ADVERTISEMENT

Legit Question about Golding

What would he have to redeem himself this year and get your faith back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For me, the poll is incomplete. I'm interested in who stays. If he can keep the 3 freshman guards, I'll be impressed. And with the portal door open to anyone who wants to leave, who exits?
Of course a lot of it comes down to money. Who can we afford to keep?
If there is a mass exodus, we'll need to go shopping for a new coach.
I like Golding and I like his style of play. The Jax and Liberty games gave me renewed hope. If we keep playing like that consistently I'll be very happy.

For me, the poll is incomplete. I'm interested in who stays. If he can keep the 3 freshman guards, I'll be impressed. And with the portal door open to anyone who wants to leave, who exits?
Of course a lot of it comes down to money. Who can we afford to keep?
If there is a mass exodus, we'll need to go shopping for a new coach.
I like Golding and I like his style of play. The Jax and Liberty games gave me renewed hope. If we keep playing like that consistently I'll be very happy.
Losing Jones would hurt . He's a good building Block and should start next year unless Golding can over recruit him (which I doubt). What is Golding going to do play 2 centers or 4 guards?

Last edited:
If Golding were to win a national championship, then who WOULD be the right coach? A coach that doesn't win one? This might be the dumbest take I've ever read on Rivals. Please post less.
Take it easy — he has dementia. 😲

• Haha
Reactions: fwahbevo
Anyway, my point stands. If Golding can retain most of the talent, I'll be impressed. Besides losing so many after year 1, he's been able to keep the best players. We lost Z but that was apparently a blessing.
If he had stayed, Onyema would have been fine playing against CUSA competition as he showed late last season. He also would have not been playing behind the level of talent he is seeing at UT.

On the the must keep guys, I would include Frazier, Camper, and Terrell. I list those guys because I could see them getting some interest ($$$) to move up. Even if Golding is able to keep those guys, plus Horton, Jones, and Kalu he has alot of work to do in the portal. Even at the CUSA level, it is very difficult to win with inexperienced guys. The rosters are built to win now, and Golding will need to replace guys that have played a ton of significant minutes this year.

Last edited:
If he had stayed, Onyema would have been fine playing against CUSA competition as he showed late last season. He also would have not been playing behind the level of talent he is seeing at UT.

On the the must keep guys, I would include Frazier, Camper, and Terrell. I list those guys because I could see them getting some interest ($$$) to move up. Even if Golding is able to keep those guys, plus Horton, Jones, and Kalu he has alot of work to do in the portal. Even at the CUSA level, it is very difficult to win with inexperienced guys. The rosters are built to win now, and Golding will need to replace guys that have played a ton of significant minutes this year.

Fools Golding MUST find a way to keep your first three. Frazier is the experienced leader we need next year. Camper can provide some consistency going from this year into next. Terrell is a stud. Best hope is that he will feel a sense of loyalty to UTEP based on his parents having played here also.

Horton is an interesting guy. Has gotten good minutes and shown an ability to contribute. Jones; well, I dunno. Golding has mostly kept Jones on the bench. I have no idea of his ability. And we know that Manos de Piedra is a solid defender and contributor in many ways except for scoring.

We talk about what we need in the way of players but I think Golding needs to bring in a young, experienced former player -- not necessarily a former Miner -- that can relate to these guys and be a mentor to them. A calming and reassuring voice that can help them understand that moving to UT for a quick payday may not be in their best interest.

Most of these guys will work a 9 to 5 like the rest of us. Why waste your college career riding the pine at UT when you can get real court time at UTEP and maybe leave behind a legacy that people will remember. Your actual degree will be fine for a 9 to 5 whether from UT or UTEP and, depending on your career path, may be better from UTEP.

Fools Golding MUST find a way to keep your first three. Frazier is the experienced leader we need next year. Camper can provide some consistency going from this year into next. Terrell is a stud. Best hope is that he will feel a sense of loyalty to UTEP based on his parents having played here also.

Horton is an interesting guy. Has gotten good minutes and shown an ability to contribute. Jones; well, I dunno. Golding has mostly kept Jones on the bench. I have no idea of his ability. And we know that Manos de Piedra is a solid defender and contributor in many ways except for scoring.

We talk about what we need in the way of players but I think Golding needs to bring in a young, experienced former player -- not necessarily a former Miner -- that can relate to these guys and be a mentor to them. A calming and reassuring voice that can help them understand that moving to UT for a quick payday may not be in their best interest.

Most of these guys will work a 9 to 5 like the rest of us. Why waste your college career riding the pine at UT when you can get real court time at UTEP and maybe leave behind a legacy that people will remember. Your actual degree will be fine for a 9 to 5 whether from UT or UTEP and, depending on your career path, may be better from UTEP.
UTEP isn’t competing with UT.

Good players come for the coach and for money. It’s really that simple.

Reactions: Lil_Train
One guy I am looking forward to seeing next year is KJ Thomas. Golding may have something by pairing him with Terrell. Although they both play the point, Thomas is much more of a scorer. Obviously the issue is that they are both young, and Golding needs to win asap or he may not see a fifth season. Terrell needs to develop a jump shot, as well as his offensive game in general, but his defense is elite for a freshman. Thomas's team is still playing in the state tournament.

I wouldn’t care if he won the national championship. He’s not the right coach for the job. Fool’s Golding needs to go, and take Senter with him too.
No worries. If he were to win the national championship, he would be poached anyway.

UTEP isn’t competing with UT.

Good players come for the coach and for money. It’s really that simple.

My point exactly. Guys like Z came to UTEP first because it was one of few if not their only option. They came for the coach and the opportunity. Why waste away what could be a lasting legacy to get a few dollars riding the pine at a school like UT?

My point exactly. Guys like Z came to UTEP first because it was one of few if not their only option. They came for the coach and the opportunity. Why waste away what could be a lasting legacy to get a few dollars riding the pine at a school like UT?
Good points. I agree with most everything you said.

I will say, if Z was offered 250k, as was posted on here before, that’s more than a few dollars. He could finish his education at UT, take his time figuring out his next step, set himself up with a hefty down payment on a home, get a nice car, etc. All at the unripe age of 23, 24 ish. Hard to pass that up when the alternative is splitting minutes with the likes of Manos de Piedras, Solomon and JDA.

A lot to unpack to do here of Golding comments. One who doesn’t care if he won the NC to the departure of Z to UT for the money, the school but rides the pine.

However, intermingled is talk of the actual contributors here, on UTEP soil.

Is this really Frazier’s team? Yes, but along with Terrell. The kid earned 5x FOTW and should be a lock for FOTY for CUSA. While 25 plus wins and a tourney bid is what we expect of any UTEP coach, but have not had, a FOTY is a big, big freaking deal for any D1 program. You now have a foundation looking for the capstone for next year, and that’s if he stays. This is DT Jr.’s team with a clause for more stock option's. We hope he gets reverent advice this spring.

Jones got kind of screwed. Golding has adopted UTEP’s steel lid information approach of not sharing to the fans what, why and how come? Jones has major upside. This is not like football where you keep the young up n comer on the sideline to shadow the legendary starter. You must be on the hardwood to sharpen your skills.

Horton dovetails with Jones. Golding was actually forthcoming about him and I appreciate that, but Horton is valuable support. Don’t be surprised if he leaves.

As stated above, a Camper/DTJr/Frazier combo should make Golding sleep better. EJ has to stay and Horton. Kalu didn’t have the year UTEP fans demanded; yes, demand. UTEP fans can be the most unforgivable hard ass fans I have ever known if an upperclassmen struggles. Yes, even worse than P5 fans. I will say it, KK deserves to leave a Miner if he so wishes. He can be his own worst enemy and 5 minutes later can swing the game with his rebounding and defense. His work ethic is solid and Golding needs a barrel chested muscle man.

Babacar Mbengue? Can he be UTEP’s rim protector? We hope and “hope springs eternal”. I got $5 on the table Ham comes back and that’s a good thing. Z is a memory guys. Stop fooling yourselves and put your UT hate guns back in your holster. Listen, most kids want to go to UT. The majority can’t qualify. He did, he went and he’s gone. (Go ahead, let me have it).

I got $50 that certain fans will STFU if, IF, Golding makes a run. Talk is cheap Trump lovers.

Reactions: axingfools1
A lot to unpack to do here of Golding comments. One who doesn’t care if he won the NC to the departure of Z to UT for the money, the school but rides the pine.

However, intermingled is talk of the actual contributors here, on UTEP soil.

Is this really Frazier’s team? Yes, but along with Terrell. The kid earned 5x FOTW and should be a lock for FOTY for CUSA. While 25 plus wins and a tourney bid is what we expect of any UTEP coach, but have not had, a FOTY is a big, big freaking deal for any D1 program. You now have a foundation looking for the capstone for next year, and that’s if he stays. This is DT Jr.’s team with a clause for more stock option's. We hope he gets reverent advice this spring.

Jones got kind of screwed. Golding has adopted UTEP’s steel lid information approach of not sharing to the fans what, why and how come? Jones has major upside. This is not like football where you keep the young up n comer on the sideline to shadow the legendary starter. You must be on the hardwood to sharpen your skills.

Horton dovetails with Jones. Golding was actually forthcoming about him and I appreciate that, but Horton is valuable support. Don’t be surprised if he leaves.

As stated above, a Camper/DTJr/Frazier combo should make Golding sleep better. EJ has to stay and Horton. Kalu didn’t have the year UTEP fans demanded; yes, demand. UTEP fans can be the most unforgivable hard ass fans I have ever known if an upperclassmen struggles. Yes, even worse than P5 fans. I will say it, KK deserves to leave a Miner if he so wishes. He can be his own worst enemy and 5 minutes later can swing the game with his rebounding and defense. His work ethic is solid and Golding needs a barrel chested muscle man.

Babacar Mbengue? Can he be UTEP’s rim protector? We hope and “hope springs eternal”. I got $5 on the table Ham comes back and that’s a good thing. Z is a memory guys. Stop fooling yourselves and put your UT hate guns back in your holster. Listen, most kids want to go to UT. The majority can’t qualify. He did, he went and he’s gone. (Go ahead, let me have it).

I got $50 that certain fans will STFU if, IF, Golding makes a run. Talk is cheap Trump lovers.
Quite possibly the best post you've made in forever. You don't seem to be on your knees "supporting" Golding, but instead make valid statements. Maybe he didn't hire you when he bought his house, eh?
I will say this, "if' Golding makes a serious run, I am ok with another year. However, if we lose tonight, I just don't care anymore. We will ABSOLUTELY be one and done in the conference tournament and Golding should drive back to Abilene on his on dime.

For the record, your last sentence was unwarranted, unneeded, and basically a stupid thing to say. Stick to UTEP sports bro. Oh hey, 2step...are you torn on what to watch tonight? Or do you have 2 tvs so you can absorb more lies on both? LOL

Define win a game in the tournament. Does that include beating a 13-18 SWAC school in the play-in game?
Lol probably a valid question 😹, but if Utep by miracle made it and ended on what would be a 6 game win streak and 19-15 they wouldn't be in the 16 play in game, I can bet money on it. Possibly still a 16 or or 15, but not play in 16.

Reactions: shyminer81
14 seed. Not that this f-n matters lol
I'd love to be in the position to argue about what seed UTEP gets in the NCAA haha lol Could you imagine after such a disappointing season so far to turn it around and go to the Dance!!! Lol 🤣 I don't think it happens and the only glimmer of hope is that Utep's playing better and CUSA is weak with the exception of La Tech who's still beatable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT