ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting needs

Terry will really need to pull a rabbit out of his hat to bring in a capable PG at this point. Most of the top JC guys are gone, along with many graduates with immediate eligibility. He'd better hope someone comes available, because right now, he has zero lead guards on the roster. I don't think Kennedy is anything close to a true facilitator, and neither is Boum.
No worries Terry's holding out for star PG of the Armijo Leagues Border Bandits Jose "Skywalker" Jimenez. Last year he was all Segundo Barrio averaging 16 ppg along with 7 apg. He can't commit until his seasonal responsibilities at his Family Lawn Care business are done though. You're welcome for the inside info!

Just for shits and giggles

This is what we have for now and what we need most important IMO #1-3.

PG grad transfer or JC #1, Boum, McGriff (RS?)

SG Boum, JC shooter/grad transfer shooter #2, Kennedy

SF Stroud, Kennedy/Archie

PF Williams, JC rebounder/rim defender#3, Archie, Onyema (RS?)

C Verhoeven, Odigie/Williams or JC rebounder/rim defender #3

Vila better shoot and work on defense day and night over the summer if he stays.

Who knows about Kennedy. For all we know he and the recruits could suck or be really good.

PG Boum/Kennedy
SG Kennedy/Boum/Hess
SF Sjolund/Kennedy
PF Williams/Vila/Onyema
C Verhoeven/Odigie

not funny
Nobody cares what you think. I've been on here almost since this message board started. So if I wanna post something that I find humorous idc what you think. Plus if I have real news I'll share it, but for now with no sports or Big News out of UTEP it's a great time to be light hearted. So keep your Sour Puss Self and comments quarantined in the house where you belong!

Last edited:
No worries Terry's holding out for star PG of the Armijo Leagues Border Bandits Jose "Skywalker" Jimenez. Last year he was all Segundo Barrio averaging 16 ppg along with 7 apg. He can't commit until his seasonal responsibilities at his Family Lawn Care business are done though. You're welcome for the inside info!
Nice. I heard he’s recruiting a thug stud pg from Chicago. Averages 22ppg 7 reb and 6 apg but we have to wait until he completes his probation so he can leave the state and fly into El Paso.

Reactions: nattybry
Nobody cares what you think. I've been on here almost since this message board started. So if I wanna post something that I find humorous idc what you think. Plus if I have real news I'll share it, but for now with no sports or Big News out of UTEP it's a great time to be light hearted. So keep your Sour Puss Self and comments quarantined in the house where you belong!
Now you speak for everybody, tough guy.

Now you speak for everybody, tough guy.
No I speak for myself and I spoke to you directly. No one else was mentioned. Anyways what constructive information have you added to this board about UTEP or do you have to add?

No I speak for myself and I spoke to you directly. No one else was mentioned. Anyways what constructive information have you added to this board about UTEP or do you have to add?
I quote you "Nobody cares what you think." Seldom do I post but remember who broke the news about UTEP running back out for the year with toe injury. Weeks before UTEP posted the news.

I do. I remember Nate talking shit and saying that’s not possible because he talks to Steve and Steve hadn’t told him anything. Lol. That was a good week of suspense on here.

Lol. You remember that, I remember other stuff. Particularly said poster calling an ex-UTEP player our version of Kevin Durant!!

Reactions: JCorona
I quote you "Nobody cares what you think." Seldom do I post but remember who broke the news about UTEP running back out for the year with toe injury. Weeks before UTEP posted the news.
Well there ya go, thank you for your contribution!

Lol. You remember that, I remember other stuff. Particularly said poster calling an ex-UTEP player our version of Kevin Durant!!
Why is that the only thing you go back to. I've been on here damn near 15 years and have also been spot on. That was just like any other prognostication based on the hype out of high school. Jamarcus Russell was supposed to be the next great QB, but it was a bust. I don't hear everyone getting on all the ESPN and Football Writer's for being wrong? That comment was based on an AAU Coach who said he reminds him of Durant in high school. Never said he'd get to Durant's status and obviously he didn't work or ever even reach what many thought at UTEP. He was a Busy on all accounts. So what!

Because he has to sit out a year. Unless the waiver for a one time transfer is approved for this upcoming year.
You are probably correct, but with
the current situation being what it is I hope that changes.

As of right night it looks like all the starters (except maybe Tydus) will likely get 30+ minutes. Things change if we find a decent PG or if the transfer rule is changed. I'm really hoping that Kennedy is not a dud. There's a lot riding on him to contribute big time. Our rotation will be tighter, but I think that's OK. I'm not a big fan of 15 different starting line ups. Hard to build cohesion.

Do you want a cookie? If you broke the new head coaching hire days early I will give it to you, but your "news" wasn't that important. If you really had inside information you would post here more often.

As of right night it looks like all the starters (except maybe Tydus) will likely get 30+ minutes. Things change if we find a decent PG or if the transfer rule is changed. I'm really hoping that Kennedy is not a dud. There's a lot riding on him to contribute big time. Our rotation will be tighter, but I think that's OK. I'm not a big fan of 15 different starting line ups. Hard to build cohesion.
Keep in mind there are still up to 3 more players that could be coming.

Romello White from ASU is available now. Pretty consistent player at center in the PAC-12 (started all 3 years), but never dominant and probably not much of a draft prospect right now. Averages about 10 and 7 with 1 block per game. Not a great shooter from the line, but all his numbers picked up a little last year. A drop down to the mid-major might help his numbers move. He will likely look to a power 5 school though.

Romello White from ASU is available now. Pretty consistent player at center in the PAC-12 (started all 3 years), but never dominant and probably not much of a draft prospect right now. Averages about 10 and 7 with 1 block per game. Not a great shooter from the line, but all his numbers picked up a little last year. A drop down to the mid-major might help his numbers move. He will likely look to a power 5 school though.

No shot for UTEP

Please explain exactly what his coaching philosophy is.

That's the thing, I'm not even positive he has a direction or philosophy for coaching, but to try and answer your question:

- he tends to bench his best performing players for long stretches of the season.

-His player rotations are all over the damn place, with no rhyme or reason to substitutions.

-His offense is basically passing the ball inside to William's when he's in. When he's resting, the strategy changes to passing the ball around the top of the key, until there's 3sec left, then jacking up a wild shot.

- his ability to communicate effectively with his players is obviously non existent. He may actually run more players off than CTF ever did, if he gets enough time.

That's just a few issues off the top of my head...

Why is nobody talking about the 2 quality guards from Power schools that UTEP is going after????
Jeremiah Francis from UNC and Jamal Bienemy from Oklahoma???

Reactions: mikesarabia
That's the thing, I'm not even positive he has a direction or philosophy for coaching, but to try and answer your question:

- he tends to bench his best performing players for long stretches of the season.

-His player rotations are all over the damn place, with no rhyme or reason to substitutions.

-His offense is basically passing the ball inside to William's when he's in. When he's resting, the strategy changes to passing the ball around the top of the key, until there's 3sec left, then jacking up a wild shot.

- his ability to communicate effectively with his players is obviously non existent. He may actually run more players off than CTF ever did, if he gets enough time.

That's just a few issues off the top of my head...
I see it exactly as you do. He has proven that he has no philosophy or if he does his players, the media and the fans haven't deciphered it yet. The mass exodus either proves that; or he ran them off; but if so why?
It wasn't for lack of performance or he would have no justification in keeping Vila.

PG Ahmed Ali now available for transfer. Played 2 years JC where he was All-American 2nd team, 1 year at Wash St. and then transferred to Hawaii (but had to missed the year due to a medical issue). Good shooter and assist to turnover ratio.

https://www.khon2.com/sports/bows-b...o-once-scored-103-points-in-single-prep-game/
Looks good.

I'm hearing a lot of Crickets and June Bugs during these hot spring nights at Casa De Terry. The "Beinvenidos" ceramic sign in the porch is getting dusty.

Reactions: axingfools1
Looks good.

I'm hearing a lot of Crickets and June Bugs during these hot spring nights at Casa De Terry. The "Beinvenidos" ceramic sign in the porch is getting dusty.
Just heard picks up podcast with Teicher and Terry. Talked about the returnees and the newbies plus the needs in the recruiting search. There was no mention of Onyema at all. Is he a goner too?

Just heard picks up podcast with Teicher and Terry. Talked about the returnees and the newbies plus the needs in the recruiting search. There was no mention of Onyema at all. Is he a goner too?
Onyema is signed and in good academic standing. Likely won't play this year as he should redshirt. Just my 2 cents.

Any insight about a potential PG?

White to Ole Miss. Good pickup for Kermit.

Onyema is signed and in good academic standing. Likely won't play this year as he should redshirt. Just my 2 cents.

Any insight about a potential PG?
Nothing about a point guard or anything else. He's excited about next season. Not concerned about only having 9 scholarship players. Says if you have 13 there's too many complaints about PT.

I cant think of a good reason to not have a full roster. It makes practice better, provides depth, establishes competition, and it provides versatility in your lineup. What if a couple kids get Covid?

If you only need 9, sign and redshirt guys. Use those 4 scholarships to take a risk on Prop 48's and Juco kids. If you only need 9, roll the dice on 4 of those. Go to Europe, South America, and Australia and find some international students who wont be eligible until January or have to sit a year. I understand that you only really need 9, but that doesn't mean you can't have 13.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT