ADVERTISEMENT

Beard fired

We let Price rebuild his reputation in El Paso and while his coaching tenure is dotted with mixed success, he was a damn good ambassador for UTEP.

If cleared and available I will not be thrilled, because I believe in giving young up & coming their well deserved opportunity like Beard and Golding were afforded, but he is a top notch X and O’s coach.
Did you miss all of the protests and anger over TCU hiring Kendal Briles who didn’t actually do anything ? Imagine the response many will have to hiring a guy accused of beating a woman. A lot of negative press that UTEP won’t want. It’s like you have no ability to critically think

Did you miss all of the protests and anger over TCU hiring Kendal Briles who didn’t actually do anything ? Imagine the response many will have to hiring a guy accused of beating a woman. A lot of negative press that UTEP won’t want. It’s like you have no ability to critically think
He actually didn’t do anything, but to believe he didn’t know what was going on, is another.

Beard is accused of “beating a woman”. Which I believe, and most believe that is different than having a domestic incident with your live in partner.

Someone will hire Beard. Some social justice warriors will be upset, but they will be drowned out by common sense.

#1, it’s Barbee, not Barbie.

Barbee won the CUSA regular season title, the only one UTEP ever has. Sadler didn’t win the WAC or CUSA regular season title. It’s not ridiculous to believe that Barbee was better.
I was spelling it the way he did. Barbee was the king of getting us to the heralded CBI tournament
He actually didn’t do anything, but to believe he didn’t know what was going on, is another.

Beard is accused of “beating a woman”. Which I believe, and most believe that is different than having a domestic incident with your live in partner.

Someone will hire Beard. Some social justice warriors will be upset, but they will be drowned out by common sense.
so you’re chalking it up to a “domestic incident” not beating. She originally said he assaulted her correct? Sounds like beating, maybe it’s semantics. It did get him fired right ? Point is, do You think UTEP wants to deal with the negative attributes that will come from a hiring like that ? I think in 2023 the answer to that is no.

• Haha
Reactions: unihorn
Both Sadler and Barbee were good coaches at UTEP. They won games and went to NCAA Tournaments. Hiring Sadler was a good move to keep the momentum going and Nebraska swooped in and did us a favor. That led to us hiring Barbee and he had us going toe to toe with a John Calapari Memphis team within a few years. Then we fell off a cliff. I tip my hat to both oh them.

I was spelling it the way he did. Barbee was the king of getting us to the heralded CBI tournament

so you’re chalking it up to a “domestic incident” not beating. She originally said he assaulted her correct? Sounds like beating, maybe it’s semantics. It did get him fired right ? Point is, do You think UTEP wants to deal with the negative attributes that will come from a hiring like that ? I think in 2023 the answer to that is no.
At least Barbee got to the title game. Bronzeing couldn’t beat Southern Utah at home last year, of a worse tournament.

I don’t think a couple of scratches fighting with your “spouse” is a beating. A beating usually involves multiple punches, or kicks, that requires a trip to the hospital and a stay there. If you can walk away from a “beating”, it was a fight or scuffle.

Chris Beard will get another job. Some AD and president with balls will hire him and they will be successful.

It’s a moot point, as UTEP will keep Bronzeing for at least 3 more years. Unless his wife receives a similar “beating”.

Reactions: FedupMiner
At least Barbee got to the title game. Bronzeing couldn’t beat Southern Utah at home last year, of a worse tournament.

I don’t think a couple of scratches fighting with your “spouse” is a beating. A beating usually involves multiple punches, or kicks, that requires a trip to the hospital and a stay there. If you can walk away from a “beating”, it was a fight or scuffle.

Chris Beard will get another job. Some AD and president with balls will hire him and they will be successful.

It’s a moot point, as UTEP will keep Bronzeing for at least 3 more years. Unless his wife receives a similar “beating”.
You have no idea the extent of the altercation. It may be as minor as your trivialize it to be or it may have been much worse. Again, it got him fired at a time he had them in the top 5 so something big clearly happened. As to your assertion that he will be back, I would offer Art Briles up to you as a possible rebuttal. I don’t think Golding will be here 3 more years but to be fair he probably should be afforded at least one more.

You have no idea the extent of the altercation. It may be as minor as your trivialize it to be or it may have been much worse. Again, it got him fired at a time he had them in the top 5 so something big clearly happened. As to your assertion that he will be back, I would offer Art Briles up to you as a possible rebuttal. I don’t think Golding will be here 3 more years but to be fair he probably should be afforded at least one more.
I mean you can read the police report on it. That isn’t a beating.

Art Briles had football players that raped other students. Again, that’s not even close to getting into a fight with your wife, inside of your home. If she doesn’t call 911, he’s still coaching.

Bronzeing will be here at least 1 more, but count on 3. He is under no pressure to win. As you can tell by some of the posts here.

I said I would not be thrilled about it if “he was cleared” (my response to).

Briles expressed remorse and took total responsibility. Has received his pay and settlement and a chance at redemption (as per Grambling State) at Grambling State. The process and football banishment played out, he got another chance.

I mean you can read the police report on it. That isn’t a beating.

Art Briles had football players that raped other students. Again, that’s not even close to getting into a fight with your wife, inside of your home. If she doesn’t call 911, he’s still coaching.

Bronzeing will be here at least 1 more, but count on 3. He is under no pressure to win. As you can tell by some of the posts here.
You’ve not read police report on it. If it was no big deal as you continue to allege then why was he fired ? You make it sound like he had an argument with her.

I said I would not be thrilled about it if “he was cleared” (my response to).

Briles expressed remorse and took total responsibility. Has received his pay and settlement and a chance at redemption (as per Grambling State) at Grambling State. The process and football banishment played out, he got another chance.

He got another chance? He didn’t last at Grambling but for a few days. There was so much outcry that Grambling had to rescind the job.

UTEP will never hire Beard - only because some other school with deeper pockets will be willing to give him his "2nd chance". As for anyone talking about the morality of it - I for one do not care. We're not a church choir. I am so sick and tired of the garbage that is being put on the court since the C-USA title game loss to Memphis. With NIL and everyone talking about UTEP having NO chance to compete - we're gonna have to take flyers on guys - players and coaches looking for another chance, and I'm for it. The 90's Cowboys had a bunch of bad guys on the team and guess what - they won. I'm not looking for a bunch of boy scouts I want winners.

But again all of this is a moot point because we have a school administration that does not give a DAMN about athletics, empty seats in the SB or DHC, being a national embarrassment, or how frustrated any of us are with it. The games could be more sparsely attended than the women's basketball games and NOBODY that works at the University of Texas at El Paso will bat a f*cking eye...

I'm all in on Golding right now. Too many turnover, poor free throw shooting that cost the Miners some games and lack of offensive punch is frustrating, but I am more than willing right now to let him correct it.
I'm with you on giving Golding more time to fit all the pieces together. I must admit, these low scoring games that many on here have labeled "boring" was pretty much the heart and soul of Haskins coaching philosophy. Most years, winning by 5 was a blow out and scoring over 60 was truly an offensive rarity. I wonder how Haskins would be accepted in today's reality?

I'm with you on giving Golding more time to fit all the pieces together. I must admit, these low scoring games that many on here have labeled "boring" was pretty much the heart and soul of Haskins coaching philosophy. Most years, winning by 5 was a blow out and scoring over 60 was truly an offensive rarity. I wonder how Haskins would be accepted in today's reality?
Wins my friend. That’s what the difference is. Haskins won more games by 5 than he lost by 5.

People are willing to put up with “boring” basketball as long as the dubs are racking up. Fans are not ok with “boring” basketball AND losses.

You’ve not read police report on it. If it was no big deal as you continue to allege then why was he fired ? You make it sound like he had an argument with her.
It’s a big deal to UT and that’s all that matters. I said it wasn’t a beating, which you are claiming.

Wins my friend. That’s what the difference is. Haskins won more games by 5 than he lost by 5.

People are willing to put up with “boring” basketball as long as the dubs are racking up. Fans are not ok with “boring” basketball AND losses.
If the Miners won games 44-40, that sounds boring as hell, but at least they won. I just want the Miners to win games. If they played like early 90s Loyola Marymount and lost more than they won, I wouldn’t like it too much either.

Wouldn't any UTEP hire have to go through the University of Texas Board of Regents? I don't think they would approve of UTEP hiring someone who the mothership fired with cause.

I wonder how Haskins would be accepted in today's reality?

Are you asking how a coach that made the NCAAT by year 2 and won the whole thing by year 5 would be accepted today?

Idk what do you think?

Reactions: Lil_Train
I wonder how Haskins would be accepted in today's reality?

Are you asking how a coach that made the NCAAT by year 2 and won the whole thing by year 5 would be accepted today?

Idk what do you think?
I can’t find the post you’re quoting, but I don’t think the poster is talking about results.

Questions like this are unanswerable. Haskins grew up in the 40s or so. He wouldn’t be able to coach today’s players, at least as a head coach.

Reactions: FedupMiner
I can’t find the post you’re quoting, but I don’t think the poster is talking about results.

Questions like this are unanswerable. Haskins grew up in the 40s or so. He wouldn’t be able to coach today’s players, at least as a head coach.
It’s all about results. Any coach that makes the NCAAT by year 2 would be glorified today. We live in a world that wants results immediately. Isn’t that why you shit on Golding?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
It’s all about results. Any coach that makes the NCAAT by year 2 would be glorified today. We live in a world that wants results immediately. Isn’t that why you shit on Golding?
Yes, but what I am saying is, Haskins wouldn’t be a head coach today if you transported him to present day.

If Haskins had been born in the 70s instead of the 30s imo he would be a HC today.
Maybe, but he would have been raised totally different and exposed to different things. Maybe he would have been hardcore into Led Zeppelin or Metallica and he would be a roadie instead of a basketball coach.

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
There is probably some hyperbole here, but Haskins' teams, while not offensive juggernauts, weren't as inept offensively as people remember or want to believe. I looked at the season scoring averages during Haskins' years here at UTEP. During his 38 seasons with the Miners, Haskins' teams average 69.7 ppg per season. Their lowest scoring average per game was 62.4 ppg (1981-82), while their highest was 79.6 ppg (1968-69). It is worth noting that for many of those years there was no shot clock in college basketball, which wasn't implemented until 1985.

For comparison, here are the season scoring averages, max season scoring average, and min season scoring average for every coach from Haskins to Golding:

Haskins:
AVG: 69.6
MAX: 79.6
MIN: 62.4

Rab:
AVG: 75 5
MAX: 80.3
MIN: 69.2

Gillispie:
AVG: 70.3
MAX: 77.5
MIN: 63 1

Sadler:
AVG: 69.9
MAX: 74.7
MIN: 65.1

Barbee:
AVG: 75.7
MAX: 76.6
MIN: 73 3

Floyd (I included the entirety of the 2017-18 season, even though he only coached part of it):
AVG: 68.8
MAX: 77.4
MIN: 63.2

Terry:
AVG: 67.4
MAX: 70.8
MIN: 64.1

Golding:
AVG: 68.8
MAX: 69 2
MIN: 68.3

As you can see, only Rabedeaux and Terry averaged significantly more points per season than Haskins, some of our coaches averaged less.

Last edited:

Bob Huggins, an old school disciplinarian type basketball coach, is still coaching today. I see no reason why Haskins couldn't do the same.

Bob Huggins, an old school disciplinarian type basketball coach, is still coaching today. I see no reason why Haskins couldn't do the same.
He’s been to the NCAAs once since 2018. Has 2 last place Big 12 finishes in that time and is in next to last place this year. His time is done.

You crazy. His team is in the top 25 of the NET. Hall of fame coach like him still has at least one or two runs in him.

Wouldn't any UTEP hire have to go through the University of Texas Board of Regents? I don't think they would approve of UTEP hiring someone who the mothership fired with cause.
yep-yup.gif

The point has been made many times. I don’t think anyone here cares how boring or exciting the type of ball we play. All we want is to win more than 50/50 of our games.
I know that I'm different than some people, who only like up tempo, high scoring games, but for me it's simple: win, and I'm excited, lose, and I'm bored. I found UTEP Basketball in the 80s, with multiple conference and conference tournament championships, and frequent trips to the NCAA Tournament, to be exciting. Despite the fact that radio kept proclaiming that Rab's first team played "a new, exciting brand of basketball," I wasn't excited at all.

As far as Golding goes, in my mind his huge weakness so far has been recruiting. We have one of the poorest collections of shooters that I have ever seen. But given the lack of shooting ability, I think that he is doing a really good job otherwise. We play tremendous defense, are the best rebounding team that I have seen at UTEP in a long time, and compete from tip off to the final buzzer. We're barely over .500, but we're inches away from being 16-5. The problem is that there's only so much that coaching alone can do. Haskins had losing seasons during talent droughts in the 70s and 90s. Gillispie had a horrible season his first year before bringing in Fili, OT, and JW. I think that if Golding had been given Terry's final two teams he could have done a lot of damage. In this era of the transfer portal and NILs, Golding needs to learn how to bring in talent, and quickly, or his tenure here will be short.

I know that I'm different than some people, who only like up tempo, high scoring games, but for me it's simple: win, and I'm excited, lose, and I'm bored. I found UTEP Basketball in the 80s, with multiple conference and conference tournament championships, and frequent trips to the NCAA Tournament, to be exciting. Despite the fact that radio kept proclaiming that Rab's first team played "a new, exciting brand of basketball," I wasn't excited at all.

As far as Golding goes, in my mind his huge weakness so far has been recruiting. We have one of the poorest collections of shooters that I have ever seen. But given the lack of shooting ability, I think that he is doing a really good job otherwise. We play tremendous defense, are the best rebounding team that I have seen at UTEP in a long time, and compete from tip off to the final buzzer. We're barely over .500, but we're inches away from being 16-5. The problem is that there's only so much that coaching alone can do. Haskins had losing seasons during talent droughts in the 70s and 90s. Gillispie had a horrible season his first year before bringing in Fili, OT, and JW. I think that if Golding had been given Terry's final two teams he could have done a lot of damage. In this era of the transfer portal and NILs, Golding needs to learn how to bring in talent, and quickly, or his tenure here will be short.
amen

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT