ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Strong.....

He'd make more if he took off 2 years based on his buyout of 10.7 million, I'd be ok Fire me I'll be on.vacation lol

Reactions: UTEP05
Firing Mack Brown was a good decision. He was nowhere near making Texas good enough to compete for the NC. Mack was on the decline and it was perfect timing to get rid of him.

Texas will hire Tom Herman, so it will be interesting to see of Houston goes after Briles. Hiring Briles pretty much guarantees that UH will stay at the same level they are at and will even be better with Briles.

Firing Mack Brown was a good decision. He was nowhere near making Texas good enough to compete for the NC. Mack was on the decline and it was perfect timing to get rid of him.

Texas will hire Tom Herman, so it will be interesting to see of Houston goes after Briles. Hiring Briles pretty much guarantees that UH will stay at the same level they are at and will even be better with Briles.
Briles should never coach again.

Briles should never coach again.
He probably won't due to the taint of scandal. However, I'm still not exactly sure what Briles did or did not do to make such a strong statement that he should never coach again.

Baylor won't release the full Pepper Hamilton Report. We don't know all the facts; just the allegations.

Reactions: FarWestTexas

I am NOT an insider, but reports are that Texas may offer Herman $60 mil over 5 years. I'm ALSO hearing Houston may offer Herman up to $60 mil, but spread over significantly longer period. Either way, folks, that is a lot of money.

One thing is for sure - Houston is a damn good gig and getting better. Depth is the only issue at this point, but incoming class is maybe top 10-15. There will be no shortage of established candidates, maybe even Fedora, if Herman goes. UH is willing to pay for the right person, including Herman, just can't get stupid or in a bidding war.

Art Briles is anybody's guess, remains to be seen if he's permanently damaged goods. If I were looking for a young, high end, FBS coordinator, Kendall Briles or Coach Orlando (current Houston D Coordinator) would be high on my list. Briles played at and graduated from UH, any HS coach in Texas will return his phone call.

I am NOT an insider, but reports are that Texas may offer Herman $60 mil over 5 years. I'm ALSO hearing Houston may offer Herman up to $60 mil, but spread over significantly longer period. Either way, folks, that is a lot of money.

Houston is a public university, the same as UTEP. Why does Houston get $60 million spending money to throw at a coach?

Are boosters paying for it? If not, who?

Houston is a public university, the same as UTEP. Why does Houston get $60 million spending money to throw at a coach?

Are boosters paying for it? If not, who?

Why do you not ask the same question about UT or Anm?

Tilman Fertita is to Houston what T. Boon Pickens is to OK State , Drayton McClain is to Baylor, Red McCombs is to Texas, etc. Boosters supplement and underright the contract.

Why do you not ask the same question about UT or Anm?

Tilman Fertita is to Houston what T. Boon Pickens is to OK State , Drayton McClain is to Baylor, Red McCombs is to Texas, etc. Boosters supplement and underright the contract.
True to an extent, although UT and A&M are the flagship universities, and I expect lavish treatment for flagships. I guess Houston is the flagship of the University of Houston system, but I wouldn't put that system (which doesn't encompass the state) on equal footing with UT and A&M.

T Boone Pickens is in a whole other ballpark. He has donated over a billion dollars to the university in total, and over $250 million for athletics specifically. From what I can tell from Google, Tilman Fertita has donated $20 million for Houston athletics, which isn't chump change, but probably puts him in the ballpark of Paul Foster.

If that is true with Houston offering Herman 60 million if I were Herman I would stay at u of h!!!! He will never have the pressure there that he would at Texas... he is already recruiting well.. has a good team in place for next year.... the competition isn't as strong in houstons conference.... to me it seems staying at u of h would be the best thing

If that is true with Houston offering Herman 60 million if I were Herman I would stay at u of h!!!! He will never have the pressure there that he would at Texas... he is already recruiting well.. has a good team in place for next year.... the competition isn't as strong in houstons conference.... to me it seems staying at u of h would be the best thing

Except that he's the kind of guy who wants it all. Natty or nada. If ya ain't first yer last. That is the man's ambition...to have an opportunity every year to make the playoffs. He has it good at UH, but our schedule will not line up again like it did this year, any time in the near future (two top 5 programs on the schedule). This was his best opportunity to get it done as coach of the Coogs. As you know, life at the G5 level has its disadvantages. I am very cautiously hopeful that he doesn't get the offer(s) that he is looking for and stays at Houston for the time being. It is a damn good gig, as you alluded to.

The guy would be an idiot to turn down UT. I am pretty sure Herman has high aspirations of winning a national championship as a head coach, since he has already won won at Ohio State as an OC. At Houston, Herman has to have an undefeated season to even have a chance at playing in the college football playoffs. Herman would be given anything he needs to compete for a national championship and he doesn't need to go undefeated every season to have a chance of playing in the playoffs for a NC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT