ADVERTISEMENT

Aggies at the Don MBB

Where was Hollins tonight? Had a great game a couple weeks ago. Has been absent for the last two. We need guys on the court who are consistent. Looking more and more like it’s a good thing he’ll only be with us a year.

Ugh, we begged Tydus to come back. I was one of them. He locked down Lofton, Jr last year. This is a solid Aggie team. His fifth foul was a bad call because he never got a chance “ to establish” his in the paint catch. But then again he could’ve been more aggressive early when fed the ball.
I'm pretty feisty after being swept again by the hated Aggies, and I don't give Golding a pass. He missed on several capable inside transfer players who would have been better than the guys we have. That's on him. TV is a serviceable guy who fills a role. In the games last year against La Tech, I remember Lofton being nearly unstoppable in the few minutes he played whether he was being defended by TV or BW.

I'm pretty feisty after being swept again by the hated Aggies, and I don't give Golding a pass. He missed on several capable inside transfer players who would have been better than the guys we have. That's on him. TV is a serviceable guy who fills a role. In the games last year against La Tech, I remember Lofton being nearly unstoppable in the few minutes he played whether he was being defended by TV or BW.
Haha. I can relate. My wife is giving me some “space” right now after that heart breaker.

Another issue I have with Golding: one of my complaints with Terry was that a good effort in one game rarely resulted in a bench player earning any time in the next one. Now Sibley's play last game did earn him playing time tonight, but with all the bricks we were laying to begin the game Satterfield should have seen the court. If we have another shooter besides Boum in the backcourt it's him. His play last game should have translated to minutes this game.

Another issue I have with Golding: one of my complaints with Terry was that a good effort in one game rarely resulted in a bench player earning any time in the next one. Now Sibley's play last game did earn him playing time tonight, but with all the bricks we were laying to begin the game Satterfield should have seen the court. If we have another shooter besides Boum in the backcourt it's him. His play last game should have translated to minutes this game.
Yeah, I don’t get why he didn’t get court time. Early this year I thought his lack of PT may have been due to being a defensive liability, however he played really solid defense last outing…and put points on the board.

My thoughts:

One thing I'll give Golding credit for is using the bench more. Terry rarely got points off of the bench, Golding has seemed to improve that so far.

Boum got blocked from behind on 3 breakaways, how?

Nice to see Sibley play well, hopefully he continues this growth

Watching NMSU get all those inside points was frustrating

Hate the 6pm start

I would to see more Maring and a little less Tydus. Maybe Tydus shouldn't be in the starting lineup.

Good game. Tough loss. I hate the Aggies.

1. Bienimy
2. Boum
3. Sibley
4. TV
5. Maring

I would like to see these five start to see how the mesh. Sibley needs to play more minutes from now on. Kennedy coming off the bench.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I know I'm a broken record, but what is it with Saterfield? He must have been on the floor two minutes then gone. If Golding considers him to be a defensive liability as we suspect I haven't seen it. His scoring ability IMO by far out weighs any defensive shortcomings. When given a chance he's shown he can flat out shoot it.
Wish Golding would explain this mystery. Tonight was another horrible shooting exhibition.
Reminds me of some Terry incidents and I in no way want to compare Golding with Terry.

Tough loss, but I think we saw improvement. Unfortunately with the loss and KU and UNM coming up, we could be looking at 3 straight losses. At least this team is getting well tested before conference. A win woulda been really nice though last night. Who knows maybe we upset Kansas lol

My thoughts:

One thing I'll give Golding credit for is using the bench more. Terry rarely got points off of the bench, Golding has seemed to improve that so far.

Hate the 6pm start

I would to see more Maring and a little less Tydus. Maybe Tydus shouldn't be in the starting lineup.

I think we can all agree Golding is a far better coach than the disaster that was CRT. Things are looking up

So Senter agreed to move this game to 6pm on a Friday so it could be on Stadium? I hope they made a lot of money for that but I seriously doubt it. Apparently our AD will never learn how to get to a realistic price point or how to market.
So rather than complaining what specifically would you have him do differently ? Personally I like the game had a National viewing audience and glad Senter got that done

So rather than complaining what specifically would you have him do differently ? Personally I like the game had a National viewing audience and glad Senter got that done

You think Senter went to Stadium and not the other way around? How many would you guess watched this game on Stadium?

So Senter agreed to move this game to 6pm on a Friday so it could be on Stadium? I hope they made a lot of money for that but I seriously doubt it. Apparently our AD will never learn how to get to a realistic price point or how to market.
It’s not like they moved the game time during the last week. Been at 6pm for at least a month. They don’t make any money for moving it. Whatever is paid by their media contract

Hope ur right. My concern: He’ll help us in CUSA because he’s our best big. He’ll help us against the middle of the road teams. He’ll continue to get outclassed against the top tier conference teams with solid bigs. Again, hope I’m missing something.
He is what he is, a leader to the team. Someone with experience, we all know NMSU is just the better team. Tydus will struggle, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him step up and win the Miners a game or 2.

OK!!!
Do any of you know for certain why Golding won't play Saterfield? Have you heard him say anything? Has he ever been asked the question?
We all assume it's a defense thing, but when you so desperately need points...
Last night on a rare occasion Kennedy limited himself to just six shots and made three. That's a big positive. He must have been talked to. On the other hand look at Boum and Bieniemy who shot a combined 11 for 36...Yikes!

There is no excuse for being completely dominated by NMSU in men’s BB for a century. The good thing is Golding has 23 more exhibition games to work out the kinks before the season begins in the CUSA Tourney.

There is no excuse for being completely dominated by NMSU in men’s BB for a century. The good thing is Golding has 23 more exhibition games to work out the kinks before the season begins in the CUSA Tourney.
Dominated for a Century? Lol what are you smoking on? They lead the series, but not by a landslide! It's been skewed lately, because they've won the last 12 of 13. Before that it was almost even with UTEP dominating for periods as well. Look up the series history before making such a comment.

OK!!!
Do any of you know for certain why Golding won't play Saterfield? Have you heard him say anything? Has he ever been asked the question?
We all assume it's a defense thing, but when you so desperately need points...
Last night on a rare occasion Kennedy limited himself to just six shots and made three. That's a big positive. He must have been talked to. On the other hand look at Boum and Bieniemy who shot a combined 11 for 36...Yikes!
Can’t answer the Saterfield question , but I was also pleased with Kennedy’s game last night. He rebounded well, played some really good defense and like you said, shot only 6 times, going 50% on the night.

I think Hollins needs to follow suit. He jacks up too many errant shots. I know he can play, and it seems evident what his strengths are, but rarely does he go to the toolbox.

Despite the poor shooting from Bieniemy and Boum, those are guys who I’d prefer shooting and are most consistent but will have a bad night here and there. Hopefully not many on the same night like last night.

As a whole, I can appreciate the level play from the Miners last night. I recognize the team is well coached. They’re gonna get better and better. I do hope Golding figures something out for the front court. He’s got his work cut out for him.

Dominated for a Century? Lol what are you smoking on? They lead the series, but not by a landslide! It's been skewed lately, because they've won the last 12 of 13. Before that it was almost even with UTEP dominating for periods as well. Look up the series history before making such a comment.
I meant to write decade. Oops

I meant to write decade. Oops
Decade is accurate definitely not Century. UTEP has struggled in Men's Basketball the last decade period and we're all hoping Golding can change that. This year I was expecting a .500 team and I haven't seen anything so far showing we'll be better or much worse than that. Next year is when I'm hoping for 20+ wins and NIT or NCAA.

Reactions: Lil_Train
My thoughts:

Hate the 6pm start

Well said.

Can’t answer the Saterfield question , but I was also pleased with Kennedy’s game last night. He rebounded well, played some really good defense and like you said, shot only 6 times, going 50% on the night.

I think Hollins needs to follow suit. He jacks up too many errant shots. I know he can play, and it seems evident what his strengths are, but rarely does he go to the toolbox.

Despite the poor shooting from Bieniemy and Boum, those are guys who I’d prefer shooting and are most consistent but will have a bad night here and there. Hopefully not many on the same night like last night.

As a whole, I can appreciate the level play from the Miners last night. I recognize the team is well coached. They’re gonna get better and better. I do hope Golding figures something out for the front court. He’s got his work cut out for him.
Against NMSU, Saterfield would have likely been tasked to defend Allen, who is a tough match up for him. Kennedy had a tough time defending Allen, and he is not only more experienced than Saterfield, but a better and longer athlete. That said, I wouldn't have minded seeing more Saterfield for his shooting abilities, even ahead of Agnew, who has also really struggled to make a shot.

Against NMSU, we made enough shots to win, but it was the defense in the last 10 minutes that did us in. I was kind of hoping Golding would play a few minutes of zone to try to minimize the Aggie dribble drive penetration, but I'm not sure we will see that from a Golding team. Definitely an area that needs to be worked on.

You think Senter went to Stadium and not the other way around? How many would you guess watched this game on Stadium?
I got a couple of texts from folks spread across the country who were able to watch it. I guess I’m missing what MinerinWisconsins gripe is and why he turned our game being on Stadium into a whine about Senter

I got a couple of texts from folks spread across the country who were able to watch it. I guess I’m missing what MinerinWisconsins gripe is and why he turned our game being on Stadium into a whine about Senter
Ok. How many people do you think watched it across the country?

I watched the stream and have no complaints about it. I have come around to the stance of a few others on the board that pricing of tickets, poor marketing and starting times, especially on working days, leave a lot to be desired.

Besides, I have not done a good job of bitching and moaning lately and decided to do my part.

I watched the stream and have no complaints about it. I have come around to the stance of a few others on the board that pricing of tickets, poor marketing and starting times, especially on working days, leave a lot to be desired.

Besides, I have not done a good job of bitching and moaning lately and decided to do my part.
Well you may be right as only 6292 were in attendance.

How would anyone know that but it’s common sense if a game is on FREE over the air national TV then obviously more people can see it. Again personally speaking I had people from other ends of the country who were able to watch the game. IMO that’s a good thing
Again, I am asking you to take a guess how many people watched this nation wide.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT