ADVERTISEMENT

Brace for epic Miner jinx

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
Currently, team is playing like the 1992 Miners that went to the Sweet 16. Guards are controlling the pace of the game and the inside players are physical and sweeping anything in the paint. Above all, the D is frustrating other teams and Miners are limiting opponents to 1 shot each time down court. Confidence is also very high and there are 7-8 contributing in each game. Don't want to jinx the team but while this isn't the most talented team, they are playing the best "team" ball I've seen since 92.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Currently, team is playing like the 1992 Miners that went to the Sweet 16. Guards are controlling the pace of the game and the inside players are physical and sweeping anything in the paint. Above all, the D is frustrating other teams and Miners are limiting opponents to 1 shot each time down court. Confidence is also very high and there are 7-8 contributing in each game. Don't want to jinx the team but while this isn't the most talented team, they are playing the best "team" ball I've seen since 92.

Nice post, but I think Gillispie's team that won 27 games had unbelievable chemistry.

I have to say I see the same things you are seeing. I think the key now is having a good start in the first half of their remaining games and we got a shot at winning the conference tournament.

Mmm, agree to some extent. The guard play and the way Harris and Dominic control the tempo is so similar to what Rivera and Stewart did. You can even add Touchet as this team's version of Bryce, although surprisingly, I think Touchet is bringing more to the table defensively lately than we expected. Though our rebounding has improved, I don't see this team as having the prowness the 92 team had on the boards. Good comparison. Better than what a buddy of mine said to me the other day...hey, isn't what this team is doing similar to what the 66 team did? Admittedly he's not that up and current with Miner BB history, lol.

Nice post, but I think Gillispie's team that won 27 games had unbelievable chemistry.
I agree, that was a great team and Barbees last team was outstanding as well but while those teams could win games on talent alone, just overwhelm opponents, I think that this team has to rely on fundamental basketball. Great to watch. This is what I term Miner basketball.

As we can see this Miner team is playing better without some of the star or gifted players.
A lot of times this so called superstars make the other players feel inferior.

Go Miners...

As we can see this Miner team is playing better without some of the star or gifted players.
A lot of times this so called superstars make the other players feel inferior.

Go Miners...

Who would you consider our last "star" player to be?

'92 players were good friends. They were seen everywhere and hung out together a lot. I remember seeing them sitting together at the southeast end of the Sun Bowl for football games.

For basketball, this is very common. But when you get any group of young people who play on a court day in, day out for hours on end, all of them get to know each other's moves really well, same goes for football, but basketball you're squeezed into a much tinier box with guys who can range from 5'3" to 7'1" and the game is constantly moving. That is where true chemistry develops. This current team is a little far from there because Wilms and Thomas do not appear to be on the same page with D.A. and Omega at times, but the offense CTF has them running now at this point in time slightly negates what is lacking in the chemistry department because CTF offense demands a player to be in a spot position during ball movement (high, low, kick out if not open inside). This is working now as compared to a Hardaway/Davis chemistry of the 80's. Two former Miners who had really good chemistry was Henry Hall and Mark McCall (but I realize Hall leaves a bad taste in some Miner fans mouth).

Well, I for one hope that history repeats itself. Having some positive Mojo has been long overdue in this dusty ol' cowtown.

I like your way of thinking, but if win win the play in game, we would face a #1 seed, not ucla. BTW, Ball is the glue on that team. Dude is bad a$$.

If UTEP plays in the play-in game and wins they will most likely be playing North Carolina or Villanova. UCLA is projected to be a 4 seed.

You guys are thinking too small. Allminer meant to say is that after winning the play in game then beating North Carolina and then the winner of Arkansas vs Northwestern then we will send Alex Hamilton packing in the sweet 16. It will be sweet revenge for Floyd and the IH curse will finally be broken.

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?iteration=235&region=2&year=2017

Substitute UTEP for Texas Southern.

Reactions: allminer
I was watching some of the Cal/Oregon game last night and I thought it would be a cool story if UTEP beat Oregon in the tourney, DA gets his revenge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT