ADVERTISEMENT

Artis trying to help Miners extend win streak -- EP Times

Very nice piece, indeed.

My guess is Gilyard comes in and starts...unless Barrett hangs around. Then I suspect they'll split the duty. But last I heard, and perhaps it was just a rumor, but Barrett may be looking at other options (imagine that!).

They also signed Kobe Magee from San Antonio. One thing I haven't seen from Barrett this year is the ability to penetrate the defense. IMO, a guy his size needs to be able to create for others, because it is so tough for a guy his size to finish at the rim. Not to mention the challenges on defensive side of the ball.

I think one of my biggest issues with Artis is his inability to finish at the rim consistently, and he is a very solid 6' 2" and strong. In comparison, Barrett, Gilyard and Magee are tiny. I just can't see all three guys together next year as there is an overlap in skill set and physical stature. Perhaps the thinking, is a guy like Osborne can fill in at the point. Not sure at all on the thinking on this on the part of the staff, but I have not seen UTEP linked to any PGs late.

He is a very lucky young man indeed. Good to read he is staying focused and working hard. He did allow Floyd to gasp for some much needed air for a few days in a sinking ship. A sinking ship that Stull thinks he can salvage.

The two teams above us in the standings have some tough games on Saturday. WKU at Marshall and USM hosting Rice. If we protect our homecourt against UTSA we might find ourselves in sole possession of 7th place by the end of the night. It's has been a disappointing season but I would still like to see this team fight for .500 conference record or better and 6-8th place finish. Very possible now.

No chance.....We lose Saturday by at least 13

Agreed. We barely beat two terrible teams that had to travel across the country to play us.

We are still one of the 10 worst teams in the country.

Like others said, it's all about the fight now. There's a few kids who can prove a lot in the next couple months. If they're D1 level, they need to show it before the next crop of recruits show up

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
Wow! You must be super confident to pick the Miners to win big. I'm not going to fall for the "UTEP finally won a game, we're now world beaters" trap we all fall for during football season. I'll say UTEP keeps it close but loses by 5.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
Wow! You must be super confident to pick the Miners to win big. I'm not going to fall for the "UTEP finally won a game, we're now world beaters" trap we all fall for during football season. I'll say UTEP keeps it close but loses by 5.
I completely understand why not to be optimistic. We also don't play in some world beater league like big east or acc. Aside from the top three or four on any given day any of the mid and bottom teams can beat each other. UTSA is having a semi decent season but tonight they are coming back to reality.

Last season we were 10-7 and they were 4-14 heading into our matchup where they beat us. This year the roles are reversed we are 4-13 and they are 9-9. It's going to be sweet revenge.

Reactions: Cube Jack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT