ADVERTISEMENT

CIT

We have a damn good coach what we need is for him to adapt and keep his players.... I mean come on imagine if we had hunter lee Moore and Wynn still on this team??? Although I think Wynn was a problem.... but the other two we would have been right there!! We went from 3-12 to 15-17 that's 12-5 and three of those losses were by what 5 points??? So this is to a pain free offseason sooner or later it has to happen!!!

Hate to break this to you Purple, but if we did have a damn good coach, why did we end up 15-17? Has this damn good coach won anything here in 7 years?
I will give them all props. The coaches and players could have packed it in early. They turned it around. BUT.....15-17....

#firefloyd

Like I just told a buddy, half the story is the impressive turnaround. The other half is that it had to happen. 2-13, 14-17, bottom line.

The question Coach Floyd should ask the team when they get back to El Paso is if they want to keep going. I mean WANT it. Winners keep playing, losers go home. If they are really hungry to keep playing, accept whatever tournament will have us. Otherwise, we call this season a wrap and look forward to next year. BTW, this was still a good turn around from the first half of the season.

May I ask where this talk about the CIT is coming from? Do we even know if they would even take a 15-17 UTEP team?

If the invitation does come, the answer is easy for me: do the players want to play in that tournament? If the answer is "Yes", then we should play. Otherwise we shouldn't. Simple.

Reactions: liebestraum
May I ask where this talk about the CIT is coming from? Do we even know if they would even take a 15-17 UTEP team?

If the invitation does come, the answer is easy for me: do the players want to play in that tournament? If the answer is "Yes", then we should play. Otherwise we shouldn't. Simple.

They would definiely invite UTEP if UTEP wanted to play?

I say yes and get the opportunity to keep playing as a reward for turning things around, giving DA more games and a chance to end with a winning record

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
The question Coach Floyd should ask the team when they get back to El Paso is if they want to keep going. I mean WANT it. Winners keep playing, losers go home. If they are really hungry to keep playing, accept whatever tournament will have us. Otherwise, we call this season a wrap and look forward to next year. BTW, this was still a good turn around from the first half of the season.

I disagree. When you let the players run ANY team you have chaos. Players play and do what they're told. When control is relinquished you have overprivileged types complaining when a decision is made that they don't like

Seeing how you have to be over .500 to get into the CIT, I hope you don't plan on staying up late Sunday to watch the CIT Selection show.

I dont think utep could be picky about tourneys. Tim Floyd should play any tourneys they get invited to. The team needs to get used to winning.

CBI is the only one they can play in. I have a fewlingbof invited they'll do it. It'll help springboard this team into next year after the turnaround. At least 5or6 key players will be returning

Reactions: miner1liner
CBI is the only one they can play in. I have a fewlingbof invited they'll do it. It'll help springboard this team into next year after the turnaround. At least 5or6 key players will be returning
It's not up to us whether they accept if invited. Not up to us to determine whether they even deserve a bid or not. The players and coaches will decide yes or no IF invited.
With this circus of a season in the books it's tough to make an intelligent evaluation of worthyness. It was so much fun (last part of the season) until yesterday which let all the wind out of our sails. So now; do they let the season end on a sour note or try again to salvage some pride by going to post season? I feel they will accept if invited.

I hate this silence from UTEP athletics. The anticipation until Sunday night is unnecessary. Would it kill them to have a simple message saying "we are interested in continuing the season" or "we will not participate in the post season." Teams like Towson, Grand Canyon and Auburn have already stated their season is over. It has been a roller coaster of a season and I want to know if there is another lap around the track or if it's time to get off.
They're probably not saying anything because there's nothing to say. Those 3 teams have a credible reason to publicly turn it down. A 14-17 team with a 222 RPI does not. The season's over.

I forget which Oregon team it was but didn't the team we lost to in the cbi final have a losing record going in?

Last season they had three teams including a 14-18 UNC Greensboro.

2015 one team.
2014 two teams.
2013 two teams.
2012 one team.
2011 one team.
2010 one team.
2009 one team. A 13-17 won the championship.
2008 one team a 13-19.

Yeah nothing new for the CBI.

I can't believe it has been ten years since this tournament started.

Anyone can have a Twitter account and send ridiculously outrageous tweets...Can't imagine who that describes! (Read: drenched w/ political sarcasm).

Not in the CBI or CIT. Either we turned the CBI down or the winning record meant something.....5th Place Rice is in the field.

C6w30FiW0AAR86D.jpg:large

http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/2016.php

Last edited:
As much as attendance dropped this year, neither tournament made sense to pay to get into. Practice continues until the the NCAA Championship game. The team may make more progress that way, while starting to heal the aches and pains and bruises of the season. My opinion.

Reactions: unihorn
What's puzzling is how La Tech didn't make the NIT and ODU nor Marshall accepted the CBI

Correct. CBI and CIT are basically pay to play tournaments when you get right down to it. The upside is what happened under Barbee at UTEP who 1)used the tournaments to develop the team. They made the championship against Oregon State in a stunning loss as OSU took over late in the game against a slightly more athletic UTEP squad and won 2 out of 3 series.2) UTEP fans were still a little high off the short lived BG era and Randy Culpepper had thoughts of Jeep Jackson (R.I.P) and Luster Goodwin dancing in our head and fans felt those 80's early 90's days were coming back. Doing those lower grade tournaments were a brilliant tatical move for Barbee's career.

Then CTF was hired and former players (like Fred Reynolds) were actually telling the local media UTEP will be back in championship form.

D.A. needs to get ready to take his game to the next level. I can definitely see him becoming an overseas star playing Europe because his skill set is that solid. And who knows what it can lead to? The NBA signs many many euro players to short term contracts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT