ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Stevens

Tucson_Miner

MI Regular
Nov 24, 2004
does anyone have an update on the JC forward UTEP offered a few months back? His name was Bruce Stevens. He would be one hell of a signing but not sure where that's at.

Reactions: topminer
As of late last week. " Ole Miss is looking to add offense at the four. Hymon and Justas Furmanavicius combined to average only 10.0 points per game this season. Ideally, the Rebels would land a player whose offense isn’t reliant on put-back opportunities at the rim, but rather can step out and make shots outside of 10 feet. Jones Community College forward Bruce Stevens is an option, and Ole Miss has kicked the tires on former Memphis and Virginia forward Austin Nichols, though the SEC’s new rules regarding previous disciplinary issues for transfers makes it all but impossible for the Rebels to add him. "

http://www.scout.com/college/ole-miss/story/1761996-ole-miss-bounced-from-sec-tournament

It's down to the wire between UTEP and Ole Miss. Brewer has not signed yet and they too are after him and UTEP and Ole Miss are after Stevens as well.

The article below states that UTEP has also offered a JC player from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College:

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/article133350779.html

"The highest-profile player is sophomore Davion Cole-Johnson, who has received offers from Southern Miss, Iowa State, Jacksonville State, UTEP, Nicholls State and Arkansas-Little Rock. Cole-Johnson did his part for MGCCC Thursday, scoring 20 points with eight rebounds two assists, three steals and one block."

It also mentions that Stevens went on an unofficial visit in February to Ole Miss. It would be something to snag him out of the deep south. I haven't seen anywhere where it is down to UTEP and Ole' Miss though. Hope that is the case.

Last edited:
I do agree that he jammed on a bunch of kids but the video is from 2015 but he is a big body and UTEP hasn't had someone like that in a while. Someone who can push bodies and clear out for rebounds.

Georgetown offered Bruce Stevens this past week: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/bruce-stevens

I know that a lot of people appear to be excited about possibly getting this guy, but I have not heard of any type of recent link between UTEP and Stevens?

Next Signing Period is April 12, so if we are going to sign anybody else, then official visits should be happening soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Georgetown offered Bruce Stevens this past week: http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/bruce-stevens

I know that a lot of people appear to be excited about possibly getting this guy, but I have not heard of any type of recent link between UTEP and Stevens?

Next Signing Period is April 12, so if we are going to sign anybody else, then official visits should be happening soon.

We are not getting this guy... would be pleased if I am wrong but not likely

Reactions: Lil_Train
Actually, if one scrolls up just two posts from yours, it was mentioned there, also.
Great to see TD on the board!!! It will be interesting to see if both Brewer and St. Pierre both sign late. St. Pierre seems like a hard commit, but not so sure on Brewer. If all the new guys make it in, that would be 8 new guys for next year. That is also the number Floyd mentioned during the early signing period.

Great to see TD on the board!!! It will be interesting to see if both Brewer and St. Pierre both sign late. St. Pierre seems like a hard commit, but not so sure on Brewer. If all the new guys make it in, that would be 8 new guys for next year. That is also the number Floyd mentioned during the early signing period.

Man, that's over 60% of our roster being newbies. Pretty sure that constitutes as being another "rebuilding" year. Several of these guys need to be studs who can make an immediate impact or it's going to be another frustrating year.

I'll admit, I don't know much about St. Pierre. What's his game like? What do you see him bringing to the table if he does sign?

Not much is known on St. Pierre; I don't think he even played basketball his senior year. He was scheduled to have surgery to remove scar tissue from his kidney just last month; with an anticipated 4-6 week recovery time. I can't imagine how he could come in right away and contribute. Looks like a red shirt candidate for next year in my opinion; which as we have mentioned previously, still counts against our scholarship number. St. Pierre is listed at 6'9", 245 lbs, and he has also played football. So hopefully he is in the same mold as Cedric Lang.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Man, that's over 60% of our roster being newbies. Pretty sure that constitutes as being another "rebuilding" year. Several of these guys need to be studs who can make an immediate impact or it's going to be another frustrating year.

I'll admit, I don't know much about St. Pierre. What's his game like? What do you see him bringing to the table if he does sign?
Not the correct way to look at it actually.
Here's how to look at next year realistically and optimistically:
We lose Artis only, Big loss, but we return 80% of our scoring and 90% of our rebounding. Now we do lose 50% of our assists. We also return our front court and add more athletic wing players as well as a long athletic guard who can shoot and has been in the program a year in Isaiah Osborne. Trey Touchet got infinitely better towards the end of the season made few mistakes and can score when asked. Add an ultra talented Gilyard and we have a two deep PG position and I'm not so sure Floyd doesn't pick up a graduate transfer as well. Ok now you replace Flaggert in the starting line up with Williams, Smith, or Brewer and you instantly upgrade your wing not to mention much needed depth at that position. Nothing changes in front court, St. Pier will redshirt likely, and Willms and Jones will split time and Paul Thomas has the 4 locked down, with 3 6-6/6-7 guys backing him up. So technically no its not a rebuilding year, it's building upon the blocks already in place, cause the only player we lost that contributed was Artis.

Pretty thorough analysis Natty and it occurs to me that you don't even mention Trey Wade, Kobe Magee, Deon Barrett and Tim Cameron. All four of those have some resumes to consider as well. We saw a little bit of Barrett and Cameron, but not enough to say anything more than "the jury is still out".
Knowing that our coach will be back again for another try to me means that if this is what we've got then it's in everyone's best interest to support him and the players. Some will continue to sulk and bitch, but the sooner they come to terms with reality; the sooner their nervous system will settle down.

Not the correct way to look at it actually.
Here's how to look at next year realistically and optimistically:
We lose Artis only, Big loss, but we return 80% of our scoring and 90% of our rebounding. Now we do lose 50% of our assists. We also return our front court and add more athletic wing players as well as a long athletic guard who can shoot and has been in the program a year in Isaiah Osborne. Trey Touchet got infinitely better towards the end of the season made few mistakes and can score when asked. Add an ultra talented Gilyard and we have a two deep PG position and I'm not so sure Floyd doesn't pick up a graduate transfer as well. Ok now you replace Flaggert in the starting line up with Williams, Smith, or Brewer and you instantly upgrade your wing not to mention much needed depth at that position. Nothing changes in front court, St. Pier will redshirt likely, and Willms and Jones will split time and Paul Thomas has the 4 locked down, with 3 6-6/6-7 guys backing him up. So technically no its not a rebuilding year, it's building upon the blocks already in place, cause the only player we lost that contributed was Artis.

I've got no issues with you natty, and I can appreciate your point of view. I hope you're right. But you are also the guy who, in December, was still saying that we were going to win 20 games. I remember when you came to your reckoning that it wasn't gonna happen. So...I'm going to leave you to look at things optimistically, and I'm just gonna continue to look at things as they are.

In my opinion you are making too many assumptions based on wishful thinking. You may turn out to be right in some of your predictions, and you may not. The jury is still out on ALL of the unknowns and unproven guys.

I do agree with you on the idea of having some building blocks in place. However we need an upgrade at one position, we need a major replacement at another, and we need more depth than we had this year and those aspects are going to have to come from that 60% of our squad that is unknown.

I hope to god that the Miners have a more successful season next year. As much as anyone on this board hopes. But I'm more than comfortable/confident seeing things the way I see them, and make no mistake about it, it is the "correct" way for ME to look at it. To each their own.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I've got no issues with you natty, and I can appreciate your point of view. I hope you're right. But you are also the guy who, in December, was still saying that we were going to win 20 games. I remember when you came to your reckoning that it wasn't gonna happen. So...I'm going to leave you to look at things optimistically, and I'm just gonna continue to look at things as they are.

In my opinion you are making too many assumptions based on wishful thinking. You may turn out to be right in some of your predictions, and you may not. The jury is still out on ALL of the unknowns and unproven guys.

I do agree with you on the idea of having some building blocks in place. However we need an upgrade at one position, we need a major replacement at another, and we need more depth than we had this year and those aspects are going to have to come from that 60% of our squad that is unknown.

I hope to god that the Miners have a more successful season next year. As much as anyone on this board hopes. But I'm more than comfortable/confident seeing things the way I see them, and make no mistake about it, it is the "correct" way for ME to look at it. To each their own.
I didn't predict a NCAA I simply stated a mix of facts and hopes lol. That's all we can do as Miner fans with Floyd, hope for the best and expect the worse. With that said I expected more than accepted les then was surprised that they rebounded. So I literally have no expectations for next year, but we do have blocks to build and some talent coming in to help, that's all I said.

Last edited:
Actually Natty, except for a couple of unforeseen circumcisions (Wynn and Wilms early problems, we easily could of won 20.

Deon Barrett is absolutely critical IMO. If UTEP can get more of the Deon we saw at UNM then things should look more upbeat. I realize he played a back up role with DA, Harris and Touchet but with DA gone, he will have to be more assertive. Miner fans can't say he doesn't have that much experience (coming into next year) because one thing Floyd did do right was give him a lot of PT.

Reactions: nattybry
Deon Barrett is absolutely critical IMO. If UTEP can get more of the Deon we saw at UNM then things should look more upbeat. I realize he played a back up role with DA, Harris and Touchet but with DA gone, he will have to be more assertive. Miner fans can't say he doesn't have that much experience (coming into next year) because one thing Floyd did do right was give him a lot of PT.

He shot lights out that game and showed that he can score from outside. What we will need even more from him is the ability to drive and dish. That is a part of his game that we did not get to see very much of, whether that be by design from CTF reigning him in, or him not having that capacity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT