ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Peay @ UTEP Basketball game thread

Miners won the game in the 1st 10 minutes.

Poor free throw shooting and rim defense again. These are our achilles heel. Kept the game close enough and will lose us some games this year.

Austin Peay also exposed our inability to handle a zone press. We finally broke it with quick passing and attacking the rim, but in a closer game we may have been dead in the water.

Hardy has played great and Terrell finished well at the point (other than free throws). Our guards may win us a few close games too.

[UTEP plays against one of the best unknown mid-major coach’s in Corey Gipson https://crescentcitysports.com/nsus...-for-two-national-basketball-coaching-awards/]

“I’ll wait until December”-NoWins

Austin Peay was awful last season and they looked awful last night. And UTEP was awful last night too. One of the best unknown mid major coaches?

In typical UTEP Fandom fashion, we are getting ahead of ourselves and overrating them. This team might be better than last season, but they are still not very good. Last years team showed a lot of grit and got some decent wins in November and then fell apart in December. Let's pump the brakes a little.

Austin Peay was awful last season and they looked awful last night. And UTEP was awful last night too. One of the best unknown mid major coaches?

In typical UTEP Fandom fashion, we are getting ahead of ourselves and overrating them. This team might be better than last season, but they are still not very good. Last years team showed a lot of grit and got some decent wins in November and then fell apart in December. Let's pump the brakes a little.
Yes, you are correct that we're quick to get excited. I think it's mostly because we are so starved for a winning team. We're all tired of seeing mediocre teams. With that said, I still think this team is fun to watch and play an exciting style.

I wasn’t able to watch the game last night, but by reading everybody’s comments, it obviously wasn’t pretty. Wish I had seen it so that I could throw the performance into the overall mix of what I have seen.

With that said, just like we really can’t determine the quality of this team based upon one good game against UCSB, nor can we say the opposite because of a bad game against AP. I don’t know, maybe I’d feel more like you do if I had seen the game. Curious, did you watch the UCSB game?

Not saying you haven’t seen posts of people overrating this team, but aside from a poster or two, it has seemed pretty even keeled on the forum imo. More like a cautious excitement of possibilities. Just my 2 cents.

I will admit, the thing that I am already really concerned about so far is the inability to hit fvckn free throws. I’m with you on that. How the fvck can a D1 athlete not figure this shit out?

Yes, you are correct that we're quick to get excited. I think it's mostly because we are so starved for a winning team. We're all tired of seeing mediocre teams. With that said, I still think this team is fun to watch and play an exciting style.
To be a bit fair to us, overreacting game by game is typical of sports fans everywhere. Play well and a team is world beaters, play poorly and we should burn it all down and start over. Give it a month and we'll have a better idea as to what this team is made of.

Of course it is completely fair to bitch and moan about our FT shooting. Do we even practice FTs?

We started really strong last night. First ten minutes we were gang busters. When Austin Peay switched to that half court zone press Powell had a hard time avoiding the corner trap and getting the ball up court. We had a hard time in the half court offense once they slowed us down too. We missed numerous ally oop opportunities out of pure hesitation. Powell got stuck driving into the lane like a running back, but was never in a shooting position when he got fouled. Finally about 8 minutes into the 2nd half we started attacking again. Terrell did a good job handling the point in the last 4 minutes (Powell had 7 turnovers).

I was dissapointed that we didn't get much out of Jones or Camper. We are gonna need those two to produce in big games. I think Jones could be that rim defender we are desperatly missing.

Kalu had another rough game. Fumbled the ball a few times and provides zero intimidation on D. Golding needs to run him at the rim and he needs to rebound more to be effective.

Hardy, Frazier and Solomon played well.

Last edited:
To be a bit fair to us, overreacting game by game is typical of sports fans everywhere. Play well and a team is world beaters, play poorly and we should burn it all down and start over. Give it a month and we'll have a better idea as to what this team is made of.

Of course it is completely fair to bitch and moan about our FT shooting. Do we even practice FTs?
I think they do practice freethrows, but in my opinion, there are guys who just aren't good shooters. If you look at this year's team, four of the same guys who struggled last year at the line, continue to struggle. Kalu is never going to be a good shooter, but 13% (2-15), is ridiculous. It nearly makes him unplayable, but he does bring a physical presence that is needed. The bigger issue are the guards/forwards. Frazier is a poor FT shooter, below 60% for his career. Hardy's shooting motion is odd, which leads to inconsistent results. Solomon is also inconsistent. The only guys who have better percentages are Powell and Camper. All that said, I'm not sure I see a huge improvement from last year. However, they absolutely have to be better than 45%, or the results could mirror last year in those close losses.

I wasn’t able to watch the game last night, but by reading everybody’s comments, it obviously wasn’t pretty. Wish I had seen it so that I could throw the performance into the overall mix of what I have seen.

With that said, just like we really can’t determine the quality of this team based upon one good game against UCSB, nor can we say the opposite because of a bad game against AP. I don’t know, maybe I’d feel more like you do if I had seen the game. Curious, did you watch the UCSB game?

Not saying you haven’t seen posts of people overrating this team, but aside from a poster or two, it has seemed pretty even keeled on the forum imo. More like a cautious excitement of possibilities. Just my 2 cents.

I will admit, the thing that I am already really concerned about so far is the inability to hit fvckn free throws. I’m with you on that. How the fvck can a D1 athlete not figure this shit out?
Right, freethrows and turnovers. As Golding mentioned, they definitely have tape for the guys to work on. Hopefully, the team turns their play against AP into a positive. The things AP did on defense that gave us problems are the same things other coaches are going to use with better athletes. One thing I think may help would be to play Terrell and Powell together. Powell is a difference maker, but he is not a natural point, and I expect other teams to exploit that.

I listened to MinerTalk from Monday and they were comparing the team to Barbees and Haskins teams. And Adrian Broaddus and the crew have been hyping up the team as well.

If you have an espn+ account you can re watch the game. I just checked for you and it’s on there already

Last edited:
I watched about half the game but I was surprised that we let them get so close in the second half. First half UTEP has a good chance at winning the conference but not if we can’t carry that momentum into the second half.

I listened to MinerTalk from Monday and they were comparing the team to Barbees and Haskins teams. And Adrian Broaddus and the crew have been hyping up the team as well.
Not even close to Barbee's NCAA team. Not sure which Haskins teams they are referring too, maybe some later teams (I only know the late 80s and up). Could this team even beat CTF's 13-14 team?

Golding has put together a decent team this year. I can see 20+ wins given our competition, but not NCAA caliber yet. The bad thing is that most of all our scoring against D1 competition is coming from the 3 seniors. That could potentially give this team an edge in the post-season, but has Golding recruited well enough to move the program forward if he gets that far?

We started really strong last night. First ten minutes we were gang busters. When Austin Peay switched to that half court zone press Powell had a hard time avoiding the corner trap and getting the ball up court. We had a hard time in the half court offense once they slowed us down too. We missed numerous ally oop opportunities out of pure hesitation. Powell got stuck driving into the lane like a running back, but was never in a shooting position when he got fouled. Finally about 8 minutes into the 2nd half we started attacking again. Terrell did a good job handling the point in the last 4 minutes (Powell had 7 turnovers).

I was dissapointed that we didn't get much out of Jones or Camper. We are gonna need those two to produce in big games. I think Jones could be that rim defender we are desperatly missing.

Kalu had another rough game. Fumbled the ball a few times and provides zero intimidation on D. Golding needs to run him at the rim and he needs to rebound more to be effective.

Hardy, Frazier and Solomon played well.
Good points axing. Helps paint a clearer picture of what I didn’t get to see.

it's better to get a bad game out of the way early on in the season. The Miners showed they could still win even with a bad game. Now they should focus on getting better in the areas that need work. The weaknesses were obvious last night. We also get to see them play a game with a fairly quick turnaround time in the road trip to California on Monday. Now the games are getting a little more challenging. We'll see how they handle it Monday night. Go Miners.

For the record not many people were making any predictions on the season being a huge success lol. Most of us were just saying Utep looked different against UCSB and has a lot of athleticism and Passion lol. Last night was messy yes, but it's one game and it's early and not all games will be Gold. So maybe we all need to pump the breaks, cause we still don't know where this season will go yet lol

I watched about half the game but I was surprised that we let them get so close in the second half. First half UTEP has a good chance at winning the conference but not if we can’t carry that momentum into the second half.
It was a 12 point game with 40 seconds, last 4 made it look closer. Also 5 million missed free throws. The game was never in doubt really.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Not even close to Barbee's NCAA team. Not sure which Haskins teams they are referring too, maybe some later teams (I only know the late 80s and up). Could this team even beat CTF's 13-14 team?

Golding has put together a decent team this year. I can see 20+ wins given our competition, but not NCAA caliber yet. The bad thing is that most of all our scoring against D1 competition is coming from the 3 seniors. That could potentially give this team an edge in the post-season, but has Golding recruited well enough to move the program forward if he gets that far?
They mentioned the 81-82 Haskins team.

I'm ok with this. Ugly wins happen and the important part is that we won. Last year this is probably an L. Too early to tell what we'll have in March but for now the team looks much improved from last season.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT