ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Peay @ UTEP Basketball game thread

groundrounds

MI Regular
Dec 3, 2017
The Mountains of New Mexico
Austin Peay is a member of the ASUN Conference which includes Lipscolmb,N Alabama, Stetson, Jacksonville, Florida Gulf Coast and Kennesaw State. Last season they were 9-22 overall and 3-15 in conference.
At first glance this looks like another cupcake for the Miners to beat up on.
Anybody got any info on them?

Last edited:
Austin Peay is a member of the United Athletic Conference which includes Tarleton State, Abilene Christian, Stephern F Austin and UTRGV. Last season they were 9-22 overall and 3-15 in conference.

Wait, wut? Is this the same Austin Peay that has been pretty good in the past? WTF are they doing in a conference with shit schools like us?

Wait, wut? Is this the same Austin Peay that has been pretty good in the past? WTF are they doing in a conference with shit schools like us?
I was wrong. They're in the ASUN Conference for basketball. I'll correct the OP.
Edit: I got the conference wrong but the rest of the info is right (unless I'm wrong again).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jdubb66
They play in the ASun, one of the de-facto feeder conferences to CUSA. Liberty, Jax St, and Kennesaw all participated in it before going to CUSA.

Austin Peay apparently has FBS dreams, so they will probably be conference mates in less than 10 years.

They’ve beaten Fisk and Life and got blown out by George Mason. Miners should win easy.

They just opened up their new arena this year.

Austin Peay is a member of the ASUN Conference which includes Lipscolmb,N Alabama, Stetson, Jacksonville, Florida Gulf Coast and Kennesaw State. Last season they were 9-22 overall and 3-15 in conference.
This is all I got for a scouting report….
austin-powers-peeing.gif

Sounds about right, Natty. I was thinking the 9 point spread was kind of low considering the competition.
I'm hoping there's not a let down and we go into Cali tournament with some confidence. If we beat Cal 50/50 and win that tourney, I think the nervous excitement will start turning into belief this may be a special fun season. Still some tough games in the non conference though @ Oregon L @ Abilene Christian 50/50, Don Haskin Tournament with Wyoming and S. Dakota St. 50/50 If UTEP can somehow start conference with only 2 losses or less, I'll start believing.

I'm hoping there's not a let down and we go into Cali tournament with some confidence. If we beat Cal 50/50 and win that tourney, I think the nervous excitement will start turning into belief this may be a special fun season. Still some tough games in the non conference though @ Oregon L @ Abilene Christian 50/50, Don Haskin Tournament with Wyoming and S. Dakota St. 50/50 If UTEP can somehow start conference with only 2 losses or less, I'll start believing.
If they keep up the defensive effort, defend the rim better and hit free throws then they should be fine. Hopefully one expected win hasn't gone to their heads. This team has a lot of room to grow. They just need to stay focused.

It’s really putting the cart before the horse, but my dream scenario is that we go into the Oregon game at 9-0. That would generate some real excitement.

Really natty?!? U held belief for the football team well into conference play but won’t believe in the basketball team if they have more than 2 losses before conference play? That’s pretty wild to me man. I myself have more belief in basketball team now than I ever did with the football team. I’m not saying this team will win the conference but after seeing them play I changed my own prediction from 5th in conference to what I believe to be a top 3 conference team this year. Either way their brand of playing is more exciting to watch than the football team, so there’s at least that. I’ll be attendance for the game and hoping to see that same exciting basketball.

Mineros 88
AP 75

Last edited:
Really natty?!? U held belief for the football team well into conference play but won’t believe in the basketball team if they have more than 2 losses before conference play? That’s pretty wild to me man. I’m not saying this team will win the conference but after seeing them play I changed my prediction from 5th in conference to what I believe to be a top 3 conference team. Either way their brand of playing is more exciting to watch than the football team, so there’s at least that. I’ll be attendance for the game and hoping to see that same exciting basketball.

Mineros 88
AP 75
I said I like what I've seen and love their passion. I want to see the confidence continue and see that passion gets mixed with improvements and cohesion. It's not like we're playing UCONN, Texas and Duke. 2 losses is reasonable before CUSA play. Remember I said I'll believe in something Special if that happens. By special I mean NCAA and a win or 2 when they get there. NIT would be cool too, but I wouldn't consider it Special.

Pinche Miners 70
Malditas gobernadoras 67

Damn free throw bugaboos rear their ugly head again & nearly cost the Miners this game.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
From here on out, on all fouls against us, can we just take it out of bounds rather than going to the line?

Reactions: TxRdKiller
AP fouling the crapola out of UTEP but Miners can’t make a FT! Will this strategy work? AP is in the game.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Break that backcourt pressure and it’s downhill but UTEP having problems with it to foul since UTEP sucks at the FT line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT