ADVERTISEMENT

Beard fired

I know that I'm different than some people, who only like up tempo, high scoring games, but for me it's simple: win, and I'm excited, lose, and I'm bored. I found UTEP Basketball in the 80s, with multiple conference and conference tournament championships, and frequent trips to the NCAA Tournament, to be exciting. Despite the fact that radio kept proclaiming that Rab's first team played "a new, exciting brand of basketball," I wasn't excited at all.

As far as Golding goes, in my mind his huge weakness so far has been recruiting. We have one of the poorest collections of shooters that I have ever seen. But given the lack of shooting ability, I think that he is doing a really good job otherwise. We play tremendous defense, are the best rebounding team that I have seen at UTEP in a long time, and compete from tip off to the final buzzer. We're barely over .500, but we're inches away from being 16-5. The problem is that there's only so much that coaching alone can do. Haskins had losing seasons during talent droughts in the 70s and 90s. Gillispie had a horrible season his first year before bringing in Fili, OT, and JW. I think that if Golding had been given Terry's final two teams he could have done a lot of damage. In this era of the transfer portal and NILs, Golding needs to learn how to bring in talent, and quickly, or his tenure here will be short.
That "new, exciting brand of basketball" went for crud when he called out some player(s) publicly to the media for their play on the court which resulted in one particular player returning the favor to Rab's.

I know that I'm different than some people, who only like up tempo, high scoring games, but for me it's simple: win, and I'm excited, lose, and I'm bored. I found UTEP Basketball in the 80s, with multiple conference and conference tournament championships, and frequent trips to the NCAA Tournament, to be exciting. Despite the fact that radio kept proclaiming that Rab's first team played "a new, exciting brand of basketball," I wasn't excited at all.

As far as Golding goes, in my mind his huge weakness so far has been recruiting. We have one of the poorest collections of shooters that I have ever seen. But given the lack of shooting ability, I think that he is doing a really good job otherwise. We play tremendous defense, are the best rebounding team that I have seen at UTEP in a long time, and compete from tip off to the final buzzer. We're barely over .500, but we're inches away from being 16-5. The problem is that there's only so much that coaching alone can do. Haskins had losing seasons during talent droughts in the 70s and 90s. Gillispie had a horrible season his first year before bringing in Fili, OT, and JW. I think that if Golding had been given Terry's final two teams he could have done a lot of damage. In this era of the transfer portal and NILs, Golding needs to learn how to bring in talent, and quickly, or his tenure here will be short.
Nice write up. I Agree with your 1st paragraph 100%. I also agree that Golding's recruiting is poor. Why we ever thought it would all of a sudden get better at UTEP I don't understand. Can it get better? Yes, but he needs help or like you said he will be gone soon. Hire a recruiter and use some of that NIL to get a few scorers/shooters.

In regards to Golding's defensive prowess, I think it's more of a reflection of his personality and the hustle of his team than the X's and O's. Golding really has only one defense. Sure it helps with steals and defending the 3 point line, but our opponents are still average 42% field goal shooting and our interior D suffers. Maybe I'm old school, but I always learned to play basketball from the inside out. I think Haskins was the same way. I would love to see what these guys could do with straight up man to man the way they hustle.

Even if the UTEP job was vacant and the Board of Regents would approve the hire, UTEP would be to chicken shit to hire him. More than likely he will get his charges dropped with his fiancée flip flopping. Some school will hire Beard by next season and there will be 50 people crying and appalled about the hire, nobody will care, then they will go away. We will watch Beard winning games in the NCAA Tourney with his next place of employment.

Even if the UTEP job was vacant and the Board of Regents would approve the hire, UTEP would be to chicken shit to hire him. More than likely he will get his charges dropped with his fiancée flip flopping. Some school will hire Beard by next season and there will be 50 people crying and appalled about the hire, nobody will care, then they will go away. We will watch Beard winning games in the NCAA Tourney with his next place of employment.
No way. He will not be hired as an HC next season. Not happening. We don’t even know what the results of his case will be

Rodney friggin Terry. Just knocked off Baylor at home and KSU on the road. Atop the B12.

Naw. The smart fans and donors will realize his performance at Fresno and UTEP is more of who he is and not his performance with Beards players.

He could coach Northern Iowa or a school like that.
I don’t know. ADs tend to like shiny things. He might garner some decent interest.

While he has done a much better job than I thought he’d do as interim, I do agree with you that his performance at Fresno St and UTEP is who he is and it’ll take a P5 picking him up to demonstrate that fact once again.

Honestly I wouldn’t bet against UT keeping him on if this success continues.
That’s entirely possible. If he loses during the first weekend of the NCAA tournament, you can forget about that though. Makes the Sweet 16 or Elite 8, gotta really think about it. Shoe in if they make the Final 4.

Reactions: MinerFan79
What Terry is doing is pretty special. They could’ve gone off the rails.

That said, I think it’s about the fire in Terry’s belly. Maybe a run this season at the controls reinvigorates him. We’ll see.

I'm actually rooting for him, despite the fact that I've been vocal that he won't make it. No hard feelings towards him for leaving. He granted many of our wish by doing so.
I didn’t think he would do better than 10-8 but he has been proving us all wrong. It would be cool to have an ex UTEP HC as the HC at Texas. Add it to our list of coaches that moved on to bigger jobs.

I didn’t think he would do better than 10-8 but he has been proving us all wrong. It would be cool to have an ex UTEP HC as the HC at Texas. Add it to our list of coaches that moved on to bigger jobs.
UTEP wasn't the right fit. It happens.

TAMU trolls were making fun of him and UT. They're not making fun of him anymore...

not-funny-its-not-funny.gif

I like all the new emoji’s we have instead of just the like one but I feel we also need a confused as f*ck one.

per Bohls at AAS...

Big raise: Joe Biden says the economy is improving, and he can prove it by Texas interim basketball coach Rodney Terry, who has gotten a pay bump from his $500,000 annual salary to $1.2 million for this year. He has done a great job with an 11-4 record with two road losses to top 10 teams Tennessee and Kansas. … Speaking for the first time on the subject, Del Conte said he will “seriously” consider promoting Terry to the permanent head coaching job after the season. “Absolutely I will,” Del Conte told me before Monday’s Kansas game. “Without a doubt, he’s a serious candidate for the position. I’m so proud of Terry and the coaching staff. It’s just been remarkable. He’ll be strongly considered.” … One question mark might have been Terry’s ability to recruit elite talent, but he reminded me in Lawrence that “I was very involved and instrumental in helping build this Texas team. I was the point guy in recruiting Tyrese Hunter, Timmy Allen and Marcus Carr. I was knee-deep with them.” … Along those lines, Terry said Texas’ huge two recruits, McDonald’s All-American 6foot-8 forward Ron Holland and 6foot-5 guard A.J. Johnson from Fresno, Calif., are holding strong after signing with the Longhorns. Were their phones ringing after Chris Beard got fired? “Probably initially, yes,” Terry said. “Are they firm? Presently we are.” Del Conte said Terry’s time as a head coach for 10 years wouldn’t be a big factor. “I don’t pay much attention to that,” he said. But asked if Terry’s post-season success in the NCAA Tournament will play a role, he said, “I don’t want to get into that.” … One source said veteran coaches like Kentucky’s John Calipari and Iona’s Rick Pitino will not be considered. Del Conte wouldn’t say if he reached out to just-retired Jay Wright — he should — but few think the Villanova legend would consider Texas. … Del Conte said he has not reached out to any coaches or their athletic directors, but will use a head-hunting firm to properly vet all candidates about their backgrounds. He has to after firing Beard in less than a season-and-a-half. He does recognize the mere vacancy at Texas will have an affect on the marketplace. “Nothing has happened,” Del Conte said. “But just because the job is open, people are going to get raises. You’ll see 100 people get raises. But I’ve not had any contact with anybody. I think we have the best job in the country. And Rodney will be considered for the job when the time is right. I want to let the coaches and athletes have a year that is unencumbered. I don’t want any more distractions.”

Something not being discussed is Terry’s health.

Remember he was hospitalized while at UTEP with anaphylactic shock. It was reported he had a reaction to some meds he was taking. When he came back, he was so thin he looked like a stick man. I don’t know the details, but it seemed like he was really sick.

Shaka has Marquette in the top 10 and 2nd in the Big East.

Terry has Texas in the top 5 and 1st in the Big 12.

Golding has us 3 games under .500 (vs d1) and second to last place in CUSA.

Why tf did we get the short end of the stick in this exchange?

Reactions: axingfools1
Shaka has Marquette in the top 10 and 2nd in the Big East.

Terry has Texas in the top 5 and 1st in the Big 12.

Golding has us 3 games under .500 (vs d1) and second to last place in CUSA.

Why tf did we get the short end of the stick in this exchange?
Maybe we shouldn't be ecouraging our best players to leave? Just saying. You don't cut your snowball in half before it even gets rolling.

If we all want a good teams and occasional great teams then we need to lure coaches and players to build that culture.

Maybe we shouldn't be ecouraging our best players to leave? Just saying. You don't cut your snowball in half before it even gets rolling.

If we all want a good teams and occasional great teams then we need to lure coaches and players to build that culture.
I guess that depends on how we define “culture”. While I don’t disagree with the logic of that concept, I think the days of building culture are behind us. The transfer epidemic, along with the NLI, have ensured that. I believe that will hold true for Joe Golding or any other coach brought in.

The reason I say that is it takes time to build culture. Not sure we’ll be able to keep a solid foundation of players long enough to build culture.

I think a coach may be able to put some pieces together and get lucky here and there. That’s my hope anyway.

That too or maybe our HC should be capable of recruiting his own best players.

Reactions: axingfools1
And another thing. Let’s stop with this bs narrative that Golding gave the advice to leave. It was well known mid way through the season that our 3 best players were looking to transfer out.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
UTEP wasn't the right fit. It happens.

TAMU trolls were making fun of him and UT. They're not making fun of him anymore...

not-funny-its-not-funny.gif
A&M’s coach did not strangle or bite their fiancé and humiliate their university. They are doing fine in case you have not been keeping up with college basketball.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Isn’t A&M on probation? I guess as long as it’s the less of the two evils people feel better about themselves.

I guess that depends on how we define “culture”. While I don’t disagree with the logic of that concept, I think the days of building culture are behind us. The transfer epidemic, along with the NLI, have ensured that. I believe that will hold true for Joe Golding or any other coach brought in.

The reason I say that is it takes time to build culture. Not sure we’ll be able to keep a solid foundation of players long enough to build culture.

I think a coach may be able to put some pieces together and get lucky here and there. That’s my hope anyway.
Ok so then it sounds like we need to take a risk on a proven coach that can re-establish recruiting and winning. No need to waste time on trying to build a program with a motivator who can't recruit.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Ok so then it sounds like we need to take a risk on a proven coach that can re-establish recruiting and winning. No need to waste time on trying to build a program with a motivator who can't recruit.
Maybe so. I’m not opposed to change. I’ve come to the conclusion that anyone who comes in is going to have major difficulty getting something going here. I think Golding is as likely as anyone to do that. Maybe not though.

Sadly you are probably correct. I wonder where we would be with Tang at this moment.
Maybe better off, maybe not. Hard to tell, imo. I hesitate to say no matter what he would’ve been better. Too many variables to know. I do think he could have snagged some better recruits, perhaps.

I think the advantage of plucking someone from the P5 ranks is that that coach might be able to bring along some recruits that for whatever reason it didn’t work out at that P5 school. Whether they were on the team and want to leave, or they were fringe recruits that just missed the cut but have a good relationship with that coach as a recruiter. Kind of like Barbee bringing some of the fringe Memphis guys into EP.

Maybe better off, maybe not. Hard to tell, imo. I hesitate to say no matter what he would’ve been better. Too many variables to know. I do think he could have snagged some better recruits, perhaps.

I think the advantage of plucking someone from the P5 ranks is that that coach might be able to bring along some recruits that for whatever reason it didn’t work out at that P5 school. Whether they were on the team and want to leave, or they were fringe recruits that just missed the cut but have a good relationship with that coach as a recruiter. Kind of like Barbee bringing some of the fringe Memphis guys into EP.
Look at the talent Rodney Terry brought with him from Fresno and that wasn't enough for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT