ADVERTISEMENT

According to Kyyote's Den, PF Shakur Juiston may sign with UTEP?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
According to Kyyote's it is just Twitter chatter. That's all. What got my attention is the "will sign" I saw on Kyotte's.

"Shakur Juiston, the 6-foot-7, 220-pound forward from Hutchinson (KS) Community College, now has a list of nine top schools he’s considering, he told ZAGSBLOG.

Juiston is considering Rutgers, St. Joe’s, VCU, UConn, Kansas, Iowa State, UNLV, Rhode Island and Oklahoma. He will have two years of Division 1 eligibility wherever he lands next season"

Good size and perfect PF frame. Doesn't pass the sniff test to me because reports are saying he is a crucial and prized Iowa State recruit and the closeness of his visit makes me wonder. If he had eligibility concerns, I would assume ISU would have a)analyzed and addressed by now since he is an important recruit and b) just dropped his name much earlier in the year but on line sources still have ISU on his radar.

"AMES, Ia. — Shakur Juiston is in Ames this weekend, the top junior college basketball recruit for 2017 and a player I’ve heard people say can be Iowa State’s difference between a seventh consecutive NCAA Tournament and, ahem, the program’s first NIT since 2004.

The 6-foot-7, 220-pound power forward averaged 17 points, 12 rebounds, four assists and two blocked shots in helping Hutchinson Community College to the national junior college title last season. He’s ready to play Big Boy basketball now, it sounds like, and even comparisons to Georges Niang and Deonte Burton came up while conversing with a coach who faced Juiston three times this season.

“He’s that mismatch guy,” said Coffeyville Community College coach Jay Herkelman, whose team handed Juiston’s team its only two losses this season. “He’s got Georges’ body and versatility, but he’s not as good a (3-point) shooter..."

Well let's analyze this with speculation...
Number one: Juiston is a definitive 4-star player who averaged a high double double at the top level of Junior College ball. That doesn't mean his game would translate to Division 1, but it's highly likely that it will. He is being recruited by some top schools (including Kansas and Iowa State).
Number two: CTF said he was done for this year and is still one over in scholarships. If Juiston is being recruited by CTF and wants to come here, space will be made at someone's expense as he would be an instant starter. I already have a feeling that someone won't qualify (Smith, Williams?) and if Juiston is considering UTEP he may be having trouble qualifying as well. Why else would UTEP be recruiting him other than the obvious? Once again, time will tell.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Well, according to "kuhlero" (I liked "cool arrow" that the Mexican American community called Trump, but I digress) at Kyyote's Den, he got it straight from an "ISU insider" but the initial post said "twitter chatter".

Don't shoot the messenger. Kuhlero, nor many of the regular posters at Kyyote's, is not someone who puts up recruiting innuendo's or basic crap like you may find on here. As a matter of fact, Kyyote's Den regulars are usually spot on a lot of the gossip, but that is my own person opinion because of the nature of sports fan sites. That is why I mentioned it in the first place. My only and best evidence is one particular poster on Kyyote's who broke the UT transfer McFarland story of his dismissal from the program for testing positive and he broke that story two or three months prior to Kugler's official announcement. Second, the Kyyote's Den regular participants are pretty good about due diligence and know the bs dictatorial clamps Stull has on UTEP athletics so the information is piece meal and sometimes the reader has to do their own research and that's why I put it on here because I can't find anything either? I google string stuff but I am coming up blank. If, if this story is true, this could potentially be huge for Floyd and the best PF transfer to come to UTEP since Derrick Caracter.

Reactions: axingfools1
Well let's analyze this with speculation...
Number one: Juiston is a definitive 4-star player who averaged a high double double at the top level of Junior College ball. That doesn't mean his game would translate to Division 1, but it's highly likely that it will. He is being recruited by some top schools (including Kansas and Iowa State).
Number two: CTF said he was done for this year and is still one over in scholarships. If Juiston is being recruited by CTF and wants to come here, space will be made at someone's expense as he would be an instant starter. I already have a feeling that someone won't qualify (Smith, Williams?) and if Juiston is considering UTEP he may be having trouble qualifying as well. Why else would UTEP be recruiting him other than the obvious? Once again, time will tell.

Or he had a brush with the law or legal system that has soured ISU and other Big XII schools towards him.

Gawd, if this pans out to be true, Floyd is going to be grinning from ear to ear and getting shit faced underwear streak drunk at one of the two west side country clubs.

BTW, I have money that this story has some legs. Anyone notice our new moderator has not chimed in on the story?

"
Iowa State, Illinois, Seton Hall, Rhode Island, Arizona State, Rutgers, La Salle, UTEP, St. Joe’s, Ole Miss and DePaul are also involved. Juiston will have two years of eligibility wherever he lands.

“One of the schools that’s really recruiting me the hardest is Iowa State,” Juiston said. “[Coach Steve Prohm] has been showing a lot of commitment on trying to get me so I appreciate that a lot.

“They’re just going to use me like they use all their forwards. Their system is four out and one in, so they just say that I could fit into their system. I saw a couple of their games and I could see myself fitting in. They have versatile forwards.”

Juiston said he’s wide open, though.

“Right now, I’m considering everybody,” he said. “I told all the coaches I’m just mainly focusing on my season. I won’t be taking any visits or committing until after my season. As soon as the season’s over, make sure my school is doing well, then narrow some of my schools down and just go from there.”

Whoever gets Juiston is getting a guy who averages a double-double.

“Shakur is a walking double-double,” Hutchinson assistant Jay Cyriac said. “He has an unbelievable motor and does everything you need to win. He won a lot of games for Paterson Eastside and at the Peach Jam with the NJ Playaz and was an important player last season as a freshman. He’s a tremendous athlete, and better kid.”

The Newark, N.J., native is playing this season as a tribute to his brother Shadir, who was shot and killed a few blocks from their New Jersey home on Jan. 21, 2011.

“He’s not like most of the kids today who need to put up their recruiting status on their social media,” said Playaz director Jimmy Salmon. “He’s old school, he just takes care of business. When he’s ready to announce, he will. He’s not interested in giving everybody a play-by-play.”

https://www.zagsblog.com/2017/03/06/kansas-offers-juco-wing-shakur-juiston/

I'm not here to discredit any board member, board (Kyyotes) or blog (MinerRush), but if UTEP adds anyone else for 2017 its gonna be a PG which is the coaches main concern despite their high praise for the signed incoming freshman.

Imo without any Bigwood sources, there's no smoke on this kid mentioned in the Den.

Now if a PG name pops up, there might be something there. Basically, if Floyd adds anyone for the upcoming season, its gonna be a point guard.

Keep in mind, Floyd basically offered over 50 kids in the class of 2017, so it's not surprising UTEP's name is still involved in 2017 kids.

I trust in Bigwood.
That's what she said!

200.webp

Well color me surprised an anonymous person on a message board with insider information is wrong. By the way still waiting for that MW invite.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Damn another steal by Menzies! Just like Chris Clyburn last year. Still whipping on that CTF ass! Nah just kidding. In all reality I'm sure he wanted a place with a scholarship and instant playing time. Iowa State is probably pissed. Anyway, Williams was a good get for UTEP and will do well this year IMO.

UTEP and UNLV are not to be confused.

Well color me surprised an anonymous person on a message board with insider information is wrong. By the way still waiting for that MW invite.

If that was a dig at me, fair enough. However, if he went to UNLV, then he did have UTEP high on the radar. Menzies is a good coach and great recruiter, but this is UNLV folks. Heck, St Joe's produces way more NBA talent than UNLV and the A10 is a better league top to bottom as compared to the MWC. Kansas offered, ISU, Oklahoma, and so on; something was up why he chose not to attend those top programs? I'm not totally buying the instant playing time scenario.

But heck, who give a poop now?!

Menzies just signed Brandon McCoy(a 5-star 7ft center)to play next to him as well. Maybe that played into his decision.

Menzies just signed Brandon McCoy(a 5-star 7ft center)to play next to him as well. Maybe that played into his decision.

I'm not trying to put the recruit down, but I think he had trouble getting into most of those schools. St. Joe's offered and was at the top of his list and is 45 minutes to and hour from his hometown. One thing is obvious, Menzies can sell a bag of shit to Ivanka Trump and convince her it should be her next line of perfume.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
If that was a dig at me, fair enough. However, if he went to UNLV, then he did have UTEP high on the radar. Menzies is a good coach and great recruiter, but this is UNLV folks. Heck, St Joe's produces way more NBA talent than UNLV and the A10 is a better league top to bottom as compared to the MWC. Kansas offered, ISU, Oklahoma, and so on; something was up why he chose not to attend those top programs? I'm not totally buying the instant playing time scenario.

But heck, who give a poop now?!
It might be a small jab at you. Only cuz you said we post "basic crap on here." I don't visit that site at all. The only time I checked it out was when someone posted a story on here saying that posters on Kyotes Den have reliable sources saying UTEP is moving to the MW. Now with this story let's say I'm not so sure how reliable their sources at the den are or for that matter any other person on any message board. I will say Roy hasn't been wrong yet.

I'm not trying to put the recruit down, but I think he had trouble getting into most of those schools. St. Joe's offered and was at the top of his list and is 45 minutes to and hour from his hometown. One thing is obvious, Menzies can sell a bag of shit to Ivanka Trump and convince her it should be her next line of perfume.
And you would be first in line to buy it.

You are right, although we have had some very decent recruits with power 5 offers, there have been no straight up across the board top 100 recruits commit to UTEP under CTF (which I think we all thought would happen). I hope he now understands that he has to BUILD players and BUILD back the program, then one year some big recruit will follow and hopefully create a snowball.

To this point his balls have melted or simply fell apart before they gain any momentum.

In 2014-15 the lineup should have been something like this:

McKenzie Moore Sr.
Isaac Hamilton So.
J. Washburn Sr.
Vince Hunter So.
Cedric Lang Sr.

CJ Cooper Sr.
Omega Harris Fr.
Earvin Morris Jr./T. Howard Jr.
C. Wash Jr.
Matt Willms So.

They win CUSA and a game in the NCAA or they lose and Floyd is fired.

Either way, we should be way beyond that now going into year 8 or we are starting year 3 under a new regime. We should be getting some big time recruits and winning CUSA outright with some big time games at the Don.

Ok back to reality. Maybe it starts this year or we start over....

Last edited:
It seems to me that since the Isaac Hamilton debacle, if a recruit has any other offers, we will be out recruited.

Yup. Did you all read how Shakur Juiston liked ISU 4-1 rotation during games in the article? That struck me as Floyd's annual recruiting style.

I'm not going to get into it with the posts on here because the fundamental problem is Floyd has underachieved during his tenure here at a university with good soil to cultivate success for ANY coach of ANY age, no matter the conference affiliation. UTEP has a great bball fan base, history, facilities, good city to bring your kids with multiple school choice options, or if the coach is older, UTEP is surrounded by good health facilities, doctors, and recreational activities, etc. The pay is not at the top of major schools but as Mike Price stated back in 03 when he got here, UTEP makes it up in other tangible ways. The AD Bob Stull is majorly coaching friendly athletic director unlike other AD's in other major college programs who strap their coaches with a limited budget, demands that are not of on the court success but rather to kiss the ass of boosters and is respected around the country with deep, deep college ties. My point is there is no gawd damned reason Floyd can not succeed here beyond the NIT.

The underbelly is that Floyd has deep, deep ties within this city, that it is hard to get him to retire, fired or to step down. He continually goes on public record blaming Clinton, Bush, Obama, the Mexican drug cartel, and the 1%'ers biker gangs in El Paso for his failure to get UTEP into the NCAA's. He's a phenomenal X's & O's head coach, no doubt about it, best in the business. He can see the game like an international chess master on a 3 dimensional plane. But his recruiting has flopped here and has frustrated fans and fans that have publicly spoken out get physically confronted or blasted on public sports radio. MTSU is not making excuses and neither is UAB. They all know it's not a great conference but they suit up, play the big boys and beat them and at the same time try not to drop an ugly loss to a NAU, Northwest State, Maryland Eastern Shore or Norfolk State during the holidays.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT