ADVERTISEMENT

Beard fired

Maybe so. I’m not opposed to change. I’ve come to the conclusion that anyone who comes in is going to have major difficulty getting something going here. I think Golding is as likely as anyone to do that. Maybe not though.
Naw. UTEP just hired the wrong coaches. Floyd - wrong
Terry - wrong
Bronzeing - likely wrong.

If FAU can pay 50% less than UTEP, play in an arena worse than Bel Air’s and Eastwood’s and be a Top 25 team, then it can happen here.

Someone will say Boca Raton is nicer than UTEP. No shit. Didn’t matter until Dusty May came in.

As long as Senter is here, he will continue to care only about money and will just hire another over paid shitty coach.

Naw. UTEP just hired the wrong coaches. Floyd - wrong
Terry - wrong
Bronzeing - likely wrong.

If FAU can pay 50% less than UTEP, play in an arena worse than Bel Air’s and Eastwood’s and be a Top 25 team, then it can happen here.

Someone will say Boca Raton is nicer than UTEP. No shit. Didn’t matter until Dusty May came in.

As long as Senter is here, he will continue to care only about money and will just hire another over paid shitty coach.
On paper those all looked like great hires.

Would be interesting to read again. I remember mostly positive posts for both those hires.
Sure, mostly positive. I believe you weren’t too “thrilled” with Terry’s hire. It’s not like we hired some guy with a career losing record or coming off a dumpster fire.

I don’t think it’s talent alone. I think there’s also a need for good coaching and some luck for pieces to fall into the right place.
Agree. There are multiple factors in play. In my opinion, talent, along with experience, and timing are key. If you look at UT's roster, it is one of the oldest and experienced rosters in college basketball. Those guys have played a ton of important D1 games, along with being talented. Add in a great staff, and resources ($$$), I am not too surprised in what Terry has done so far. You have to give him credit for keeping the team together, but at the same time, you have credit the maturity of the players as well.

I remember UTEP not even trying to convince Barbee to stick around. How much was he making 200k? They hired Floyd at 600k. Slap in the face.
Tony Barbee's overall record as a head coach is
145-163. His only winning seasons were at UTEP.
He's been a loser everywhere else including his current jobt at Central Michigan where he is 14-36.

He's been a loser everywhere else including his current jobt at Central Michigan where he is 14-36.
That’s true I guess. He is the last guy to take us to the tournament and win a conference championship. Everyone else we’ve hired has turned out to be a loser.

At UTEP, Barbee engineered a gradual turnaround, where each season improved upon the previous until he developed a team of veterans. He was great at developing players. That type of strategy doesn't work anymore, and even at Auburn, Barbee was getting hit with the beginning of the transfer epidemic. (Of course, as far as I know, he never outright drove off players like Floyd and Terry did.)

At UTEP, Barbee engineered a gradual turnaround, where each season improved upon the previous until he developed a team of veterans. He was great at developing players. That type of strategy doesn't work anymore, and even at Auburn, Barbee was getting hit with the beginning of the transfer epidemic. (Of course, as far as I know, he never outright drove off players like Floyd and Terry did.)
I'm a bit biased in my dislike for Barbee; remembering some issues (can't remember precisely what they were) where both he and his wife made some unkind remarks about El Paso and it seems like he had some negative comments about Haskins also. He sort of had a
pompous, unfriendly attitude. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm a bit biased in my dislike for Barbee; remembering some issues (can't remember precisely what they were) where both he and his wife made some unkind remarks about El Paso and it seems like he had some negative comments about Haskins also. He sort of had a
You’re wrong.

Floyd was the dick.

Barber was not fan friendly. I met at one of his meet and greet. Seemed like it was a pain for him to be there. Just the feeling I got. I always believed he was in a hurry to get out of EP. But from another thread on here, maybe he was ahead of his time.

Barber was not fan friendly. I met at one of his meet and greet. Seemed like it was a pain for him to be there. Just the feeling I got. I always believed he was in a hurry to get out of EP. But from another thread on here, maybe he was ahead of his time.
Some people aren’t gladhanders, but are good at their job. WGAF?

Reactions: develman
I had the chance to talk to Barbee on several occasions. Perhaps it was the settings, but I thought he was pretty nice guy who loved talking basketball. On one occasion early in his time at UTEP, I remember asking him which of the new guys stuck out. I remember thinking he would probably say Jason Jones. He said right away, "the little guy (Culpepper) is good, but REALLY look out for Moultrie."

He sort of had a

The one time I met him, right after UTEP won the CUSA regular season title at the Don, that's how he came off.

Isn't that what shortened the leash for Gillispie at Kentucky, not kissing the donors' rings?

Agreed. I know this is a shoddy comparison, but I love coaching. I hate all the stuff that comes with it. Talking with parents. Banquets. Even the so called fraternity of coaching I can do without.

Same here.

I liked coaching kids in basketball. You have to follow administrative/organizational rules which may be burdensome, but you have a smaller ratio and can bring change in their life. I don't get into the "award for showing up" social debate that coaches get their undies in a twist about. Helicopter parents can be a pain in the arse but a kid who doesn't get love creates longer lasting problems for themselves and society. Gangs don't form to go over if "Yoko Ono killed the Beatles?".

Organizational activities are just as important as math and reading. Goes back thousands of years.

Fine is losing to Murray St, Colorado, Boise St, Memphis, and Wofford? Two NCAA tournaments since 2011?
Yeah there is no excuse losing to those teams, especially with how well they are playing now. Agree that is pretty sad, but in those NCAA tournaments, at least they made it to the sweet 16.

How can you compare a coach watching a recruit work-out during COVID to a coach beating a woman? Are you okay?
Not comparing rather pointing out that a school on probation isn’t exactly doing “fine” as you mentioned.

I had the chance to talk to Barbee on several occasions. Perhaps it was the settings, but I thought he was pretty nice guy who loved talking basketball. On one occasion early in his time at UTEP, I remember asking him which of the new guys stuck out. I remember thinking he would probably say Jason Jones. He said right away, "the little guy (Culpepper) is good, but REALLY look out for Moultrie."
Well Floyd really F'ed that one up by not letting Moultrie test the draft. Good thing he had Rashanti Harris in his hip pocket.

I guess all the people claiming he “beat up” his girl, will be upset.

If he decides to coach next year, I doubt he ends up at NMSU. They will probably go for someone with a spotless record.

Let’s fire Senter and Golding and give both of their salaries to Beard.

Teicher can be AD for cheap.

Part of me wants to say let Golding bring him in as a recruiter while the whole thing blows over and part of me wants nothing to do with Beard...where there's smoke there's fire.

• Haha
Reactions: T-6 Miner
This doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Surely you know that
Of course it happened, but she didn’t get “beat up”. That’s why charges were dropped. Not enough evidence or cooperation from her. People that actually get “beat up”, have actual evidence from their “beating”.

Part of me wants to say let Golding bring him in as a recruiter while the whole thing blows over and part of me wants nothing to do with Beard...where there's smoke there's fire.
What someone does in their own home isn’t really “smoke”, but okay. Good thing Don Haskins isn’t coaching. Didn’t he drink at bars regularly? I guess he only drove home when his BAC was under .08? We certainly wouldn’t want some boozer coaching our team right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT