ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting needs

Agree on Sjolund, but if no waivers that may spread our backcourt way too thin and take Tydus out of the lineup. I think he will play the 3. Im definitely excited to see what the new guys will bring.
Yep, without a true lead guard, we are in the same boat as last year, and maybe worse. Moving a guy like Boum over to the point is not optimal for him, or the team. One of the best parts of Boum's game is as a catch and shoot guy. He is a guy who looks to score, and trying to pigeon hole him into being a facilitator isn't going to work. We have already seen two years of this. Like you mentioned, it would be a shame to fail to take advantage of someone as talented as Williams.

Agree on Sjolund, but if no waivers that may spread our backcourt way too thin and take Tydus out of the lineup. I think he will play the 3. Im definitely excited to see what the new guys will bring.
I'm frantically trying to contain my excitement. It's a difficult task indeed. Go Miners!

Its a tough call with the possible waivers. NCAA has left the coaches and players in a dilemna with the rumors and previous waivers.
If Terry knows something we don’t know about waivers and one time transfers then we’re set. I can’t comprehend how we haven’t been able to land a natural point guard. Even a guy like this would make me feel better.

https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2018-19/div1/players/ajrainey20kn

He’s transferring to Nicholls St. I don’t know if Terry was interested but I imagine he could have persuaded a player like that to come here.

That brings up a question. Assuming no one else of value signs would you rather Terry save the scholarship or use it on natural type juco pg like

https://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2019-20/div1/players/damiandearjd3s

In other words should we bring in a pg that might not be d1 talent just to bring in a pg?

If Terry knows something we don’t know about waivers and one time transfers then we’re set. I can’t comprehend how we haven’t been able to land a natural point guard. Even a guy like this would make me feel better.

https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2018-19/div1/players/ajrainey20kn

He’s transferring to Nicholls St. I don’t know if Terry was interested but I imagine he could have persuaded a player like that to come here.

That brings up a question. Assuming no one else of value signs would you rather Terry save the scholarship or use it on natural type juco pg like

https://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2019-20/div1/players/damiandearjd3s

In other words should we bring in a pg that might not be d1 talent just to bring in a pg?
We don't know who has applied for a waiver or when might be granted or not. Terry may or may not know either, but he's probably not gonna tell the fans. It leaves room for excuses.

Last edited:
I hope to heck he is telling them to stay away from the large party gatherings. I know boys will be boys but this virus is serious and UTEPMBB needs every warm body right now.

These kids will be fine. The virus isn't that concerning for young healthy kids. It isn't concerning for most reasonably healthy adults, honestly...

These kids will be fine. The virus isn't that concerning for young healthy kids. It isn't concerning for most reasonably healthy adults, honestly...
That's causing the spread. They will never feel one symptom from corona but be a carrier. They go visit grandma and bingo! Community spread.

That's causing the spread. They will never feel one symptom from corona but be a carrier. They go visit grandma and bingo! Community spread.

True, but this virus is here to stay for a while. Spread is inevitable by the very nature of the way we ship/package/buy products.

People who are at risk should definitely take precautions, and probably avoid contact with relatives that are at risk of exposure (which is basically everyone, since we all have to go shopping at grocery stores and such).

I'd definitely avoid allowing the media to unreasonably scare people, though. As someone who works in the medical field, I can tell you the numbers are highly inaccurate, including the amount of deaths. Right now, hospitals are coding deaths as covid, as long as there's a positive test post mortem, even if the cause of death was something like a car accident or heart attack. They're doing this because hospitals are sitting half empty, with no money making elective surgeries being performed, and a covid code provides a very lucrative reimbursement. Basically they're trying to stay afloat and avoid furloughing large amounts of nurses, radiologists, surgeons, etc, by coding this way when possible.

Again, not saying this virus isn't deadly. It certainly can be, but the same is true for people who are at risk from the flu or pneumonia. It will however be a bit worse than the flu, as unexposed people have yet to develop the necessary anti bodies to help fight it off...

Reactions: MINER.JAY
True, but this virus is here to stay for a while. Spread is inevitable by the very nature of the way we ship/package/buy products.

People who are at risk should definitely take precautions, and probably avoid contact with relatives that are at risk of exposure (which is basically everyone, since we all have to go shopping at grocery stores and such).

I'd definitely avoid allowing the media to unreasonably scare people, though. As someone who works in the medical field, I can tell you the numbers are highly inaccurate, including the amount of deaths. Right now, hospitals are coding deaths as covid, as long as there's a positive test post mortem, even if the cause of death was something like a car accident or heart attack. They're doing this because hospitals are sitting half empty, with no money making elective surgeries being performed, and a covid code provides a very lucrative reimbursement. Basically they're trying to stay afloat and avoid furloughing large amounts of nurses, radiologists, surgeons, etc, by coding this way when possible.

Again, not saying this virus isn't deadly. It certainly can be, but the same is true for people who are at risk from the flu or pneumonia. It will however be a bit worse than the flu, as unexposed people have yet to develop the necessary anti bodies to help fight it off...
Not sure where you are getting this info. Do you do direct patient care? Are you saying that hospitals are mislabeling death diagnosis for financial gain? Thats a big claim. Also elective surgeries have been going on for weeks now in El Paso. The hispitals where I work are picking up in census too.

Not sure where you are getting this info. Do you do direct patient care? Are you saying that hospitals are mislabeling death diagnosis for financial gain? Thats a big claim. Also elective surgeries have been going on for weeks now in El Paso. The hispitals where I work are picking up in census too.

Let's just say I work directly with people in patient care, as well as Administrators and Radiology directors, for example. This isn't really some big secret, just not something you're likely to hear often from televised news.

And I wouldn't look at it as "false diagnosis for financial gain". It's not some evil plot. The national stimulus basically allows for some gray areas with coding, because its known that hospitals can't survive under the current conditions/ restrictions. This is literally a way for hospitals to stay in business, so that we don't have a giant collapse, then bailout of our life saving medical system.

And I think you'll find that corrections in specific "covid deaths" will come as hospitals are now back to normal business. The amount of deaths that can be directly attributed to covid, or at least having a significant contributing factor, is not at all known, but is certainly less than the current number that's being purported

Let's just say I work directly with people in patient care, as well as Administrators and Radiology directors, for example. This isn't really some big secret, just not something you're likely to hear often from televised news.

And I wouldn't look at it as "false diagnosis for financial gain". It's not some evil plot. The national stimulus basically allows for some gray areas with coding, because its known that hospitals can't survive under the current conditions/ restrictions. This is literally a way for hospitals to stay in business, so that we don't have a giant collapse, then bailout of our life saving medical system.

And I think you'll find that corrections in specific "covid deaths" will come as hospitals are now back to normal business. The amount of deaths that can be directly attributed to covid, or at least having a significant contributing factor, is not at all known, but is certainly less than the current number that's being purported
Ok that makes more sense. Still not sure about the last part though. The way I see it is if one is admitted and diagnosed with COVID and then dies then it is a COVID related death.

Well, sort of. There's definitely plenty of people who are being hospitalized for covid symptoms, testing positive, then dying. It's absolutely a deadly disease for a small percentage of the population. What I'm saying is there are many cases where a person is hospitalized for different circumstances, and dying. Pretty much all deaths are being tested for covid, and if there's a positive result, that allows for a certain coding, which qualifies for specific reimbursements, regardless of whether covid was the actual cause, or a significant contributing factor for the death

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Well, sort of. There's definitely plenty of people who are being hospitalized for covid symptoms, testing positive, then dying. It's absolutely a deadly disease for a small percentage of the population. What I'm saying is there are many cases where a person is hospitalized for different circumstances, and dying. Pretty much all deaths are being tested for covid, and if there's a positive result, that allows for a certain coding, which qualifies for specific reimbursements, regardless of whether covid was the actual cause, or a significant contributing factor for the death
If people are being tested post mortem and are positive (without a previous inpatient test) then all those exposed at the bedside would be notified and quaranteened. My group hasn't had any experiences in that regard at all. If people weren't notified that would be inappropriate too.

When saying " all those exposed at the bedside would be notified and quarantined ", are you referring to hospital staff or other patients?

In my experience in central FL, Herman Memorial chain in Houston, Northern Mississippi, and Tennessee, staff generally know when there's been a covid positive patient around, but I've never seen anyone asked to quarantine.

As for patients, that likely wouldn't be applicable in most cases to what I'm referring. I'm talking about people who are in isolated ICU rooms for various life threatening circumstances, in which case they're unlikely to interact with other patients or visitors

"“We have more experience with the complications of flu — such as cardiac problems and bacterial pneumonias that happen after you get the flu — but with COVID-19, every treatment is essentially a trial run,” Chang told Healthline.

There’s also a yearly vaccine available for seasonal flu. While it’s not 100 percent effectiveTrusted Source, it still offers some protection and can lessen the severity of illness..."

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-covid-19-isnt-the-flu

When saying " all those exposed at the bedside would be notified and quarantined ", are you referring to hospital staff or other patients?

In my experience in central FL, Herman Memorial chain in Houston, Northern Mississippi, and Tennessee, staff generally know when there's been a covid positive patient around, but I've never seen anyone asked to quarantine.

As for patients, that likely wouldn't be applicable in most cases to what I'm referring. I'm talking about people who are in isolated ICU rooms for various life threatening circumstances, in which case they're unlikely to interact with other patients or visitors
I mean anybody that went into the patients room and had contact with the patient without full PPE.

Nobody is dressing up in full PPE for all patients that haven't been tested and are presumed negative, so there is always a risk of exposure. Everybody wears a mask and washes hands and takes standard precautions, but thats it. There have been a few episodes where patients test positive later in their hospital stay. Anybody with moderate exposure is quarantined. Therefore if a patient was tested positive postmortem, people would be notified and some quarantined.

I mean anybody that went into the patients room and had contact with the patient without full PPE.

Nobody is dressing up in full PPE for all patients that haven't been tested and are presumed negative, so there is always a risk of exposure. Everybody wears a mask and washes hands and takes standard precautions, but thats it. There have been a few episodes where patients test positive later in their hospital stay. Anybody with moderate exposure is quarantined. Therefore if a patient was tested positive postmortem, people would be notified and some quarantined.

Not sure how they do it in your group, but it hasn't been my experience that hospital staff quarantine when exposed to covid patients (when not in full ppe). I, for example, have been around covid positive patients several times, with only a basic (not n95) face mask. I've never been asked to quarantine.

Everywhere is different, though. I can tell you, for example, the difference in attitude/ precautions between Hermann Memorial (Houston), and northern Mississippi was pretty substantial.

Well I guess we are done recruiting for now. I wonder if Terry will wait for waivers, go after another PG, or save the last scholarship for another sit out transfer. I think we better hope for a Bieniemy waiver otherwise its Boum at the point and a slim bench.

I think he saves it for a potential grad transfer. We didn’t pick up an impact eligible pg but we did bring two natural pg’s into the roster. Will they be better than our converted sg’s is the big question. If they are we might actually win 18 games this season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT