ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Offensive Line in UTEP history?

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
One of the biggest reasons why I initially bought into Kugler was because I really felt like he had the right priorities of where to build a Football Program. Now that he has spent 3 years building a Program here, we are really starting to see some solid roster results from his disciplined philosophy. The EP Times mentioned today how we have almost 3 strings at every position(this is a credit to Kugler properly rebalancing the Offensive/Defensive Scholarships equally). Kugler inherited a Program that had more WR's than DL's and he promised to begin building our Program the right way, which is on the lines-of-scrimmage. A good example of this is the O-Line. Kugler says that we will have 20 O-Linemen to start next season. We currently have 7 different O-Lineman who have already started at least one game for us. And additionally, I am wondering if this will be the biggest O-Line in school history? Assuming that Gatewood wins his starting spot back in the fall( he earned a Starting Job as a RS Freshman last year before being hurt against FAU) then our Starting O-Line looks like this:

LT - Daniels 6-3, 305.
LG - Hernandez 6-3, 340.
C - Gatewood 6-3, 315.
RG - DeLaRosa 6-6, 325.
RT - Brooks 6-5, 330.

This means that our Offensive Line will average 6-4, 323 pounds next year. I am wondering if this will be the biggest O-Line in school history?, combining that size with so much experience should mean good things for our running game. Plus these guys still have the entire summer to keep getting bigger and stronger.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sp...p-finds-new-starters-veteran-o-line/82080882/

Last edited:
Last Year Arkansas had the biggest line in all of football with an average of 328 pounds, the Chargers had the largest line in the NFL at 326 Pounds. The Buffalo Bills had the 2nd biggest O-Line in the NFL at 322 pounds and the Florida Gators had the 2nd biggest O-Line in the NCAA at 320 pounds.

Having the biggest O-Line doesn't always equal great success, but at 323 pounds UTEP should have an O-Line that is bigger than most NFL teams and a line that is as big(if not bigger) than most SEC teams. I doubt that UTEP has ever had an O-Line like this in regards to size, so I welcome giving this a chance. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Reactions: Tucson_Miner
No doubt about his work from the line of scrimmage outwards. However, its obvious he is still in the hunt for that durable rb who can last the season, a la La Tech. Look at last years recruiting class. Jones going down with injury put UTEP season in jeopardy too early the last 2 plus years. Kugler loves that "big"package like a hobo loves a ham sandwich and he needs that rb who can get that yardage on 3rd and 3 against a La Tech or Rice come November.

Reactions: Tucson_Miner
Im really excited about the new offense. People i trust are saying the passing game is looking better than it has in years. That oline will be good. I hope Gatewood doesnt have any setbacks in his recovery. I think hes our best olineman, its rare a kid can that can play all five posistions on the line. I dont know if we've ever had as many weapons on offense as we do now. Its a spoil of riches at the skill posistions.

On defense, the thing ive heard is how fast they are. I dont know if we've ever had this much speed on defense. I think the 3-4 is a perfect fit for this team. I cant wait for the season to start.

No doubt about his work from the line of scrimmage outwards. However, its obvious he is still in the hunt for that durable rb who can last the season, a la La Tech. Look at last years recruiting class. Jones going down with injury put UTEP season in jeopardy too early the last 2 plus years. Kugler loves that "big"package like a hobo loves a ham sandwich and he needs that rb who can get that yardage on 3rd and 3 against a La Tech or Rice come November.

Antonio Dupree our 220lb big back signee from Ohio. He had offers from Ohio State, Iowa and Maryland. Its probably the first time we ever stole a player from Ohio State. Hes the big back you wanted.

Reactions: UTEPy79
WOW! I remember hearing the BYU linemen laughing at the UTEP offensive line that averaged about 225 lbs. at a game in the mid 70's. BYU had a fullback that year (in the 70's) that weighed about 245 lbs. He looked like a human bowling ball and our D-line was the pens. Kugler has delivered on his promise. Looking forward to this season.

That is a massive O-Line. It would be one thing if all these kids were fat messes that couldn't play, but it seems like there is legit talent in the trenches. I really hope the passing game comes along because that will only help these guys because teams won't be able to stack the box against the run. Anyone have any word on how the defense is coming along? Because none of this matters if we're giving up 40 plus a game all over again.

Kug will be hard pressed to find an rb durable enough to handle the workload.

If you didn't notice, Jones became 90% of our offense last year. I knew it wouldn't beer long before he broke the poor kid...

My all time favorite big back was the human bowling ball, George Woodard, Fullback, Texas A&M Aggies, 1975-78: The enormous Woodard went 6'0", 280 pounds. He won district track meets in high school by running the 100-yard dash in 9.9 and tossing a shot put well over 62 feet. His thighs each measured three feet around. During his four years at A&M, playing in the Wishbone Offense of coach Emory Bellard, the Aggies won 36 and lost 12. He also played in the Sun Bowl one year. Great college player never did do much in the pros.

My all time favorite big back was the human bowling ball, George Woodard, Fullback, Texas A&M Aggies, 1975-78: The enormous Woodard went 6'0", 280 pounds. He won district track meets in high school by running the 100-yard dash in 9.9 and tossing a shot put well over 62 feet. His thighs each measured three feet around. During his four years at A&M, playing in the Wishbone Offense of coach Emory Bellard, the Aggies won 36 and lost 12. He also played in the Sun Bowl one year. Great college player never did do much in the pros.
He basically ended Parade All-American Lance Taylor's college and highly anticipated Pro career. The last game of the season against aTm, Texas winning easily, game in 4th quarter, and Taylor (he was also college All-American) still playing middle linebacker. o_O Woodard up the middle and as he did all day, Taylor tackles him. But Taylor separates his shoulder badly! :eek: Taylor misses Cotton Bowl against Notre Dame. Irish run up the middle all day long and win the National Title! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I remember he really couldn't go left or right and had no moves but if he got up to full speed he was almost unstoppable. Lance was a player too, horned rims and all.

Reactions: e-rick
1980+ROBERT+NEWHOUSE+2_38934307_968279.JPG

Robert Newhouse had arguably the biggest thighs in the NFL at 44 inches.

I was at the scrimmage this morning. Metz ran the first team with Little Mack getting the reps with the Number 2's. The line did well and backs ran well. One of the defensive players appeared to have a serious leg injury on the first play from scrimmage. Not sure who he was but I think he was a DB. Defense still looks to be a work in progress. Still seem to be confused at times in coverage on certain route combinations. Our receivers and TE's are solid and very athletic. The Jones brothers were both out with injuries but Alvin ran some non-contact drills and Aaron was doing sprints. The offense doesn't look fully installed but looks like our offense will be able to move the ball and score. Lots of speed, lots of weapons.

Reactions: Rot and UTEPDefense
Thanks for the write-up, I am looking forward to the Spring Game. Miner Rush said that Cockrell is the DB who got hurt, which would be a real shame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT