ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sports CUSA Preview

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Watched yesterday hoping to see something about Utep and Nothing!!! On the West they mentioned S. Miss, La Tech and Rice. So the media isn't expecting the Big things many Miner fans believe this team is capable of, which is fine with me. Kugler should show this to his team, so they know, no one expects them to be competing for a CUSA title and they are gonna prove some people wrong!!!! Go Miners, I'm Juiced about this Year!!!

The QB and WR positions are the only real question marks. If that shows signs of life, we should be in a great position to compete for the West title. If those positions continue to be issues for us, then we may again struggle to make a bowl.

We can't run every play. Teams will continue to stack the box and AJ won't last half the season. Fingers crossed that kugs has it figured out.

Redix and Juniel are both small, quick receivers who can fly, and Quadraiz Wadley, a true freshman RB has speed to burn and showed it on a 10-yard out pass in scrimmage from Mark Torrez that he turned into a 70-yard TD by running by and away from the defense. The freshman from Andress, Eddie Sinegal, is another true freshman who can absolutely fly. We also have size, too, among some experienced wideouts in White, Batson and Freytag. From what I could tell from the scrimmage, the top three QBs, Greenlee, Metz and Johnson all look capable, but that was against our defense. Torrez doesn't look lost or afraid out there which is great to see at this stage of his career. Our runningback situation is deeper with Hughes, Powell and Wadley backing up Jones. Of course, we have Laufasa at FB and he's backed up by Kristopher Christian and converted LB David Jackson. The player I'm interested in seeing is Dove who is listed as a 6 foot, 250 RB. He could be the power guy that Kugs has coveted. Imagine that running behind Laufasa and the biggest O-line in the country. Could be a fun year if it translates to the field.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Dont sleep on the defense. The secondary is going to be outstanding. On the defensive front Sky Logan is a beast. I think hes the best d lineman we've had since chris mineo. The best of the jones brothers plays on defense. Alvin has really just scratched the surface of his potential. The personel we have fit the 3-4 like a glove.

I have never seen a UTEP football team with as much depth as this one. Kugler didnt go quick fix he's built this up brick by brick. Now they have to produce. Only three more weeks!

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
Watched yesterday hoping to see something about Utep and Nothing!!! On the West they mentioned S. Miss, La Tech and Rice. So the media isn't expecting the Big things many Miner fans believe this team is capable of, which is fine with me. Kugler should show this to his team, so they know, no one expects them to be competing for a CUSA title and they are gonna prove some people wrong!!!! Go Miners, I'm Juiced about this Year!!!
They did pick UTEP to go to the New Mexico Bowl vs Boise St, not that it means anything at this point. By looking at how they ranked all 128 teams they are putting UTEP ahead of 8 opponents and behind 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT