ADVERTISEMENT

Calling my shot

Fresno State?! Get the hell out of here with their uneducated fan. All he needs to do is research the tradition between the two schools. Research the history, financial support, fan support, attendance, players, coaches, etc. Granted the MW is a better conference but Fresno is the same boat as UTEP. Both teams have done nothing. The big question is where the programs are heading and where the coach is heading in his life. Bashing UTEP just shows ignorance.

Does anyone think there will even be a formal announcement about phil johnson and staff? I do not think we will ever heard the words fired come from the university. Maybe im wrong, but I would have made a statement the following morning of the final game that he was not coming back and thanked him. Now the countdown clock begins.

And mine say Steve Forbes
The deal elevates Forbes' annual base salary to $400,000, with an external relations stipend at $50,000 and yearly retention bonus of $200,000. His buyout is $500,000.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22503555/steve-forbes-east-tennessee-state-agree-extension

Not going to happen.

AD's and staff lie this time of year, but he did not deny, he flat out said "he turned down the job" (as per KFOX). When that comes from the coaches mouth, then that's a different story.

Just total "gut", it will be either Terry or Foster. However, if it's them and Ogden, either one I will be ok with.

I don't want Foster to get the job because the NBA guy/HC has totally flopped all over in CUSA alone and I don't want to go through the Kugler experiment again. As a die in the wool Miner fan and alum, that was painful.

I’m with you hoping it’s not Foster. The sentimental hire earned us the worst record in college football this past season. I say we hire with our head and not our heart but I’m worried. When talking with my father about a new coach the first name he threw out there was Foster because he’s a Miner. I just hope the old folks (Natalicio and Adauto) at UTEP aren’t thinking the same way.

I imagine hiring Foster would be what boosters want since it would be their best hope to return to the days when they were put above everyone else.

Reactions: utep2step
Im gonna say, the likelihood of Foster is very low. Why would we have waited even this long...

If its Foster make the announcement and be done with it. I have hope its Ogden. Being associate head coach at Tech, the wait would be longer. The longer we wait the less likelihood that its Foster. Im shooting for new faces. New coaching trees. New and improved expectations.

I want to know where ETSU has that kind of money?

Anyways, Fresno is a football first school and UTEP is opposite. Their coach is talking the "Who me?! I'm focused on this team right now" post season jargon that has them feeling it's him. Their fish wrap writers aren't stupid.

Reactions: topminer
How confident are you in your source? Thought Forbes was out of the picture. I’d be stoked too, if he ends up our guy.

Not solid. But honestly what is right now?

Get someone camping out at the airport watching all incoming flights....

I imagine hiring Foster would be what boosters want since it would be their best hope to return to the days when they were put above everyone else.

I get those old school boosters give WAY more money than I do. But you know what? F*CK them and what they want. They sat there for all those years while Bob Stull kissed heir butts while he drove UTEP into the ground. If they want to return to the glory days they need to give money and let Senter do his job.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I get those old school boosters give WAY more money than I do. But you know what? F*CK them and what they want. They sat there for all those years while Bob Stull kissed heir butts while he drove UTEP into the ground. If they want to return to the glory days they need to give money and let Senter do his job.

The longer this truth settles in, the more I loathe Bob Stull. He set this program back years and years. He wasn’t exactly an internal wrecking ball but rather he was like the elements that slowly decay the corpse of something that was once vibrantly alive.

Ok, “vibrantly alive” may be a stretch. Perhaps a more accurate description would be “among the living “.

Last edited:
Senter went safe for football with Dimel, not splashy. That leads me to Terry. I think the program needs consistency and Terry can provide that. I like it.

I remember how the boosters ran everything back during Brad Hovious and John Thompson. That early 90s NCAA sanction really hit the program hard, though no one noticed at first since we had a good team already at the time. In many ways the program never recovered.

As much as I want to blame the fans who do not show up to games, or the fans who refuse to donate any money money to the UTEP Athletic Department for the decline of UTEP Athletics, a large amount of blame has to be laid at the feet of Bob Stull and the “big money” boosters who feel entitled to call shots. They had multiple chances to right the ship the last ten years in both football and basketball and they have done nothing but “keep it in the family” and bomb every decision along the way. If they have UTEP’s best interests at heart they should butt out of any part of the decision making process. These are the same people that wanted Floyd to stay at UTEP year after year.
This really is a good reason why people should give to the Athletic Department. We do not have some rich benefactor that gives so much money that Senter would have no choice but to kiss up and make them happy. If everyone gave just a little then they won’t be missed if they don’t like the decisions that are made. They can pull their money and go support NMSU for all I care.
At this point I hope these old boosters are pissed with the coaching hires because that means we probably made the right hire.

Not solid. But honestly what is right now?

Get someone camping out at the airport watching all incoming flights....
There's an app for that. I remember when Kentucky was in a quiet talks with Billy. A fan confirmed his hire when they noticed a direct flight of a private jet from Texas that was not a typical flight route and sure enough it was him.

As much as I want to blame the fans who do not show up to games, or the fans who refuse to donate any money money to the UTEP Athletic Department for the decline of UTEP Athletics, a large amount of blame has to be laid at the feet of Bob Stull and the “big money” boosters who feel entitled to call shots. They had multiple chances to right the ship the last ten years in both football and basketball and they have done nothing but “keep it in the family” and bomb every decision along the way. If they have UTEP’s best interests at heart they should butt out of any part of the decision making process. These are the same people that wanted Floyd to stay at UTEP year after year.
This really is a good reason why people should give to the Athletic Department. We do not have some rich benefactor that gives so much money that Senter would have no choice but to kiss up and make them happy. If everyone gave just a little then they won’t be missed if they don’t like the decisions that are made. They can pull their money and go support NMSU for all I care.
At this point I hope these old boosters are pissed with the coaching hires because that means we probably made the right hire.

Attending out of town games shows me how people don't realize how many people DO show up for UTEP games. If 4000 fans show up to a UTEP basketball game we hear how the arena was "empty". If 4000 people attended a UTSA basketball game they'd be ecstatic because it would literally be a sellout.

Reactions: miner1liner
Attending out of town games shows me how people don't realize how many people DO show up for UTEP games. If 4000 fans show up to a UTEP basketball game we hear how the arena was "empty". If 4000 people attended a UTSA basketball game they'd be ecstatic because it would literally be a sellout.

Fair point. UTEP has had very good attendance for a program that has been underperforming as of late. But we can’t be proud of that either.... that’s the old Bob Stull “turn crap into ‘craponade’” excuse. My point is that UTEP has always been financially strapped when it came to hiring big name coaches etc. And a lot of that has been because of the piss poor fundraising efforts on behalf of Bob Stull himself. He was more concerned with keeping the few big donors that UTEP has happy. And that meant keeping Tim Floyd way longer than necessary. Now whether that was because he was too weak to fire his friend, or some donors had his ear it was inexcusable that the Athletic Department was in cruise control the last 7 or 8 years with so much turbulence in college athletics.

Tell me you are not using UTSA as a gauge for us to determine what acceptable Miner attendance is. They play in a glorified HS gym and have zero history. I’m sure I don’t need to remind you of any facts in regards to our program. We need to set the bar higher as a whole. Need to be realistic too, but definitely higher.

If we win then we can average 8-10k easily. If we blow up and have several high level years/players, then we will blow away CUSA in attendance. We were on the verge before Barbee left. The hire right now is extremely important for our future and potential change in affiliation. Win and money will come. UTEP has to invest in a plan now. If the new coach wins and then leaves, we need to be able to hire the next coach that will keep the ball rolling. Win and everybody will forget all this crap.

I like Ogden, Sanchez then Forbes

I have nothing against Foster, but if he is hired he has to be on a very short leash so to speak. He will have to show that he can keep players, recruit, knows X&Os and win in a very short time frame given the state of our program. Im talking like 2 years, not 5 years.

I'm not really sure what to think about Terry.

Tell me you are not using UTSA as a gauge for us to determine what acceptable Miner attendance is. They play in a glorified HS gym and have zero history. I’m sure I don’t need to remind you of any facts in regards to our program. We need to set the bar higher as a whole. Need to be realistic too, but definitely higher.

That's just one program. MTSU had the highest attendance in the conference and it took them having to promote the possibility of winning the attendance title and some of the highest attended games in their history to do so. UTEP was 3rd, meaning 11 programs (including WKU and Marshall) had lower attendance. I've been to many away games and seen programs that would love to have what we consider "empty" at our games.

That's just one program. MTSU had the highest attendance in the conference and it took them having to promote the possibility of winning the attendance title and some of the highest attended games in their history to do so. UTEP was 3rd, meaning 11 programs (including WKU and Marshall) had lower attendance. I've been to many away games and seen programs that would love to have what we consider "empty" at our games.

Maybe I’ve been away too long and don’t have a grasp on reality but rather than lower expectations to our competition I’d rather raise expectations to where we used be, attendance wise. Where we could be again. 6000 and some change is nothing big to be proud of. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Maybe I’ve been away too long and don’t have a grasp on reality but rather than lower expectations to our competition I’d rather raise expectations to where we used be, attendance wise. Where we could be again. 6000 and some change is nothing big to be proud of. Just my opinion.
I'm at damn near every game and I totally agree with you

Reactions: EPTUTEP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT