ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting needs

Even if you UTEP could afford to or wanted to fire Terry after this year, they wouldn't. There are lots of coached around the country that probably don't deserve another year but are being given another year due to the what's going on with the virus (i.e. Pastner at Georgia Tech, Smart at Texas, etc.).

not just the virus — schools don’t want to eat huge buyouts then spend even more on a new staff

Yeah he should have re-recruited Stroud by playing him mid-season. I understand maybe he wasn't ready early on after sitting out, but after the BS in Hawaii and the rumors over the break Terry should have benched Vila and started playing Stroud a lot more.

Who do you play? A freshman with a high ceiling and the "most potential on the team" that scores at a high rate and has spectacular plays, or a 6'11" junior that can't shoot, plays away from the rim and can't defend the rim to save his life?

Terry messed up/over recruited by bringing in Archie and Vila when he had Stroud and Eze. He then screwed with Hawkins and Efe by pushing them aside.

I agree except re: Eze. Just not sure he was a big loss. Hope he succeeds.

I believe that this is actually two questions:

Why couldn't Floyd keep his players?

Floyd developed a transfer culture, where he would essentially give a player one year to prove his worth. If after that year he thought he could replace that player with a better one, he would do so immediately. This didn't inspire any feeling of loyalty amongst the players, and some players that he desperately wanted to keep decided to leave as well. This led to Floyd's famous melt down against Kappy.

Why can't Terry keep his players?

Terry seems to determine a group of favorites early on, and sticks with them. No amount of effort to elevate your game during the seasons is rewarded. If a player comes in and has a fantastic first half (see Stroud and Efe on multiple occasions, Tarke on a few), he may not see any minutes in the second half. If a player has a great game, he may either ride the bench the entire following game, or only see spot minutes. These players also have a short leash: not only does playing great not result in earning time, but any mistake will will get you pulled from the game immediately. Those players that wind up in his early favorites, however, are given way too many opportunities to prove themselves. Vila, for example, shot 21.8% from three, was frequently embarrassed defensively, and made several costly mistakes during crunch time, yet was a starter for the first 3/4 of the season. It's no mystery why a player on Terry's bench would want to leave.

An underrated aspect of retention is a hot girlfriend.

not just the virus — schools don’t want to eat huge buyouts then spend even more on a new staff
Exactly. Unless the next candidate is a huge name the risk is too high. There’s no guarantee the next coach will do any better than Terry. Our previous coach had made either the nit or ncaa in 11 of his 14 previous years as a D1 HC. He couldn’t accomplish shit here.

Reactions: unihorn
So it’s UTEP’s fault and not the coaches? Are you insinuating that a good coach can’t win here?
I’m insinuating that the next hire isn’t guaranteed to be any better than what we’ve seen the last decade. And isn’t worth the 2+ million it would cost to buy out Terry.

I want to see Terry leverage his Texas roots to bring in some Texas talent.
Exactly. His Fresno pipeline will be dried up soon (if it hasn't already). He needs to build up in Texas. I know he was in Houston recently before heading home to stay safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
Exactly. His Fresno pipeline will be dried up soon (if it hasn't already). He needs to build up in Texas. I know he was in Houston recently before headed home to stay safe.

Maybe Barnes will throw him a bone.

I agree except re: Eze. Just not sure he was a big loss. Hope he succeeds.
Time will tell, but I am willing to trade Eze for Vila right now. Eze is big, strong and can defend the rim and portray some intimidation factor. His offense was limited, but the one time Terry played pick and role vs La Tech last year Eze showed a LOT of potential.

Not trying to be mean towards Vila, but man I dont remember ever being so mad at a particular player during any season. And to make it worse Terry stuck with him for so long with other viable options on the bench. We probably lost more than one player due to Vila and his unwarranted playing time.

I’m insinuating that the next hire isn’t guaranteed to be any better than what we’ve seen the last decade. And isn’t worth the 2+ million it would cost to buy out Terry.

It’s always the same argument for keeping a mediocre coach. Heard it over and over, by many posters and media when rumblings of getting rid of Price and Floyd. “What if the next hire is worse?” That can be said about anything. That’s not a reason to keep the same shit around just because the next one MIGHT be worse.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Exactly. His Fresno pipeline will be dried up soon (if it hasn't already). He needs to build up in Texas. I know he was in Houston recently before heading home to stay safe.
I think he was there for other stuff. His girlfriend lives in Houston.

It’s always the same argument for keeping a mediocre coach. Heard it over and over, by many posters and media when rumblings of getting rid of Price and Floyd. “What if the next hire is worse?” That can be said about anything. That’s not a reason to keep the same shit around just because the next one MIGHT be worse.
The reason is not that it might be a worse hire, the reason is the risk to reward ration on the 2.2 million to buyout Terry isn’t worth it. If for some strange reason someone like Krzyzewski wants to coach at UTEP next season then by all means fire Terry today.

Time will tell, but I am willing to trade Eze for Vila right now. Eze is big, strong and can defend the rim and portray some intimidation factor. His offense was limited, but the one time Terry played pick and role vs La Tech last year Eze showed a LOT of potential.

Not trying to be mean towards Vila, but man I dont remember ever being so mad at a particular player during any season. And to make it worse Terry stuck with him for so long with other viable options on the bench. We probably lost more than one player due to Vila and his unwarranted playing time.
I'd be willing to say Villa directly cost us a minimum of 3 games. He's just lost at times out there, he is not a quality player at this point.

I'd be willing to say Villa directly cost us a minimum of 3 games. He's just lost at times out there, he is not a quality player at this point.
He needs to see Pau Gasol, not Kevin Durant. His approach is ALL wrong.

As far as I'm concerned we have 5 proven players right now with 3 incoming so far. Bryson, Tydus, Efe, Archie and Boum. No pressure on Kennedy, but he better be some kind of serious dude to replace Stroud. He's already talking on social media. We still desperately need an upperclassman to run the team and a 40% shooter. I think McGriff will be pretty decent, but he cant be expected to lead this team to the NCAA from day 1. Onyema looks like he needs a RS and this year will be perfect time. Another PF to bridge the gap will be good.

As far as I'm concerned we have 5 proven players right now with 3 incoming so far. Bryson, Tydus, Efe, Archie and Boum. No pressure on Kennedy, but he better be some kind of serious dude to replace Stroud. He's already talking on social media. We still desperately need an upperclassman to run the team and a 40% shooter. I think McGriff will be pretty decent, but he cant be expected to lead this team to the NCAA from day 1. Onyema looks like he needs a RS and this year will be perfect time. Another PF to bridge the gap will be good.
Kennedy might want to look at this article before talking too much:

https://www.bannersontheparkway.com...nking-and-offseason-outlook-xavier-basketball

Reactions: UTEPDefense
As far as I'm concerned we have 5 proven players right now with 3 incoming so far. Bryson, Tydus, Efe, Archie and Boum.

I agree with most of your assessment about the team, Mr. Fools, but on this I agree with only three of them: Bryson, Tydus, and Boum. Efe is still a work-in-progress and Archie? Well, to paraphrase Jim Mora, "Archie? You talking about Archie? You kidding me? Archie?"

Archie needs a lot more work, but he does have upside.

Is Stroud eligible immediately?

We will see. However, since he’s transferring to his hometown and with this thing going on, I will bet he will be playing during the 2020-21 season. If things were normal right now, I would say he’s definitely sitting out next year.

Is Stroud eligible immediately?
He should have to sit out a year unless the NCAA rules change. I still dont understand how Gilyard became eligible, but I wouldn't be surprised. What is embarrassing for Terry and UTEP is that Stroud was willing to give up 3 of his 5 years just to get away.

Reactions: JCorona
He should have to sit out a year unless the NCAA rules change. I still dont understand how Gilyard became eligible, but I wouldn't be surprised. What is embarrassing for Terry and UTEP is that Stroud was willing to give up 3 of his 5 years just to get away.
I think if the previous school (in this case UTEP) grants the waiver, then he would be able to play next year; similar to Gilyard. Like you mentioned, the transfer rules can change to allow immediate play as well. My guess is that Stroud will be able to play in December. If he did not feel he would be able to play next year, I would think he would have wound up in juco, versus losing a year.

At lot of the PG transfers that are immediately eligible are being taken. I think the best left are Darius Perry (Lousville), Drew Buggs (Hawaii), Bolden (South Carolina). Perry or Buggs would be the best, but I'm sure both are looking at high majors.

Eric Boone #26 and Trevin Wade (Trey's brother) #83 are the top JC guys left.

Terry needs to pull something out of his hat pretty soon.

At lot of the PG transfers that are immediately eligible are being taken. I think the best left are Darius Perry (Lousville), Drew Buggs (Hawaii), Bolden (South Carolina). Perry or Buggs would be the best, but I'm sure both are looking at high majors.

Don't have names or numbers handy, but seems as though Tech keeps signing highly regarded transfers.

Reactions: axingfools1
Don't have names or numbers handy, but seems as though Tech keeps signing highly regarded transfers.
Yep Beard has done a fantastic job recruiting, coaching and selling his program at Tech. I wouldn't be surprised if he is coaching at a blue blood school within the next 5-10 years.

Tech is one team we need to keep playing please.

Trevin Wade has committed to Wichita St. Another Terry foul up.

Bolden to Butler.

Last edited:
NMSU signs #48 JC PG CJ Roberts (Teammate of Brayan Au) to go along with #22 JC guard Jason King, OK St transfer Marcus Watson and USF transfer big Mayan Kiir.

Where the !@#$ is Terry and his staff?!

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerManiac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT