ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting needs

I cant think of a good reason to not have a full roster. It makes practice better, provides depth, establishes competition, and it provides versatility in your lineup. What if a couple kids get Covid?

No need to question CRT. This is his town BTW. We are lucky to have a coach that finishes in the bottom pod of an elite conference like CUSA. If says we only need 9 scholarship players, then we should believe him. His tract record speaks for itself.

Nothing about a point guard or anything else. He's excited about next season. Not concerned about only having 9 scholarship players. Says if you have 13 there's too many complaints about PT.
Not sure WTF to make of those comments. Hope he was being sarcastic.

Nothing about a point guard or anything else. He's excited about next season. Not concerned about only having 9 scholarship players. Says if you have 13 there's too many complaints about PT.

Now, if he was just as good of a coach as he is a spin doctor, we’d be in great shape!

I cant think of a good reason to not have a full roster. It makes practice better, provides depth, establishes competition, and it provides versatility in your lineup. What if a couple kids get Covid?

If you only need 9, sign and redshirt guys. Use those 4 scholarships to take a risk on Prop 48's and Juco kids. If you only need 9, roll the dice on 4 of those. Go to Europe, South America, and Australia and find some international students who wont be eligible until January or have to sit a year. I understand that you only really need 9, but that doesn't mean you can't have 13.
Agreed. Reading between the lines; I think he's not able to get anyone else, so he's disguising that with "nine's enough".

Reactions: Dmanminer
Not sure WTF to make of those comments. Hope he was being sarcastic.
Was not being sarcastic. Listen to the pod cast. I came across it on Twitter and BTW, I still think it's odd that after run down of the roster, Onyema was not mentioned. W/O him that's nine!

Was not being sarcastic. Listen to the pod cast. I came across it on Twitter and BTW, I still think it's odd that after run down of the roster, Onyema was not mentioned. W/O him that's nine!
Agree on Onyema. Only the late signees were mentioned, which is odd. Terry did mention that he was still looking at bringing in a point guard. He said they are "involved" with a quality one, FWIW. I found it interesting that he admitted he hasn't had a point guard the last two years. You would have thought he would have realized it sooner. Overall, it was a fairly disappointing interview from the perspective of expected improvement.

Reactions: axingfools1
Agree on Onyema. Only the late signees were mentioned, which is odd. Terry did mention that he was still looking at bringing in a point guard. He said they are "involved" with a quality one, FWIW. I found it interesting that he admitted he hasn't had a point guard the last two years. You would have thought he would have realized it sooner. Overall, it was a fairly disappointing interview from the perspective of expected improvement.
Nothing new. Same old BS. I never feel any sense of hearing anything genuine from him. It's like a recorded message.

If Terry gets a good PG for this year I will be ok for now (at least until the season starts). Can't plan for the future anymore. Its one year at a time for Terry (maybe his last chance) with this shit show.

He works for NMSU. Traitor!

tenor.gif

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Just for shits and giggles

This is what we have for now and what we need most important IMO #1-3.

PG grad transfer or JC #1, Boum, McGriff (RS?)

SG Boum, JC shooter/grad transfer shooter #2, Kennedy

SF Stroud, Kennedy/Archie

PF Williams, JC rebounder/rim defender#3, Archie, Onyema (RS?)

C Verhoeven, Odigie/Williams or JC rebounder/rim defender #3

Vila better shoot and work on defense day and night over the summer if he stays.

Who knows about Kennedy. For all we know he and the recruits could suck or be really good.
So we still haven't filled our #1 need for this year at PG, but getting Bienemy for next year was good. McGriff is gone. Looks like Boum at the point for now.

We got two JC shooters who will likey backup Kennedy. Agnew waiting in the wings, but I think Boum moves to SG next year

Sjolund should start at SF and share time with Kennedy.

BW and Tydus start up front with backups Vila and Odigie. I thought maybe Terry would go after a transfer big to be ready for next year. Onyema either redshirts or takes Vila's spot behind Williams.

So we still haven't filled our #1 need for this year at PG, but . Looks like Boum at the point for now.....

Boum came in playing like Freshman Culpepper but by the end of the year he showed he was very capable of running the point. He just need to keep his composure in check. CUSA refs suck and they suck in a bad way in that they can kill your momentum if you give them "the side eye", and I am not exaggerating. Look at what they did to Williams?

So we still haven't filled our #1 need for this year at PG, but getting Bienemy for next year was good. McGriff is gone. Looks like Boum at the point for now.

We got two JC shooters who will likey backup Kennedy. Agnew waiting in the wings, but I think Boum moves to SG next year

Sjolund should start at SF and share time with Kennedy.

BW and Tydus start up front with backups Vila and Odigie. I thought maybe Terry would go after a transfer big to be ready for next year. Onyema either redshirts or takes Vila's spot behind Williams.

Axe, what do you think is this lineup’s potential?

Axe, what do you think is this lineup’s potential?
Well there are still a lot of question marks, but I think there is good potential there from these 5 players.

As 2 step said, Boum did seem to improve as the season went on. I think he is mature and seasoned enough to play on the ball. Hes got a good handle. He's got to create for others while still getting to the line and scoring. Most importantly he's got the be consistent. He will be the key.

The unknowns are Kennedy and Sjolund. Kennedy seems confident. He's got good size at the 2. He's a good athlete and I've heard that he can defend. The big question is can he shoot and can he score. I dont know that he needs to score a bunch, but he needs to be a threat on offense and stay within his role.

Regarding Sjolund, I got a good impression of his game from his highlights. I think there is a lot of potential there as this level. If he is aggressive then watch out. He could be of significant consequence to this teams success.

BW should be even better. Hopefully he doesn't wear down the stretch again

I expect Tydus to be more comfortable in his role and pick up his offense skills and defensive rebounding. Love his offensive boarding and shot blocking, but he needs to get more explosive on finishing at the rim. If he can do that there's a lot of potential in the starting 5.

Beyond that its anybody's guess!

Last edited:
Tydus needs to get stronger, last season he was in good position to get a rebound only to get pushed out or had it taken away from him. He needs something of a offense as well, his poor shot mechanics limit his ability to score outside of 5 feet, but he could develop as a put-back and garbage guy inside. He is quick and good jumper and has a great motor, love his hustle.

For this team to have any chance Vila/Odigie have got to find more of a game. Vila is good at feeding the ball inside from the wing, but he has to do more, rebound, hit an open shot, or defend, something other than being a 6-11 player who plays like he is 5-11. Odigie is another enigma a power guy who doesn't really use his size, he can't jump and misses too many close in shots, he does have a nice mid-range jump shot, he has to find something more to his game as well. If either of these guys can do more off the bench than what they showed last year we might be alright. I won't comment on any of the new guy's because Tarke et al were disappointments on the court, stats and reps from HS, JC or former colleges really don't mean much until they suit up and play on this team.

How about the bench?
Odigie should be our backup big. He's got good size and a nice mid range game. He can also rebound his area. Still needs to improve his agility and quick decision making around the rim. I think he's about athletic as he's6 going to get. He play with passion, but needs to be careful with his attitude. He could get 10-20 minutes a game based on Vila.

I'm surprised Odigie is still here actually. Let's not forget he was basically the top rebounder in CUSA his freshman year (even after Terry openly claimed he wasn't ready before and after). Terry also threw him to the curb for Vila and now has given Tydus the starting position. I give Odigie a lot of credit for sticking with his coach and his team. He is a smart kid and a good student. If he doesn't get a good minutes this year he will likely grad transfer.

Vila could be serviceable to backup Bryson. I can also see him at SF in a big lineup if he finds his shot, but by NO MEANS should he have minutes at the 5 unless we are in serious foul trouble.

Hess could bring some shooting from off the bench.

White apparently can play some point, so he may get more run. I don't like his turnovers in JC, but he seems to bring more than Hess right now.

https://krod.com/utep-basketball-hits-recruiting-trail-for-both-immediate-and-future-needs/

Not sure how Onyema fits in this season or if he red shirts.

I think we go 7 deep this year if no waivers are granted. If we could get one of the other guards or another eligible transfer that would be great.

Last edited:
As of now for 21-22 we will have

Bienemy PG Jr
Agnew G Jr
Boum SG Sr
Kennedy SG/SF Jr
White G Sr
Hess SG Jr
Sjolund SF Jr
Odigie C Sr
Verhoeven C/PF Sr
Onyema PF Fr or Soph

Other than trying to find another eligible point guard right now, Terry needs to go after a big that will be ready for 2021 (C or PF) and another young big too. He also needs to find his next PG. Immediate needs are another big for 2021-22.

Odigie should be our backup big. He's got good size and a nice mid range game. He can also rebound his area. Still needs to improve his agility and quick decision making around the rim. I think he's about athletic as he's6 going to get. He play with passion, but needs to be careful with his attitude. He could get 10-20 minutes a game based on Vila.

I'm surprised Odigie is still here actually. Let's not forget he was basically the top rebounder in CUSA his freshman year (even after Terry openly claimed he wasn't ready before and after). Terry also threw him to the curb for Vila and now has given Tydus the starting position. I give Odigie a lot of credit for sticking with his coach and his team. He is a smart kid and a good student. If he doesn't get a good minutes this year he will likely grad transfer.

Vila could be serviceable to backup Bryson. I can also see him at SF in a big lineup if he finds his shot, but by NO MEANS should he have minutes at the 5 unless we are in serious foul trouble.

Hess could bring some shooting from off the bench.

White apparently can play some point, so he may get more run. I don't like his turnovers in JC, but he seems to bring more than Hess right now.

https://krod.com/utep-basketball-hits-recruiting-trail-for-both-immediate-and-future-needs/

Not sure how Onyema fits in this season or if he red shirts.

I think we go 7 deep this year if no waivers are granted. If we could get one of the other guards or another eligible transfer that would be great.
Bienemy will play. Idk if it's right away or after break, but he'll play this year

Bienemy will play. Idk if it's right away or after break, but he'll play this year
I hope you are right. I posted an article from espn about this under the college basketball section. No guarantees. His best argument may be that he wanted to move out of Oklahoma because of the pandemic, but he's not any closer to home.

Also if he plays or if we get another PG I think it forces Kennedy or Sjolund to the bench. Do you think either can handle that?

Last edited:
Transfer Tapes (@TransferTapes) Tweeted:
*Available Transfer*
Ahmed Ali
Eastern Florida St College/Washington St/Hawaii
Graduate Transfer With 1 Year of Eligibility Remaining
7.3 PPG and 2.9 APG at Washington St 2018-2019
@EFCoachShulman @billmorosco @JUCOadvocate @JucoRecruiting @DirtySouthJuco https://t.co/Ki6TUzXWgi

Reactions: Rocketsr
I hope you are right. I posted an article from espn about this under the college basketball section. No guarantees. His best argument may be that he wanted to move out of Oklahoma because of the pandemic, but he's not any closer to home.

Also if he plays or if we get another PG I think it forces Kennedy or Sjolund to the bench. Do you think either can handle that?
I can see Sjolund playing in that stretch 4 role, if he is able to gain strength and defend stronger interior players. Essentially, he would be playing the role that had been expected from Vila. Then, Kennedy could fill in the 3 spot. Again, these are big assumptions regarding two inexperienced players that were not productive at their previous schools. I think Terry is looking at surrounding Williams with 4 good outside shooters, which would be a complete 180 from last year. If Bieniemy is able to play, that changes my expectations for next year. We still need a few of the new guys to be able to produce.

I think everyone except Boum and Williams have to first prove they don’t belong in the bench.

I can see Sjolund playing in that stretch 4 role, if he is able to gain strength and defend stronger interior players. Essentially, he would be playing the role that had been expected from Vila. Then, Kennedy could fill in the 3 spot. Again, these are big assumptions regarding two inexperienced players that were not productive at their previous schools. I think Terry is looking at surrounding Williams with 4 good outside shooters, which would be a complete 180 from last year. If Bieniemy is able to play, that changes my expectations for next year. We still need a few of the new guys to be able to produce.
Agree on Sjolund, but if no waivers that may spread our backcourt way too thin and take Tydus out of the lineup. I think he will play the 3. Im definitely excited to see what the new guys will bring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT