ADVERTISEMENT

Can FBS And FCS football teams be in the same conference?

I mean, their new stadium is fine, but it doesn't blow me away. What makes it light years ahead of the Sun Bowl?

Southern_Methodist_vs._North_Texas_football_2018_03_%28Green_Brigade_Marching_Band%29.jpg
Their stadium is nice. They left us behind when they built the 20 million ipf. They have a 20 year light the tower campaign going on right now. By the time they're done I don't think we'll ever be able to catch up.

Their stadium is nice. They left us behind when they built the 20 million ipf. They have a 20 year light the tower campaign going on right now. By the time they're done I don't think we'll ever be able to catch up.
I like the Sun Bowl more. Their stadium looks like any other 30,000-seat stadium. I don't see the big deal. It lacks character.

No argument that they certainly spent some money on their indoor practice facility.

How much of their Light the Tower Campaign is currently funded? 20 years is a long time.

Apples to Oranges. UNT won plenty of Conference Championships pre-FBS. Their stadium was old and had a track around it.

Then there’s this:
“ Fouts Field was in notoriously poor condition for FBS football in its final years; most notably, one of the power outlets in the press box would cause the entire venue to lose power if used.”

And

“Despite the addition of artificial turf in 2005, the electric wiring throughout the venue was often faulty, mold easily grew in the weight room and press boxes, and old plumbing pipes that ran under the playing field often created a horrible stench on the North Texas sideline during hot August and September games.”

Can you find similar instances that ever described the Sun Bowl that way?
That makes it even worse. We were in one of the strogest conferences while they were winning all those incredible Lone Star and Gulf Star championships.

Anyways fast forward to today and their fbs record, and they've had 6 winning seasons the last 26 years. We're one win away from five winning seasons in the same period. Theres not much difference.

I like the Sun Bowl more. Their stadium looks like any other 30,000-seat stadium. I don't see the big deal. It lacks character.

No argument that they certainly spent some money on their indoor practice facility.

How much of their Light the Tower Campaign is currently funded? 20 years is a long time.
Stadium is just a small part of the facilities arm race.

That's their master plan. They've done the first two things on it.

That makes it even worse. We were in one of the strogest conferences while they were winning all those incredible Lone Star and Gulf Star championships.

Anyways fast forward to today and their fbs record, and they've had 6 winning seasons the last 26 years. We're one win away from five winning seasons in the same period. Theres not much difference.
They’re not in the AAC because of Apogee Stadium though. Their old one needed replacing and needless to say, they won’t be replacing it for a long, long time.

Just saying, they might have had “investors” because they really needed a new stadium.

They’re not in the AAC because of Apogee Stadium though. Their old one needed replacing and needless to say, they won’t be replacing it for a long, long time.

Just saying, they might have had “investors” because they really needed a new stadium.
They're there because they're spending money on athletics. Theyre about to buyout their 2 million coach, pay an entrance fee to the aac, and possibly an exit fee to cusa.

Despite not having too much success they're able to raise the money for the projects and get stuff done.

We couldn't even raise the money to do a simple pavilion upgrade to the Sun Bowl. Senter really lucked out with the last minute donation.

Reactions: Lil_Train
They're there because they're spending money on athletics. Theyre about to buyout their 2 million coach, pay an entrance fee to the aac, and possibly an exit fee to cusa.

Despite not having too much success they're able to raise the money for the projects and get stuff done.

We couldn't even raise the money to do a simple pavilion upgrade to the Sun Bowl. Senter really lucked out with the last minute donation.
Weird. Maybe being in the Dallas area is more beneficial to them than it is for UTEP and El Paso.

Stadium is just a small part of the facilities arm race.

That's their master plan. They've done the first two things on it.
Yeah, I found their website. UTEP could create a website too and announce big plans over the next 20 years. They could announce that they want to build a new baseball stadium for a baseball team that doesn't exist, just like North Texas. But how much of it is funded?

What happens when the AAC adds all these schools and the ESPN TV bucks don't come? When Rice doesn't deliver the Houston eyeballs, UNT doesn't deliver the Dallas eyeballs? Schools take on debt to build these facilities and nobody shows up?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Yeah, I found their website. UTEP could create a website too and announce big plans over the next 20 years. They could announce that they want to build a new baseball stadium for a baseball team that doesn't exist, just like North Texas. But how much of it is funded?

What happens when the AAC adds all these schools and the ESPN TV bucks don't come? When Rice doesn't deliver the Houston eyeballs, UNT doesn't deliver the Dallas eyeballs? Schools take on debt to build these facilities and nobody shows up?
UTEP should do that. It shows initiative. If they were smart they would have added the recent Sun Bowl renovations as part of it to show they're making progress on all the fictional things they want to do.

Next order of business is hire a good coach and pay him 1.5-2 million a year. That also shows youre serious. And if he fails be ready to buy him out.

UTEP should do that. It shows initiative. If they were smart they would have added the recent Sun Bowl renovations as part of it to show they're making progress on all the fictional things they want to do.

Next order of business is hire a good coach and pay him 1.5-2 million a year. That also shows youre serious. And if he fails be ready to buy him out.
That's a fair point. UNT certainly beats UTEP in the athletics marketing department.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT