 20 yard sprint. That's the range where the majority of football is played anyway. I think the combine absolutely solidified his stock in the draft.

It is a stacked RB class, so when he goes, I really have no idea. But he'll go. And it'll probably be higher than many of the scouts thought before the combine. I think he opened some eyes.

All you need to know about AJs combine.
C6MkbtEU4AAuRX2.jpg:large

Matt Miller of Bleacher Report stated today on sports radio that Dalvin Cooks' draft nbr is dropping due to performance & some off field issues. Upholding the tradition of Free Shoes U.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Before they were the San Diego Chargers - they were the L.A. Chargers in the pre-John Hadl days of 1960.

Reactions: miner661

I would seriously doubt anyone doing a seven round mock draft. No way in hell are they an expert on every team's needs and every draft pick inside and out.
In the seventh round teams are just picking rookies who are graded too low to be drafted so they don't have to worry about rookie free agency. No way in hell is AJ on their level given his production and combine grade

L.A. Chargers...that looks and sounds weird.

Not weird - disgusting and stupid. I hate Dean Spanos (Chargers' owner).

Before they were the San Diego Chargers - they were the L.A. Chargers in the pre-John Hadl days of 1960.

Yes, they were the LA Chargers for one year. They then spent the rest of their history in San Diego, a community that loved them as their own. Now they're in LA, playing in a city where no one gives a damn about the Chargers.

Had they still been in San Diego, I would have loved for Aaron Jones to play for my Chargers. Now I hope he doesn't play for that stupid organization. It was bad enough when I had to put up with Johnny Lee Higgins and Thomas Howard on the Raiders.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT