ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting needs

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
Just for shits and giggles

This is what we have for now and what we need most important IMO #1-3.

PG grad transfer or JC #1, Boum, McGriff (RS?)

SG Boum, JC shooter/grad transfer shooter #2, Kennedy

SF Stroud, Kennedy/Archie

PF Williams, JC rebounder/rim defender#3, Archie, Onyema (RS?)

C Verhoeven, Odigie/Williams or JC rebounder/rim defender #3

Vila better shoot and work on defense day and night over the summer if he stays.

Who knows about Kennedy. For all we know he and the recruits could suck or be really good.

Kennedy had a rep as a shooter in HS and his recruitment to Xavier said as much, but.............how many times have we been deceived about the shooting ability of a player only to see that they can't throw it in the ocean. Meanwhile every team we play even the D2 teams have one or two that can hit a shot every time they get open.

Kennedy had a rep as a shooter in HS and his recruitment to Xavier said as much, but.............how many times have we been deceived about the shooting ability of a player only to see that they can't throw it in the ocean. Meanwhile every team we play even the D2 teams have one or two that can hit a shot every time they get open.
I does seem that way in regards to other teams, but in general UTEP has had pretty good 3 point defense over the past 10 years. We need a rim defender. We give up WAY too many buckets at the rack. I hope Tydus becomes that anchor next year.

Last edited:
Tydus could fit that role but has to get stronger, many times this year he had his hand on a rebound only to have it pulled away or he got pushed away from the basket. Having anything close to an offense game couldn't hurt either. He does have a motor and good jumping ability and quickness for a big kid.

Well Stroud will be wasting another year of D1 ball. Not a good sign that he thinks this is better than starting with Terry.

Well Stroud will be wasting another year of D1 ball. Not a good sign that he thinks this is better than starting with Terry.
I'm guessing he will be granted a waiver, like Gilyard, to play next year. Although it is not shocking he is leaving, he is one of the guys I hoped would stick around. I think we all knew in December that there was a ton of smoke, it just took a few months to see the fire.

Last edited:
I'm guessing he will be granted a waiver, like Gilyard, to play next year. Although it is not shocking he is leaving, he is one of the guys I hoped would stick around. I think we all knew in December that there was tons of smoke, it just took a few months to see the fire.
Terry should have played Stroud from the beginning of Conference after we blew it in Hawaii. He and Verhoeven. They ended up playing big minutes in the end anyway.

Why can’t we keep our players ?

I believe that this is actually two questions:

Why couldn't Floyd keep his players?

Floyd developed a transfer culture, where he would essentially give a player one year to prove his worth. If after that year he thought he could replace that player with a better one, he would do so immediately. This didn't inspire any feeling of loyalty amongst the players, and some players that he desperately wanted to keep decided to leave as well. This led to Floyd's famous melt down against Kappy.

Why can't Terry keep his players?

Terry seems to determine a group of favorites early on, and sticks with them. No amount of effort to elevate your game during the seasons is rewarded. If a player comes in and has a fantastic first half (see Stroud and Efe on multiple occasions, Tarke on a few), he may not see any minutes in the second half. If a player has a great game, he may either ride the bench the entire following game, or only see spot minutes. These players also have a short leash: not only does playing great not result in earning time, but any mistake will will get you pulled from the game immediately. Those players that wind up in his early favorites, however, are given way too many opportunities to prove themselves. Vila, for example, shot 21.8% from three, was frequently embarrassed defensively, and made several costly mistakes during crunch time, yet was a starter for the first 3/4 of the season. It's no mystery why a player on Terry's bench would want to leave.

I said it before and I'll say it again. It's a race!
Terry and Trump.... Neither one of 'em can keep their players. They either quit or get run off. It's a race between two losers; no winners in this one.
With all these defections, why should we expect anything positive for next year? Nobody left from what we all thought would be a big 2019/20 season, except Williams and Boum and they could be goners too. Who knows?
Our wonderful savior Terry leaves me at a loss for words and I'm afraid our wonderful AD has disappeared with his head deeply planted in the sand.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I said it before and I'll say it again. It's a race!
Terry and Trump.... Neither one of 'em can keep their players. They either quit or get run off. It's a race between two losers; no winners in this one.

Again, you bring up Trump. He has nothing to do with UTEP athletics or this thread. There are plenty of other places to talk about him. You are a piece of shit, go fvck yourself.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I am sorry but if I was Williams I would probably leave too.... it’s looking like it will be another rebuilding year and we are moving backwards — although the offense will probably run through him... but I would want a chance to play in the ncaa tournament.... and unless terry pulls off some sort of miracle that’s not gonna happen....

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Why bring in so many athletes when your offense doesnt require utilize them? Its confusing. Why not bring in shooters and big men than can finish at the rim and defend.

Terry was not trying to rebuild. He was trying to win now by bringing in tons of players and find 5 that could win. Well he had 6-7 good players but didnt know how to choose them, utilize them, game plan or make game adjustments. He put all his eggs in one basket and decided to go off-roading.

Now he has run off all of his recruits (including his star freshman) and may or may not have Williams for a year. He doesnt deserve an opportunity to rebuild. If Bryson stays and no NCAA this year he should be fired. If Bryson leaves he should be fired now.

His only hope is the NCAA tourny and that's going to require more than what he has proven he can handle.

This isn’t a thread about Donald Trump. Where in the first post does the OP talk about Trump?
Now you know how annoying you sound. The op could be talking about the new hire at xxx school and you’ll reply with “it’s better to have the future coach of Texas than to have so and so who has made four NCAA tournaments.”

Reactions: picks up
I suggested he be fired and JCorona gave me the business about not being able to afford to fire him. So we will be stuck with a lame duck coach or just move on now.

That’s why UTEP is a lame duck school. Make shitty hires, can’t afford to fire them, pass the cost off to the fans.

Now you know how annoying you sound. The op could be talking about the new hire at xxx school and you’ll reply with “it’s better to have the future coach of Texas than to have so and so who has made four NCAA tournaments.”

At least it’s sarcasm and UTEP related. Donald Trump is completely off topic. Do I ever bring up David Bowie, Oprah, or Wayne Rooney during the posts about UTEP? No.

Why bring in so many athletes when your offense doesnt require utilize them? Its confusing. Why not bring in shooters and big men than can finish at the rim and defend.

Terry was not trying to rebuild. He was trying to win now by bringing in tons of players and find 5 that could win. Well he had 6-7 good players but didnt know how to choose them, utilize them, game plan or make game adjustments. He put all his eggs in one basket and decided to go off-roading.

Now he has run off all of his recruits (including his star freshman) and may or may not have Williams for a year. He doesnt deserve an opportunity to rebuild. If Bryson stays and no NCAA this year he should be fired. If Bryson leaves he should be fired now.

His only hope is the NCAA tourny and that's going to require more than what he has proven he can handle.
Even if you UTEP could afford to or wanted to fire Terry after this year, they wouldn't. There are lots of coached around the country that probably don't deserve another year but are being given another year due to the what's going on with the virus (i.e. Pastner at Georgia Tech, Smart at Texas, etc.).

Even if you UTEP could afford to or wanted to fire Terry after this year, they wouldn't. There are lots of coached around the country that probably don't deserve another year but are being given another year due to the what's going on with the virus (i.e. Pastner at Georgia Tech, Smart at Texas, etc.).

Yet, Dan Majerle had 4 consecutive 20 win seasons at GCU before going 13-17 this year. He got canned. UAB fired their coach and he won more games each of the last 3 seasons than RT did this year. I bet he didn’t have 5 D1 transfers at the start of his 2nd year like Terry did.

UAB and Grand Canyon have ambition and don’t accept mediocrity like UTEP does. So we have to continue with Terry, who nobody really cares about and he will turn out 2 more mediocre seasons; while we become another 2 years away from being any good.

We'll see. Senter wasn't hired by Wilson so that could be a factor.

There are plenty of players that Terry can bring in. Some maybe better than the ones we're losing. We need to play the transfer market as well.

She doesn’t seem to interested in making changes, may end up being another Nagy.

Yet, Dan Majerle had 4 consecutive 20 win seasons at GCU before going 13-17 this year. He got canned. UAB fired their coach and he won more games each of the last 3 seasons than RT did this year. I bet he didn’t have 5 D1 transfers at the start of his 2nd year like Terry did.

UAB and Grand Canyon have ambition and don’t accept mediocrity like UTEP does. So we have to continue with Terry, who nobody really cares about and he will turn out 2 more mediocre seasons; while we become another 2 years away from being any good.
Why didn’t uab and gc Fire their coach after year 2. That’s what a true basketball school does. No ncaat no job.

Why didn’t uab and gc Fire their coach after year 2. That’s what a true basketball school does. No ncaat no job.

Right now, do you believe that the UTEP basketball program will achieve “success” the next 2 years with Rodney Terry as coach, based on what you’ve seen????

Right now, do you believe that the UTEP basketball program will achieve “success” the next 2 years with Rodney Terry as coach, based on what you’ve seen????
If by success you mean reach the ncaat by year 4/5, then I would say maybe. That seems to be the normal around cusa.

If by success you mean reach the ncaat by year 4/5, then I would say maybe. That seems to be the normal around cusa.

See that’s what I’m talking about. UAB fired theirs after 4 years of no NCAA during a pandemic and you’re okay with him being here for a 5th year. And you gave a non-committal answer of “maybe”

See that’s what I’m talking about. UAB fired theirs after 4 years of no NCAA during a pandemic and you’re okay with him being here for a 5th year. And you gave a non-committal answer of “maybe”
Your original example is awful. Eashasn took over a program that had won back to back titles. As in they were one of the best if not the best in the league. It took them four years of nothing before they fired him. Terry took over one of the worst programs, not just in the league, but in the nation. Can you guarantee the next coach we hire will have us in the ncaat by year 2? And if he doesn’t are we suppose to fire him too?

Your original example is awful. Eashasn took over a program that had won back to back titles. As in they were one of the best if not the best in the league. It took them four years of nothing before they fired him. Terry took over one of the worst programs, not just in the league, but in the nation. Can you guarantee the next coach we hire will have us in the ncaat by year 2? And if he doesn’t are we suppose to fire him too?

One of the worst in the nation, please! The nations worst teams don’t beat UNM or Washington State and draw 6,000 to their home games like the Miners did in 2017-18. Look at Chicago St, Alabama A&M, and Idaho St for examples of “worst in the nation”.

Please review those schools records, attendance, and other accomplishments and report back if UTEP is similar to them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT