ADVERTISEMENT

Ball State Discussion Thread

31-31 half. Good to see Boum find his quickness and his shot. He's impressive when he isn't thrown up long distance shots that land in Montana.

UTEP needs to start discounting tickets. Charging $14 to see UTSA and $16 to see LA Tech is highway robbery!

As I sit here watching the game there are 13 minutes left to go. We are trailing 45-42. If we lose this game, I am ok with it.

Of course, I wish we had done this 10 games ago but I am SO ****ING HAPPY to see the different lineups getting minutes together. Tarke, Hawkins, Efi, and even Archie.

These are lineups that other teams have not seen. At the same time, neither have we. But it is breathing new life into this team. Win or lose, they are playing with more heart, more effort, more energy, more urgency.

Rodney Terry, please do more of this. In the next game. And in every game after that. Mix it up. Play the match ups. Give minutes to those who will take advantage of them.

Please.

If we lose this game, I am ok with it.

Win or lose, they are playing with more heart, more effort, more energy, more urgency.

You're ok with losing to Ball State? I'm not.

This isn't the YMCA. This is college basketball with players who are getting full scholarships to play a game. Playing with heart, effort, energy, or urgency means nothing unless you win the game.

Damn, Efi is showing some real ****ing HEART right now. I've been VERY critical of him. He is throwing it back at me right now.

Reactions: miner1liner
New energy. Loving this. Here's hoping we see MORE of this.

Game not over yet. Just love the energy and hustle of these different lineups. Archie a bit out of control misses badly, Tarke there to rebound and slam home a monster dunk.

Love this win. Coach Terry gave significant minutes to both Tarke and Archie and they delivered. It wasn't pretty by any means but it gave our guys a chance to play different lineups and still get a solid win.

I hope we see more of this.

Good win, because its a win. I too liked the rotation. Finally... If you are not happy about this win, then you should have gone to bed early. I'll take a 1 pt win every game. :) Now let's see if they can take care of Boise St. We get a Miner present for Christmas. I am liking Tarke a bunch. But at the same time, Archie is showing alot too. Stat of the night, Vila did not play. No knock on the guy, but maybe this will help him as well. Turnovers sucked, but their defense really did pretty good against a team that could shoot the 3 well.

I don't have the KenPom #'s is front of me but I would be curious what the tempo analytics look like for UTEP. We all know offensive efficiency is SOLIDLY bottom third in the country.

I think going deeper in the rotation could create a faster pace IF Terry implements a different system and Lathon plays to his potential. The keys were given to Lathon this year. There is still time. Right now though he is driving the car off a cliff.

With Gilyard this team could be very dangerous. Hopefully Lathon makes that big leap mid season.

You love a 1 point win over a mediocre Ball State team while setting the tournament record for most turnovers in a game?

A 1 point win against an ok team isn't a "sold win".
I do. This is a game Vegas picked us to lose. This is game that the last three years of Miner basketball would have lost.

I know to you since we didn’t beat Kentucky in the 1st half and Duke in the second you’re not going to be impressed.

But for those of us that are realist this is a big step forward in the right direction. We grinded out a victory over a team ranked very similar to everyone in our conference and we got the bench involved.

For now the team remains on track to triple their win total from last year and compete for a conference title.

Unlike Auto B, I think last night was a solid win. Ball St beat Georgia Tech a few days ago and beating middle of the road MAC teams is something UTEP should do 70% of the time. BSU wasn’t winless or way below .500

I hope the Miners beat Boise, as it would be another solid win versus a similar school. Losing isn’t the end of the world, but it’s pretty obvious this team isn’t as good as some where hyping them after the Lobo game.

WOW! As I said yesterday, I recorded the game and will thoroughly enjoy watching it later after I take care of some other stuff.
I am in disbelief tho at what appears to be an answer to my prayers. Been begging and begging for Terry to give Tarke, Harkins, Stroud and Efe mote PT during real game situations. He finally decided (apparently) t
he was forced to give it a shot, because his other stubborn lineup wasn't working. Thanks coach.

WOW! As I said yesterday, I recorded the game and will thoroughly enjoy watching it later after I take care of some other stuff.
I am in disbelief tho at what appears to be an answer to my prayers. Been begging and begging for Terry to give Tarke, Harkins, Stroud and Efe mote PT during real game situations. He finally decided (apparently) t
he was forced to give it a shot, because his other stubborn lineup wasn't working. Thanks coach.

Did Efe hit a few of those soft-handed jumpers? I love that shot of his.

There is so much complaining here. You guys were dying for a good season out of RT and your getting it. Not perfect but alot better than last years. Just because Utep is not dominating you guys are upset.There defense is not as good on the road. IF they want to win on the road, they need to tighten up especially late in the game.Lets enjoy this season and stop being critical about every single thing. Yes i was upset about the loss to Hawaii but they came back and beat Ball st. If they could play a little better on D and rebound, they will be ok. I definetly want a NCAA tourney bid but if they dont go then NIT would be great especially if they get a home game. Just my 2 cents...enjoy the season people, we have not had a season like this like in Forever

I only caught the last few minutes of the game, but it was pretty much a snapshot of most of our games so far. We built up a 9 point lead late, but then nearly handed the game over again with bad possessions, and some mind boggling turnovers. The turnover by Archie when the ball went right through his hands right in front of Terry was brutal. Terry slamming his hand on the scorers table was a great representation of how most of us feel about the team. Archie did come back with a huge put back, which may have saved the game for us. I like the switch to the more athletic lineup with Tarke and Archie, but the 9 turnovers between them is unacceptable. Hawkins took a big blow late in the game and never returned, and Boum looks hampered as well, so that may be a factor in our next game. Obviously, great to get the win despite 23 turnovers. That says a lot about the positive work that was put in other areas. On to Boise.

Last edited:
I do. This is a game Vegas picked us to lose. This is game that the last three years of Miner basketball would have lost.

I know to you since we didn’t beat Kentucky in the 1st half and Duke in the second you’re not going to be impressed.

But for those of us that are realist this is a big step forward in the right direction. We grinded out a victory over a team ranked very similar to everyone in our conference and we got the bench involved.

For now the team remains on track to triple their win total from last year and compete for a conference title.

I would be impressed if UTEP didn't set the tournament record for most turnovers.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I have renewed vigor after seeing positive results from Terry's decision to give Tarke and Archie shots during critical floor time with starters. Those two will continue to improve with more of these key game minutes
together! Efe certainly needs more PT as well. There were complimentary scorers last night and it mattered. Opponents will not be able to double and triple team Williams if this continues.
Did Hawk get a concussion? Looked really severe to me.
If we can handle Boise and see positive production from the Tarke and Archie, etc,it changes the outlook.
Go Miners....and learn how to protect a damn lead for a change!!!!

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
shouldn’t that make it even that much more impressive ? To set the record for turnovers and STILL win?

Setting a record for most turnovers is never impressive.

I think it was an ok, ugly win. I will be happy if UTEP beats Boise State with limited turnovers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT