ADVERTISEMENT

BSU vs UTEP

Getting rid of the football team won't turn us into Gonzaga, and then we won't have a football team anymore.
Correct. UTEP won’t automatically turn into Gonzaga, they would be more like UT-Arlington. Stop with the Gonzaga talk, every mid-major says that and nobody will be able to do it. Gonzaga is a basketball heavyweight now. They get top prospects and play other heavyweights in the non-conference.

100 other D1 schools have found a way???
Football schools field more women's teams to comply with Title IX (50/50 men's/women's scholarships). If we drop the football team, not as many women's sports will be needed to comply with Title IX.

UTEP without a football team would be kicked out of CUSA but could probably join the WAC to replace NMSU who is joining... CUSA. Super.

Football schools field more women's teams to comply with Title IX (50/50 men's/women's scholarships). If we drop the football team, not as many women's sports will be needed to comply with Title IX.

UTEP without a football team would be kicked out of CUSA but could probably join the WAC to replace NMSU who is joining... CUSA. Super.
To be D1, you need a minimum of 7 womens team sports. So, UTEP might cut 3 womens sports??

To be D1, you need a minimum of 7 womens team sports. So, UTEP might cut 3 womens sports??
Just like UT Arlington.

Maybe UTEP would finally be able to add baseball, though, so there's that. All the UTEP baseball fans could go watch the UTEP baseball team instead of football.

I don't know if we'd lose D1 status, but at a minimum we'd cut 85 women scholarships. Probably would be closer to 100 because of the revenue loss unless basketball is able to pickup the slack.
You’re assuming there is even “revenue” that the football team actually grosses. In response to cheerleader man’s post, he insinuates that UTEP would lose a ton of womens sports. If they want to remain D1, they would need at least 7, so they would only drop 3 at max. I am not even sure rifle and tennis are “team sports”.

No, but without the football team, we would probably have to actually add men's teams to comply with Title IX. Without football, we only field 4 men's teams. Might as well be baseball, since so many people say they want it.
I am not sure you HAVE TO have the same amount of mens scholarships as women. You have to for women, but I am not sure you CANNOT have less for men.

Why are you even here if you don't want a football team to follow?

I'm a glutton for punishment? Besides, I asked pretty generically as a conversational question for discussion. If you have no interest in participating in a discussion about whether or not to have a team there's no need to get involved. Just skip on over the question.

I am not sure you HAVE TO have the same amount of mens scholarships as women. You have to for women, but I am not sure you CANNOT have less for men.
The proportion of scholarships on the basis of sex is supposed to closely resemble the proportion of the overall student population.

"Title IX requires that schools treat both sexes equally
with regard to three distinct aspects of athletics: participation
opportunities, athletics scholarships and treatment of male
and female teams. These requirements are set forth in the
Title IX regulations, and in agency interpretations and guid-
ances.28 The regulations were promulgated in 1975, and were
accepted by Congress."

The test most schools use to show compliance is:

"males and females participate in athletics in
numbers substantially proportional to their
enrollment numbers"

https://www.ncwge.org/PDF/TitleIXat35.pdf

I'm a glutton for punishment? Besides, I asked pretty generically as a conversational question for discussion. If you have no interest in participating in a discussion about whether or not to have a team there's no need to get involved. Just skip on over the question.
I just think it's a stupid suggestion for a supposed UTEP fan to make to shut down the programs we gather here to cheer for. If you want to stop watching the football team nobody's stopping you.

Reactions: Cube Jack
I just think it's a stupid suggestion for a supposed UTEP fan to make to shut down the programs we gather here to cheer for. If you want to stop watching the football team nobody's stopping you.

That is correct. And I stopped watching the debacle against UNM partway thru the 2nd quarter last week. I watch when I watch and don't when I don't.

Does this bother you? Why? I'm just guy you've never known and wouldn't ever want to hang out with while drinking beer and watching a UTEP game. So why are you so triggered about a little question I posed? Besides, I'm not the first to broach the subject yet I don't see you attacking other 'diggers.

That is correct. And I stopped watching the debacle against UNM partway thru the 2nd quarter last week. I watch when I watch and don't when I don't.

Does this bother you? Why? I'm just guy you've never known and wouldn't ever want to hang out with while drinking beer and watching a UTEP game. So why are you so triggered about a little question I posed? Besides, I'm not the first to broach the subject yet I don't see you attacking other 'diggers.
It's just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

You’re assuming there is even “revenue” that the football team actually grosses. In response to cheerleader man’s post, he insinuates that UTEP would lose a ton of womens sports. If they want to remain D1, they would need at least 7, so they would only drop 3 at max. I am not even sure rifle and tennis are “team sports”.
According to the below link football had net profits of over 2 million. Interesting little bit of information is that scholarship female athletes get more money spent on them then men scholarship athletes.

According to the below link football had net profits of over 2 million. Interesting little bit of information is that scholarship female athletes get more money spent on them then men scholarship athletes.

Probably economies of scale. If you need to charter a flight or a bus for the much larger football team, it's probably cheaper per player than having to charter one for the softball team.

None of that is sourced and is claiming that only womens basketball ran a deficit. I hardly believe that is the case.

Not much love for Boise as they struggle as well. However, their “struggling” is an efficient game for UTEP.

Our stats our horrid for pass completion plays.

Yup. UTEP is just what the Dr ordered for any struggling team.

BSU - 38
UTEP- 0

If we can’t put up more than 13 vs UNT, NMSU or UNM I can’t see us getting much or anything vs Boise.

Last edited:
So we can look fondly back at the 2010 NM Bowl!
Pretty much any NM Bowl would let us reminisce about the old times when we used to be conference mates with our opponents. Maybe by 2030 we'll make a Frisco bowl and get lucky to play more former conference teams like UNT or RICE.

100 other D1 schools have found a way???
Utep athletic dept. gets no money from the state of Texas. No college in Texas gets money from the state!
Other university’s don’t have that same problem. New Mexico and NMSU get money from the state legislature.

Utep athletic dept. gets no money from the state of Texas. No college in Texas gets money from the state!
Other university’s don’t have that same problem. New Mexico and NMSU get money from the state legislature.
UT-Arlington is D1 and has no football team.

UTSA has the same problem then right? They also do not get money from other events held at the Alamodome, while UTEP gets money from other events held at the Sun Bowl right? How did they overcome this disadvantage?

No, but without the football team, we would probably have to actually add men's teams to comply with Title IX. Without football, we only field 4 men's teams. Might as well be baseball, since so many people say they want it.
Actually 5... remember indoor and outdoor track are separate. There must be either 7/7 women to men's ratio or 8/6. Without football you lose beach volleyball, volleyball, soccer, rifle, tennis and softball. Now you have only 5 women's sports and kiss goodbye your D1 status.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT